Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ?

+31
McAgger
Kaladin
jibers
Lucifer
Sri
Curtinho
VanDeezNuts
BarcaLearning
Nivash
futbol_bill
Hapless_Hans
Adit
Winter is Coming
titosantill
LeBéninois
rincon
chad4401
RealGunner
CBarca
futbol
Valkyrja
El Gunner
Casciavit
zigra
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Glory
zizzle
sportsczy
ExtremistEnigma
Firenze
S
35 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What do you pick

Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ? - Page 5 Vote_lcap59%Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ? - Page 5 Vote_rcap 59% 
[ 22 ]
Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ? - Page 5 Vote_lcap41%Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ? - Page 5 Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 15 ]

Total Votes : 37

Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ? - Page 5 Empty Re: Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ?

Post by zigra Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:17 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Also I'm confused why this thread is being bumped based on Sunday when the thread is about the future hmm

It's not always about the distant future hmm

zigra
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ? - Page 5 Empty Re: Manchester United Vs Manchester City : Who has the brighter future ?

Post by rincon Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:19 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Also I'm confused why this thread is being bumped based on Sunday when the thread is about the future hmm

Sunday is a good day to think about the future hmm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:

What has that got to do with anything? Quite obviously if players like Ianeacho are due to the work over the last 4 to 5 years.

What happens this summer has nothing to do with that in the slightest, besides it's only compared to Man Yoo who also do *bleep* all really.

Just trying to be fair. United actually does promote a lot of players lately, they don't necessarily work out, but they try. Januzaj and the gang of scrubs have been tried.

Mourinho will likely set them back in that sense though.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:21 pm

Fair enough hmm

Honestly I don’t think either are that good at development tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:24 pm

My thoughts about future typically center around my next meal hmm

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:07 pm

Sri wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:
Sri wrote:Even Arsenal has a better defense than City atm rofl

Arsenal have had the best central defense in the league for a number of seasons now

Not sure if RG hacked your account here. Razz

Mertesacker is ok, but has his well-documented shortcomings. Koscielny is among the best CBs worldwide, even if you discount the RG-Hype-Machinery.

That said, Mustafi is a solid addition to phase out Mertesacker. Gabriel can still turn it around (Koscielny took his time to grow into what he is today too). Holding and Chambers have the potential to be the bedrock of our long term CB partnership too.

With Bellerin and Monreal, we have a solid pair of full backs. Gibbs and Debuchy will be consistent, if not stellar, backups to the pair. So that is sorted too.

I haven't yet given up on Jenkinson, especially if he can go back to the pre-injury West Ham levels. That would ease him in when we move Debuchy on.

(All this, with Cech in goal and Ospina as a more than able players waiting in line).

In all, that's pretty solid.

Koscielny-Merte were the best CB pairing in the league in the last seasons, period.
Who is better?
Who has better numbers?
Especially if you consider how defensive midfield support was a perennial problem in Arsenal's setup, they did very, very well.

It's only because it's become such a tired, deep seated clishé in the PL public that Arsenal are supposed to be bad at defending that this fact isn't recognized, pointed out, and appreciated more.

Now with Mustafi and Holding, Arsenal have even upgraded on that.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:38 pm

Hapless_Hans wrote:
Sri wrote:
Hapless_Hans wrote:

Arsenal have had the best central defense in the league for a number of seasons now

Not sure if RG hacked your account here. Razz

Mertesacker is ok, but has his well-documented shortcomings. Koscielny is among the best CBs worldwide, even if you discount the RG-Hype-Machinery.

That said, Mustafi is a solid addition to phase out Mertesacker. Gabriel can still turn it around (Koscielny took his time to grow into what he is today too). Holding and Chambers have the potential to be the bedrock of our long term CB partnership too.

With Bellerin and Monreal, we have a solid pair of full backs. Gibbs and Debuchy will be consistent, if not stellar, backups to the pair. So that is sorted too.

I haven't yet given up on Jenkinson, especially if he can go back to the pre-injury West Ham levels. That would ease him in when we move Debuchy on.

(All this, with Cech in goal and Ospina as a more than able players waiting in line).

In all, that's pretty solid.

Koscielny-Merte were the best CB pairing in the league in the last seasons, period.
Who is better?
Who has better numbers?
Especially if you consider how defensive midfield support was a perennial problem in Arsenal's setup, they did very, very well.

It's only because it's become such a tired, deep seated clishé in the PL public that Arsenal are supposed to be bad at defending that this fact isn't recognized, pointed out, and appreciated more.

Now with Mustafi and Holding, Arsenal have even upgraded on that.

Calling them the best is a Hans-esque exaggeration, but I broadly agree with your assessment otherwise.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:53 pm

The best pairing in the league in recent years. Not the best overall, obviously.
Tell me which central defense you thought was better, in the last 3 seasons?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:57 pm

I think Terry/Cahill was pretty solid.

Also, props to Leicester's defense last season.

The numbers, in my opinion, don't always tell the compete picture. However, I admit that they're among the more appropriate quantitative metrics that we have.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:58 pm

Peak SAF defense was amazing too iirc - though that wouldn't count as 'recent years' anymore

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:00 pm

Terry/Cahill only got to be solid for a season or two because of Mourinho's massively defensive setup. If the whole team defense isn't tight anymore, we've seen how absolutely terrible they can look all of a sudden.

