RealGunner
El Gunner
Nishankly
CBarca
BarrileteCosmico
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

FIFA council 'rather positive' toward 48-team World Cup - Gianni Infantino - Page 2 Empty Re: FIFA council 'rather positive' toward 48-team World Cup - Gianni Infantino

Post by terrance511 Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:13 pm

i liked 1 of the post in this thread.

best decision ever.

terrance511
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

FIFA council 'rather positive' toward 48-team World Cup - Gianni Infantino - Page 2 Empty Re: FIFA council 'rather positive' toward 48-team World Cup - Gianni Infantino

Post by Hapless_Hans Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:15 pm

terrance511 wrote:i liked 1 of the post in this thread.

best decision ever.

I did too. Wonder whether it was the same one hmm
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Warrior Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Heard on the radio that is a big possibility for 2022

Fast like that i'd say it's a bad idea, but i am open to being proved wrong.
Warrior
Warrior
FORZA JUVE

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:19 am

It's more beneficial for countries like my own where qualifying for the WC is more of a divine intervention sort of scenario that a formality like France, Spain, England and their ilk.

Big footballing Nations would obviously dislike the idea but I hope it happens.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:39 am

Doc wrote:It's more beneficial for countries like my own where qualifying for the WC is more of a divine intervention sort of scenario that a formality like France, Spain, England and their ilk.

Big footballing Nations would obviously dislike the idea but I hope it happens.
About half the participating countries will cause national humiliation.

I mean what's value of being 'qualified' for the WC if it makes you pray for no loosing by more than four goals or as such???
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:43 pm

We didn't lose by 4 goals in 2006 so I reckon I won't be seeing that nowadays.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:59 pm

I hope it doesn't because I feel like it dilutes the sport.

We've already seen with the Euros how that change in format diluted the tournament.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Its good for the world cup. Usually it's huge for smaller footballing countries to see their team there on the big stage.

This isn't for the elite. It's for everyone else. It probably means, at most, that a team plays 1 extra game. So you get to enjoy (or not) an extra match while other people get to see their countries qualify.

Imagine India vs Canada. S, Nishankly vs Luca and Warrior :bow:

Last edited by rincon on Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:09 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
We've already seen with the Euros how that change in format diluted the tournament.

Thinking about this, did we? As a fan of Italy I saw my team play Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Spain and Germany. That's hell of a path. For sure I wasn't bothered by Icelandic and Welsh fans having the time of their lives in the euros too.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Yeah but it would probably means the format changes and therefore it makes the tournament worse.

Changing the Euros made it significantly worse and I see no reason why it wouldn't do the same to the WC tbh.

I really do doubt it's just going to be a case of one extra game and it's gonna be alright like you do tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:15 pm

rincon wrote:

Thinking about this, did we? As a fan of Italy I saw my team play Ireland, Sweden, Belgium, Spain and Germany. That's hell of a path. For sure I wasn't bothered by Icelandic and Welsh fans having the time of their lives in the euros too.

Portugal got through their group without winning a game.

Portugal didn't beat a team before the finals outside of extra time outside of Wales.

They are European champions because of the rule changes, every other year they don't even get through their group.

It absolutely diluted the tournament.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:17 pm

They want dat Chinese and Indian market

Hope by some divine intervention we make the world cup

Won't happen atleast for another 3 editions maybe : (
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:21 pm

rincon wrote:

Portugal got through their group without winning a game.

Portugal didn't beat a team before the finals outside of extra time outside of Wales.

They are European champions because of the rule changes, every other year they don't even get through their group.

It absolutely diluted the tournament.

No they are not. They are european champions because every team failed to beat them. The rest are technicalities.

In the 94 WC every team drew every game in Italy's group. Italy got out of the group without winning a game and proceeded to knock out 4 teams and take the final to penalties.

In the 2011 CA Paraguay didn't win a single game and got to the final. Not even 2 games won like Portugal. Just 5 draws with penalties to the final.

These things happen, everyone else failed to beat them.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Yeah but it would probably means the format changes and therefore it makes the tournament worse.

Changing the Euros made it significantly worse and I see no reason why it wouldn't do the same to the WC tbh.

I really do doubt it's just going to be a case of one extra game and it's gonna be alright like you do tbh.

Its not so much speculation. The current version of the 48 team world cup that FIFA approved doesn't even give an extra match for an eventual finalist. Teams still play 7 games to win. The shuffle is that the group stage is just with 3 teams so you get one more knockout match than before. That sounds fairly fine to me.

England is mostly in every world cup. Its a privileged position. Would you (or most other english fans) follow the world cup as closely if your team didn't make it? Its a big deal for most places. Its worth considering.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm

I mean, it was hilarious they didn't win a single game (or lose one if you wanna go the other route) to get out of the group but they did meet the best team in the tournament in France in the final and still managed to beat them. So it isn't so much the tournament was diluted because of the format change, it was more diluted due to certain teams being shit. You know, the "quality" sides.

Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:30 pm

How is it technicalities lmao? They finished 3rd in their group.

Every other year in the history of the tournament they don't even get out of their group lmao.

They benefited due to the format change, that's an absolute fact.

It was probably the worst Euros I have ever seen in my life, the change in format was absolutely a direct result of that.

I want no part of a WC like that, qualifying is important it shouldn't be open to everyone you earn that right not just given it.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:31 pm

Doc wrote:We didn't lose by 4 goals in 2006 so I reckon I won't be seeing that nowadays.
Cause it wasn't a 48-team event and you had to attain a level (for qualification) that made you 'competitive'.

I mean seriously think about the additional 16 teams that would participate...
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:35 pm

Every other year things play out differently. Everyone played under the same rules from the beginning. Its not like Portugal had any advantages or like the rules got changed in the middle of the tournament.

Saying they are champions because of rule changes discards everything that actually happened in the tournament. All the football played.

Portugal would have played Spain if they hadn't been shit and lost the group to Croatia. Portugal would have played Belgium if they hadn't been shit and lost to Wales.

Its not Portugal's (or UEFA's) fault that other teams which are usually good were worse than they were.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Harmonica Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:38 pm

I would be on this if it was footballing decision, but because it's money decision, it would be hell on earth.
Harmonica
Harmonica
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Let's think about those 16 teams for a 2nd, where you think they'll come from, the majority? I'll give you a hint, it won't be in CONCACAF, we'll more than likely get 1 more slot. Conmebol would get probably get at most 2, Africa would get at most 2, Asia would get 1 and maybe, just maybe Oceania would get a sure spot to which I doubt.

The rest would be divided up in Europe so it's not the rest of the world would "dilute" the tournament (it won't but that's the elitist thinking for you) but the rest of Europe.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Nothing to do with being good or bad.

They didn't even finish 2nd in their group, that's where it starts and ends for me.

It's an absolute joke you can finish 3rd in a *bleep* group and still qualify.

Like I said I want no part of a WC like that.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:44 pm

No for 48 team World cup, Stop ruining the sanctity of everything.

Why don't they *bleep* ask us before taking decisions, Infantino is the bald fraud not Guardiola.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:46 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Nothing to do with being good or bad.

They didn't even finish 2nd in their group, that's where it starts and ends for me.

It's an absolute joke you can finish 3rd in a *bleep* group and still qualify.

Like I said I want no part of a WC like that.

Luckily none of this applies to their WC proposal. You need to be top 2 in the group stage to advance hmm

On the other hand. In the 80's and 90's we had WC like this last Euro. Where the 3rd placed teams could qualify.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:48 pm

Nishankly wrote:No for 48 team World cup, Stop ruining the sanctity of everything.

Why don't they *bleep* ask us before taking decisions, Infantino is the bald fraud not Guardiola.

The fact an Indian is saying this who would probably like nothing more than see his country perform at a WC says all you need to know.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:49 pm

I could imagine the same argument was made when they expanded the tournament to 24 teams. And then to 32. You guys act like this is the first time they expanded it or something.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:51 pm

Doc wrote:Let's think about those 16 teams for a 2nd, where you think they'll come from, the majority? I'll give you a hint, it won't be in CONCACAF, we'll more than likely get 1 more slot. Conmebol would get probably get at most 2, Africa would get at most 2, Asia would get 1 and maybe, just maybe Oceania would get a sure spot to which I doubt.

The rest would be divided up in Europe so it's not the rest of the world would "dilute" the tournament (it won't but that's the elitist thinking for you) but the rest of Europe.

Its like this:

3 spots extra to uefa
0.5 to OFC
1.5 to conmebol
2.5 to concacaf
4 to caf
3.5 to afc

So we'd get
Chile from conmebol
US, T&T from concacaf
3 from Italy, Ireland, Greece, NIreland from uefa

dont know how the rest look
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum