Can't wait ffs

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 10 - Page 2 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 10

Post by Freeza Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:40 am

CBarca wrote:Hype af for that movie

Also thought ghost in the shell would absolutely bomb with critics so it's doing well for itself

I jinxed it though. Plummeted after I wrote that. Had 73% on first 45 reviews
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:49 am

Ghost in the shell trailer looks awful. I can't imagine it being good.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Glory Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:54 am

Freeza wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDcAlo8i2y8

we back lads

:bow:
This movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The best running franchise atm by a country mile. True successor to Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy.
Can't effin wait.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:58 am

Best running franchise is probably Mission Impossible because of Tom Cruise
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:06 am

I didn't realize this new planet of the apes reboot was supposed to be good. I just avoided it so far. I'll have to give them a try.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:37 am

rincon wrote:I didn't realize this new planet of the apes reboot was supposed to be good. I just avoided it so far. I'll have to give them a try.

Good? It's amazing. Sooooo great
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:54 am

Don't call me James wrote:Ghost in the shell trailer looks awful. I can't imagine it being good.

Watch the original anime film (inb4 cartoon rofl) We wouldn't have the Matrix without it.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Freeza wrote:
rincon wrote:I didn't realize this new planet of the apes reboot was supposed to be good. I just avoided it so far. I'll have to give them a try.

This

They are fantastic. Specially the 2nd one.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:23 pm

RealGunner wrote:
Freeza wrote:

This

They are fantastic. Specially the 2nd one.

Can't wait to see which Villain he's going to give us in his Batman film. If it's half as good as Koba I'm going to ecstatic
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:55 pm

First one is pretty good, but not amazing. Second one was fantastic.

Really looking forward to this one

They've done a really good job with the franchise
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:06 am

Ghost in the Shell flopped hard in USA. I thought the whole point of getting a "Big name" and not making Matoko Kusanagi Asian was so that people would actually watch it and that it wouldnt flop. 19 million lol even Madea movies make more than that. rofl rofl rofl rofl

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:42 pm

The white-washing (even though it really wasn't) angle really killed its momentum here. People associate anime with Japanese (asian) characters so even though the Major in the anime was designed to look white, which was reflected in ScarJo's casting, it was never going to catch on well here due to that association.

Will be interesting to see if Netflix can do better with Death Note.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:48 pm

Moonlight, wow. One of the realest movies out there. How the hell did Trevante Rhodes not get nominated for any major awards? I felt he was better than Ali. Teenage Chiron was amazing too. It was beautiful looking movie too, top notch cinematography.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:01 pm

A question here. Is the Japanese version of Fullmetal Alchemist also racist? Aren't those characters European?
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:02 pm

M99 wrote:Moonlight, wow. One of the realest movies out there. How the hell did Trevante Rhodes not get nominated for any major awards? I felt he was better than Ali. Teenage Chiron was amazing too. It was beautiful looking movie too, top notch cinematography.

About time someone joined me on that train
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Freeza wrote:A question here. Is the Japanese version of Fullmetal Alchemist also racist? Aren't those characters European?

I would guess yes, if one is racist so is the other.

Which is bullshit to be honest, none of them are racist. Needless complaints for the most part in all these movies.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:44 pm

McLewis wrote:The white-washing (even though it really wasn't)  angle really killed its momentum here. People associate anime with Japanese (asian) characters so even though the Major in the anime was designed to look white, which was reflected in ScarJo's casting, it was never going to catch on well here due to that association.

Will be interesting to see if Netflix can do better with Death Note.

Even when the character is supposed to be/look asian(Speed Racer,dragon ball) even the white audiences  don't respond well to this. The idea that a movie would flop because an Asian actress doesnt have appeal is hilarious when these films flop even when a white lead is given the role. There is 0 reason why Matoko Kusanagi couldnt have been a vehicle in which an Asian actress, who are already underrepresented in starring roles, could launch her career. Everybody outside of rich hollywood execs agree with this looking at the fact people don't see these films.

Freeza wrote:A question here. Is the Japanese version of Fullmetal Alchemist also racist? Aren't those characters European?

You aren't comparing the film industry of a small homogenous nation to one of a melting pot which ships their movies everywhere are you? How many European actors right now are based in Japan that can speak enough Japanese to carry a japanese film?  Asians have been a part of the American experience for centuries. You cant even walk around hollywood without being in Asian enclaves.

rincon wrote:

I would guess yes, if one is racist so is the other.

Which is bullshit to be honest, none of them are racist. Needless complaints for the most part in all these movies.

Its not bullshit. Its a true problem which screws over asian actors.

Here is an Asian American actor discussing auditioning for death note, and people outright saying they don't want Asians:

This is a problem, and everybody agrees because even white people are rejecting this whitewashing. Its really just rich hollywood execs doing this.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:59 pm

So every Asian American should get Japanese American roles hmm but white people shouldn't get roles in Asian films.

Death Note has an an Asian adaptation.

There's so much of a double standard from everyone when it comes to these things really.

I'd love for more Asian actors to get roles. But who at the right moment could sell a movie.

It just doesn't make sense for me to want every single character to be Asian in an American film.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:26 pm

The guy in that video is doing himself no favors with that intro Laughing but after that cringe first minute, its actually a sensible video.

Don't buy his argument at all though. Also don't see how a movie like FMA gets a pass for doing the same thing.

Someone is investing a ton of money to make a movie for profit and he has to cast a certain ethnicity... why?

He brings up dragon ball when its a bunch of aliens and talking animals and monsters and monkey men, etc. Who gives a shit? Or airbender, isn't that american?

In FMA the very aptly named Edward Elrich, Alphonse and Van Hohenheim are very clearly meant to be european-like. Its even important to the story. Yet if someone wanted to make an adaption (like they did) and make them japanese then sure, go ahead.

Everyone has their own vision, specially when they say that they are not even remaking something, but re-imagining.

Last edited by rincon on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:26 pm

Freeza wrote:So every Asian American should get Japanese American roles hmm but white people shouldn't get roles in Asian films.

Death Note has an an Asian adaptation.

There's so much of a double standard from everyone when it comes to these things really.

I'd love for more Asian actors to get roles. But who at the right moment could sell a movie.

It just doesn't make sense for me to want every single character to be Asian in an American film.

The reality is western audiences not only cant tell the difference between a Korean and Japanese actor the way American society is set up there is NO difference. That is why people are open to a Japanese role being played by Chinese or even Korean/Thai/Viet actors

The idea of selling a movie is moot when these films(GITS,Dragonball,Speed Racer) don't make anything in movies. GITS made 19 million against baby boss and the 3rd week of beauty and the beast. That is laughable. An Asian actress could have made a flop like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeza Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:41 pm

Western audiences can tell Asian people apart the same as the other way around though.

I'd love to see an Asian man/woman get more roles. Doubt it's going to happen.

Heard the Danish Asian guy was good in Iron Fist.
It's hard to give people those roles to begin with without building them up.

Saw this Ross Butler kid in 13 Reasons Why. Even though it's ridiculous he was cast as a teen I thought he did a great job. Hope he gets roles.

I'm of to opinions on this matter basically.
1. I don't mind adaptations being fit into society of the country they're set in.

2. Representation should also feature more Asian, Hispanic and European (non stereotype Italians etc) roles.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm

rincon wrote:The guy in that video is doing himself no favors with that intro Laughing but after that cringe first minute, its actually a sensible video.

Don't buy his argument at all though. Also don't see how a movie like FMA gets a pass for doing the same thing.

Someone is investing a ton of money to make a movie for profit and he has to cast a certain ethnicity... why?

He brings up dragon ball when its a bunch of aliens and talking animals and monsters and monkey men, etc. Who gives a shit? Or airbender, isn't that american?

In FMA the very aptly named Edward Elrich, Alphonse and Van Hohenheim are very clearly meant to be european-like. Its even important to the story. Yet if someone wanted to make an adaption (like they did) and make them japanese then sure, go ahead.

