Stats on the 'Play the Youth' Arguement

3 posters

Go down

Stats on the 'Play the Youth' Arguement Empty Stats on the 'Play the Youth' Arguement

Post by Kick Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:02 am

I got thinking tonight about how our youth players appearances actually compare to previous seasons. So here is what I have found, simply by looking at appearances in all competitions of players registered as U21.

15/16 (so far): 45 apps, 27 subs, 72 total apps.
14/15: 20 apps, 11 subs, 31 total.
13/14: 28 total apps
12/13: 144 apps, 18 without Hazard and Oscar.
11/12: 41 apps
10/11: 65 apps
09/10: 43 apps.

Aside from the anomaly of 12/13 where Hazard and Oscar counted as U21s despite being high profile signings, this season has featured more youth than any since our double winning season, even more than Carlo's play the youth season of 10/11.

This data is skewed by Kurt Zouma, but every other season had one or two youth players featuring more than the rest, Zouma, Salah, Romeu and Sutrridge all featured more than twice as much as any other youth player on their respective season. Even without the one, often featured youth player removed, we only played more youth players in 10/11, a record which we could beat this season.

While we may not be jumping into the 'play the youth' pool, we're certainly doing more than just dipping our toe, which, in my opinion, is just about the best we could hope for. And with Guus seemingly pushing more trust onto Baba, Traore and RLC, I think we'll see much more of them as the season winds down so adding a total of 15-20 more appearances to that list may not be out of the question, and that is good enough for me.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Stats on the 'Play the Youth' Arguement Empty Re: Stats on the 'Play the Youth' Arguement

Post by fatman123 Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:06 am

The issue so much isnt as much how much the youth play as it is who plays ahead of the youth

Just going off the top of my head, Struridge is a good example of someone who on paper was young and got plenty of apps, but in reality he was stuck behind a woeful Torres for no reason other than his price tag

A more current example of this is the young CBs like Christensen, Chalobah etc who will be loaned out again because we've bought that American bloke (I honestly dont know his name). It's not an issue of is the yank bloke good enough, but is he really that much better than what we've got now - I dont think so (but I hope I'm wrong).
An even better example of this is why bring in an unfit injury prone Pato over a young, homegrown academy player like Bamford

The clubs seems to always prioritize bringing in players that are (supposedly) good enough for the first team now and then flogging the kids who (apparently) arent good enough for the first team yet out on load until they become superstars. This did work in the case of Courtois - and very nearly in the case of KdB - but the strike rate of this strategy really dosent justify it

Put simply; its now about how many games the youth play, but who's getting picked ahead of them
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Stats on the 'Play the Youth' Arguement Empty Re: Stats on the 'Play the Youth' Arguement

Post by Shed Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:46 am

Actually that's a very good point from fitty (better screenshot such a collector's item). You could almost justify limited appearances for young players if our team were stacked with great players from back to front, but as he points out, many of the players preferred to them over the years have been so exceedingly mediocre and were playing on little more than their age/supposed experience/pricetag rather than abilities, performances or form that it makes our chronic lack of youth involvement immensely frustrating.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:18 am

@Shed wrote:Actually that's a very good point from fitty

I'm back bb

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/undertaker-wake-up.gif
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:04 am

I can say we're improving on Fitty's point, now.

Traore has pushed himself ahead of the poor, injured and unkown trio of Remy, Falcao and Pato.

Without Terry and Zouma, Baba and Kenedy have been playing a lot, too.

Only RLC is falling behind, but considering his huge new contract, he won't go anywhere, mostly because I don't think any other club will want to pay that much for him if he flops with us Laughing
Updated:
15/16 (so far): 50 apps, 30 subs, 80 total apps
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum