Was selling Pogba worth it?

+4
S
salmano9
Luca
rincon
8 posters

Go down

Was selling Pogba worth it? Empty Was selling Pogba worth it?

Post by rincon Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:00 pm

In the spirit of all the talk happening in the transfer thread, what say the Juve section?

Roughly we got Higuain and Pjanic for Pogba.

I was a big Pogba fan mostly because of his outrages style and fun plays with Dybala. Extremely talented kid.

Instead of him we got the first top CF we've had since Trezeguet and, imo, Higuain is even better. The Fat One became our highest scorer and won us a fair share of points on his own in just this half a season.

To plug the midfield hole we got Pjanic, who imo is not as good as Pogba but is still a great player. Pjanic without fitting particularly well in an ill-defined midfield has become our second highest scorer and our highest assist provider. Ridiculous threat from set pieces.

Was it worth it to sell Pogba and get who we got?
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Was selling Pogba worth it? Empty Re: Was selling Pogba worth it?

Post by Luca Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:10 pm

Yes, I believe so.

Bought for 800k, sold for a world record fee, for lets face it, not a world record player. Paul is world class and a tremendous talent, but the world record fee is meant for the best in the world. Paul might certainly be considered one of the best players soon, but while he is wallowing away at Manchester United, it's not even relevant.

In fact, I would wager that even with Pogba in our 11, we would have the same deficiencies that we had in the first half this season, because we had them last season at the beginning, with Pogba. Higuain has masked our deficiencies because of how much quality we have going forward. He has been a top player for us and is one of the top #9s in the world.

Pjanic, like our midfield, is yet to see his best days. To be fair, he's had a couple injuries slowing him down and has played with many different combinations of players, none of which seem to be of a great combination. Coming into the season I though Marchisio, Pjanic and Khedira would be a strong combination but now, midway through, I lack the belief.

Anyways, while I'm still forming an opinion on Pjanic at Juventus, Higuain has been of instant impact and importance.

As for Paul, they formed an audacious offer and he made it his duty to leave. We obliged and did the very best we could have with the funds, and that is strengthen the area of the field we have missed most in recent years.

Luca
J Council Master

Back to top Go down

Post by salmano9 Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:29 pm

It is difficult to judge IMO. What Juve are lacking now are a Pogba/Vidal type of player who is physically strong and works a hard for the ball. We bought Pjanic who is a major degradation in that department, BUT a major upgrade in the creativity department. We removed 2 pieces from the puzzle in pogba (who has the physicality and creativity) but we only bought one piece in the form of creativity in Pjanic. Now that we got Rincon, things might change. I have very high hopes on Rincon. He really really reminds me of Vidal. Vidal might have better passing and shooting, but that is not a major issue because we have Dybala, Higuain (Pjanic, Marchisio) to take care of that.

Juve have been fans of Verrati for a long time. Getting him this summer might not be a great move, because he is similar to Pjanic. We might need to get an upgrade to Rincon if he is not up to the level we need.

It is too early to answer that question IMO.
salmano9
salmano9
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Malaga CF

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:03 pm

In terms of a business perspective, this was a great deal. You can't go wrong with getting a freebie and selling him for a world record sum.

Was the timing of the sale correct? It  wasn't. Even though Pogba asked to leave , I think our management were not ruthless enough to deny a transfer request. Yes it was about money but Pogba's performances wouldn't have dropped magically if he stuck around for another year. In the end, it turned out to be a normal business decision without too much fuss.

Have we improved since Pogba's sale ? Hard for me to say for the moment.  It all depends on results but in terms of the quality of football we've produced so far compared to previous teams, there's still a lot left to be desired.
We've added a fair amount of flair , creativity and of course a top striker upfront but this has come at the expense of compromising our athleticism and quality in midfield. I guess you could lump in Vidal's sale in here too.
We went from 3 WC midfielders to only one reliable world class midfielder in Marchisio. Pjanić has been very much a mixed bag and the rest have been average to horrible. If we addressed our midfield issues a bit better in the summer, I think I would've been in a better position to say if we have improved or not post Pogba but it's very hard to come to a judgement for the moment.
This speaking from a sporting perspective and not a financial one.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by DeviAngel Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:33 pm

It was grea piece of business it would be a lot better if we had replaced him right. The problem for me is how easy we sell players who just want to leave. I would say it was worth selling him IMO but we didn't replace him as we should.
DeviAngel
DeviAngel
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Katy Perry Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:10 am

Hate to be the party pooper, but Pogba didn't really fund Higuain and Pjanic as Juve didn't receive 120M from the sale.

https://imgur.com/j57m5BR
This the official Juventus statement regarding Pogba's sale and it says they sold him for 105M with 5M bonuses if certain circumstances are met, but Juve received only 72M because of other operating expenses. Yes, Laughing Raiola got 30M from Juve for this sale.

First thing I would have done, ask Pogba to fire Raiola. Get that fat greedy prick the *bleep* out of everyone's sight. No way in hell an agent gets roughly  30% of a +100M fee. Raiola, Jorge Mendes, Kia Joorachian and such are the scum of football.
If that doesn't happen, the deal falls apart. Simple as that.

I really thought this was gonna be the year when they make crucial and important investments without having to sell a key player. Juve could have added a WC striker and another midfield player in Pjanic without having to part ways with the third key midfielder in two years IMO.

Pogba would have really benefited from playing with Pjanic and Pogba. We've seen him with Pirlo, Vidal, Marchisio; having truly good players around him don't hinder him but makes him shine. We've seen Pogba improving every season, evolving and adapting to multiple situations, multiple tactical set-ups and multiple different players every season, even this season at United.
He would have assumed a playstyle geared towards assisting and providing good balls for Higuain and they both would have shined, as Pogba and Ibra are doing at United in a less refined system than Juve's right now.

Juve would have been on the same level as Bayern, Barca, Madrid had that happened. Now I feel they're still one notch below them.

So in conclusion, not worth it imo. I would have sold someone on a high wage like one of Mandzukic and Khedira, I wouldn't have gotten both Cuadrado and Alves, I wouldn't have signed Pjaca. Just don't sell Pogba.
Katy Perry
Katy Perry
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by lucianomoggi Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:39 pm

he wanted to go
and if that is what he wants even one euro is a good price but 100m?

lucianomoggi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juve_gigi Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:25 pm

Of course it was worth it. All that money when we got him for free. He wanted to go. So let him go. It's Marotta's job to find a replacement. We are Juventus. We've sold better players than Pogba. We've sold ballon d'or winners in their prime. Baggio and Zidane come to mind.

If Dybala wants to go let him go as well. There are quality players all over the world and the biggest clubs have sold some of their top players. Until Serie A gets their sh** together and can compete with the other four leagues in terms of wages then we will be a selling club for our biggest stars.

Maybe in 5 years when the Milan clubs have built their own stadiums and the Chinese money is flowing in and they are both in CL like us and dominating then Serie A will get its revenue back. Italy can't expect to compete with La Liga or EPL when the Milan clubs aren't even in the CL competition. I want the Milan clubs to do wel because it helps Italy and therefore helps Juventus.
juve_gigi
juve_gigi
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down