Sri
RealGunner
Jay29
MJ
Chumlum
51 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by MJ Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:36 pm

Going by Wenger's comments on wanting versatility, the rumor that we'll sign a DM capable of covering CB could become reality. I especially think it's plausible if we don't send Bellerin out on loan.

RB: Bellerin, Debuchy (Chambers capable)
CB: Kos, Per, Chambers (New DM capable, Monreal capable)
LB: Gibbs, Monreal

Let's hope it's this guy
Spoiler:

and not this guy

Spoiler:

MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread - Page 20 Empty Re: The Official Summer Transfer Rumours Thread

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:44 pm

We better sign a new CB soon, surely Wenger has worked on this as he confirmed that Vermaelen was told he could leave right after the season ended.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:37 pm

could Yanga Mbiwa be an option if Pardeux doesnt want him hmm
not bad a 3rd choice
take Coquelin as a part of deal :coffee:
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:46 pm

No.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Apparently Kos picked up a knock.. We could only have Chambers as a CB option against Palace... eek.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:53 pm

Younga Mbia isn't good enough anyways
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:03 pm

If Koscielny misses the Palace game, I'm pretty sure we'll bring back Mertesacker earlier than planned. Not ideal but even an unfit Mert is better than Miquel or Hayden, especially against a side that'll look to exploit set-pieces.

This does highlight the importance of having that fourth option at centre back. No matter how well Chambers has done, he is still young, and all it takes is for an injury to Mert and a suspension to Kos to be left with U21 players at the back.

Wenger did say that he would replace Vermaelen a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully he still will.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 pm

The other alternative is that we make a signing before the week is up..

CaughtOffside are spitting their usual baseless tripe today, with two "Exclusives", claiming we are closing in on 12m Agger and 9m Nani.

I don't buy either rumour, particularly Nani. Why wouldn't united have included him in a swap deal for Verm... sometimes I don't think these journos are even trying.

Agger would be a welcome addition, but it feels to me like a step down if anything, an older and less versatile version of Verm going for nearly the same price we sold him for.

We can dismiss these rumours if you ask me.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:50 am

I still can't think of any CBs who will come in knowing they are going to be 3rd choice, unless we splash on a even better CB to displace one of Per or Laurent. That isn't likely either, since more than individual ability, Per-Laurent have a brilliant partnership and understanding built over the last 18 months.

That leaves us in a rather sticky situation. We are short at the back. Arsene knows this. I hope he does something about it.

It would have been a lot easier to buy a CB before selling Vermaelen, but ah well.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

There are plenty quality CB's who would come to be third choice here, I mean if Ospina comes in knowing he'll have to fight for ONE place, I'm sure there will be CB's who would fight for one of the two CB spots.

Doesn't have to be absolutely world class but a good quality backup, someone experienced like Fazio who probably would like some higher wages or someone young like Schär who could become first choice in a few years would accept such a role.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:27 am

Schär would be a good signing. Haven't seen any links though.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:42 am

Yeah there are a myriad of options. We would look to Carvalho or another Quality DM who can also fill in at CB OR... a young CB like Nastasic or Laporte.. Who knows Wenger could still opt to go for someone like Varane, although I think its unlikely.

I would love Richards personally. I think we are the club to save him from the shackles of City and I always thought he would shine for us. He would be an ideal signing on so many levels, he can play CB or RB which is good if wenger decides to use Chambers primarily as a CB or DM..

Anyway not going to happen.

But yeah being a 3rd choice CB for Arsenal is pretty appealing to a number of players.. They know they will get 15-20 games at least and can challenge for a starting spot.

Schar is a good shout too.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 am

As good as Nastasic or Micah Richards might be, I don't see City selling to us.

I guess my apprehension stems from the fact that the only links I have seen in the media recently are for Agger. The journos may well know frak all but it's been a bit too eerily quiet.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:52 am

Yeah Aggers more likely. They will get a good price from us and it hardly a signing that would substantially increase our title chances, if we cant get agger we can get someone else who will do the job and Pool will know that.

City may sell Nast for that same reason, but yes they may fear he will turn GOAT because of his age.. They wont sell Richards as they need to hold on to homegrown players.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 am

Wenger said it himself, Barcelona and Man United were after Vermaelen, meaning they scoured the market and decided Vermaelen was the best option.

So we're going to be looking through the available CBs on the market knowing that MUFC and FCB thought Verms was better/more easily available than whoever we find.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:14 am

Daley Blind has gone a bit under the radar but he could be an option if Carvalho is an option. Can play DM, CB and LB.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Peccadillo Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:27 am

MJ wrote:Wenger said it himself, Barcelona and Man United were after Vermaelen, meaning they scoured the market and decided Vermaelen was the best option.

So we're going to be looking through the available CBs on the market knowing that MUFC and FCB thought Verms was better/more easily available than whoever we find.

Yeah know what you mean. Which is why I think even Agger isn't likely.. seems counter productive if we get rid of Verm and replace him with Agger for around the same price.

More likely we sign a younger CB or someone cheap that's strictly 3rd/4th choice like Vlaar. He's just an example - even Vlaar would prob go for about 10m due to the world cup.
Peccadillo
Peccadillo
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:46 am

urbaNRoots wrote:Daley Blind has gone a bit under the radar but he could be an option if Carvalho is an option. Can play DM, CB and LB.

more likely to join utd
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

That's all very good hypotheses, but I am not seeing the links or rumours to even substantiate thinking about all this!

And it's a very good point from MJ - for that price, there aren't (m)any CBs around. Can we afford a 30m CB then? Even if we want to spend that money on a CB, are there any who'd be available at a fair market value?

I like the idea of having somebody young to step up in the coming years. But that is what we have already done with Chambers. Schär or something, but where are the damn links!

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:36 am

Ask and you shall receive.

@MessiMinutes 51s
Some Arsenal news today. @TuttoMercatoWeb claim to have an exclusive: #AFC have bid for Greek CB Kostas Monaloas.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:11 pm

Yup, read that. Also read some more stuff on a bidding war with United for Mats Hummels. Laughing

I am warming up to the idea of Nastasic, as close to purple flying unicorns across a lime green sky with cottoncandy fluffs of clouds and farting rainbows as it may be.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:30 pm

Agger is 4th choice at Liverpool now, so I guess it would be better to be 3rd choice at Arsenal, but it would still be a bit of a pointless move from his perspective.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Chumlum Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:59 pm

The way I think of CB signings breaks down a lot according to age.

Someone young (but not too young) like Schär or Manolas would be great. They can come in as a rotation player but as long as they impress, there's no reason they can't lay claim to a starting spot in a couple seasons or so.

Another option is, as has been mooted before, a grizzled old PL-experienced guy. Over 30 maybe. Not a world-beater, necessarily, but someone good enough to have made a career out of top flight football. IMO, Lescott could have been a viable option from this perspective.

Isn't another issue that we have 16 non-homegrown players already, and only have room for one more? Arteta, Cazorla, Diaby, Flamini, Giroud, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Monreal, Ozil, Podolski, Rosicky, Debuchy, Ospina, Alexis, Martinez, Campbell. (Am I wrong in counting Damian Martinez this year?)

Whereas if we got two senior signings, at least one would be homegrown, or otherwise Poldi or someone would have to be offloaded.
Chumlum
Chumlum
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:07 pm

The fact we're only allowed one more non-homegrown player could be the reason why we're looking at versatile players who can play in both defence and midfield.

However, if we really do need to offload someone, then we can quite easily loan out Martinez, who's not homegrown yet, and use Macey - an English keeper - as third choice as it's unlikely that both Szczesny and Ospina will end up injured at the same time.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Honestly I think it wouldn't be the est decision to bring in another "versatile" player. Chambers is the defensive X factor. We absolutely 100% need a third cb who's almost exclusively a cb and is by far best when playing there. With Verm gone I think it would be insane not to have at LEAST one full time cb. What if per or kos goes out for 6th months with an injury? Are we really going to play basically the whole season shoehorning a DM or something into that role?
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:13 pm

Arsene wants cover in defence following the sale of Thomas Vermaelen, to Barcelona, with Benedikt Höwedes, Luiz Gustavo and William Carvalho high on his list

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11027181/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-targets-one-more-player-as-season-start-in-confident-mood.html
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next