Let's not forget Arsenal managed decently low numbers of goals conceded with Wenger doing stuff like playing a double pivot of Arteta-Oxlade, with the full backs bombing forward, (yes, that happened Laughing) away at Chelsea and thus shipping five goals in one go.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:09 pm

That's just it though, how do you compare 'only' the CB pairing, discounting the effects of the midfield protection and the system in place?

That's why goals conceded would be a poor metric.

We also have to consider the fact that we had lolworthy GKs for a while before Cech.

And that season, there were a whole bunch of 5 and 6 goal hammerings - including City, Chelsea, and Liverpool. Lots of yolo selections and tactics, partially enforced by player fitness.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:11 pm

@Mods/admin - could you please splice these posts into a separate thread? 'Best PL CB pairing in last 5 seasons' perhaps?

I get that it is deviating away from the Manchester pissfest bragging rights over brighter futures.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:21 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
ES wrote:United definitely has the better future, Rashford, Pogs, Martial etc. City may have hacks like Gabriel Jesus and Stones, but you can count on Guardiola to ruin them, i mean this is the guy who got Xabi and benched Thiago. Who's only notable promotion from Barca youth was Bojan and look how that turned out

Eh?  If there's one thing you can't criticise him for is an ability to develop players lol.

He doesn't ruin kids really, you can criticise for a lot of things but that isn't one of them.

I mean wasn't he playing Kimmich and Coman over much more experienced players last year lol.

You were much more fun when your trolling wasn't so blatant. Sad

He was playing Kimmich and Coman because there was an insane injury crisis, Kimmich wouldn't have seen the light of day if Boateng/Javi/Benatia etc weren't out, Coman the same
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:27 pm

And lol @ the trolling part, just because someone doesn't share your view doesn't mean he's a troll
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:30 pm

Mustafi-Koscielny...  I have to see Mustafi in the EPL first.  Top 2 pairing along with Bailly-Blind.

Stones-Otamendi is really shaky imo.  Cahill/Terry is solid...  but it's not great.  Cahill just isn't a very good defender imo.  I still like Terry though.

This is where Liverpool has failed massively btw.  I can't believe Klopp didn't upgrade BOTH CBs.  In what universe did he think Lovren-Matip was going to be ok. Once it was clear he wasn't going to count on Sakho, he should have moved for another CB.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:34 pm

if Mustafi is legit then Arsenal will have the best CB pairing by far lol, can't say I'm a fan of any in the PL atm.

Need to see a lot more of Bailly, he seems very good thus far though.
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:39 pm

Firenze wrote:Hope we smash them tbh, I expect it to be a boring draw though Laughing

Mostly to shut up these plebs that are sucking off Pep at every opportunity ffs (not necessarily on GL)

Shots fired at Pepmonica

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:42 pm

sportsczy wrote:Mustafi-Koscielny...  I have to see Mustafi in the EPL first.  Top 2 pairing along with Bailly-Blind.

Stones-Otamendi is really shaky imo.  Cahill/Terry is solid...  but it's not great.  Cahill just isn't a very good defender imo.  I still like Terry though.

This is where Liverpool has failed massively btw.  I can't believe Klopp didn't upgrade BOTH CBs.  In what universe did he think Lovren-Matip was going to be ok. Once it was clear he wasn't going to count on Sakho, he should have moved for another CB.

I think Cahill is pretty good for the PL tbf. Agree on judging Mustafi once he plays a bit (and realizes that playing at the Arsenal backline is the most exposed he'll ever be).

I have seen a lot of hope tied to Matip here, but haven't seen (enough) to form an opinion yet. I think Sakho can work himself back into Klopp's plans if he is humble and diligent.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:44 pm

Klopp brought in 2 CBs though.
@sportsczy 's universe, despite the Eastern Europeanish username, apparently does not extend until Estonia.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:49 pm

Who was the second other than Matip (who I think is going to have a hard time btw; I thought he was slow in Bundi let alone EPL)?

Edit: Klavan... you have to be joking.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:23 pm

But that's typical of Kloppo's scouting tbf

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:47 pm

lmao at Sport thinking Blind is gonna be part of a top 2 Cb partnership and then goes and writes out the likes of Matip, Cahill, Otemendi, Lovren Laughing
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:58 pm

Rashford

/discussion
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:21 pm

RED wrote:Rashford

/Bench

fixed
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:28 pm

RealGunner wrote:
RED wrote:Rashford

/Bench

fixed

Smile
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by S Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:24 am

Almost 2 seasons in now and if we ignore the first season which has been fairly average for both clubs(unless winning EL is considered a huge achievement for a club like United) but City are walking away with a PL title, potentially contesting a Champions League semi and won their domestic cup while Man United are battling to keep their 2nd spot, kicked out of CL , have their star players underperforming and managed by a coach who's practically washed up and refuses to own up to his mistakes. Even in the short term, City look the more dominant and successful club.

Inb4FaCupvictory and everything's fine at United again.

S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next