Everyone has their own vision, specially when they say that they are not even remaking something, but re-imagining.

I thought the intro was very artsy and fun, thats what he is going for.

The point in Dragonball that film is representing is before Goku is revealed to be an alien. He is thought to be the magical grandson of an old Guy in a village. Its assumed he is Chinese as the way his name is wrote, and the way his name is written in the series. There are clearly non Asian assumed characters in dragon ball, and their name denotes that. Why is chichi asian in the story but not goku? They look the same. He Also looks the same as Yamucha who is also portrayed as Asian. It was a cheap cop out by hollywood execs. That plan failed because DBE flopped harder than GITS.

FMA is one out of necessity. How many European actors are in the Japanese film industry right now who could carry a film in the japanese language? Of course a director can have their own image, but why is it the image always excludes Asian actors from starring roles? That is textbook racism.

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:51 pm

I don't know how many European actors can carry a film Japan. No idea. So I guess the producers are doing the sensible thing and playing it safe. Same exact thing as in the US.

I don't care either way, I've watched japanese movies with all japanese actors and I've enjoyed them. Same for Korean, German and French and I don't speak any of these languages or look like them. I almost always prefer that the people that are closer to the source material do the adaptions of the stories too.

In the end all sides do the same thing.

Also, when you say audiences don't differentiate between these different Asian nationalities. Its the exact same case for any country on earth. All of them. No chance that the Korean audience is telling apart the Guatemalan from the Honduran, or the Canadian from the American, etc.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Freeza wrote:Western audiences can tell Asian people apart the same as the other way around though.

I'd love to see an Asian man/woman get more roles. Doubt it's going to happen.

Heard the Danish Asian guy was good in Iron Fist.
It's hard to give people those roles to begin with without building them up.

Saw this Ross Butler kid in 13 Reasons Why. Even though it's ridiculous he was cast as a teen I thought he did a great job. Hope he gets roles.

I'm of to opinions on this matter basically.
1. I don't mind adaptations being fit into society of the country they're set in.

2. Representation should also feature more Asian, Hispanic and European (non stereotype Italians etc) roles.

Its not going to happen as long as people accept that this is normal. If this movie was made in Somalia, and they cast a Somali actress as Matoko Kusanagi I would have 0 issues. The fact that this is in USA, and there are plenty of Asian actors trying to get in the game is where the issue arises. They could have easily found an Asian actress who could have netted them third place behind baby boss and beauty and the beast. Whitewashing was unnecessary here.

Western Audiences cant tell any difference. Mike Chen was murdered in cold blood because people thought he was japanese. He took a beating that was reserved for people like me, but the fact that it doesnt matter in the west is what ended his life. Same way if somebody is talking about how much they hate chinese people they won't stop when they see me and be like "Oh betty you are ok since you are japanese" they will bash my head in all the same. The truth of the matter is the USA is in a great position where their films can realistically, and honestly be diverse. You see a japanese film with nothing but european actors and its not true because it doesnt represent japan, or the japanese film industry, at all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:59 pm

rincon wrote:I don't know how many European actors can carry a film Japan. No idea. So I guess the producers are doing the sensible thing and playing it safe. Same exact thing as in the US.

I don't care either way, I've watched japanese movies with all japanese actors and I've enjoyed them. Same for Korean, German and French and I don't speak any of these languages or look like them. I almost always prefer that the people that are closer to the source material do the adaptions of the stories too.

In the end all sides do the same thing.

Also, when you say audiences don't differentiate between these different Asian nationalities. Its the exact same case for any country on earth. All of them. No chance that the Korean audience is telling apart the Guatemalan from the Honduran, or the Canadian from the American, etc.

I agree on the point of no difference being made, which is why I would be cool with a Chinese/korean/Thai/viet-american actress playing the role as Matoko Kusanagi. It gets weird when its always whitewashed though. They cant even give us that though. They make them just white, and then act like its normal.

I would be willing to bet most people don't care about the nationality of the stars in their films. GITS would have done the same, or maybe even better if Matoko actually looked like a Kusanagi.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21 ... 40  Next