El Gunner
silver
urbaNRoots
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Arsenal vs Spurs Empty Arsenal vs Spurs

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:39 pm

It is the first north London derby of the season as Arsenal face Tottenham Hotspur at Emirates Stadium.

Arsenal vs Spurs NINTCHDBPICT0004534065341

Team news

Rob Holding
Left knee. Continuing with on-field rehabilitation and successfully completed 90 for the U-23s against Everton on Friday.

Emile Smith Rowe
Groin. Successfully completed 80 minutes for the U-23s against Everton on Friday and 90 minutes for the U-21s against Northampton Town on Tuesday night.

Hector Bellerin
Left knee. Continuing with on-field rehabilitation. Progressing well and aiming to participate in full training in September.

Kieran Tierney
Groin. Continues to receive treatment and further assessments. Progressing well and aiming to participate in full training in September.

Dinos Mavropanos
Groin. Continues to receive treatment and further assessments. Progressing well and aiming to participate in full training in September.

Press conference - Unai Emery

on his first north London derby memories...
Good afternoon. At the beginning I want to speak about each match as different because we can remember last year's derby and the positives from it, some things were less positive. Above all I want to write a new derby [memory], a new match for us here. Against Tottenham it's a derby with our supporters at home and we want to be able to have a special day with them.

on whether that's the sort of intensity we need this weekend...
Yes, the intensity was very important but they are also going to try to play with their identity and we need to impose our gameplan against them, knowing it's going to be difficult. We need to look at our positioning offensively and defensively. Above all, we need to play each ball, each metre, each minute with that intensity. After, we need to be clever when we have the ball and are in good situations to make the difference against them. Also, I think it's a very, very big challenge for us and it's a very, very good moment, a good match and the possibility of winning against them on Sunday gives a chance for good success. We also remember that last year we finished behind them with only one point's difference in 38 matches. We are going to play against the Champions League finalists and there are a lot of positives for us, for our supporters, to enjoy that match on Sunday.

on the latest team news...
Rob Holding is training with us, playing with the under-23s but he is not 100 per cent to play on Sunday with us. We are working with him one way, playing with the under-23s and training with us, and also testing his performance each day and with each match with the under-23s. We think now he is getting better, he can play one match but not with the intensity we want on Sunday, for example.

on Bellerin and Tierney...
Really, we have to be calm but also we have to be demanding with their recovery, because we need them. That international break is going to give us two weeks to test them better than before, because now my focus with the team is the players that will be available on Sunday and to prepare with them. After that match, we will test different players and how they can be closer to us, to the team, to start playing with us.

on Mesut Ozil...
This week he is training well, he is progressing physically better and doing normal work for us. He is going to be closer for us and available for Sunday I think.

on whether Ozil will still be an Arsenal player at the end of the European window...
Yes, we’ve finished our transfer window and in Europe it’s going to finish on Monday. We cannot sign another player but we have some players who have the possibility to leave before the window closes. The club is working and some players know their situation. My focus and the team's focus is for the game on Sunday and being very concentrated on Sunday.

on whether Mesut could leave...
No, we are not speaking about the possibility he could leave.

on Monreal leaving...
Yes, there is a possibility.

on the diamond formation...
I understand (the question). We won with the diamond last year, and we lost with it. We can win and we can lose with the diamond. The consequence of the result on Sunday was not the diamond, but really we are ready to play with different tactical decisions. Last year we worked and used different formations with good performances because the players here have worked on different systems. Also, they have the habit of playing in different systems. We are more rich tactically with different formations and tactics and can change in each match and each moment in the 90 mins. On Sunday we will decide the best possible system for us, thinking of our gameplan and to adapt for Tottenham.

on playing Pepe, Auba and Laca together...
Yes, but be calm. My decision in each moment is thinking about how we are. For example with Lacazette he had a problem with his ankle This week is the best week of the last three weeks. He’s getting better and feeling better with his ankle, it’s very positive. With Pepe, he came here later than the others but he is getting and feeling better in each match. Aubameyang is very important for us, he scores two goals in the first two matches, he had two or three good actions in Liverpool. The most important thing for me is to have chances and after with players like Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe, Micki, Reiss, Ceballos and Mesut we can score with different players.

on whether they will play together on Sunday...
I think they can start together and they can play also during the match as all three, it depends how we decide our gameplan. But I am very optimistic for that situation, but not also those three players, also Nelson, Mkhitaryan, Willock, Ozil. We need to be able to make the best decisions, but above all, to have different possibilities with the players.

on David Luiz...
It is not easy for him, the adaption to us has been very quick, but I am very happy with him. His decision is very ambitious to come here and be with us, and he wants to help us. We can speak about some fault with one player or another player, but we can also talk about some good decisions and very good actions in each match from one player. And with him it’s the same. The penalty last Sunday, we cannot speak a lot about that, the action with Salah we cannot speak a lot about that. For example, for that penalty he has one yellow card so if he made a foul with Salah it’s the second. He was intelligent and we can speak about positive decisions and we can also speak about the goal. We are in our way and I like and want his mentality. I want his ambition. I want to transmit the ambition from him and me to other players. After we can be competitive.

on if this is a good time for us to play Tottenham and if we are the favourites...
For us, to play matches like last week against Liverpool and this week against Tottenham, the two teams who played the final of the Champions League last year, is amazing. I think it's the best test and every time is a good moment to play against them. Sunday, with our supporters, I think is the best moment to play and enjoy with our supporters in that match, that derby. After that is for the football. I think maybe that on Sunday, that match is the best match in the world for all football supporters.

on if he was a betting man, would he bet on Arsenal...
No, because I cannot.

on Harry Kane's scoring record in the derby...
Kane is a big and great player for them. But we also have very big and great players in our team. We are going to play with our game plan and also with respect to them, but also believing in our game plan and in our players and in our supporters, because they are going to help us. We need also to stop them, but thinking also that we have very good players to do that. Also, to show our best capacity and best performance on Sunday.

on what Tottenham player he would choose to be in his Arsenal team...
I am very, very happy with our players. Really, I respect them, I respect their coach, a very big coach and also they are doing a lot of things very positively with their players. But I trust and I want our players.

Predicted lineups

Leno
AMN Sokratis Luiz Kolasinac
Xhaka Torreira
Pepe Ceballos Aubameyang
Lacazette

Lloris
KWP Sanchez Alderweireld Vertonghen Rose
Winks Sissoko
Lo Celso Son
Kane
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Arsenal vs Spurs Empty Re: Arsenal vs Spurs

Post by urbaNRoots Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:55 am

Quiz: Can you name every Arsenal player to win a Premier League north London derby?

https://www.arsenal.com/news/quiz-every-arsenal-player-win-derby
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by silver Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:17 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Quiz: Can you name every Arsenal player to win a Premier League north London derby?

https://www.arsenal.com/news/quiz-every-arsenal-player-win-derby

80%

Spoiler:
silver
silver
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:00 am

^^ i had a different quiz to you silver, i had to name 100 hmm

anyway, my memory is gash, can't rename that many players that played for us.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:54 pm

before the start of the season i re watched this for umpteenth time Razz

Arsenal vs Spurs 5pur2-10

anyway hope we go with this

Jay29 wrote:
Leno

Maitland-Niles Sokratis Luiz Monreal

Ceballos Torreira Willock

Pepe Lacazette Aubameyang

Has to be the team against Spurs next week.

but cant see Xhaka being dropped
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:52 pm

Don't know what to expect tomorrow. We really should be beating them. But it all depends on how clinical we are and how our concentration is.

Team should be interesting to see. Midfield i say will be a difficult decision for Emery.

Really need a win tomorrow with Chelsea n United dropping points.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:46 pm

For your general information:

Eric Dier, N'Dombele, KWP, Foyth, Sessegnon are OUT due to injuries. Aurier has basically been ostracized for the RB position so it's really difficult for me to say if he will play or not. He should, but Pochettino has decided to be a really bad manager so far this season, so who knows what the madman will do. Same thing with Vertonghen. I imagine that Poch will stick with Davinson even though he is responsible for 2/4 goals that Spurs have let in so far and is not a very good CB at all, despite what people say.

Lloris
Aurier  Alderweireld  Sanchez  Rose
         Winks     Sissoko
Lamela        Lucas         Son
               Kane

This is my guess. But you never know with Poch. I'd personally welcome a 3-5-2 tbh, and it's possible Poch rolls with that.

But based on the way Poch has been so far this season, I'd be surprised to see Vertonghen, Lo Celso, or Eriksen start (although it's insanely obvious all three really ought to).

Spurs are in terrible form and haven't been that good at the Emirates recently so it should be an Arsenal win, but neither team has been convincing this season. As I bantered with Jay before, my guess is that whoever manages to put out a worse team between Emery and Poch will probably lose it, and by god will both managers try
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:15 pm

Whoops, I forgot that Dele is back. Swap either Lamela or Lucas for Dele. Probably Lucas.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:15 am

Why is this numpty trash talking our manager?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:32 pm

Leno; Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Luiz, Kolasinac; Guendouzi, Xhaka, Torreira; Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameayng

Disappointed neither Willock or Ceballos are starting, but at least the front three is there.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:35 pm

3 defensive midfielders man, Emery is something else...

Hopefully the front trio can bail us out.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:03 pm

Watch how 'Douzi adds nothing to this game except for being another midfield number :facepalm:
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:08 pm

Jay29 wrote:Leno; Maitland-Niles, Sokratis, Luiz, Kolasinac; Guendouzi, Xhaka, Torreira; Pepe, Lacazette, Aubameayng

Disappointed neither Willock or Ceballos are starting, but at least the front three is there.

You mentioned how the pace of the game was too quick for Ceballos against Pool (where he was awful), why would you want him in a NLD?

It probably won't be as fast of a game as Liverpool, but it is a NLD at the end of the day
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:10 pm

El Gunner wrote:Watch how 'Douzi adds nothing to this game except for being another midfield number :facepalm:

Want to see what his role is.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by mani88 Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:17 pm

If someone can get Xhaka killed before the second half please Clubber
mani88
mani88
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Want to put some blame on Emery, but how can you excuse all the stupidity of our defense and Xhaka
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:27 pm

week after week our weak defense let's us down. sigh
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:49 pm

The question is, is Xhaka so good with the ball that they can justify his awful defending?

I don't trust him. Doesn't matter how many passes he sprays about or long-range shots he gets on target. Defensively, he's a liability.

Disappointed with Sokratis, too. Had no business going for up for that head and left his backline is danger.

These moments of insanity from our defenders will continue to hold us back. Meanwhile, the rest of the team just isn't gelling all that well. There's no rhythmn about the play. They look okay when its 100mph and gung-ho, but they can't assert any control of anyone.

Pepe was bad too, tbh. Lacked composure in his final third actions.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:04 pm

There should never be talks about dropping Lacazette. He is just an immense no 9. But that is bad news for Auba because he is an elite goalscorer. That 2nd goal, laca would have never scored it. But Auba would have never scored Laca's first. And in order for Auba to score the 2nd, lacazette had to be off.

It's a bad situation because Auba isn't a wide player but the best thing we have to play there. It kills his game but what lacazette does in hte middle is just unrivalled.

I thought it was a bad midfield to start with but the problem came from individual errors. Again. I have said this many times how i really don't like like Sokratis. He is a solid CB. 7/10. that's all. Luiz, i thought had a great game other than the 1st goal where he could have communicated better (mostly sokrati's fault though).

Guendouzi was immense in the 2nd half man. That's what we like to see. Him having a role and taking responsibility. Not just sitting in midfield passing sideways. Great game by him.

It feels like 2 points dropped in the end.

With Pepe it's mostly about him wanting to do TOO much. Once he has that out of his system he will be fine. You can see defenders fear him already.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 pm

I’m used to seeing an Arsenal that can’t defend but under Emery our attacking football is just awful. No rhythm at all, no real gameplan, just a bunch of players running around like headless chicken all over the place, with the hopes that one of them can produce a moment of magic. We should be playing much better attacking football with the players we have available.

I don’t get him or his football.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:15 pm

Pepe looks elite when he's dribbling, and his passing looks decent, too. It's his shooting that's been bad so far. Too many wild shots from bad positions. Hopefully, it's just a case of these big games coming too soon for him and playing his way into form with consistent game time.

Auba/Laca is a compromise. Either one gets dropped or one plays out of position. With Pepe here now, they can't play as a front two. As said, Laca is brilliant as a lone striker. Works his arse off, fights for every ball, and holds off defenders well. But Auba's instincts are incredible. Maybe if Pepe or another winger starts scoring you can think about moving Auba to a sub role, but it'd be a very tough choice.

urbaNRoots wrote:I’m used to seeing an Arsenal that can’t defend but under Emery our attacking football is just awful. No rhythm at all, no real gameplan, just a bunch of players running around like headless chicken all over the place, with the hopes that one of them can produce a moment of magic. We should be playing much better attacking football with the players we have available.

I don’t get him or his football.

Was the same when he was coaching Sevilla. He practices one pattern of play (the old overlapping full back and cut back trick) but doesn't seem to work on anything else. Everything else just seems improvised or reactive.

I thought today he wanted the team to be aggressive and ride that derby day high. Probably thought they could catch Spurs while they're trying to settle, score a couple and then shut-up shop. Problem was, his team got carried away and didn't play with enough composure.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:15 pm

I must admit I am finding it hard to back Xhaka. He played this absolutely world class long pass around 70th minute but is that really justified the amount of errors he make?

Give it ter willock till ender da season imo

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:16 pm

Xhaka's qualities are easily replaceable imo. They can do a lot better.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:19 pm

glad we're all Xhaka OUT at this point.

Granted there's no defensive-mindedness to it, how would a Douzi-Willock-Ceballos midfield fair to you guys?

Maybe Torreira instead of Willock then for more maturity. I mean we might as well set a midfield with a good ball retention and offensive foundation because defensively we've been cursed since moving to the Emirates.

Last edited by El Gunner on Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:19 pm

Yea you would think so.

I really want Emery to try Willock-Guendouzi-Ceballos but not sure if Guendouzi can hold the midfield by himself.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next