what is the worst substitution in all time?

+12
M99
Katy Perry
S
Firenze
Myesyats
McAgger
Hapless_Hans
urbaNRoots
rincon
El Gunner
Glory
guest_07
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

what is the worst substitution in all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: what is the worst substitution in all time?

Post by titosantill Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:37 pm

i think the tag of 'worst substitution' has to be because the substitute coming in messed up; not based on the hypothetical scenario that "if player x stayed in, the team would not have lost", i say that because we don't know....and besides, player x may have been tired as well and cost his team the game regardless

matthaus substitution in 99, utd may have won that title with him still being on the field, we never know...that was utd's year and the stars just lined up for them perfectly, things just seemed to go right for them in the epl, fa cup ;bergkamp missing that penalty, keane's red and the champs league

titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

what is the worst substitution in all time? - Page 2 Empty Re: what is the worst substitution in all time?

Post by titosantill Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:44 pm

my stance may be wrong if a defender was taken out and the team's defense automatically went to sh@#s
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:21 am

You know, just on a trend of bad substitutions, was reminded of this by my Liverpool based Aunt of this gem. Rafa led Liverpool (perfect that he is involved again) drawing 1-1 with Birmingham needing a victory for either UCL qualification or whatever Liverpool were up to those days.

Who does he bring up for that match winning goal? Why David N'Gog of course. Who does he take off? Shit, no brainer, 80+ goals in 140 odd appearances Fernando Torres (the one that actually used to score).

Of course, N'Gog does nothing of any note but spur chance after chance and you get this immortalised look:

Mute the volume, the song is cancer.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:36 am

I remember that substitution. It was in 2010. I don't blame Rafa at all there. The league was pretty much gone already. Only 4th place was up for grabs with 4-5 games left and we were competing with Spurs, City, and Villa for that 4th spot. I think both City and Spurs had a 5 point lead on us or so.

Torres was pretty shit for majority of that game and he had a niggle so it wasn't worth risking him any more than 65 minutes.

Torres was injury prone as shit if you don't remember. And we had a quarterfinal second leg game at Anfield coming up in 4 days in EL. We had lost the first leg to Benfica 2-1 and we needed Torres to be fit for that.

Little do you know it actually paid off, we won 4-1 against Benfica and Torres scored twice.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2