El Gunner
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Art Morte
Tomwin Lannister
BarrileteCosmico
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC's Top Gear Empty Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC's Top Gear

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:12 pm

Investigation findings – Ken MacQuarrie

On 9 March 2015, Jeremy Clarkson reported to BBC management that he had been involved in a physical and verbal incident with Oisin Tymon, the producer of Top Gear, at the Simonstone Hall Hotel, North Yorkshire, whilst working on location. The incident had occurred on 4 March 2015 and Jeremy Clarkson was suspended on 10 March, pending investigation.

I was asked to undertake an investigation to establish the facts of what occurred. In conducting my investigation, in line with the BBC’s usual practice, I interviewed a number of witnesses and others connected with the incident. Accounts were agreed, based on my interviews, with each participant.

Having conducted these interviews and considered the evidence presented, I conclude the following: on 4 March 2015 Oisin Tymon was subject to an unprovoked physical and verbal attack by Jeremy Clarkson. During the physical attack Oisin Tymon was struck, resulting in swelling and bleeding to his lip. The verbal abuse was sustained over a longer period, both at the time of the physical attack and subsequently.

Specific facts I have found as part of my investigation are as follows:

• earlier on 4 March, studio recording of Top Gear had taken place in Surrey and the presenters had travelled that same evening to the location shoot in North Yorkshire;

• the incident occurred on a patio area of the Simonstone Hall Hotel, where Oisin Tymon was working on location for Top Gear;

• the physical attack lasted around 30 seconds and was halted by the intervention of a witness;

• it is the case that Oisin Tymon offered no retaliation;

• the verbal abuse was directed at Oisin Tymon on more than one occasion – both during the attack and subsequently inside the hotel – and contained the strongest expletives and threats to sack him. The abuse was at such volume as to be heard in the dining room, and the shouting was audible in a hotel bedroom;

• derogatory and abusive language, relating to Oisin Tymon and other members of the Top Gear team, continued to be used by Jeremy Clarkson inside the hotel, in the presence of others, for a sustained period of time;

• it is clear that Oisin Tymon was shocked and distressed by the incident, and believed that he had lost his job;

• following the attack, I understand that Oisin Tymon drove to a nearby A&E department for examination;

• over the subsequent days, Jeremy Clarkson made a number of attempts to apologise to Oisin Tymon by way of text, email and in person; and

• it is the case that Jeremy Clarkson reported the incident to BBC management.

It was not disputed by Jeremy Clarkson or any witness that Oisin Tymon was the victim of an unprovoked physical and verbal attack. It is also clear to me that Oisin Tymon is an important creative member of the Top Gear team who is well-valued and respected. He has suffered significant personal distress as a result of this incident, through no fault of his own.

It is with great regret that I have told Jeremy Clarkson today that the BBC will not be renewing his contract. It is not a decision I have taken lightly. I have done so only after a very careful consideration of the facts and after personally meeting both Jeremy and Oisin Tymon.

I am grateful to Ken MacQuarrie for the thorough way he has conducted an investigation of the incident on 4th March. Given the obvious and very genuine public interest in this I am publishing the findings of his report. I take no pleasure in doing so. I am only making them public so people can better understand the background. I know how popular the programme is and I also know that this decision will divide opinion. The main facts are not disputed by those involved.

I want to make three points.

First – The BBC is a broad church. Our strength in many ways lies in that diversity. We need distinctive and different voices but they cannot come at any price. Common to all at the BBC have to be standards of decency and respect. I cannot condone what has happened on this occasion. A member of staff – who is a completely innocent party – took himself to Accident and Emergency after a physical altercation accompanied by sustained and prolonged verbal abuse of an extreme nature. For me a line has been crossed. There cannot be one rule for one and one rule for another dictated by either rank, or public relations and commercial considerations.

Second – This has obviously been difficult for everyone involved but in particular for Oisin. I want to make clear that no blame attaches to him for this incident. He has behaved with huge integrity throughout. As a senior producer at the BBC he will continue to have an important role within the organisation in the future.

Third – Obviously none of us wanted to find ourselves in this position. This decision should in no way detract from the extraordinary contribution that Jeremy Clarkson has made to the BBC. I have always personally been a great fan of his work and Top Gear. Jeremy is a huge talent. He may be leaving the BBC but I am sure he will continue to entertain, challenge and amuse audiences for many years to come.

The BBC must now look to renew Top Gear for 2016. This will be a big challenge and there is no point in pretending otherwise. I have asked Kim Shillinglaw to look at how best we might take this forward over the coming months. I have also asked her to look at how we put out the last programmes in the current series.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC's Top Gear Empty Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC's Top Gear

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:14 pm

Hope the 3 of them just reunite on a new show. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for them to find suitors for a new Top Gear. Think of the views they already get, and then add a fair few % on to that after all this controversy and the fact it's dominated the media.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC's Top Gear Empty Re: Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC's Top Gear

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:19 pm

It's a huge shame that this great show - at least in its current Clarkson-Hammond-May format - ends like this. The show has grown to a legendary status and would have deserved a proper send-off with the trio of presenters some time in the future. Now I don't think I can re-watch an episode of Top Gear without some of the experience being ruined by this sad end to the show.

I'm not sure would I prefer Hammond and May continue doing it with a new presenter or not. But it will never be the same. These three had amazing chemistry between themselves and it's nearly impossible to imagine it being matched by any set of new presenters.

@Tomwin Lannister wrote:Hope the 3 of them just reunite on a new show.

Yes and no. Depends on the quality. Top Gear had / has great production team and resources at its disposal. If such a new show had Clarkson, Hammond and May, but the rest of the show wasn't quite as good as Top Gear - which would be hard to match -, it would feel like a disappointment.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:35 pm

Reckon if somebody like SKY picked it up, it would be fine. Plus i'm sure after all this time the likes of Jeremy would know exactly what needed to be done

Only thing that would maybe be hard to replicate is the GOAT camera work that Top Gear has. Years of experience for that exact show and all.

I'd imagine the rest would be easy enough.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Seeing grown men cry about this crap show has been hilarious today rofl

@Tomwin Lannister wrote:Reckon if somebody like SKY picked it up, it would be fine.

The same sky who sacked Richard Keys and Andy Gray for saying " would you smash it? yeah you'd smash it".

Like that's happening lolz.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:02 pm

Well nobody is going to say he is a dickhead for attacking someone?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:04 pm

Everyone know Clarkson is a dickhead though, he's just a beloved dickhead.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:05 pm

@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Seeing grown men cry about this crap show has been hilarious today rofl

@Tomwin Lannister wrote:Reckon if somebody like SKY picked it up, it would be fine.

The same sky who sacked Richard Keys and Andy Gray for saying " would you smash it? yeah you'd smash it".

Keys and Gray weren't attracting ridiculous amounts of viewers though, they were just experienced pundits that spoke during piss breaks before, during and after games
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:06 pm

@Tomwin Lannister wrote:
@Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Seeing grown men cry about this crap show has been hilarious today rofl

Keys and Gray weren't attracting ridiculous amounts of viewers though, they were just experienced pundits that spoke during piss breaks before, during and after games

I dunno about that, i'd be surprised if the viewership didn't drop after their sacking. Especially for the post game stuff.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:08 pm

I have no idea what the heck Top Gear is or who this guy is.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Maybe a bit but they were basically the equivalent of a WWE pay per view pre-show panel in the grand scheme of things.

More important you are, more leeway you'll get. I'd imagine a Top Gear reboot would be absolutely huge for whoever got it. Especially after all this media exposure.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:09 pm

Don't call me James wrote:I have no idea what the heck Top Gear is or who this guy is.

Sweet Jesus i've heard it all now.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:11 pm

Fair enough Tom, overriding point though was that Sky hate controversy lol. They won't go nowhere anyone with any type of controversy surrounding them.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:16 pm

Pure comedy McEggz.
Best comedy, banter, satirical tv series ever to be made. And 22 seasons of it.
You should check it out, will be worth it.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:19 pm

I still don't get it, what is the show about? Is it a reality show about cars? Is it a sitcom? Is it a game show? Car auction show? What is it?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:32 pm

Did you watch Breaking Bad?

Well, yeah. It's nothing like that. Hope that's answered your question, please feel free to + rep me.

Spoiler:
Car show, with a lot of banter involved. They also do special challenges/journeys and DIY shit which leads to more banter
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:38 pm

I can't imagine their show would work on a channel financed by advertising. As soon as they said X car was shit the company that made it would complain and threaten to no longer purchase ad time in that company. As such I can only see it working out on HBO or one of the streaming sites.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:57 pm

The big UK broadcasters, like Sky and Channel 4, have already come out and said they're not offering Clarkson anything.

He's still scheduled to host Have I Got News For You... which is a BBC program. We'll see whether that happens or not, probably not.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Don't call me James wrote:I have no idea what the heck Top Gear is or who this guy is.

I watched the American version of Top Gear a few times and it just plain sucks so i understand that you guys have no clue about this show but the UK one with Clark-May-Hammond is great and i think a Top Gear without Jeremy wouldn't be the same.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:52 pm

@Art Morte wrote:
He's still scheduled to host Have I Got News For You... which is a BBC program. We'll see whether that happens or not, probably not.

Technically he wasn't fired either, he's just not being offered a standard contract renewal. He could still finish this season of Top Gear.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:54 pm

He is lucky to survive this long. Would have been sacked years ago if he wasn't as big as he is.

Known Racist, Homophobic and a history of abuse.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:41 pm

This makes for a pretty interesting read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies

After all that, he gets sacked for doing something wrong in England Laughing
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:37 am

The piece of excrement deserves it.

Never understood the hype for that overrated show too.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by M99 Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:15 pm

Stick to keeping up with kardashians Don't call me Kendall Jenner.

While Clarkson is a dick Top Gear is one of the best TV shows ever done.
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:57 pm

Jeremy Clarkson fired from BBC's Top Gear 1597152238
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum