titosantill
futbol
RealGunner
BarrileteCosmico
37 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Who... ?

Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o - Page 6 Vote_lcap43%Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o - Page 6 Vote_rcap 43% 
[ 19 ]
Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o - Page 6 Vote_lcap41%Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o - Page 6 Vote_rcap 41% 
[ 18 ]
Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o - Page 6 Vote_lcap16%Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o - Page 6 Vote_rcap 16% 
[ 7 ]

Total Votes : 44

Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o - Page 6 Empty Re: Suarez vs Henry vs Eto'o

Post by Valkyrja Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:25 am

Batigol would have scored 80+ in this Barca tbh.

Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Sun Apr 24, 2016 9:34 am

batigol was a beast, and he had so much power in his shot. i wouldn't take henry over batigol. to be fair, there are so many factors when we say we want to slot one player in a team and asses whether or not he'll do well, i mean nobody would have thought kaka wouldn't have cut it at madrid, and before james came, the people who saw him play guaranteed us who didn't that it was a perfect fit lock and key. once again, what suarez has done is impressive, but to now stylishly put him top 5 in the last 40-50 years is really pushing it. football is different now, and as adit always mentions in the madrid forums, the leagues, and club set ups now are extremely different from even ten years ago

records are impressive, they're meant to be broken, doesn't automatically make someone better. i recall di stefano saying after raul broke his record, that maybe if he knew it will turn into some competition he may have scored more. and eto'o was good technically, he changed his style when he moved, you should have checked out his play at mallorca, he had a very creative role there...i'd pick suarez over him, but there's a little bias there cos i disliked eto'o
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:06 pm

What's this nonsense of la Liga being tougher than the PL in Henry's time futbol ? Laughing

Next thing you'll tell us La liga top scorer Roy Makaay was better than EPL top scorer Van Nistelrooy. hmm
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Sun Apr 24, 2016 2:12 pm

farfan wrote:What's this nonsense of la Liga being tougher than the PL in Henry's time futbol ? Laughing

Next thing you'll tell us La liga top scorer Roy Makaay was better than EPL top scorer Van Nistelrooy. hmm

Poor trolling, farcefan. In the late 90s until mid 00s the likes of Raúl, Ronaldo, Forlan, Eto'o, Kluivert, Rivaldo fought for the Pichichi and young Villa and young Torres were emerging.

The competition for the Mule League top scorer trophy, apart from Ruud (nice cherrypicking), were the likes of Hasselbaink, Kevin Phillips, Kevin Brent, Marcus Steward, Marc Viduka, James Beattie and young Owen.

No wonder Henry could become top scorer 4 times in 5 years. Even Messi, after more than a decade, hasn't won more than 3 top scorer awards yet in La Liga. Laughing Also unthinkable in La Liga that an average team like the "Invincibles" (not so invincible on the big CL stage, eh?) could go 49 league games unbeaten. The La Liga record stands at only 38 and that's with some historic Madrid and Barca teams gracing the league.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Awesome Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:57 pm

I picked Henry but pretty sure all three are around the same level, no doubt. Suarez is the best scorer out of the three, Henry was the most talented of the three, & Eto'o could run more then the other two. It's closee but Henry just edges, IMO.
Lord Awesome
Lord Awesome
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:29 pm

futbol wrote:
farfan wrote:What's this nonsense of la Liga being tougher than the PL in Henry's time futbol ? Laughing

Poor trolling, farcefan. In the late 90s until mid 00s the likes of Raúl, Ronaldo, Forlan, Eto'o, Kluivert, Rivaldo fought for the Pichichi and young Villa and young Torres were emerging.

The competition for the Mule League top scorer trophy, apart from Ruud (nice cherrypicking), were the likes of Hasselbaink, Kevin Phillips, Kevin Brent, Marcus Steward, Marc Viduka, James Beattie and young Owen.

No wonder Henry could become top scorer 4 times in 5 years. Even Messi, after more than a decade, hasn't won more than 3 top scorer awards yet in La Liga. Laughing Also unthinkable in La Liga that an average team like the "Invincibles" (not so invincible on the big CL stage, eh?) could go 49 league games unbeaten. The La Liga record stands at only 38 and that's with some historic Madrid and Barca teams gracing the league.

You genuinely believe that Henry would not have been able to replicate his PL form had he made move to La liga during his prime ? Laughing

You're probably right, Henry is no Manchester United flop Diego Forlan , who managed to win the Pichichi award in his first year with Villareal .Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:20 am

Henry would have done very well in La Liga in his prime but he wouldn't have been the standout player and he wouldn't have walked the Pichichi 4 times in 5 years. During his playing times in and around his prime years Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Figo, Raúl, Eto'o etc. would have played in La Liga to take away from his lime light. Which historic players played in the EPL back then? Lampard, Gerrard and Giggs?

That's why I'm saying that Henry is an English league great but not a world great unless he would have translated his form and carried his teams into CL and/or international glory which he never did. Look what happened to France in 2002 when Zidane was injured. Where was Henry "best striker ever only after R9"? Bottom of a group with Senegal, Denmark and Uruguay. rofl

Let us stay real, pls.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Magricos Sun May 08, 2016 7:48 pm

Don't call me James wrote:I personally have only R9, Van Basten, and Gerd Muller above Suarez in the past 40 years in terms of strikers.

I wouldn't say he's clearly better than Henry or vise versa, but it's a matter of preference. I loved Henry in his prime but I prefer Suarez.

You rank Suarez ahead of Romario and Batistuta then

Magricos
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon May 09, 2016 12:12 am

Yes I do. Batista has never in his career even broken 30 goals in a season. I love Batigol and rate him up there with Van Nistelrooy and that calibre STs but definitely a lower tier than Van Basten, R9, Muller, and Suarez.

And yes I also rank Suarez ahead of Romario, but it's close similar to Henry.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon May 09, 2016 12:33 am

I'd rate Romario above Suarez, but Suarez is probably be than Batigol ever was.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Mon May 09, 2016 11:22 am

not many people in serie a during its heyday where scoring 30 league goals a season. fiorentina and roma with batistuta had good teams, but nowhere as close as the star concentration now, not to mention the rivals they played against (which weren't just 1 or 2 teams in the league, italy at some point had about 7 teams with solid players to brag about)...based on what i saw him do, the man would stroll into any good team presently and perform. especially now when the talent is hoarded among few clubs. suarez is the best striker out now, (not just this season but since his last season at pool), but its a bit premature to rank him above everyone cos of the amazing season he's had
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon May 09, 2016 11:25 am

Batigol would have scored 80 in this Barca
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon May 09, 2016 2:12 pm

Would've, could've, should've, but he didn't.

If Brave Scotty Parker won 4 world cups and 12 Champions leagues and PL every season he would be goat. Sure, but he didn't.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon May 09, 2016 2:44 pm

But Danny Ings would score 50 if he took 300 shots a season Laughing
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lucifer Mon May 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Strange player this Suarez fellow if u ask me. If after match I say he had worst match and you say he had best match we both wont be wrong.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Mon May 09, 2016 5:37 pm

futbol wrote:Henry would have done very well in La Liga in his prime but he wouldn't have been the standout player and he wouldn't have walked the Pichichi 4 times in 5 years. During his playing times in and around his prime years Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Figo, Raúl, Eto'o etc. would have played in La Liga to take away from his lime light. Which historic players played in the EPL back then? Lampard, Gerrard and Giggs?

That's why I'm saying that Henry is an English league great but not a world great unless he would have translated his form and carried his teams into CL and/or international glory which he never did. Look what happened to France in 2002 when Zidane was injured. Where was Henry "best striker ever only after R9"? Bottom of a group with Senegal, Denmark and Uruguay. rofl

Let us stay real, pls.

He could have easily swooped 4 pichichis between 2002 and 2007 . Laughing
Makaay ( Henry is clearly better ) won it with 29 goals in 2002-2003. Laughing
Ronaldo won it  in 2003-2004 with 0 competition , beating the likes of Julio baptista , some scrub named " Mista " , and Espanyol legend Tamudo .
EPL flop  Forlan won it in 2004-2005.
Eto'o won it in 2005-2006.
RVN ( Frequently outperformed by Henry in the PL ) won it in 2006-2007

You're telling me  prime Henry would not have been capable of taking 4 out of the aforementioned 5 playing for a top LOLiga team  ? Laughing

And what international glory does Suarez have compared to Henry  ? Laughing  could have sworn Henry is the 5th highest goal scorer in CL history and Suarez isn't even in the top 50   . hmm

But hey , he nutmegged  the great David luiz ,  so to hell with Henry's records and countless CL pefromances where he embarassed the likes of Inter, Madrid , Juventus...
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Mon May 09, 2016 6:01 pm

farfan wrote:
futbol wrote:Henry would have done very well in La Liga in his prime but he wouldn't have been the standout player and he wouldn't have walked the Pichichi 4 times in 5 years. During his playing times in and around his prime years Rivaldo, Ronaldo, Zidane, Ronaldinho, Figo, Raúl, Eto'o etc. would have played in La Liga to take away from his lime light. Which historic players played in the EPL back then? Lampard, Gerrard and Giggs?

Let us stay real, pls.

Ronaldo won it  in 2003-2004 with 0 competition , beating the likes of Julio baptista , some scrub named " Mista " , and Espanyol legend Tamudo .

