Eman
Raptorgunner
djoe26
Sina
VendettaRed07
41 posters

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico - Page 5 Empty Re: Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico

Post by Raptorgunner Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:44 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:Watching Welbeck against Norway was the first time I saw an Arsenal striker turn and carry the ball forwards with pace in a long time. Think Adebayor was the last striker we had who could do that.

Proud

Looks like Welbeck may start against Switzerland, hope to see more of him going forward.

Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico - Page 5 Empty Re: Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico

Post by Sina Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:52 pm

and ultimate comp

Danny Welbeck - Welcome to Arsenal:

Barney Ronay on Welbz
http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/sep/02/arsenal-danny-welbeck-manchester-united

Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:56 pm

"Naturally, I was sad, as a United fan, to see Welbeck leave this week," Scholes said.

"My feeling was that if he could have got through this transfer window and stayed at the club he could have been a part of United's future over the next few years."

"It shows how highly regarded Danny is that a club as big as Arsenal signed him. He will be a good signing for Arsène Wenger," he told The Independent.

"Danny will never be a 20-25 goals-a-season man but he could get Arsenal 10 to 15."

Without going overboard about his potential, I feel it's premature of Scholes to say Welbeck could never become a 20+ goals striker. I think he could, especially all comps. Very difficult to score 20+ consistently for anyone.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:56 pm

Promising...

Danny Welbeck - Gunner Galactico - Page 5 10511275_713780282028886_7385969117189519290_n
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:03 pm

A lot of stuff regarding Welbeck is hope tbh. People are tired of seeing Sanogo and they are tired of Giroud's limited displays. So people are really hoping Welbeck is better than what we all saw him at United. Something like another Sturridge or so.

It's not bad to hope, but it would be wise to see him play first for a bit. Because putting too much hope on someone who has played 0 minute of football at Arsenal is a bit premature.
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:04 pm

Anyone finds it weird Arsene has said absolutely nothing on welbeck?
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:27 pm

Welbeck is going to score four against Man City.

Arsene knows that will be all the introduction dat guy needs.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:42 pm

Welbeck is miles better than Sanogo and Giroud though. It's not even a contest between those two and him.

And Scholes is a bellend. He'll get 20 easily this season because of the team he's playing on.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Arsenalfaithfull Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:15 pm

Giroud ...sure he aint Van freakin Basten , but he is highly underrated in goal legacy. Our attack looks dull without him. We won our first trophy in 9 years because of his backheel. Is cavani worth paying extra 20 + million and shipping Giroud off? Not in my opinion. Much rather we spend that money on getting a proper DM and CB.

I think Giroud will go on to score 100+ goals for Arsenal when he retires. I am glad wenger rates him.

PS: That said, I do recognize that we need a goal scorer. But do remember that we played an entire season without Walcott who are the only player who gave us the dimension of pace last year. Now we have Welbeck, Sanchez AND Walcott. Its not ALL doom and gloom boys.
Arsenalfaithfull
Arsenalfaithfull
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:33 pm

It's pretty funny, I bet if someone wanted to waste an afternoon they could trudge through GL comments from the past year or two. Whenever Giroud went through his good patches of form (e.g. beginning of last season) you'd see a lot of people talk about how crucial he is and how he's good enough to lead the line. Then when his form drops people will write scathing stuff about how he's the worst striker in the league, how he doesn't deserve to even play in the top flight, etc.

(The truth IMO - that he's a decent player who would, in an ideal world, be a solid Plan B for a club of Arsenal's stature - is too obvious & moderate for widespread internet recognition.)

Similar fluctuations have happened with Sanogo.

Realistically I expect that more or less the same will happen for Welbeck. I'm excited by the fact that he offers pace & dribbling as well as size & hold-up play and it will be fantastic if he jumps into beast mode suddenly for Arsenal. But more likely he'll perform fairly well, get some deserved plaudits for a month or two, then dip in form for some weeks and the vultures will attack at that point and say that they knew he was "never good enough," etc. Or maybe it'll happen in reverse order. But same idea. It'll be a little rollercoaster all season long.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:22 pm

RealGunner wrote:Anyone finds it weird Arsene has said absolutely nothing on welbeck?

I was wondering the same also, been looking all over the net for any comment regards Welbeck signing.

Is due to international games or Wenger is not happy about being forced to sign him? Laughing

I am sure Giroud and Sanogol had talks with Wenger signing an English player over the French players. eco smile
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:32 pm

RealGunner wrote:A lot of stuff regarding Welbeck is hope tbh. People are tired of seeing Sanogo and they are tired of Giroud's limited displays. So people are really hoping Welbeck is better than what we all saw him at United. Something like another Sturridge or so.

It's not bad to hope, but it would be wise to see him play first for a bit. Because putting too much hope on someone who has played 0 minute of football at Arsenal is a bit premature.

I believe it's not unrealistic to hope that he will be atleast as good as he was at Man Utd, then at that level he's already better than Giroud which will be fine with most Arsenal fans for this season. It can't go worse than what we have really. He's quality though, will be class with us.

Last edited by urbaNRoots on Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:33 pm

Feel like last couple of pages were a bit reassurance posts from Arsenal fans to justify Danny arrival. I personally don't like him, that's being said I do see him being a fit to our system unlike Balo, and warming up to the idea of playing him up front.

People already talked about 20 goals a season etc when he never get nowhere near that number, keep in mind Giroud did so for Montpellier prior coming to us. I like Scholes opinion, we have Sanchez and Giroud, and if Danny could put in another 12-15 goals, that's healthy number spreading out the whole font line.

I just hope we don't all go bananas if Welbeck doesn't score in his 1st few games Very Happy I know I'm prone to that myself.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:48 pm

Wasn't saying Welbeck will score anywhere near 20 in his first season but that I was surprised that Scholes would say he could never reach that number when even Giroud got 22 last season.

But the numbers are encouraging. When he played up front for United he performed. I have hope that he'll do similarly with us.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:56 pm

Welbecks arrival means more goals…we are still work in progress.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:39 am

We haven't heard anything from Wenger since deadline day, being away at that coaching convention or w.e

Probably giving us time to calm down before he explains that there were absolutely no defenders or defensive midfielders available therefore welcome to Arsenal, Mario Yepes.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:57 pm

Rio Ferdinand:

He added: "I cannot believe United let him go, especially to Arsenal. That seems mad to me. He's a real threat to defenders and, if Arsenal use him right, he will be very dangerous for them.

"Danny has everything to be a top player. English football has yet to see what he can really do because he hasn't been getting a run of games.

"I think he felt frustrated at United because, even if he did well, Robin van Persie and Wayne Rooney would be ahead of him. At Arsenal, he will be the main man and I have no doubt he will flourish.

"Imagine the pace Arsenal will have when everyone is fit. There will be Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain with three fliers in front of him in Theo Walcott, Alexis Sanchez and Danny.

"I'm telling you, they would give Usain Bolt's Jamaican 4x100m team a run for their money."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/508032/Man-United-legend-bemoans-end-of-a-fairytale-with-Arsenal-capture-of-Danny-Welbeck
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Naveen at 7amkickoff has an interesting spin on going for Welbeck vs Falcao, and buying attackers in their prime, etc.

http://www.7amkickoff.com/2014/sanchez-and-welbeck-buying-assets-at-the-right-time/

Basically, he's arguing that Utd getting Welbeck is a view to the long term, that it's not the kind of signing that will win us the league this year, but it will (or should) be the kind of player who will help strengthen our squad, starting now, and then continuing for years, until the decision may come to sell him off and still get a return on the investment. Because Arsenal are rich but not rich enough and not short-term-desperate enough to make a habit of buying 28-year-old superstars who are at the end of their prime.

(Whereas United's hoped-for return on the Falcao investment is basically to get back into the CL: they feel they have to go for broke, asap.)
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:27 pm

Arsenalfaithfull wrote:Giroud ...sure he aint Van freakin Basten , but he is highly underrated in goal legacy. Our attack looks dull without him. We won our first trophy in 9 years because of his backheel. Is cavani worth paying extra 20 + million and shipping Giroud off? Not in my opinion. Much rather we spend that money on getting a proper DM and CB.

I think Giroud will go on to score 100+ goals for Arsenal when he retires. I am glad wenger rates him.

PS: That said, I do recognize that we need a goal scorer. But do remember that we played an entire season without Walcott who are the only player who gave us the dimension of pace last year. Now we have Welbeck, Sanchez AND Walcott. Its not ALL doom and gloom boys.

Do our attacks look dull without him?
Or are they just that much worse when he is not there.
The oddity at Arsenal with Giroud has been games that it looked easy to score against anyone. With the few games that we have had, and it did seem as though we could score at will it is always someone else that was felt would score.

http://www.footballfancast.com/premiership/arsenal/an-accident-waiting-to-happen-at-arsenal

I think the last paragraph actually states what many Gooners think. With others every signing is like getting a sack of lemons. They might be lemons but they will turn into the best lemonade in the world.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Sep 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Unfair to cite the Sturridge comparisons then quote his goal return at United. Compare how he's done up front to how he's done on the wing. That would be more interesting.

Also a bit premature to call Alexis a 'square peg in a round hole' up front, same with Theo. Both are versatile enough to lead the line. Not throughout the entire season but they are definitely capable options.

Also, since when did Balotelli and Sturridge become such a fearsome duo that we should be ruing 'only' having Giroud and Welbeck by comparison? What about Sanchez? Sturridge is the 2nd best striker in the league imo, I wanted Balotelli, I do admit, but he's yet to prove himself as worthy of his price tag at any big club.

Disappointed that the article chose to complain about our shortcomings in the market searching for a striker. Really would have made more sense to address our failure to sign a CB or DM. Don't think ST is as crucial to how we do this season by comparison.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:32 pm

MJ wrote:

Disappointed that the article chose to complain about our shortcomings in the market searching for a striker. Really would have made more sense to address our failure to sign a CB or DM. Don't think ST is as crucial to how we do this season by comparison.

Although I agree that we needed a CB and a DM. I think part of the reason why people skip over that is do to us having more clean sheets than anyone else in the league last year. Our defense could not have been that bad. On the other side of the pitch If we could have scored another 30 or so goals putting us close to the top in scoring things might have been a little different.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:06 pm

We had a great year defensively bar 3 matches, but we needed to replace Vermaelen, we haven't done so. DM is still a position we haven't had a natural defensive mid in for probably 5-6 seasons.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:50 pm

Actually Chambers replaced Vermaelen while Arteta/Flamini ARE natural defensive midfielders. Numbers wise as Wenger would say, we're the same as last season defensively but we added in attack which was very much welcome and much more needed in my opinion.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:51 pm

Seven pages for Welbeck before he's played a game for Arsenal, damn Proud
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:52 pm

lol 30 after when he either misses a tap in against City or scores the winner
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:55 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Actually Chambers replaced Vermaelen while Arteta/Flamini ARE natural defensive midfielders. Numbers wise as Wenger would say, we're the same as last season defensively but we added in attack which was very much welcome and much more needed in my opinion.

Losing Sagna, a RB/CB and replacing him with a RB means we're one short in a way.

Last season we could start Per-Kos or Bac-Verm

Now it's Per-Kos or Cham-Monreal

lol, that's not very adequate replacing. I really like Chambers and I think we've got a special player on our hands but at 19 we're losing a lot of experience from Vermaelen. We're stretched thin for a 50 game season.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next