CBarca
windkick
Hapless_Hans
zizzle
McAgger
34 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Pjanic would walk into any midfield in the world and start - Page 3 Empty Re: Pjanic would walk into any midfield in the world and start

Post by Freeza Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:46 pm

farfan wrote:

19-year-old Pjanic knocking Madrid out of the Champions League.

Maybe some of Jj's loseritis rubbed off on him. hmm

Higuain knocked us out. Not Pjanic.

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Pjanic would walk into any midfield in the world and start - Page 3 Empty Re: Pjanic would walk into any midfield in the world and start

Post by RealGunner Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:45 am

That Lyon team was so good Sad

Lisando Lopez was one of my favourite players at that time.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:40 am

Rarely do I bump threads, but Pjanic has been in for quite a bit of criticism, especially after Juve's loss yesterday. Has left me a bit perplexed and bemused.

Personally as a Romanista, I have nothing, but respect for him. Most Romanisti consider him a traitor for going to Juve, but I just shrug my shoulders. He wanted go, Juve could pay and we had FFP all over us. Done dealio. It is what it is. Still one of the very best midfielders we've had in recent years.

Since then though, he's had the expected domestic success, but continentally seems a farcry from the young upstart midfielder, once considered Juninho's heir, in that Lyon team that (for a while at least) seemed to have Real Madrid's number whenever they met in the CL. He doesn't quite appear to be rising the occasion when Juve need him to.

Where has it gone wrong for Mira, fellas? Is it a Mira problem or a Max problem?
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:52 am

McLewis wrote:

Where has it gone wrong for Mira, fellas? Is it a Mira problem or a Max problem?

He doesn't play mezz'ala because Allegri deploys those players very wide and he doesn't have the physical attributes to play like that. So, he plays regista basso, like Pirlo, but he's a poor man's version of what Pirlo was. Allegri tried him there a couple of times this season, with Can behind him, but only for like a few minutes. And it's a shame, because the few times that he drifted up the pitch, voluntarily or not, he always managed a great pass. IMO, Allegri has wasted Pjanic these years.

Oh, he also had a fever yesterday, he was uncertain until game time.
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:55 am

He is surrounded by donkeys.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:29 am

rincon wrote:He is surrounded by donkeys.

I know Matuidi does a good amount of hustling and defensive work, but by god his touch is awful. Bentancur is so awkward on the ball
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:24 am

he was sick yesterday, but fought though it to play. a bit unfair imo
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:05 pm

Indeed, and even then Pjanic wasn't the problem. It was Matuidi and Bentancur not being able to deal at all with Atletico's mids. Basically all of Atletico's mids did Matuidi's job better than him, and Bentancur got pressed to oblivion.

The only times when we moved the ball forward cleanly through the middle was when Dybala did it. That's the failure of our mezzalas, Dybala has to go back to carry the ball forward because they can't.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:01 pm

Always thought hes a bit overrated, he has his weaknesses, and doesnt dominate as often as u would expect from a real WC midfield 'commander' in the big games as u would like say Pirlo?

Anyway, Khedira out did it have an effect on him too?
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:47 am

Good to hear it wasn't completely him to blame. I had a feeling it wasn't.

It's interesting that Juve don't have a pure destroyer in that midfield. What made Pjanic so good for us was having DDR willing and able to do the dirty work to free him up to get forward cut open defenses. This was instrumental in Rudi's first 10 games, perhaps showcasing Pjanic at his absolute finest. He must have license to get forward and interplay with the attackers or else he's just not effective. His form dipped noticeably that same season when Rudi assigned him more defensive responsibility and while he rebounded a bit under Spaletti, he was nowhere near as dynamic as he could be. These performances under Allegri are similar to that. Not terrible, but a way off from the levels he's previously reached.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:23 am

I always thought Juve interpretation of the 3 man midfield is interesting. It's piggy backing on Pirlo's Milan team when he was playing next to Seedorf and Gattuso, and then became Vidal-Pirlo-Pogba (marchisio) at Juve a few years later.

Having a technically gifted player like Pjanic in front of the defense is great in theory, it helps in bringing the ball cleanly from the back: both your CB spread wide and your DM drops back to collect the ball.

having your box to box as mezzalas also help in defensive transition since they should be much better physically and much more able to cover ground and help the fullback.

But in juve case, mezzalas like Khedira, Can and that uruguyan kid have 0 attacking quality except for running. they are terrible.
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:41 am

How Pjanic is getting any criticism is beyond me.

We have a Trequartista to a Fantasista in him (believe it or not his finest and original role) who is being made to compromise his strengths and exposed for his weaknesses despite being quintessentially as an old school playmaker due to his frail physique and lack of athleticism. Whilst he has performed admirably in that defensive end of his game due to his sheer understanding of all things on the pitch, where he fails is due to his lack of explosiveness and physical defensive qualities and the clear indication he wants to focus on what he does best.

Pirlo? Pirlo had Pogba, Vidal, and Claudio Marchisio as his midfielders to patrol, make runs and be dynamic for him.

Pjanic has Khedira, Matuidi and fucking Bentancur. Obviously he will be compromised in a front of the defence role to which he has to provide protection whilst maintaining a passing role to which he STILL succeeds tremendously in.

Sadly for him Allegri despite being a superb manager is trying to maximise Pjanic for all he does have and spreading him rather thin, thus taking away what he does best, and he remains Juve's top 3 players on the attacking end.

How is this even a thing?
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:08 pm

McLewis wrote:Good to hear it wasn't completely him to blame. I had a feeling it wasn't.

It's interesting that Juve don't have a pure destroyer in that midfield. What made Pjanic so good for us was having DDR willing and able to do the dirty work to free him up to get forward cut open defenses. This was instrumental in Rudi's first 10 games, perhaps showcasing Pjanic at his absolute finest. He must have license to get forward and interplay with the attackers or else he's just not effective. His form dipped noticeably that same season when Rudi assigned him more defensive responsibility and while he rebounded a bit under Spaletti, he was nowhere near as dynamic as he could be. These performances under Allegri are similar to that. Not terrible, but a way off from the levels he's previously reached.

Can would be that destroyer, but, like I already said, it doesn't matter because Pjanic plays in that position on the pitch, albeit not as a destroyer. Allegri played that combo during a couple of matches and he even said that he liked it because Can offers better cover and that Pjanic has more freedom, but he did it for only about 20 minutes in each match. I guess 40 minutes spread over two matches is the most that Allegri can get outside of his comfort zone.
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:16 pm

Arquitescu wrote:

Pirlo? Pirlo had Pogba, Vidal, and Claudio Marchisio as his midfielders to patrol, make runs and be dynamic for him.

Pjanic has Khedira, Matuidi and fucking Bentancur. Obviously he will be compromised in a front of the defence role to which he has to provide protection whilst maintaining a passing role to which he STILL succeeds tremendously in.

Sadly for him Allegri despite being a superb manager is trying to maximise Pjanic for all he does have and spreading him rather thin, thus taking away what he does best, and he remains Juve's top 3 players on the attacking end.

How is this even a thing?

I'm the first in line when it comes to shitting on Khedira and Matuidi, but Pjanic is no Pirlo in that role. He doesn't have the same passing range and vision (not that many other players ever had), he plays too horizontally and slows down the tempo too much. What he does very well from that position is reading the play and intercepting the ball.
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:23 pm

I would argue Pjanic's vision surpasses Pirlo in the more advanced stages of the pitch as his footballing IQ is utterly magnificent yet where he is phased out is when the games get a bit too physical for him as Allegri seems to understand that Pjanic's excellent defensive reading of the game does not outweigh his average physical characteristics to which not only blow him out of the game, they prevent him from playing to his strengths.

Point being for the circumstances he is under he is performing remarkably well.

Very similar to the Mark van Bommel in Allegri's Scudetto winning season with Milan which had passing freedom but a LOT of defensive work.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by adun101 Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:49 pm

Arquitescu wrote:I would argue Pjanic's vision surpasses Pirlo in the more advanced stages of the pitch

This is probably correct, although Pirlo barely played there, so we can't say for sure. Regardless, it doesn't matter, Pjanic is not playing there either.
adun101
adun101
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:49 pm

Where did it all go wrong? Look at who made this thread.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:13 pm

People doubting Pjanic when he was sick last game rofl
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:15 pm

Correction is people doubting Pjanic when he is not played as a thug but given total creative freedom as he was today.

He's been lighting up Champions League on most occasions since he was 18 in Lyon.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:16 pm

I've been a fan of Pjanic since he played for Lyon. I really don't get how people can still be doubting and calling him a fraud, at this point in his career. Last time I checked, he was one of the most efficient freekick takers in the world, as well.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 pm

I'm still gonna doubt him tbh
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:17 pm

It seems people have short memories.
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by rincon Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:18 pm

Pjanic is a monster. 2 levels above his midfield partners and still dominates most of the time.
rincon
rincon
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 pm

Doc wrote:I'm still gonna doubt him tbh

He's been an absolute menace to us every time we've played against him, be it for Lyon, Roma or Juventus. He's always been a top player.

Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:26 pm

I ain't know about every time but it has been set in stone that we can watch the same match and draw very different conclusions.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Thimmy Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:29 pm

Well, I don't remember all of the matches we've played against him, but I clearly remember him causing us trouble on multiple occasions, both for Lyon and for Roma. He scored a stunning freekick against us when he played for Roma, if I remember correctly.
Thimmy
Thimmy
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next