The Movie House - Part 5

+30
dostoevsky
Valkyrja
Myesyats
DeletedUser#1
Onyx
Kick
MaraVilla
Firenze
futbol
BarrileteCosmico
gb
Forza
Vibe
Rebaño Sagrado
RED
Tomwin Lannister
Glory
McLewis
CBarca
elitedam
Kaladin
RealGunner
LeVersacci
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Vlad the Impaler
McAgger
M99
El Gunner
RedOranje
Freeza
34 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by McAgger Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:27 pm

Well it's all theoretical, so we can't really disprove it either. But to me it was outlandish.

And on another hand, I let my feeling about the films do the talking. Interstellar was very good up to a point where it completely disconnected with me as the audience. And once it was past that line, I was just watching someone trying too hard to find an ending that simply was over the top and didn't do it. For me at least.

McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Posts : 28318
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Freeza Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:39 pm

The exposition and lazy narrative techniques used made it for me. Casting Matt Damon in that role. You don't cast one of the most famous actors in a role like that without it taking you out of the movie (I knew he was in it beforehand though). And hammering us over the head with symbolism to no end (Dr. Mann, Love etc). Also Sound Mixing was the worst of any movie I've ever seen in a cinema. They even said afterwards you're not supposed to hear the dialogue clearly etc Laughing

It was enjoyable for a visual entertainment, and McConaughey nailed his role. The kid was amazing. Chastain and Affleck were wasted. And the whole son storyline pained me. TARS was a GOAT robot.

The whole science aspect of the film was just too much, I didn't believe that they were astronauts talking to eachother, it seemed like actors reading some scientific dialogue and exposition, since they didn't seem to understand eachother and had to explain everything to eachother.

I just don't think it would have been as highly regarded without Nolan's name on it.

Moon was the best I'd seen until this week.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 23461
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Kaladin Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:51 pm

Sicario 8/10, one of the best OSTs i've heard this year imo
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 24585
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Kaladin Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:18 am

Freeza wrote:
RealGunner wrote:What do you say about Sicario?


Looks like a prime Del Toro, so it has to be a great watch. One of the best actors we've got, atleast in this genre.


Del Toro killed it
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 24585
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Freeza Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 am

ES wrote:
Freeza wrote:
RealGunner wrote:What do you say about Sicario?


Looks like a prime Del Toro, so it has to be a great watch. One of the best actors we've got, atleast in this genre.


Del Toro killed it


Proud Can't wait pls
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 23461
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by McAgger Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:08 am

Shit was gonna go today but it isn't showing close to my house. Closest one is like an hour away Sad
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina
Posts : 28318
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 107

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:17 am

M99 wrote:Gonna start reading the book soon. It's really highly rated.

I read the book back in March and loved it.

Re: the end. It was unbelievable because of the high likelihood it would go wrong, but I can understand from a narrative perspective why they didn't want the protagonist to basically sit tight for the final 1/4 of the movie not doing anything. Also, scientifically speaking it's one of the least controversial things in the movie.

That Hail Ceasar trailer goes from good to great to amazing. Hype!
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona
Posts : 28325
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:03 am

2 movies for me:

1) Steal (2002): Hugely entertaining bank robbery movie, it just felt different. Maybe one reason was the super hot cop.

2) Wind in the Face (ветер в лицо) (2014): Not a movie, but a 4-episode series (each 45 mins) so 3 hours in total, which is basically like a long movie. It's in Russian....but has option of English sub-title. Amazing drama/thriller....i've watched it 5 times in the last 10 days, and got my family/friends to watch to and all have been impressed.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid
Posts : 5155
Join date : 2012-12-06

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by M99 Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:18 am

How does having DiCaprio as your favorite actor make you a casual Laughing Is having Daniel Day Lewis, Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy be your favorite actor a new requirement to be elite? DiCaprio is my favorite actor. Every movie he does I end up looking forward to most in a year and for real, for like years and years I manage to enjoy movies in which he appears tremendously.

The hipster hate he gets on the internet is amusing. Suddenly he did not deserve to win a single Oscar since he was outperformed every year he got nominated. Yeah, apparently Jamie Foxx and out of nowhere Don Cheadle was better than him in 05. And Tommy Lee Jones gave an all time classic performance in 1992.

For Nolan it works both ways. You have fanboys praising everything he does but on the flip side you have haters shitting on him because they have to rain on parades.

Interstellar was flawed for me. I enjoyed it but like McAgger the ending was off putting for me. It was probably a top 5 of the year for me, definitely top 10.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 30391
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 101

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by McAgger Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:42 am

+1 M69. Dicaprio is my favorite actor as well.

The fact that Dicaprio is the truly the epitome of A-list actor currently shouldn't mean you just a casual fan.

*bleep* hell it's like saying if you follow Madrid or Barca you are just a casual football fan.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina
Posts : 28318
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 107

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Glory Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:13 am

Freeza wrote:The exposition and lazy narrative techniques used made it for me. Casting Matt Damon in that role. You don't cast one of the most famous actors in a role like that without it taking you out of the movie (I knew he was in it beforehand though). And hammering us over the head with symbolism to no end (Dr. Mann, Love etc). Also Sound Mixing was the worst of any movie I've ever seen in a cinema. They even said afterwards you're not supposed to hear the dialogue clearly etc Laughing

It was enjoyable for a visual entertainment, and McConaughey nailed his role. The kid was amazing. Chastain and Affleck were wasted. And the whole son storyline pained me. TARS was a GOAT robot.

The whole science aspect of the film was just too much, I didn't believe that they were astronauts talking to eachother, it seemed like actors reading some scientific dialogue and exposition, since they didn't seem to understand eachother and had to explain everything to eachother.

I just don't think it would have been as highly regarded without Nolan's name on it.

Moon was the best I'd seen until this week.


+1

And this.

Yet to watch Martian of course. Sad I am usually very late when it comes to new movies.

By the way there was an alternate script to Interstellar which Jonathan Nolan wrote for Steven Spielberg. It was there available on the internet  some 6 or 7 so months before the film released. (Dont know if its still there )

I got to read that script and honestly it was waaaaay better than Christopher Nolan's version. I mean the whole concept was different. It was very AI esque. Had Spielberg went on and directed it, then it would have been regarded as one of the best space films, clearly. That script had some pretty hardcore material in it.  
Spielberg opted out, Chris Nolan took the project and he altered it to his taste and style naturally especially the final third of the script and the ending. The ending in particular was GOAT in that undirected 1st script. Too bad it didnt see the light of the day.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6328
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by El Gunner Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:22 am

M99 wrote:How does having DiCaprio as your favorite actor make you a casual Laughing Is having Daniel Day Lewis, Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy be your favorite actor a new requirement to be elite? DiCaprio is my favorite actor. Every movie he does I end up looking forward to most in a year and for real, for like years and years I manage to enjoy movies in which he appears tremendously.

The hipster hate he gets on the internet is amusing. Suddenly he did not deserve to win a single Oscar since he was outperformed every year he got nominated. Yeah, apparently Jamie Foxx and out of nowhere Don Cheadle was better than him in 05. And Tommy Lee Jones gave an all time classic performance in 1992.

For Nolan it works both ways. You have fanboys praising everything he does but on the flip side you have haters shitting on him because they have to rain on parades.

Interstellar was flawed for me. I enjoyed it but like McAgger the ending was off putting for me. It was probably a top 5 of the year for me, definitely top 10.

Exactly! And sometimes it feels as though those "haters" just intentionally hate because they are pissed off of the numbers that Nolan draws and his success critically and at the box office, but mostly because they are annoyed at fanboys, so just for the sake of countering things they come up with the most abysmal shit to attack Nolan.
It's like the whole yin yang/full circle thing.

As for Leo. As I said, he is my favourite as well and I think he is the best actor of his generation.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 23021
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Glory Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:50 am

El Gunner wrote:
M99 wrote:How does having DiCaprio as your favorite actor make you a casual Laughing Is having Daniel Day Lewis, Michael Fassbender or Tom Hardy be your favorite actor a new requirement to be elite? DiCaprio is my favorite actor. Every movie he does I end up looking forward to most in a year and for real, for like years and years I manage to enjoy movies in which he appears tremendously.

The hipster hate he gets on the internet is amusing. Suddenly he did not deserve to win a single Oscar since he was outperformed every year he got nominated. Yeah, apparently Jamie Foxx and out of nowhere Don Cheadle was better than him in 05. And Tommy Lee Jones gave an all time classic performance in 1992.

For Nolan it works both ways. You have fanboys praising everything he does but on the flip side you have haters shitting on him because they have to rain on parades.

Interstellar was flawed for me. I enjoyed it but like McAgger the ending was off putting for me. It was probably a top 5 of the year for me, definitely top 10.

Exactly! And sometimes it feels as though those "haters" just intentionally hate because they are pissed off of the numbers that Nolan draws and his success critically and at the box office, but mostly because they are annoyed at fanboys, so just for the sake of countering things they come up with the most abysmal shit to attack Nolan.
It's like the whole yin yang/full circle thing.

As for Leo. As I said, he is my favourite as well and I think he is the best actor of his generation.

Dont know about people who hate for the sake of hating, but largely the hate is deserved. Wont call it hate though. Disapproval.
At the end of the day, 2 of his last films are nowhere in comparison to the films he used to make earlier. Lately its been all style and hype and no substance when it comes to Nolan films.
I used to be a fan too, during the memento, prestige days, and dark knight is in my all time top 5. But I dont think anyone can deny Nolan is going too 'mainstream' lately.
But still he is one of the best talents out there. No question about that. Hopefully his next film will be something different from his recent films . May be a dark comedy or a psycho thriller and I am itching to jump back once again onto Nolan team. Right now there are better directors out there strictly content wise at least.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6328
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by El Gunner Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:55 am

Bruh I tell you there is intentional hating out there.
But of course there is also reasonable and acceptable criticism. And I agree/understand most of the points that those people bring up against Nolan (as I mentioned in my earlier long post, it is mainly about his flawed storytelling)
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 23021
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by El Gunner Mon Oct 12, 2015 7:59 am

@Glory do you like Inception? Would you say he made that just because he wants to go "mainstream"
And then again, what is wrong with "going mainstream"?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 23021
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Glory Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:08 am

El Gunner wrote:Bruh I tell you there is intentional hating out there.
But of course there is also reasonable and acceptable criticism. And I agree/understand most of the points that those people bring up against Nolan (as I mentioned in my earlier long post, it is mainly about his flawed storytelling)


In that case its the hate out of envy. Have seen people hating Game of Thrones in the same kind of way. Just because there are lot of people who are crazy about something, these guys hate it and call them fanbois.
I doubt they have even seen/experienced the thing they are hating. Its the image they build up in their mind. Its sad, but then let them.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6328
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Glory Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:16 am

El Gunner wrote:@Glory do you like Inception? Would you say he made that just because he wants to go "mainstream"
And then again, what is wrong with "going mainstream"?


Yep, I like Inception. Its a genius work.
Upto that point it was fine. I mean there was a balance.  He catered for both the studious and mass and thats the best kind of film making. I mean If you are making money and still delivering quality,.

But after that he overdid it imo, with dark knight rises and interstellar. Wouldnt have had any complaints if those 2 films actually matched or at least 50% matched to the humongous hype that came with it. But they couldnt/didnt.

Nothing wrong with 'going mainstream' . In fact on the contrary I am all for it, for talented offbeat actors and directors making it big mainstream and people acknowledge their talent. But you got to keep the standard/quality in tact along with it. After a while these talented people will start to think by following a certain formula, they can guarantee success. That 'taking the audience for granted' mentality is where the problem lies and which I cant stand.
Now I am Not saying chris nolan have that, dont get me wrong but theres this feeling that lately he too is taking the foot of the pedal slightly. Its like theres a brand been created with his name which will churn money regardless and he is more than willing to just go with the flow.

But then theres no worries at least when it comes to Nolan, he is too bloody good a director to stay like that or fade away into much more formulaic terrain. Pretty damn confident he will be back with a bang. That elusive masterpiece is just one or two films away.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6328
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Freeza Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:53 am

I said there were exceptions, there's lots of them.
It's just my experience from my real life friends who calls DiCaprio the greatest of all time and says he gets robbed for an Oscar every year (this is actually a true story). This pains me so much, because I always ask them what they thought of the guys he lost to. They hadn't seen them of course.

This also happens with Madrid a lot, and every big club. The casuals praise everything, except the coach. Ronaldo can never be critiziced, Ramos is the greatest defender ever, and Bale is the second coming of Jesus.

On the Nolan subject, I pretty much agree with Glory. He used to be one of my absolute favourites, but I just feel he's been getting lazier. He's such a great talent, and I feel he hasn't reached his potential, yet.

Also very pretentious post I posted earlier Laughing Was just trying to give me a viewpoint of something that's easy to love, if you haven't seen a whole lot of movies, since those people are easy to fall in love with, since they're basically the biggest mainstream stars and feature in movies that's seen by most.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 23461
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Kaladin Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:19 pm

The lovey dovey stuff from Hatheway i agree on, but on exposition, i think its alright considering the premise of Interstellar (science heavy). Most of the people i know who've watched still didn't even get it Laughing
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 24585
Join date : 2012-06-28
Age : 31

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Freeza Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:32 pm

ES wrote:The lovey dovey stuff from Hatheway i agree on, but on exposition, i think its alright considering the premise of Interstellar (science heavy). Most of the people i know who've watched still didn't even get it Laughing


That's my problem with it though. I don't necesarrily think you have to be taught science in a film like that. You have to experience it.

In Sunshine and The Martian as examples. They talked to eachother like they were smart and knew what they were talking about. The Science didn't have to be exact, because, who really cares. I understood everything about the plot of Interstellar, I didn't care about the science. If the characters know and act like they know the science, I will accept it.
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 23461
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Glory Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:53 pm

Check this link out. This was the way Interstellar was supposed to be made at first and should have been made.

Interstellar: 15 Huge Differences From the Steven Spielberg-Developed Script to Christopher Nolan’s Movie

Totally agree with Freeza. Nolan's version was too science heavy and in a way even pretentious a little. Its a huge irony because the very reason why he changed the script was because he wanted it to be more emotive and universal. Hence came the constant love theme. The father-daughter one especially which was even the core of the final film.
In SS's version Murph wasnt even a girl to start with.. Lol Cooper had 2 boys in that.

Nolan's words -
was talking to Jonah [Nolan] about the script he was working on with Steven Spielberg at the time. We’d bounce ideas off each other and it sounded incredibly exciting … I had the advantage of coming onto the project late and being able to look at what these guys [Jonah Nolan and Kip Thorne] had done. A lot of my contribution was ripping things out, because they put in more of these incredible mind blowing ideas that, I felt, I could absorb as an audience member. So I spent my time and my work on the script choosing the more emotive and tactile of these ideas to grab ahold of. … [Jonah] got very busy doing other things so I said, ‘Hey can I take this and combine it with some other ideas I’ve been working on’ — it was a bit more like him going ‘okay, take a shot, we’ll see what you do.’ So I showed him what I had done and he seemed reasonably happy with it.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6328
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Lucifer Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:13 pm

Interstellar has caused more fights among my mates than any girl ever could Razz

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 8409
Join date : 2015-06-16
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Glory Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:32 pm

Lol yea almost all his films divides opinions and are a source for some pretty hardcore debating these days.

Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6328
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Freeza Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:34 pm

Only heard that about his two last, because they disappointed generally. Everything else was pretty much universally loved. Just look how The Dark Knight completely altered the imdb 250 Laughing
Freeza
Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 23461
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 30

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Lucifer Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:51 pm

Basically all Nolan films are complicated take eg. Memento. Even dark knight triology more so the second one is also quite complicated with various subplots revealing gradually. The thing with interstellar is it contains concept which barely few can identify with without using Google.

Lucifer
The Last Cat Hater.

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 8409
Join date : 2015-06-16
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Glory Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:52 pm

Inception was subjected to intense debating as well, with the difference being there the haters or the critics didnt have much clue on what they were talking about. lol
They were somehow convinced the film was flawed and was going full throttle at it and Nolan.


Glory
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United
Posts : 6328
Join date : 2013-07-18
Age : 34

Back to top Go down

The Movie House - Part 5 - Page 30 Empty Re: The Movie House - Part 5

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum