Tomwin Lannister
M99
24 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Games Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: General Games Discussion

Post by RealGunner Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:35 pm

Soon.

One thing consistent with all 3 bioshock is the vending machine guy lmao. That banter though "Guarantee??? who has time for all that paperwork?" rofl

RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Spencer Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:23 pm

Game: Disney's Aladdin.
Year: 1993.
Genre: Action Platformer.
Publisher: Sega.
Developer: Virgin Games.

General Games Discussion - Page 21 Aladdin-usa

First things first, I am changing my rating system to better rate different genres according to their own rules. It will still be from 50 quality points, but every title will start from 25 and earn/lose points according to criteria important to the titles and genres themselves.

Of the many Disney licensed games in the 16 bit era, none are more famous or well regarded as the pair of Aladdin games on the Genesis and SNES. The fact that both games were considered good meant a comparison between the two always took place in the middle of the larger console wars debate.

Aladdin on the SNES was a good game, but Aladdin on the Genesis has some more obvious qualities that helped it get considered as the better game in the general consensus. Even if not by such a large margin.

"In Agrabah, a faraway land of wind and sand, a young street-rat named Aladdin must steal to survive"

Obviously, a licensed Aladdin game in 1993 would basically try and cover the plot of the film's story to the best of its ability. Aladdin on the Genesis does mostly that, and by borrowing some of the talent in Disney, it manages to convey the style of the film as well.

For the game to actually benefit from its license, its not enough for it to follow the basic plot, which it does in a very rudimentary 16bit game style. It should also convey its style. Which is what this game does.

The guards, who serve as basic enemy fodder, walk around and behave like they do in the movie. If you see a guard accidentally walking on burning coals, they prance about just like they did in the first song. Elsewhere, the game's levels, music, animation, and general style fits in really well. Even the gameover screen manages to convey the wonderful comedy of the Genie for a bit.

Unfortunately, that game over screen and one ugly level are all of the Genie's contribution to the game. Even Abu has more screen time, ignoring the fact that Aladdin would be a poor movie if not for the brilliance of big blue.

Good Use of the License: +4

"Infidels...Now you will never see the light of day again"

No matter how well you you use the license, it doesn't matter if the gameplay is not good. Thankfully, this gameplay in Aladdin is good. More focused on action than platforming, Aladdin goes through many stages where he has to defend himself with his trusty sword. He can also throw apples.

The sword is good, and its ability to deflect attack and projectiles make it much more useful than you would initially think due to its short range. Using it is also cooler than throwing apples.

Movement is fluid, especially with such a good animation, and you are almost always involved in doing something in these varied levels. However, I feel that just as with many games in the 16bit era, this could have benefited from a level or two more. It is just too short.

One disappointing aspect of the game is the boss battles. They are rudimentary at best, but that is being very generous. Take the final boss for example, you can only defeat him using apples. Since apples are a consumable item, your supply could run out before you defeat Jafar (spoiler alert, Jafar is the final boss). When you then die, you go to a checkpoint near the boss, with only 10 apples, which are not enough to kill him. Meaning you must go backtrack through the level picking up apples like some damn part time fruit picker. Worst of all, the fight is mind numbingly boring.

Other than that, the gameplay is fun enough, with some variety sprinkled in. Abu's bonus stages are a singular highlight, especially with their soundtrack, but other attempts at variety are also good if not particularly effective.

Fun Gameplay: +5
Bad Boss Battles: -2
Short: -1

"Free from the magic lamp, the Genie helps Aladdin escape the cave of wonders"

I would argue that what made Aladdin such a memorable game from the 16bit era. Probably, the most memorable of licensed games, is its impeccable art direction.

It is simply one of the best looking (if not THE best) games on the SNES. The clear, large, and detailed sprites are nice. However, its how they move that makes them especially unique. No surprise then to learn that actual Disney animators worked with the development team on this.

While not the same level of care was given to the backgrounds of the game's stages, the fact that every sprite was carefully designed and animated to be faithful to the film makes this a beautiful looking game.

This is what allows it to easily imitate the playful spirit of the film into the game.

What seals the deal though is the game's musical score. I don't know how they did it, but Aladdin manages to transform all of the songs in the film into a 16bit score wonderfully. Listning to "Prince Ali" while jumping around in the streets of Agrabah is of course a delight.

I didn't particularly like the level inside the lamp, but "A Friend Like Me" pushed me right through it with a nostalgic smile in my face.Even tracks unrelated to the movie, such as the one playing in Abu's bonus stage, are good track (Even if they don't fit with the rest of the soundtrack).

Definitely, the game's graphics and musical score are its greatest assets.

Great Graphics: +4
Great Sound Track: +4

In Conclusion:

I still have not decided which game I prefer from the two 16bit Aladdin games. I know that I like both, and I know that outside of their use of the license, and the very good production value, both are not actually very special games.

However, they are good games, and are very good examples of a license being used well. The Genesis Aladdin lacks the polish of the SNES version, but it makes up for that by Disney's own help in its production.

Final: 39/50

"Tips"
1- Apples are the best way for dealing with bosses.
2- You can use your sword to deflect most projectiles.
3- Make sure you have an adequate supply of apples for the final boss, you cannot defeat him without it.

"Next Game"

Between the 2 16 bit Aladdin games, I can't really decide which I actually prefer. Both a re good games that use the license well, and both are good games that sadly rely on that license doing most of the leg work. Of course, the Sega version won commercially, with Aladdin on the Genesis being the 3rd best seller in that system.

Next game is one that is compared to A Link to the Past, at #24, Crusader of Centy is obviously not considered as good, but it looks very interesting indeed. Its made by Atlus, which makes it one of the earliest games that have been localized by that company

Stay Tuned
Lord Spencer
Lord Spencer
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:23 pm

2K Games, which reports earnings Wednesday, confirmed that “Mafia III” is now the fastest-selling title in the publisher's history — overtaking other franchise juggernauts such as “NBA 2K,” “Borderlands” and “BioShock.” The game sold 4.5 million copies in its first week, the company said.

shocking, 2016 version of watch dogs IMO

inb4 Moal

I almost don't believe that figure tbh but the market has been starved for an open world crime game the last couple years
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:09 pm

Watchdogs rofl

I know for a fact that Watchdogs doesn't have anywhere near the gunplay, story, acting, writing or characters that Mafia 3 did. ( not to mention the ridiculously good soundtrack)

The real comparison is probably Assassins Creed Syndicate tbh, like i said before i have no idea why the media lambasted it the way they did.

It's real main criticism is it's repetitive mission scructure, which to be frank should be criticism of most open world games but nobody shat on those games like they did this one.

Especially when it did so many things well, in some cases best in it's genre but people chose to ignore all that because of repetitive mission structure when they don't for any other open world game.

It's a flawed game but tbh it's nowhere near as bad as most people acted like, unsurprising though considering people shat on Mafia 2 when it didn't deserve it either.

It's like the media had enough of this type of open world game and used this game as a stick to beat with, because i can think of many, many games which had a lot higher scores and were just as bad at designing missions.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:12 pm

Phil Spencer you tease

General Games Discussion - Page 21 FINGSyn

A look at the top requested games to be made BC

General Games Discussion - Page 21 Rk9aNpt

Mass Effect 2 and 3 some of the top requested games, N7 day next Monday when the info blowout of Andromeda begins, surely they're the top fan requests Phil is referring too? It's literally the perfect time to release them.

Don't let me down Phil, I need a reason to touch my Xbox again god damnit.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:23 pm

Playing 360 games in 2016 rofl
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:26 pm

Consoles in 2016 rofl
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:30 pm

ESPhritz pls.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan28 Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:26 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Playing 360 games in 2016 rofl

With a handful of exceptions (Ori, Witcher 3 etc), this generation of games has been utter garbage. Games take so damn long to come out and then they get hyped up to the sky because of it, before turning out to be trash.

The fact that people are more hyped about playing MW:R instead of the new COD should tell you that something is terribly wrong. Hell, the fact that the Skyrim Remastered sold like 4 times more than Titanfall 2 in the UK this week should tell you that people are more thirsty for old games than the new, because old games were actually good.

*Bleep* this gen, its been easily the worst ever.
Jonathan28
Jonathan28
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Not really.

That just says idiots are nostalgic, don't see how people wanting to replay games like cod 4 is an example of anything.

Also you wouldn't be saying these things if most things didn't get delayed into 2017 which really isn't something you can control.

As we should be playing Horizon, Zelda and Mass Effect by now lol.

Game development time takes longer sure, we all know this but it has nothing to do with time it just takes longer to make AAA games compared to the PS2/3 equivalent.

Not sure how you exactly do anything about that though.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Like how you use one sided examples though.

Cod has been shite since BO1, that isn't an example of anything.

You know damn well the reason Titanfall 2 is selling so badly is because it was released a week after BF1.

Just like Tomb Raider was put in between Battlefront, Cod and Fallout but does that make it a bad game? Like *bleep* does it.

Also comparing it to Skyrim rofl Skyrim is one of the most critically acclaimed games ever, of course it's going to be more popular than Titanfall 2 ffs.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:50 pm

It's going to take even longer to develop games, once the upgraded consoles have been released.
The Call of Duty franchise has turned to shit, that's no secret to anyone Razz
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Thimmy wrote:It's going to take even longer to develop games, once the upgraded consoles have been released.

According to developers it doesn't take that long actually, most of the PS Pro patches they are getting on current games are being worked on by one or two guys and doesn't take that long.

Good games take 4 or 5 years to make we know this and it's not going to change really.

I personally don't see how you can change it either, do I wish Dev times were shorter? Sure as hell I do but devs already complain they work too much so it doesn't seem feasible sadly.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:04 pm

It's not easy considering all the technological advantages we have nowadays. I mean, you have to have your main character with realistic faces for each emotion, realistic sword play, world class voice acting, true to live lens flare and water textures etc, or else you have one giant bitchfest. Nevermind all those top end graphics and textures; those take a while to render. Coupled with 120 hr replayability and 60 hr main quests, complete and simultaneous platform releases, DLCs, and expansions, it's completely understandable why games take so long to develop nowadays.

Back in the day you had a solid story, some half decent sprites and some solid mechanics, and you had a world beater. Obviously, this all could be done in a small studio and without the huge corporate pressure money-hungry publishers put on developers these days.

I'd rather wait 4 years for a solid game than have CoD recycled crap year after year, TBH.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:09 pm

Gonna pick up CoD 4recycled crap remastered tomorrow. Can't wait Molenation
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:17 pm

Thimmy wrote:Gonna pick up CoD 4recycled crap remastered tomorrow. Can't wait Molenation

I highly enjoyed CoD4, TBH. My only gripe was that the singleplayer campaign was too short.

It's all the Infinite Advanced Black World War Warfare crap I can't stand.

I mean, you had more advanced guns and technology taking down Castro in comparison to 2000s Soviet invasion Laughing
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:25 pm

Sushi Master wrote:It's not easy considering all the technological advantages we have nowadays. I mean, you have to have your main character with realistic faces for each emotion, realistic sword play, world class voice acting, true to live lens flare and water textures etc, or else you have one giant bitchfest. Nevermind all those top end graphics and textures; those take a while to render. Coupled with 120 hr replayability and 60 hr main quests, complete and simultaneous platform releases, DLCs, and expansions, it's completely understandable why games take so long to develop nowadays.

Back in the day you had a solid story, some half decent sprites and some solid mechanics, and you had a world beater. Obviously, this all could be done in a small studio and without the huge corporate pressure money-hungry publishers put on developers these days.

I'd rather wait 4 years for a solid game than have CoD recycled crap year after year, TBH.

Honestly i think the massive increase in giving a shit about writing, story, acting and character development is one of the biggest reasons.

I can't imagine how long all that takes, plus motion capturing all of it. Back in the day outside of a few examples most of the games i played had none of it.

I didn't care back then because story and the rest of it didn't matter to me then really, but now it does.

On the overall subject though, i thought last year was great i probably played more last year than i have in years.

This year has been meh outside of some shining examples, but it's mainly because a lot of things got pushed into 2017 and i do expect 2017 to be fantastic as long as the dates hold. ( they probably won't mind Laughing )

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushi Master Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Sushi Master wrote:It's not easy considering all the technological advantages we have nowadays. I mean, you have to have your main character with realistic faces for each emotion, realistic sword play, world class voice acting, true to live lens flare and water textures etc, or else you have one giant bitchfest. Nevermind all those top end graphics and textures; those take a while to render. Coupled with 120 hr replayability and 60 hr main quests, complete and simultaneous platform releases, DLCs, and expansions, it's completely understandable why games take so long to develop nowadays.

Honestly i think the massive increase in giving a shit about writing, story, acting and character development is one of the biggest reasons.

I can't imagine how long all that takes, plus motion capturing all of it. Back in the day outside of a few examples most of the games i played had none of it.

On the overall subject though, i thought last year was great i probably played more last year than i have in years.

This year has been meh outside of some shining examples, but it's mainly because a lot of things got pushed into 2017 and i do expect 2017 to be fantastic as long as the dates hold. ( they probably won't mind Laughing )

I didn't care back then because story and the rest of it didn't matter to me then really, but now it does.

Yeah, I agree. I would say game quality is even higher than it was before. There are standards and your target audience is vastly more varied than it was before. Video games are not just a children/adolescent thing anymore.

So it's an even higher risk investment, because development costs have skyrocketed. So studios have to balance out game quality vs costs. You can't afford to take 5 years developing a game, but then you can't just churn out any half baked crap for it to bomb. Probably why all the emphasis on sure to sell series (CoD), remakes of already acclaimed games and investing a lot in DLCs and expansions. It's just a sure way to make money and please your audience without having to invest the massive time in an original story, characters and setting as you mentioned.

Every year can't be a huge success, plus there's just the sheer number of good to half decent games out. I literally can't afford the time or money to play everything. I'd need a top of the line console and a cutting edge PC. Plus, just the time. Almost every game is multiplatform and with very good production values.

Back in the day I just had my N64 or Gamecube, played what was on it, and the rest I just used my PC. Forgot about the PS2 games. Now, all those good console games are also on PC. Frack. I literally can't play everything and I know there are some great games I'm missing on.

All the bitching is just human nature of always wanting bigger, better and shinier things, TBH. Gaming is in great shape.
Sushi Master
Sushi Master
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Sushi Master wrote:
Thimmy wrote:Gonna pick up CoD 4recycled crap remastered tomorrow. Can't wait Molenation

I highly enjoyed CoD4, TBH. My only gripe was that the singleplayer campaign was too short.

It's all the Infinite Advanced Black World War Warfare crap I can't stand.

I mean, you had more advanced guns and technology taking down Castro in comparison to 2000s Soviet invasion Laughing

Yeah, I haven't enjoyed the advanced, futuristic, spaceship themed CoDs, either.

Personally, I don't care how long they take to develop the games, as long as the concept and the quality of the games are satisfactory. I think the last few CoD games have had high production value and have introduced a few new things that are definitely an upgrade on past games in the genre/franchise, but I can't stand some of the most intrusive, new features that affect the core mechanics of gameplay, and I'm not a fan of the whole sci-fi theme in this particular franchise.

The Call of Duty franchise had something good going for it, after it became obvious that Medal of Honor couldn't compete, and Battlefield had a distinctively different, more mature approach to their FPS war games that appealed to a different audience. I don't know why Activision suddenly insisted on expanding the franchise into a territory that they couldn't execute properly, and the majority of the consumer base have not appreciated. I'm assuming they did it because a significant amount of people were crying that they were tired of the past and present war scenarios. It's a good example of how a lot of consumers don't actually know what they want.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:03 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:ESPhritz pls.

Trying not to be like him but recently a 100$ graphic card came out that blows PS4's performance out of the water. PS4 and XBOX One are already outdated in term of hardware, makes sense why they're rushing to release stronger consoles.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:08 pm

Yeah i don't mind that lol.

We all know PC performance is loads higher, it's the constant repeating of it just to brag that people don't like.

Nobody denies it's a better experience if you can be bothered, i don't do it because firstly i don't see it as a worthwhile investment, i'm comfortable and satisfied with what i have and PS4 exclusives.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:48 pm

I'm not a fan of the experience of PC gaming compared to console. Kicking back on a couch with a controller is better for me than a PC.

I know I can (and have) used a controller for PC but then whats the point? graphics of current consoles are already great and its just easier. Plus, the exclusives.

The only games on PC I really prefer are RTS, but those aren't really that present anymore. Other than that, it was old school RPGs (Neverwinter Nights, etc.). By now, game selection in consoles just wins it for me.

Last edited by rincon on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:59 pm

What's the point of using a controller for games like Rocket League, Witcher, PES, FIFA and NFS? You want a serious answer?

For the first time ever FIFA is a better experience on PC than on console. Gaming on PC is cheaper in every single category except VR, but Playstation VR is a joke like its pricepoint suggests.

RTS not really present... the most played game in the world is an RTS which just had a 5 million dollar World Championship that's the most watched sporting event in the US that isn't NFL...

As for graphics... Consle equivalent settings on PC are low medium... But if you need further convincing I'll just leave my Skyrim here

Pretty much s*** I've reitewrated before. I could go on technical details like how backwards ass it is that the PS4 uses SATA2 for its storage interface or how the ethernet adaptor is crippled but again that's old news.

The deal-breaker for me is loading times, like holy F how can you stand it? Every multi-platform Rocket League game is like everyone on PC loading in and then waiting half a minute for the Xbone/PS4 players. When a match is 5 minutes long having to wait around for PS4/Xbone players is very noticable.

As for game selection.... 20+ year library is going to beat a 3 year old console generation that many admit is disappointing any day of the week.

Out of everything though the reason I don't like console gaming is how it supports a closed ecosystem and monopoly. While MS and Sony continue to abuse the control they have and very few people even bat an eyelid. The reason I dislike console gaming is the same reason I dislike Apple.

And as an afterthought, Have you heard how loud these past two console generations have been? And that's a better fit in your living room than a silent PC?
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:15 pm

Laughing

getting a bit intense?

Phritz wrote:What's the point of using a controller for games like Rocket League, Witcher, PES, FIFA and NFS?

Realize not everyone plays the same games.

The only game that interests me in that list is Witcher, and I already beat that.

Also, its an opinion. For you FIFA is better on PC. Nothing less intuitive than that, FIFA on PC is pointless for me. Not that FIFA is one of my main games.

Phritz wrote:RTS not really present... the most played game in the world is an RTS which just had a 5 million dollar World Championship that's the most watched sporting event in the US that isn't NFL...

I'm guessing you mean League of Legends. Thats not an RTS comparable to basically any other RTS ever made. Its a MOBA. Something very different.

Not everyone has the same priorities as you in gaming. The PS4 or Xbox One graphics' are entirely good enough for me. Graphics are only part of the package. Gaming on PC is just too much more of a hassle for me to prefer it.

I've had a gaming PC that I built and I've been playing PC and consoles for a long time. I just much rather have a PS/2/3/4 for the games it has and the comfort.

Almost none of my favorite games get released simultaneously (or at all) on PC. Except, again, RTS (not MOBAs), point and click adventures that basically died a long time ago, or some WRPG most of which get released on console as well.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:45 pm

This is what i'm talking about lol.

Nobody actually cares, we are happy with our decisions either way ( some PC, some Console) there's need for a lecture on why we should reconsider.

It just comes across really poorly and it's tiring.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:47 pm

Yeah, I really don't think "how backwards ass it is that the PS4 uses SATA2 for its storage interface or how the ethernet adaptor is crippled" is gonna prevent me from enjoying FFXV next month.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next