El Gunner
Hapless_Hans
RealGunner
Firenze
McLewis
37 posters

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16

Go down

The 19/20 Europa League Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The 19/20 Europa League Thread

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:44 pm

50/50 sounds about right.

The key to Sevilla's success right now is their defence. They keep the ball for long spells, counter-press when they lose it, and can rely on a speedy defence with smart centre backs who manage the space well. They can slow down United's transitions by either counter-pressing their defenders and deepest midfielders or by forcing their wingers and full-backs deep with their possession. Lope-ball is basically starving the other team of the ball.

BUT, Sevilla lack offensive firepower. Their attacking patterns are predictable. Play always goes down the wings where they look for overloads with Navas/Suso and Reguilon/Ocampos. They always look for the reverse pass to a blind-side run or a cross to the back post. Their midfield rarely runs into the box. If United protect the wide spaces well they can nullify a lot of Sevilla's threat.

Sevilla's midfield lacks physicality. Banega and Jordan are technical players who can be overwhelmed by athletic players. United would have an advantage there. Also, compared to Roma and Wolves, United have more quality in attack. They've got pace, dribbling, and players who can score from low-percentage shots. They don't need many shots to score. Sevilla leave space down the sides of their centre backs so I think Rashford and Greenwood can profit from that.

A lot of depends on Ole's line-up. If he goes 4-2-3-1 they'll have a great chance of winning. If he goes to a back three though they'll get stretched and passed off the pitch.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

The 19/20 Europa League Thread - Page 16 Empty Re: The 19/20 Europa League Thread

Post by Kick Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:14 am

Wolves played like it was a two leg tie.

Sevilla were the better team and deserved to go through.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:54 am

Easily the deserved team went through between Wolves and Sevilla.

Hoping Sevilla capture their 4th to further cement themselves as Kings of Europa.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:55 am

So we've the 2 semi-finals
Inter - Shaktar Donetsk
Manchester United - Sevilla

All 4 the clubs 've won this trophy ( Sevilla 5 times, Inter 3 times, United and Shaktar 1 time )

Both will be   balanced and interesting matches on paper . Worthy of a Europa League semi-final level .

Winning it is just a dream for me atm ..

The 19/20 Europa League Thread - Page 16 EfLBVSaWkAAx7Vh?format=jpg&name=medium
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:25 pm

Shaktar tends to do well against Italian teams since the latter seem to have a hilarious output of underestimating teams below the Top 4 leagues.

Shaktar who have been spectacular in Europe for a decade, all things considering definitely possess a threat here.

Yes they aren't the Shaktar of Lucescu with prime Douglas and Willian but I have a good feeling they will give Inter more than what most will expect.

Conte's Inter had a below average performance against Leverkusen so a lot more will have to be done against the Ukrainians beyond what was on display, on Monday.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:28 pm

Meh. There's no reason to waxtap lyrical about Donesz IMO
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:33 pm

The fitness levels of Italian teams (thanks largely to the league schedule) has been dreadful.

Inter's players looked beyond exhausted after the 60 minute mark.

Expect Waxtap to nick this one.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:02 pm

Robespierre wrote:So we've the 2 semi-finals
Inter - Shaktar Donetsk

All 4 the clubs 've won this trophy ( Sevilla 5 times, Inter 3 times, United and Shaktar 1 time )

Both will be   balanced and interesting matches on paper . Worthy of a Europa League semi-final level .

yup, pretty good final 4

and all 4 have a decent chance of beating each other

I'm not counting Shakthar out

the best thing about this, and I'm sure you can relate to it @robespierre

is that you can enjoy the games with no real pressure since we already secured champions league qualification through the league Proud

hoping for Inter vs United final

but United have looked very poor for the last several games, lack of rotation, players look a step behind fitness wise
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:04 pm

Shaktar are tough and an experienced team to play in Europe
Basel was poor but anyway yesterday I've noticed a fast and technical team , able to create problems as we are used to expect from them.

The path deserves respect too, knocked out two potential underdogs of the tournament as Benfica , and Wolfsburg (even for 3-0)

I agree about the athletic condition, Italian teams risk to not last for 90 minutes

Anyway I don't agree about the opinion on Inter performance against Leverkusen, I think Inter played a very good performance against Leverkusen though , at the end it should have finished 5-1 for us
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:34 pm

Firenze wrote:
Robespierre wrote:So we've the 2 semi-finals
Inter - Shaktar Donetsk

yup, pretty good final 4

and all 4 have a decent chance of beating each other

I'm not counting Shakthar out

the best thing about this, and I'm sure you can relate to it @robespierre

is that you can enjoy the games with no real pressure since we already secured champions league qualification through the league Proud

hoping for Inter vs United final

but United have looked very poor for the last several games, lack of rotation, players look a step behind fitness wise

I hate EL , except for when quarter finals come on.
CL is always great, since the Draw moment ( hype 100%, EL tie are sad and ugly instead) , the group , knock out games
Best thing ever in football

You know how much is frustrating to play EL if you support a big team . 6 years in a row in EL have created even a complex in me, I mean I even was afraid to finish 5th with +10 points

But if you reach quarter finals, it's different music for me.
I rate to win an International trophy comparable to joy for Scudetto.
Probably I feel more pressure than you , because you have already won this trophy few years ago under Mourinho...
Our nothingness lasts 9 years, breaking it with an International cup would be just amazing.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:06 pm

Robes come into the light.

Long since the EL was inaugurated I began the appreciation tour for Football's most under appreciated competition. This happened also to be when the UCL happened to be at its most plodding and predictable pace in the early part of the last decade.

It is just as prestigious as you would like it to be.

Problem is, Inter winning the EL in 2020 compared to 2010 in their CL win would just be a nightmare for Juventini and a Milanista in my form. Why? Inter of all grabbing the European trophies and not the ones expected to do so.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:24 pm

Europa League is not comprable to Champions League (UCL is the best thing in the football I repeat) of  course but nevertheless, for me Your Club to win Europa League >>>>> Your NT to win World Cup. That reflects my  personal difference of importance between club and NT.
@Jay29 , if you accept the barter .......
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:40 pm

Europa League for me is just way too overlooked is more the point.

Fortune favours Inter as a decade after their penultimate UCL win they win the Europa league. Maybe ten years later they win the third tier competition being introduced soon too.

Sevilla I see the favourites for this competition if not them somehow United grabbing it.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:29 pm

Jay29 wrote:50/50 sounds about right.

The key to Sevilla's success right now is their defence. They keep the ball for long spells, counter-press when they lose it, and can rely on a speedy defence with smart centre backs who manage the space well. They can slow down United's transitions by either counter-pressing their defenders and deepest midfielders or by forcing their wingers and full-backs deep with their possession. Lope-ball is basically starving the other team of the ball.

BUT, Sevilla lack offensive firepower. Their attacking patterns are predictable. Play always goes down the wings where they look for overloads with Navas/Suso and Reguilon/Ocampos. They always look for the reverse pass to a blind-side run or a cross to the back post. Their midfield rarely runs into the box. If United protect the wide spaces well they can nullify a lot of Sevilla's threat.

Sevilla's midfield lacks physicality. Banega and Jordan are technical players who can be overwhelmed by athletic players. United would have an advantage there. Also, compared to Roma and Wolves, United have more quality in attack. They've got pace, dribbling, and players who can score from low-percentage shots. They don't need many shots to score. Sevilla leave space down the sides of their centre backs so I think Rashford and Greenwood can profit from that.

A lot of depends on Ole's line-up. If he goes 4-2-3-1 they'll have a great chance of winning. If he goes to a back three though they'll get stretched and passed off the pitch.

Cheers for this. We have been shit lately and our record vs Spanish teams is dire. Sevilla are pretty good in this competition too. Plus have beaten us last time we faced each other. So, all things considered, I am expecting a 1-0 to us with Penandes scoring his umpteenth penalty. Lol. jokes apart, I do feel we will get ko'd out here. We have no answer to teams that press us high up the pitch. Matic and Pogba will give away possession far too easily, when teams do that. Anyway good luck.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 16 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16