Luca
CBarca
Ion Creanga
Harmonica
Kaladin
42 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Buffoon would sooner drag Juve and the Italy NT than retire - Page 3 Empty Re: Buffoon would sooner drag Juve and the Italy NT than retire

Post by juvealbanian Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:31 pm

I didn't mean to offend but this guy trying to throw shit on a stellar 20 year old career based on one unlucky free-kick was way too much.

juvealbanian
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Buffoon would sooner drag Juve and the Italy NT than retire - Page 3 Empty Re: Buffoon would sooner drag Juve and the Italy NT than retire

Post by BarcaLearning Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm

The guy is 40yo, his performances consider his age is incredible. Definitely one of the best if not the best GK of his era.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:39 pm

He disrespects Juve on a daily basis

Buffon got his fair share of hatred already... the downside of being a perfect man i suppose
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Yeah it might be time for him to hang up his boots.

One of the all time greats though.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:54 pm

Expect a renewal soon enough.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:59 pm

Regardless of nonsense said in this thread he isn't finished. He comes back from the injury and saves a penalty against Atalanta last week. He had some good saves then he made mistakes. He had a bad game, it happens.

The best news Juve could get is that Buffon decides to extend this summer instead of retiring. Its all set and everyone in the club (including Buffon) agrees that Szczesny will be #1 next season. Having Buffon as second keeper would be incredible. Better than being stuck with a Consigli.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Demon of Carthage Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:46 pm

I agree too that Buffon isn't finished, but he's definitely not elite anymore and is rapidly declining.

I have always thought that legends shouldn't wait until they fall off the elite ladder to hang up their boots. It's better to leave on a high note than wait long enough until you're just a shadow of your former self and your club's fan base are begging you to retire.

Granted, Buffon hasn't reached that stage yet, but he definitely shouldn't wait until his Juventus' number 2 goalkeeper. He's too big a legend for that.

Something tells me though that if he wins the CL this year, he won't renew. It's the one trophy I feel he's dying to get.
The Demon of Carthage
The Demon of Carthage
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Still gonna stick with he is going down the Iker road. In fact, he is very much on the road and having a wonderful stroll. He even has the support Iker had when folks were saying he is either finished or rapidly declining.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:02 pm

If this was the 2014-15 Jjuventus - the best Jjuventus of late, imo - I'd agree that Buffon should be the 2nd choice keeper.

Let's not, however, pretend that this Jjuventus would be challenging for the CL even with De Gea in goal. They're all right, but constantly trying to replace key departures with "shrewd" signings. It can only last so long. I find it only fitting that Jjuventus's golden age is declining side by side with Buffon.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Doc wrote:Still gonna stick with he is going down the Iker road. In fact, he is very much on the road and having a wonderful stroll. He even has the support Iker had when folks were saying he is either finished or rapidly declining.

It's hugely disrespectful to call it the Iker road. Casillas was deemed not good enough when he was 34 and had to go to frigging Portugal. Buffon has since that age made two CL finals.

Casillas declined quite early for a goalkeeper due to lack of motivation, Buffon is declining due to age.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:14 pm

What? Iker didn't decline because of motivation. Where in the world you get that from man? He declined because of age, he no longer could have done the things he used to do that made him a legendary goal keeper. I know you rarely watch football outside of England but Jesus, that one should have been known to you.

And that's the Iker road. Not sure how is that disrespectful. That's just a name I come up with. Could have used "Raul" or "Totti". Players decline, normal stuff. Doesn't change his legacy, doesn't change how much great things he did but it's road that is very often traveled.

If Jjuve fans wanna be all sensitive about it and think it's an insult, I cannot stop them nor do I really care. But for what it's worth, I ain't being disrespecting this great man. Just calling it as I see it from my own perspective.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:29 pm

Doc wrote:What? Iker didn't decline because of motivation. Where in the world you get that from man? He declined because of age, he no longer could have done the things he used to do that made him a legendary goal keeper. I know you rarely watch football outside of England but Jesus, that one should have been known to you.

And that's the Iker road. Not sure how is that disrespectful. That's just a name I come up with. Could have used "Raul" or "Totti". Players decline, normal stuff. Doesn't change his legacy, doesn't change how much great things he did but it's road that is very often traveled.

If Jjuve fans wanna be all sensitive about it and think it's an insult, I cannot stop them nor do I really care. But for what it's worth, I ain't being disrespecting this great man. Just calling it as I see it from my own perspective.
It is similar to how people weren't calling out Gerrard when he was clearly holding us back towards the end of his time with us.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:42 pm

Its not similar as he isn't holding us back from anything. He was immense last season. Best keeper in the league and was huge for us in CL as well. Not that these awards are too accurate but iirc he won GK of the year in italy and europe.

People watch him play 3 games a year, maybe he makes a mistake on one of them and say he is holding us back when he is a certainty and is huge in the other 50 games.

As Art said as well, its pretty off comparing his aging to Casillas when he is 40 and playing a lot better than Casillas did since years ago.

The Demon of Carthage wrote:

Something tells me though that if he wins the CL this year, he won't renew. It's the one trophy I feel he's dying to get.

If he wins CL he extends as he never played in the club world cup.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:44 pm

I remember Casillas last press conference as a Real Madrid player. Kicked out of the team and all alone with tears of sadness in his eyes.

Not gonna happen here i'm tellin ya
If Buffon wants a renewal he will get it 100%, he has done too much for the club. Thankfully he is a humble and hard-working person, in some interview he implied that if he signs a new contract he will accept the 2nd gk role.

Buffon's decline is mostly hypothetical at this point... just came back from injury and 3 games in 10 days. In last autumn games he was a non-factor and 2016-2017 he was GOAT as always hmm
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:46 pm

Doc wrote:What? Iker didn't decline because of motivation. Where in the world you get that from man? He declined because of age, he no longer could have done the things he used to do that made him a legendary goal keeper. I know you rarely watch football outside of England but Jesus, that one should have been known to you.

Casillas definitely declined because of motivation. He had won everything and just wasn't up to it at the highest level no more. A goalkeeper of his level wouldn't be leaving Real Madrid to coast in Portugal if he was still motivated.

I remember seeing a short video on GL taken from Madrid's training around the time Madrid signed Navas. Navas was working some jumping exercise like a pro athlete while Casillas was making some half-arsed jumps that would do nothing to help your ability.

Casillas won everything and lost motivation, therefore declined surprisingly early and drastically. Whereas Buffon is finally past it due to age.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm

Of course if he wants stay he should stay. He is someone that, if he wants, should be able to stay at Juventus for life in a directorial role. Same with Chiellini, who already has his position lined up, or Marchisio. Like Nedved before, Del Piero, or Conte.

He said he will sit down reflect and discuss with Agnelli at the end of the season.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 pm

Arte, stop talking foolishness based on one short vid. Iker didn't decline due to motivational issues. He no longer had the insane reflexes and keen one v one understanding anymore. That had nothing to do with "motivation" and mostly if not all to do with his own physicality declining which usually comes with age.

And we all know players age differently. Clearly Buffon was able to age way more gracefully than a lot of keepers including Iker.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Doc wrote:Arte, stop talking foolishness based on one short vid. Iker didn't decline due to motivational issues. He no longer had the insane reflexes and keen one v one understanding anymore. That had nothing to do with "motivation" and mostly if not all to do with his own physicality declining which usually comes with age.

And we all know players age differently. Clearly Buffon was able to age way more gracefully than a lot of keepers including Iker.

Dude, when have world-class goalkeepers declined due to age as badly as Casillas did at 34?
Kahn played for Bayern till he was 38.
Smeichel played for United till he was 37.
Van der Sar played for United till he was 40.
Buffon's 40 and has been top class up until recently.

The difference between those guys and Casillas is that they remained driven until age inevitably caught up with them. Casillas declined because he was no longer driven i.e. motivated.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:22 pm

Because everyone's bodies improve and decline at the very same rate?! Motivation, lol. Yeah, sure Arte. Iker's decline was based on a very intangible measurement. His physicality had not a damn thing to do about that.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by giovanni_milan Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:54 pm

every year its the same crap, he's finished, he sucks

at 32 after his back issues he was "finished," then again for the subsequent 8 years hes been "past it" despite winning 7 serie a titles, a few coppas and going to the Champs league final twice.

Granted his movement isnt quite what were used to from him, but coming off an injury at 40 surely must play a part in the way he played vs tottenham

Also its obvious that he cant be the physical presence quite like we're used to, but its clear some people just want to call the narrative of him being finished

inb4 he has yet another great game (like the one at Atalanta recently) and this thread goes away for another year

sometimes it really irks me how limited some peoples memories are, honestly some of you should show a little more respect for a man playing in his 40's

not to mention how huge a presence he has in the dressing room and as an ambassador to the game

i think he can retire damn well when he wants, hes more than earned it

see ya'll in 6 months to a year with the same crap (provided he doesn't call time on his outstanding career)

giovanni_milan
giovanni_milan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:41 pm

Curious actually about what exactly happened at the end with Casillias at Real? All I remember was Mou being poison and there was a dressing room split.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:26 pm

This heat from Juve fans Buffoon would sooner drag Juve and the Italy NT than retire - Page 3 Full?d=1480046835

Where's my tag-in? @WWERobespierre @Robespierre
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Actually, just remembered he let in a Ribéry shot in embarrassing manner in the CL 2013 and Beckenbauer back then already called it a grandpa-like performance.

He hasn't been at his best in many years, which is really not that surprising, and it's more than obvious a performance like vs Spurs is costing Juve big time.
If Juve, as Serie A serial winners and wannabe elite team, don't progress vs the 5th place team in PL, this is hugely embarrassing and in this instance to a large degree down to a bad Buffon performance.

Juve fans need to get their heads out of the sand IMO.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:05 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:Actually, just remembered he let in a Ribéry shot in embarrassing manner in the CL 2013 and Beckenbauer back then already called it a grandpa-like performance.

He hasn't been at his best in many years, which is really not that surprising, and it's more than obvious a performance like vs Spurs is costing Juve big time.
If Juve, as Serie A serial winners and wannabe elite team, don't progress vs the 5th place team in PL, this is hugely embarrassing and in this instance to a large degree down to a bad Buffon performance.

Juve fans need to get their heads out of the sand IMO.

Listen here hans, we outperformed your little squadrant in every season since 2014 with Gigi in net for it all

Its now 2018 and ya'll are here thinking you made some sort of great prediction in saying a 40 year old keeper in his final season is passed it- what a revelation. I'm surprised ya'll aren't millionaires from playing the stock market like brothers @rg and @tom

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Luca Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

And for everyone, and I include myself here, who condemns any player as finished after they make mistake or even a series of mistakes:

It's fine, just don't always think it must lead to a larger than life conclusion because more often than not, it does not

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:24 pm

Kaladin wrote:This heat from Juve fans Buffoon would sooner drag Juve and the Italy NT than retire - Page 3 Full?d=1480046835

Where's my tag-in? @WWERobespierre @Robespierre

Got your back fam

https://78.media.tumblr.com/20e49d5fc87b6404cde86937c3fda76e/tumblr_oxjeeqoGtR1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Watch him be in UEFA team of the year again with Alves because he saved that straight header from Kane.

Guy should be third choice at Juve.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next