You're telling me  prime Henry would not have been capable of taking 4 out of the aforementioned 5 playing for a top LOLiga team  ? Laughing

And what international glory does Suarez have compared to Henry  ? Laughing  could have sworn Henry is the 5th highest goal scorer in CL history and Suarez isn't even in the top 50   . hmm

But hey , he nutmegged  the great David luiz ,  so to hell with Henry's records and countless CL pefromances where he embarassed the likes of Inter, Madrid , Juventus...

By international he probably meant NT perfromances, but it's so easy to forget that Henry had won both the WC and Euro in 98 and 00, before helping France reach the final in 06 only to be beaten at penalties.
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Mon May 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Henry's NT career , while disappointing by his standards , is still pretty damn great .

After all , he just won everything there is to win and retired as his country's top scorer .Laughing
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by alexjanosik Tue May 10, 2016 10:59 am

farfan wrote:

Let us stay real, pls.

Henry never had a CL knockouts campaign like Suarez had last season. Very few strikers have for that matter. He was clutch in every round and found a way to make the difference. Even this season, Suarez performed in the CL knockouts. Only thing Henry has over Suarez when it comes to CL is longevity. But then that shouldnt be held against Suarez as he simply didnt have the chance.
What counts is peak performance and knockouts performance and Suarez trumps Henry.
International level, Suarez trumps Henry again. Crucial player in Uruguay's run to the SF in 2010. Won the tough as nails CA in 2011 as MVP. Performed in the tough as nails Conmebol WC qualifiers.
Came back from injury to knock England out of the WC in 2014. Just better than Henry at NT level, who was fortunate to be on a really great team.
As good as prime Henry was, Suarez is just better. Only thing lacking in his game is genuine pace and acceleration. If he had Henry's pace, he would be the best striker ever hands down.

alexjanosik
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Tue May 10, 2016 11:29 am

I struggle to think of one thing Suarez has over R9 Laughing
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by farfan Tue May 10, 2016 12:49 pm

alexjanosik wrote:
farfan wrote:

Let us stay real, pls.

Makaay ( Henry is clearly better )  won it with 29 goals in 2002-2003. Laughing
RVN ( Frequently outperformed by Henry in the PL )  won it in 2006-2007

As good as prime Henry was, Suarez is just better. Only thing lacking in his game is genuine pace and acceleration. If he had Henry's pace, he would be the best striker ever hands down.

Such an affirmative tone for something that's largely subjective .
Prime Henry set the record for most assists in the PL from his CF position , scored over 23 league goals for 5 years straight  ( pretty sure it's still a record ) and  displayed a level of technical ability  that i haven't seen in Suarez .
Hell , even Past it Thierry henry playing on the left in 2008-2009 managed to put in almost the exact same numbers as Suarez did last year .

CL wise ,i'm not going to invalidate  Henry's body of work and countless KO stage performances over 12 years  and rate it  bellow Suarez'  just because the latter scored a rebound  in front of en empty net in a final .
farfan
farfan
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by titosantill Tue May 10, 2016 12:51 pm

@alexjanosik, i understand when people bring up big game performances and latter stage ucl performances. but it gets cloudy, henry never had that like suarez, but suarez had that only when he joined barcelona. and suarez to me is practically the same player he was at liverpool, its not like he joined and we're seeing new aspects to his game. so would you put pool's suarez ahead of henry, or would you say "well at pool, he never played a major ucl campaign, so he's disqualified"? even at pool i still considered him the best cf in the world, and wanted my team to sign him. ucl knockout or not

that's the murky bit that exists in individual comparisons and teams as well. formations, star concentration, players roles make these things tough. btw eto'o also had better knockout campaigns than henry, and won a couple nations cup for his country (granted they were largely favorites at the time). you know who else have had  as good or better knockout campaigns than henry; inzaghi, scheva, raul, kaka (i think) drogba (i think)

big games matter, but sometimes it depends on the team. and what we call big games- there's a lot of controversy surrounding what's classified as a big game, at least for me. e.g. real madrid vs wolfsburg may be considered a big game cos its in the knockout round, but considering the talent on both sides, it really isn't...it became a big game when we went 2 nil down. same goes for city, yes its a semis, but i'm not sure i could classify that as a big game.....just my take
titosantill
titosantill
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 10, 2016 12:54 pm

Valkyrja wrote:I struggle to think of one thing Suarez has over R9 Laughing

Suarez is very clearly better than the fat post-injury R9

The pre-injury R9 is the one you are talking about in your post and you would be right because that player is literally the only rival to Messi in goat level peaks.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Myesyats Tue May 10, 2016 1:02 pm

Valkyrja wrote:I struggle to think of one thing Suarez has over R9 Laughing

As if you have seen R9 play, D head.

Myesyats
World Class Contributor