Do you chat online during the match?

+8
fatman123
Kick
M99
RealGunner
Onyx
McAgger
rwo power
jugster
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you chat online during a match?

Do you chat online during the match? Vote_lcap20%Do you chat online during the match? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Do you chat online during the match? Vote_lcap10%Do you chat online during the match? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Do you chat online during the match? Vote_lcap40%Do you chat online during the match? Vote_rcap 40% 
[ 4 ]
Do you chat online during the match? Vote_lcap20%Do you chat online during the match? Vote_rcap 20% 
[ 2 ]
Do you chat online during the match? Vote_lcap10%Do you chat online during the match? Vote_rcap 10% 
[ 1 ]
Do you chat online during the match? Vote_lcap0%Do you chat online during the match? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
 
Total Votes : 10
 
Poll closed

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:02 am

Hi guys,

I'm hoping I can get your inputs on some questions I have. I'm developing a sports match chat application, and I wanted to ask:-

a) Do you chat online during a match?
b) If you do, when you're with friends in the same room, are you chatting with other friends or fans (whom you haven't met)?
c) What are the best match chat sites or applications you've encountered, and what do you like about them?


Jug

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by rwo power Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:02 am

With me it depends. If I'm watching and have dinner or other food or if I'm working at the same time, then I can't spare the keyboard for chatting. If I chat during a match, then only here on the forum.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:12 am

@rwo power wrote:With me it depends. If I'm watching and have dinner or other food or if I'm working at the same time, then I can't spare the keyboard for chatting. If I chat during a match, then only here on the forum.


Thanks rwo power. And your motivations - do you wanna share? or perhaps just discuss a move that just happens? Why do you chat? Does it give you a chance to test your knowledge against others?

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by rwo power Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:57 am

Well, as I'm a mod it is often to help out moderate the chat as the guys appear to be somewhat politer when I'm around Very Happy

Otherwise it is often to vent about the not so clever moves of players or their unability to find the net and of course to praise good saves by the goalies, too ^^
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sat Oct 11, 2014 3:02 am

@rwo power wrote:Well, as I'm a mod it is often to help out moderate the chat as the guys appear to be somewhat politer when I'm around Very Happy

Otherwise it is often to vent about the not so clever moves of players or their unability to find the net and of course to praise good saves by the goalies, too ^^


Haha, everyone fears the cops Smile For me, its gotta be people I know. Coz once you've met someone, you understand them better. Otherwise, it seems like there's a lot of scope for misunderstandings..

I'm thinking of creating a system where you can actually show small clips of the moves - goalies saves or bad moves - as they're happening.. so others can see exactly what you mean.. in real-time or near real-time.

What do you think?

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by rwo power Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:39 am

@jugster wrote:For me, its gotta be people I know. Coz once you've met someone, you understand them better. Otherwise, it seems like there's a lot of scope for misunderstandings..

Well, one can have misunderstandings with friends, too. As long as one formulates a statement properly, things should be fine, IMO, even if you don't know the people in the beginning.

@jugster wrote:I'm thinking of creating a system where you can actually show small clips of the moves - goalies saves or bad moves - as they're happening.. so others can see exactly what you mean.. in real-time or near real-time.
What do you think?

What kinds of clips? mp4, aniGIFs or something else? And how so - directly in a chat? After all, you can post links to scenes in a chat already.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:46 am

What kinds of clips? mp4, aniGIFs or something else? And how so - directly in a chat? After all, you can post links to scenes in a chat already.


short 30sec mp4 videos.. You can indeed post links into chat, but making the clip or finding the clip is inconvenient.. with the system I have in mind, as you're watching the game you can ask for clips to be made of your favorite moments.. to do that today, you have to be recording the game on your PC, and try to make extract a clip out of it.. but you're also missing the game. with what I have in mind, you won't miss the game, you can continue chatting or watching as the clip is being made and a few seconds later its available.

I thought a system like that would be useful for fans to review plays and comment on it, while watching them.. less ambiguity more clarity.

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by McAgger Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:11 am

I NEVER EVER chat online when my team is playing.

When I'm watching any other team I do it almost always.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina
Posts : 28266
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 104

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by rwo power Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:22 am

@jugster wrote:short 30sec mp4 videos.. You can indeed post links into chat, but making the clip or finding the clip is inconvenient.. with the system I have in mind, as you're watching the game you can ask for clips to be made of your favorite moments..  to do that today, you have to be recording the game on your PC, and try to make extract a clip out of it.. but you're also missing the game. with what I have in mind, you won't miss the game, you can continue chatting or watching as the clip is being made and a few seconds later its available.

I thought a system like that would be useful for fans to review plays and comment on it, while watching them.. less ambiguity more clarity.
Sounds interesting, although I wonder how you can do that.. Do you have access to all matches that are played during a particular time?

For example as this is an international site here, people often watch several different leagues simultaneously, so it isn't as if people only watch one match that they are talking about.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko
Posts : 20978
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by Onyx Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:50 pm

Yeh, I never do anything when Real Madrid are playing. Need to fully concentrate. I get annoyed even if I miss a single pass. Sometimes I'm so obsessively glued to the match, I feel as if I didn't digest certain parts of a match and I get tempted to download the match, in order to rewatch those certain bits.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid
Posts : 40097
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by RealGunner Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:02 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Yeh, I never do anything when Real Madrid are playing. Need to fully concentrate. I get annoyed even if I miss a single pass. Sometimes I'm so obsessively glued to the match, I feel as if I didn't digest certain parts of a match and I get tempted to download the match, in order to rewatch those certain bits.


Same

Missed a throw-in once when I saw the stats of Arsenal-Galatasaray where it said there were 26 throw ins but i only counted 25. Watched it again to make sure I didn't miss it.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 89084
Join date : 2011-06-05

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by M99 Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:11 pm

@RealGunner wrote:
Yohan Modric wrote:Yeh, I never do anything when Real Madrid are playing. Need to fully concentrate. I get annoyed even if I miss a single pass. Sometimes I'm so obsessively glued to the match, I feel as if I didn't digest certain parts of a match and I get tempted to download the match, in order to rewatch those certain bits.


Same

Missed a throw-in once when I saw the stats of Arsenal-Galatasaray where it said there were 26 throw ins but i only counted 25. Watched it again to make sure I didn't miss it.



rofl
M99
M99
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : AC Milan
Posts : 30048
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 98

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:16 pm

Sounds interesting, although I wonder how you can do that.. Do you have access to all matches that are played during a particular time?

For example as this is an international site here, people often watch several different leagues simultaneously, so it isn't as if people only watch one match that they are talking about.


Say if one person is watching the Arsenal game, then he just points the camera in his cellphone or his tablet/computer to the TV set, and continues watching the game.  An app/software can serve short bits of clips upon request.

You can restrict the number of clips per game or you can say, only this list of people can request etc..

That way, anyone watching any game can sort of volunteer to do that for friends or fellow fans.. Next game someone else can take over.

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:20 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:Yeh, I never do anything when Real Madrid are playing. Need to fully concentrate. I get annoyed even if I miss a single pass. Sometimes I'm so obsessively glued to the match, I feel as if I didn't digest certain parts of a match and I get tempted to download the match, in order to rewatch those certain bits.


Yea, I have a friend who does that.  He'll order food at the restaurant we're watching, but he won't eat it in case he misses anything.  So the food will get cold, and he'll eat it after the game.

And yes, he's happy to chat with others when its not his team Smile

When you are chatting, is it with friends.. just hanging with them?


Last edited by jugster on Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:26 pm

Don't call me James wrote:I NEVER EVER chat online when my team is playing.

When I'm watching any other team I do it almost always.


Thanks. When you're watching another team, are you chatting with fans of that team? Is it because they're your friends and you're just hanging out with them?

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by Kick Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:33 am

When my team plays, I do not chat, it distracts me from the game.

I do on occasions when I am not watching my team.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea
Posts : 34814
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by fatman123 Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:47 am

Depends on what sport im watching tbh (i get around).

If im watching Chelsea play then its after midnight which means there are a lot less people awake for me to chat to (plus i have less freinds that follow football), so its less likely, but if i do then its pretty much always via SMS

If im watching rugby league then its at a normal time and im more likely to be chatting to someone in the same room as me about the game
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians
Posts : 9615
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:02 am

@Kick wrote:When my team plays, I do not chat, it distracts me from the game.

I do on occasions when I am not watching my team.


Thanks. Have you picked up the phone to speak with someone throughout the game? For e.g. a fellow fan of your team, who happens to be in another town..

If not, why not?

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:06 am

@fatman123 wrote:Depends on what sport im watching tbh (i get around).

If im watching Chelsea play then its after midnight which means there are a lot less people awake for me to chat to (plus i have less freinds that follow football), so its less likely, but if i do then its pretty much always via SMS

If im watching rugby league then its at a normal time and im more likely to be chatting to someone in the same room as me about the game


Yea, I've often wondered what it would take to recreate that atmosphere online. In person, when we are in the same room, we can see each other, get an instant reaction etc.. We can shout & rant about players.. With text chat, its not that instantaneous.. and your eyes have to move away from the TV.

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by fatman123 Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:55 am

@jugster wrote:
@fatman123 wrote:Depends on what sport im watching tbh (i get around).

If im watching Chelsea play then its after midnight which means there are a lot less people awake for me to chat to (plus i have less freinds that follow football), so its less likely, but if i do then its pretty much always via SMS

If im watching rugby league then its at a normal time and im more likely to be chatting to someone in the same room as me about the game


Yea, I've often wondered what it would take to recreate that atmosphere online. In person, when we are in the same room, we can see each other, get an instant reaction etc.. We can shout & rant about players.. With text chat, its not that instantaneous.. and your eyes have to move away from the TV.


Yeah thats the main issue, if im texting someone i try to wait for a slow down in play. Sometimes though its sending those text messages that stops me from falling asleep all together Laughing
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians
Posts : 9615
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 27

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by jugster Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:59 am

Yeah thats the main issue, if im texting someone i try to wait for a slow down in play. Sometimes though its sending those text messages that stops me from falling asleep all together Laughing

:)Yea, I think people only text when a move is finished or the ball goes out of play.  I quickly text, and then I'm back with the game.

jugster
Prospect
Prospect

Posts : 86
Join date : 2013-12-25

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by El Gunner Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:28 pm

When Arsenal play I rarely do, unless we are playing bad then I go and vent on twitter.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal
Posts : 19649
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 24

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:34 pm

depends, if we're winning, I come to brag. or when we score and I'm home..yes. But whenever we're losing or concede, I log off.

If I'm watching at a pub, then of course not.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid
Posts : 5155
Join date : 2012-12-06

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by Kick Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:28 pm

@jugster wrote:
@Kick wrote:When my team plays, I do not chat, it distracts me from the game.

I do on occasions when I am not watching my team.


Thanks. Have you picked up the phone to speak with someone throughout the game? For e.g. a fellow fan of your team, who happens to be in another town..

If not, why not?

Not as it's normally late at night (in Australia)
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea
Posts : 34814
Join date : 2011-06-06
Age : 28

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by Tomwin Lannister Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:22 am

Yes I Sext others on GL chat when Juve is on but not on tv.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus
Posts : 26891
Join date : 2011-06-05
Age : 81

Back to top Go down

Do you chat online during the match? Empty Re: Do you chat online during the match?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum