New era manager no 2: Who should replace Unai Emery?

+24
Kick
Vibe
CBarca
The Demon of Carthage
sportsczy
McAgger
Raptorgunner
Eman
Unique
boyzis
AnJl
messixaviesta
iftikhar
Kaladin
Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
Hapless_Hans
Chumlum
Sina
S
Jay29
El Gunner
Twoism
urbaNRoots
28 posters

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

New era manager no 2: Who should replace Unai Emery? - Page 7 Empty Re: New era manager no 2: Who should replace Unai Emery?

Post by Jay29 Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:23 am

Sure does make you wonder when they started sounding out candidates. Did they wait until Wenger announced he was leaving? If so, that would explain how they missed out on Sarri, as Chelsea would have been talking with him well before then.

Also, the final two candidates were Emery... and Arteta. Not Allegri or even seasoned coaches like Lopetegui and Sampaoli. Yet Arteta's lack of experience and not having a readily available coaching team went against him in the end. So how the hell did he end up in the final two? Laughing Surely those would have been considered when the shortlist was drawn up in the first place.

None of this is inspiring much confidence in the regime, I have to say.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

New era manager no 2: Who should replace Unai Emery? - Page 7 Empty Re: New era manager no 2: Who should replace Unai Emery?

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:34 am

What about Tuchel? Not even a consideration for him? Marco Rose? Nagelsmann? What the hell?

And they are still backing Emery? I hoped that Sanllehi would be different, that he would be ruthless in search for success, but it appears that he is Gazidis with shady agent connections. A fucking idiot in regards to actual football.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:42 am

Is Arteta really a bad option? He's had a few seasons under Pep and having also played under Wenger, no doubt he'd play attractive football.

Sure he has no experience, but he'd certainly unify the squad and the fans, something which is clearly missing.

I don't doubt he could have an impact similar to Lampard.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:52 am

Specifically, Ornstein said they was more anger from the management at VAR than anything else, that the fans anger would have been directed at that if not for the Xhaka incident, and that the board "don't believe in knee-jerk reactions".

The first two points are clear deflections and attempts to obscure the real problem, but I can accept the knee-jerk thing to a degree, insofar as you don't want to sack the guy without a proper plan to replace him. We can only hope they've started that process.

Is Arteta really a bad option? He's had a few seasons under Pep and having also played under Wenger, no doubt he'd play attractive football.

Sure he has no experience, but he'd certainly unify the squad and the fans, something which is clearly missing.

I don't doubt he could have an impact similar to Lampard.

I'm not so sure about him unifying the fans, because I recall a lot of people were unhappy when it seemed he was going to get the job. Part of the problem there is that any of the good things Arteta might bring cannot be substantiated because he hasn't managed before. Whereas Lampard at least had a season at Derby.

There are other factors, too. Lampard is a Chelsea legend and that buys him more favour and time, on top of the transfer ban lowering expectations. Arteta is fondly remembered by Arsenal fans but he's not a club legend, and tolerance for things going wrong was low to begin with.

I think people would be more receptive of the Arteta idea now that Emery has been such a disappointment, but it's still far from the best situation for a young coach to step into. But even now, it seems fans are more keen to see Ljungberg get a chance than anyone else, since that legend status goes a long way.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:10 am

I wouldn‘t even be so mad at the decision to hire Emery if they just admitted to the mistake and tried to rectify it as soon as possible. Instead they double down with support even though fans hate him, even some players and staff. Embarrassing show of negligence that doesn‘t look very different to Gazidis‘ full support for Wenger, who at least was an Arsenal legend which made it more difficult.

Hell I‘ll even accept Raul Sanllehi masking this as Gazidis‘ mistake if he want, so long as he does it quickly. But no, his support shows that he was very insistent on hiring him and wants to desperately see him succeed.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:54 pm

At the time that we hired Emery, he honestly did seem the right choice. He was fairly young, accomplished, and truly proven managers were not available. Someone mentioned Sarri: at that time, he had won nothing as a manager and was coming from Napoli, versus Emery who had won all of those Europa Leagues and dominated in France with PSG. Of course we can say now that it hasn't been working out, but it's not as simple as just sacking him and hiring some other guy who might work out again and again. You need to have the right candidate available when you sack a manager.

I think we should go for Allegri when he is ready for English football and let him try to instill some defensive security. We don't have free-flowing attacking football right now anyway so just give us some security in some way. I'd also love Zidane if he gets sacked at Real Madrid. Emery is losing the plot but we have to be careful.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:59 pm

and how much experience does Zidane have besides having Ronaldo lead him to three CL wins?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:32 pm

Eman wrote:At the time that we hired Emery, he honestly did seem the right choice. He was fairly young, accomplished, and truly proven managers were not available. Someone mentioned Sarri: at that time, he had won nothing as a manager and was coming from Napoli, versus Emery who had won all of those Europa Leagues and dominated in France with PSG. Of course we can say now that it hasn't been working out, but it's not as simple as just sacking him and hiring some other guy who might work out again and again. You need to have the right candidate available when you sack a manager.

I think we should go for Allegri when he is ready for English football and let him try to instill some defensive security. We don't have free-flowing attacking football right now anyway so just give us some security in some way. I'd also love Zidane if he gets sacked at Real Madrid. Emery is losing the plot but we have to be careful.

I mean if you followed Sarri‘s Napoli, you‘d know that he had them competing with Juventus for Serie A with half the budget and broke the record for points without winning the league, all while playing beautiful attacking football. Everyone that understands how hard it is to compete against Juventus (and Bayern in the Bundesliga) rates that higher than winning the Europa League with Sevilla (which is really Emery‘s biggest achievement).

I can also confidently tell you that Nagelsmann and Marco Rose are better managers than Emery even though he has „achieved“ more. Sarri is better, Conte is better, Allegri is better. It was awful from our board that it came to him or Arteta.

And the fact that Allegri still hasn‘t been approached during this mess shows that they don‘t have the balls to make the decisions that will take us forward. They are going to go safe and wait until we are officially out of the CL race before they get rid of Emery. By that time, I expect Allegri to be a Man Utd/Spurs manager.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:32 pm

I would get rid of Emery and give the job to Ljungberg, we have nothing to lose.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:15 pm

^^same, at least on an interim caretaker role to see how he does, Raul and Edu can still talk and scout other managers if Freddie doesnt do a good job.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:21 pm

it should be Rafa Benitez until the end of the season
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by FRANTIC Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:03 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:If you think what Thomas Tuchel could do with this squad

Wow. You’re still here then. Just seen your name and nearly spit my beer over my phone..

Wink
FRANTIC
FRANTIC
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:18 pm

Miguel Delaney of the Independent did a behind-the-scenes piece on Arsenal recently, with some concerning pieces of information.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/arsenal-emery-xhaka-ozil-behind-the-scenes-a9180336.html

To sum up:
- Many young players at the club make impressions of Emery, which are said to be more cynical than playful. He quotes a training ground source as saying they "mercilessly take the piss out of" of him.

- Some players are struggling to understand what Emery is telling them, due to him being unable to speak English well enough. It's a problem he had in France as well.

- There is a "feeling" he's losing the players bit by bit, but Delaney does say he's liked well-enough on a personal level.

- The big claim here is that some senior players are "just not having" Emery due to doubts over his tactics. Delaney also claims that player weaknesses just aren't being worked on. (God, that would explain so much...)

- The training sessions are "immensely detailed", but players are feeling there are too many changes on a game-by-game basis.

- Reiterates there's no will to sack him at the moment, and that the management seem content to wait until the end of the season.

Of course, we can and should doubt the veracity of the sources here, but expository pieces like this do tend to be results of leaks from someone, especially when they show up in multiple places.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:10 am

FRANTIC wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:If you think what Thomas Tuchel could do with this squad

Wow. You’re still here then. Just seen your name and nearly spit my beer over my phone..

Wink

Holy shit @Frantic

how are you mate

what's the old crowd doing?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:58 pm

Voted Sack now ofc
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:05 am

Sack now, easily. We've seen enough, man doesn't know what he is doing. No harm in letting Freddie take the caretaker role for now
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:12 am

Mourinho or we riot

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:53 am

Mourinho is everything that Arsenal is not. I’m not prepared to sacrifice our values and identity by bringing him in. Maybe I’m just being dramatic but if he comes in, I’d seriously struggle to support us. Literally my least favourite person in football.

I do think that most of our fans are being a bit irrational in thinking that just about anyone would be better than Emery, including guys who have accomplished fuck all but happen to be doing okay at the moment. That said...I just don’t see how Emery comes back from this shit run of form that we’re on. He isn’t Arsene Wenger who earned our loyalty. Get rid of this guy ASAP.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:26 am

Jose Mourinho 'dines with Arsenal chief Raul Sanllehi' with Unai Emery on the brink

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jose-mourinho-dines-arsenal-chief-20800649

It‘s the Duncan Castles but I‘m desperate for news.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:56 am

Castles is Mourinho's number one fan and supposed mouthpiece, so there's probably some substance to it.

I'm not keen, though. Mourinho is on his way down as a manager. He hasn't left a club on good terms since Inter Milan a decade ago. Even if I accept a compromise on playing style because of the situation (and the fact that their "ideal" coach might not be available right now), I'm not convinced he's the right replacement for Emery.

Being as fair as I can to him, his attacking football isn't that bad provided he has the quality, and Arsenal has that. But on the other hand, his approach relies on a solid defence and he definitely does not have the right players for that.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:47 pm

The biggest reason I want Mourinho is so he can change the defeatist mentality which has been at the club for 4-5 years now. I want nothing else from him other than that and he is excellent at it.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:13 pm

Mourinho is not my first choice but if it‘s just between Emery and Mourinho, I choose Mourinho every day.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:07 pm

Arsenal sources have said Sanllehi and Mourinho haven't spoken in two years. Denied they had dinner.

News now saying the club's position is unchanged; that they're "frustrated" by results but feel they have a good team and things will get better.

Hopefully, that's just PR and not what they actually feel.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:11 pm

Yea it would be unlike Arsenal to go all out against the manager. At worse i think we will just play this season out and say by to Emery.

But hopefully the Leicester defeat ends his reign. I mean Emery is a great guy. Likeable personality but this job is too high up his chain.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:15 pm

I really hope there is no truth to Mourinho talk, I would give the job to Ljungberg until summer when there are better managers available.

Chelsea Mourinho was a winner now he is just another bum trying to get a job.lol
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by boyzis Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:41 pm

Mourinho it is for me. Rafa is my second choice. I dont trust young ones. Arteta and Xabi the 3rd Option.

Myself as 4th Option.

boyzis
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next