Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception?

+21
Sushi Master
Lex
McLewis
Warrior
breva
Bankz
ioilersrock448
The Vanquisher
rincon
Firenze
Tomwin Lannister
RealGunner
M99
Doc
McAgger
Art Morte
Hapless_Hans
Adit
Lucifer
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Kaladin
25 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Yes/No

Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Vote_lcap27%Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 3 ]
Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Vote_lcap73%Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Vote_rcap 73% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 11

Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Empty Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception?

Post by Kaladin Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:56 pm

The CL is filled with so much fodder in recent years, if i hadn't known any better i would've thought i was watching EL with clubs like Zagreb, Sporting, Ludogorets, Kobenhaven, Leicester, Besiktas, CSKA, Rostov etc. I for one, welcome the new +4 format for all leagues, people want to watch teams they know, teams that can upset, not squash matches.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Empty Re: Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:57 pm

It's been crap for years lol, only ever gets interesting semis onwards.

Sometimes there's the odd Quarter final match up etc but that's about it.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Empty Re: Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception?

Post by Lucifer Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:00 pm

would rather watch the small clubs instead of good for nothing washed up Milfs living on past glory.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:07 pm

Instead who? 4th place has been scrub from some has been league?
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:20 pm

So much jealousy and hate from the hopeless has beens of AC Milan
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:24 pm

Who said anything about Milan?
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:29 pm

This was always going to happen once the super rich clubs started to pull away so clearly from the rest. I've had this feeling for years about the CL that you're just waiting for the last-8 or last-4 matches between Barca, Real, Juve, Bayern, PSG and a couple of the best English clubs, whoever they are at the time. Maybe throw in a couple of clubs who are doing well at the time, like Dortmund or Atletico.

Anyway, yeah, the group stage is uninteresting. Not that I think any rule changes are going to improve it, either.

Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:37 pm

People have just selective memory. Groups with 4 teams, of course there will be weaker or more uninteresting match days. But for every Real-Warsaw pairing there was a Real-BVB game last MD.
Tottenham-Leverkusen was an interesting game.

But most of all it's not like CL groups used to have 4 elite teams duking it out from day one.

Will never get why people always have to complain.

Especially fans from teams who can't even make CL should stfu. For example those of AC Milan or Liverpool FC.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:50 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:People have just selective memory. Groups with 4 teams, of course there will be weaker or more uninteresting match days. But for every Real-Warsaw pairing there was a Real-BVB game last MD.
Tottenham-Leverkusen was an interesting game.

But most of all it's not like CL groups used to have 4 elite teams duking it out from day one.

Will never get why people always have to complain.

Especially fans from teams who can't even make CL should stfu. For example those of AC Milan or Liverpool FC.

It's a fact that there used to be more variation in the clubs that reached the knock-out stages. I don't need lots of great games in the group stage, but it gets boring when it's always the same clubs facing each other in the last-8 or so.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:55 pm

Liverpool will be in CL next season, no worries.

And we will actually be strong in CL for the first time since 08/09.

That embarassing David Brent season just :facepalm:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:18 pm

Interesting. I remember RedO actually made one of the most precise predictions I've seen on GL when he said Liverpool would have been fighting for Ludo(?) and Basel tooth and nail (he said something along those lines) for 2nd place.

The two who were very much in disagreements, one of which proclaimed a win vs Madrid at Anfield: Sepi and McAgger. You can guess who was proclaiming the win.

Being sidetracked aside, nothing out of the ordinary for this edition of the UCL than any other editions. I guess that can make it a bit predictable but I wouldn't say worst of the bunch. And if I must say, only a few of us would remember the UCL from its inception till now.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Doc wrote:Interesting. I remember RedO actually made one of the most precise predictions I've seen on GL when he said Liverpool would have been fighting for Ludo(?) and Basel tooth and nail (he said something along those lines) for 2nd place.

The two who were very much in disagreements, one of which proclaimed a win vs Madrid at Anfield: Sepi and McAgger. You can guess who was proclaiming the win.

Loooooooooooool I remember that. RO saying they need to be worried about if they can get 2nd while everyone else was confident they will top the group rofl
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:31 pm

The most realistic and sensible Liverpool fan by far. No wonder he gave up on the Liverpool section.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:34 pm

lol RO was afraid of his own shadow. Always so cautious. Afraid to make a leap and see the positive side of things. What's the point of being a football fan if you don't dare to dream from time to time.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:56 pm

There is a difference between dreaming and being delusional
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:03 pm

Honestly i'm not against the format changes.

I get the 'if you can't qualify you shouldn't be there' argument but at the end of the day the teams benefiting from this would walk the shitty eastern european leagues and the likes with 120 points + the difference is that an upper mid-table club from a top league has actual competition for CL places. The likes of Zagreb are a piss poor pro team playing against farmers.

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:05 pm

Don't call me James wrote:Liverpool will be in CL next season, no worries.

And we will actually be strong in CL for the first time since 08/09.

That embarassing David Brent season just :facepalm:

Origi will be topscorer in the CL next season

#daretodream

#notdeluded
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:07 pm

honestly, EPL, Serie A, Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1 (maybe) should all have 5 spots guaranteed IMO

leagues like Portuguese, Dutch - 1
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:09 pm

The problem is the Champions route and League route seeding systems for the playoffs. You get rid of those and the problem is solved. Put all of those in the same pot and seed by club coefficient instead of splitting it up to favor smaller leagues.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Vanquisher Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:11 pm

Isn't the champions route for smaller teams going to be reduced from 10 to 5? Because according to my Swedish friend Copenhagen is pretty pissed about that.
The Vanquisher
The Vanquisher
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by ioilersrock448 Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:18 pm

I hate the re-shuffle but I understand its about money.

Of course what I'd prefer is to make it a pure champions knockout cup, 2 legs per tie open draw.

Or as it is in terms of seeding but open draw straight from the group stage.

But once again this would cause big teams to lose money and as a result, never be accepted.
ioilersrock448
ioilersrock448
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : FC Bayern

Back to top Go down

Post by Bankz Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Dem jelly no-life has beens Very Happy
Bankz
Bankz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:26 pm

The Vanquisher wrote:Isn't the champions route for smaller teams going to be reduced from 10 to 5? Because according to my Swedish friend Copenhagen is pretty pissed about that.

For the play-offs to qualify to the group stage, the teams from the Champions route (champions of their respective leagues) and the League route (not-champions of bigger leagues) are split. The play-offs are drawn so a teams don't mix, in that way, the champions of smaller leagues don't have to play higher seeded teams from the bigger leagues.

This was it this season:

Is this the worst rendition of CL since its inception? Play_o10

If it wasn't split, then most of the unseeded in the league route would have been seeded (maybe except Rostov). City-Steaua, Porto-Roma, Villareal-Monaco, etc. would have been avoided.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by breva Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:11 pm

If a group like this can be drawn under the current regulations, then I am all for the change in format. I don't remember a weaker group, ever.

Leicester City
FC Copenhagen
FC Porto
Club Brugge
breva
breva
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:18 pm

breva wrote:If a group like this can be drawn under the current regulations, then I am all for the change in format. I don't remember a weaker group, ever.

Leicester City
FC Copenhagen
FC Porto
Club Brugge

It's because of Leicester. Normally if City or Chelsea win the league then no one bats an eye at this group because one of them will be here.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next