Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Luke Cage || Netflix - Page 2 Empty Re: Luke Cage || Netflix

Post by RealGunner Sat 1 Oct - 3:09:24

Episode 3

Spoiler:

That one man heist was cool.

Saw that agent killing Chico from milesssssssssssssssssss away.

HOLY SHIT THE ENDING

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 1 Oct - 4:23:13

Marvel shows know how to create amazing villains

Cottonmouth is fantastic :bow: :bow: Not surprising either considering who is the actor.

Kingpin, Kilgrave and now Cottonmouth. They all shit over any MCU villain.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat 1 Oct - 6:59:09

Just finished it. Still have to think about how I liked it. Felt a lot more like a comic book than JJ and DD, guess a lot of that down to the hero. But was kinda surprised by how light hearted the show is. Some things I didn't really like, some very strong points. Anyway gotta sleep a night over it and sort my thoughts hmm

zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Ajax

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sat 1 Oct - 13:32:04

seems like a lot of mixed timpressions around, still undecided if I should jump in, might save it for a rainy weekend.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat 1 Oct - 13:51:16

Episode 1

Spoiler:
E1 was kinda meh, lots of MCU references which is cool, also seeing Luke lazily beat the shit out of them fools is always entertaining but the antagonist was meh, I hope he gets some kind of powers because Luke should be able to smash him easily.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sat 1 Oct - 16:25:23

@zigra wrote:Just finished it. Still have to think about how I liked it. Felt a lot more like a comic book than JJ and DD, guess a lot of that down to the hero. But was kinda surprised by how light hearted the show is. Some things I didn't really like, some very strong points. Anyway gotta sleep a night over it and sort my thoughts hmm

Wait what? You've finished the whole series?
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Sat 1 Oct - 17:24:43

@Abramovich wrote:
@zigra wrote:Just finished it. Still have to think about how I liked it. Felt a lot more like a comic book than JJ and DD, guess a lot of that down to the hero. But was kinda surprised by how light hearted the show is. Some things I didn't really like, some very strong points. Anyway gotta sleep a night over it and sort my thoughts hmm

Didn't have anything to do so why not just watch it all in one go.

Just some random thoughts because football is boring atm, obviously spoilers for all episodes inclusive

Spoiler:

Like the setting, like the fact that a marvel show doesn't have a problem with being political. Like that the supporting cast has none of these people where everyone wonders who the hell thought it would be a good idea to include them.
Hated the fights. Was fun to watch random thugs try to shoot Cage or hit him with a machete and shit for like two times and you have that happening the whole season. Boss fight against Diamondback was proper crap.
Cottonmouth was great so I wasn't a fan to see him go so early. Prefered him a lot over Diamondback.
I think his death caused two problems. The first is obvious - he was a better villain than Diamondback. The second is a bit different. His death marked a change in the show. It shifted away from the streets without him. Diamondback might have been a gang leader on paper but he didn't feel like one to me. He was a loner trying to kill his brother. And Mariah was/is a politician. For me the gang topic kind of died with Cottonmouth. And yeah, the whole setting was really what made me watch the show on day 1 so that was a damn shame.
On to the police work. That was a strange one because it got a LOT of time but at the same time we got surprisingly little interesting actual police work. I think they should have either reduced the amount of time they gave to the police OR they should have made it more interesting. It felt very flat to me and quite often a bit too convenient.
I liked the music.

Last edited by zigra on Sun 2 Oct - 3:07:04; edited 1 time in total
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 1 Oct - 18:43:35

Episode 7

Spoiler:

Holy mother of god. Wow. Did NOT expect that.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sat 1 Oct - 20:22:26

The weapons that Cottonmouth sell is from Hammer Tech. The company that Justin Hammer, the Iron Man 2 villain, owns.

Cool connection.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat 1 Oct - 20:35:33

@M99 wrote:The weapons that Cottonmouth sell is from Hammer Tech. The company that Justin Hammer, the Iron Man 2 villain, owns.

Cool connection.

The cool thing is that they could have easily made it Stark Industries so more people would have got it but it wouldn't have made sense in the context of the MCU.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat 1 Oct - 20:38:09

Spoiler:

They already dropped tony stark's name so that's enough Easter eggs for Avengers

Don't really like how open Luke cage has been about mentioning the Avengers. It was really subtle in DD and JJ which was nice.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun 2 Oct - 0:58:39

Episode 9

Spoiler:

Most boring episode so far. Really not into the police thing. No idea why they dragged this for so long
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun 2 Oct - 1:40:02

I haven't read Zigra's post or those spoilers but I know exactly what he may have written in there

episode 8-10

Spoiler:

Gone downhill really fast after cottonmouth died. Diamondback is crap compared to him.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Sun 2 Oct - 17:31:31

@RealGunner wrote:I haven't read Zigra's post or those spoilers but I know exactly what he may have written in there

episode 8-10

Spoiler:

Gone downhill really fast after cottonmouth died. Diamondback is crap compared to him.

Spoiler:
I actually liked Diamondback more. He is much more menacing and dangerous than Cottonmouth.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun 2 Oct - 17:41:27

^
Spoiler:

He is more menacing for sure now I am at episode 12 however the actor really doesn't go down well for me. Cottonmouth had more of a character and was much more interesting IMO

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 3 Oct - 1:19:28

@zigra wrote:
@Abramovich wrote:

Didn't have anything to do so why not just watch it all in one go.

Just some random thoughts because football is boring atm, obviously spoilers for all episodes inclusive

Spoiler:

Like the setting, like the fact that a marvel show doesn't have a problem with being political. Like that the supporting cast has none of these people where everyone wonders who the hell thought it would be a good idea to include them.
Hated the fights. Was fun to watch random thugs try to shoot Cage or hit him with a machete and shit for like two times and you have that happening the whole season. Boss fight against Diamondback was proper crap.
Cottonmouth was great so I wasn't a fan to see him go so early. Prefered him a lot over Diamondback.
I think his death caused two problems. The first is obvious - he was a better villain than Diamondback. The second is a bit different. His death marked a change in the show. It shifted away from the streets without him. Diamondback might have been a gang leader on paper but he didn't feel like one to me. He was a loner trying to kill his brother. And Mariah was/is a politician. For me the gang topic kind of died with Cottonmouth. And yeah, the whole setting was really what made me watch the show on day 1 so that was a damn shame.
On to the police work. That was a strange one because it got a LOT of time but at the same time we got surprisingly little interesting actual police work. I think they should have either reduced the amount of time they gave to the police OR they should have made it more interesting. It felt very flat to me and quite often a bit too convenient.
I liked the music.

Completely agree with all of that. My thoughts too.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 3 Oct - 1:23:45

Spoiler free thoughts

Finished it. It was really good. Not better than DD S1 or JJ S1 but it handled itself well.

I really liked Luke, Misty, Shades and Cottonmouth.

Cottonmouth is a great character. Love the actor.

Major spoilers below

Spoiler:

I don't have to add anything to what Zigra already said. I wasn't a fan of post-cottonmouth events as much. Diamondback was more menacing but he wasn't interesting at all. Plus the police stuff was boring to watch and took way too long.

Claire is awesome. Can't wait to see her in Iron fist as well rofl

I was kinda hoping Jessica Jones makes a cameo as Luke did in her show. but I suppose it would have been overkill lol.

End fight was shit but there was no other way to do it.

Overall 8/10
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Mon 3 Oct - 2:16:46

My ranking for Netflix MCU is

1) Jessica Jones
2) Daredevil
3) Luke Cage

That being said, the show was still quite good. Better than any comic book show that is not Netflix. I loved how unapologetically black this show was. The social commentary it provided was great, it delivered highly on the main themes the show promised. I felt it faltered in the middle but the beginning build up and payoff, and the last episodes were highly enjoyable for me.

Spoiler:
I don't really think any of Cottonmouth, Black Mariah, Shades or Diamondback were anything special. Especially after Kingpin and Purple Man. What put me off about Cottonmouth was how inept he was. He posed 0 threat to Luke and did 9 damage to him. Maybe I got spoiled by Narcos but I expected his goons to actually kill people in Harlem to send a message to Luke. Like in Dark Knight where Joker starts killing people unless Batman reveals himself. But then I guess he's not that type of villain. Would have helped if he was at least half as powerful and influential as Kingpin.

Diamondback was fine imo, he was not bad at all. I thought the actor did quite well, some of his lines were amazing. Diet Obama, Bye Felicia Laughing

I really didn't like some of the convenient coincidences of the plot. Luke Cage works in a bar that is owned by the biggest gangster in Harlem who happens to be an ally of Luke's gangster half brother and whose new bodyguard happens to be Luke's enemy from prison. Yeah way too convenient.

Anyway best character was Method Man imo. Music was 10/10. Has one of the best soundtrack I heard on TV.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon 3 Oct - 3:38:29

Finished it earlier today. I thought it was fantastic tbh. Sure, the narrative isn't particularly original, but I liked it all the same.

Big fan of Alfre Woodard and her work so I think she did a good job taking on Black Mariah. Simone Missick (she's from Detroit!) did really well as Misty and looks set to fit right in with the Defenders coming up. Looking forward to seeing how she fits in on Iron Fist, given their considerable history in the comics.

As for Cottonmouth and Diamondback, I truly liked them both, but though Cottonmouth had more depth obviously and was a lot more nuanced. Constrasting styles of course in villain. Shades was the only character I didn't really have a lot of familiarity with, but Theo Rossi did really well with him. After seeing him be such a weakling as Juice on SOA, it was great to see him play a strong, powerful character.

And then there's Luke himself. I personally think Mike Colter's rather bland as an actor. He's been that way for me in just about anything I've seen him in and this is no different. That said, he was still well cast for this role and did a fine job with it. Great chemistry with Misty and his juxtaposition with Cottonmouth was compelling at times. Just wish they had dug even further into that.

Think I need to get this soundtrack for my mom though. That was basically a greatest hits album of all of her favorite artists, especially the Delphonics.

I think I want to run through it again before I try to compare it to the other shows.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon 3 Oct - 4:01:44

Soundtrack was absolutely amazing. No question about that.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue 4 Oct - 20:23:25

Finished it. DDs1 > DDs2 > Luke Cage > >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Jessica Jones

Spoiler:
Loved the music and the opening episodes because of the build up towards him and cotton mouth and the mysterious diamond back. I love the way the show represented Harlem and also paid homage to the original Luke Cage in that yellow costume and headbrace.

The 3rd act was weak, Shades literally did nothing and his relationship with Cotton Mouths cousin seemed very forced and weird. Diamon back actor was great but he was a bit of a let down and had too many chances to kill off Luke Cage and did't take them. Then the fight at the end where he was dressed up as some "pimp storm trooper" rofl was ridiculous and seemed to foreign to the series. It was just kind of corny for me. Cotton Mouth being kiled off derailed the show as he was by far the most fleshed out character in the series. That female nurse is like the Nick Fury of Marvel netflix Laughing

Great female cast. Shades was just a waste of space. Overall I'd give it a 6.5/7 out of 10. Decent background to the character for future series/meet ups.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue 4 Oct - 20:46:26

I still haven't watched this but JJ for me was >> DD1 >> DD2
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue 4 Oct - 21:02:09

Don't call me James wrote:I still haven't watched this but JJ for me was >> DD1 >> DD2

TBH I'll have to rewatch it again. DD2 was too predictable, especially the ending. Immediately he said he would go anywhere with elektra in the last episode I knew what was coming.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by zigra Tue 4 Oct - 22:09:19

Lol why did you hate JJ so much jibers? Laughing
Still the best of the 3 shows for me. Only DDs1 comes somewhat close imo.
zigra
zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by LeVersacci Wed 5 Oct - 23:50:25

Cottonmouth is *bleep* amazing. Mah n had me in tears so many times and i've only finished ep 5

EP5 banter
Spoiler:
"This nigga is half houdini half Ali?"
Had me on the floor after that rofl

Already prefer Luke Cage over JJ. I hated the supporting cast, especially the twins even though JJ & Barty Crouch, Jr Killgrave was goat it wasn't enough to put it over LC.

So far DD1 > DD2 (thanks to The Punisher) > LC > JJ

imo
LeVersacci
LeVersacci
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down