M99
Firenze
Kaladin
RealGunner
Blue Barrett
13 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone?

Post by Bellabong Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:15 am

El Shaarawy wrote:So, i'm halfway through book 1

Spoiler:

Before you open the spoiler I'll extract this from the tl;dr I posted

Oh, and for those tired of cliches in how magic works in the genre, this is another reason to read. All I will say is that Warrens are - in my humble opinion - the single greatest concept to the idea of magic in the genre in the last decade or two. That is probably going to be scoffed at off the bat, but when other layers of ideas - the Ascendants, the Deck of Dragons, the Tiles of the Holds - it makes the argument much more easy to agree with. Which you'd be right to do so. Doesn't mean I'll tell you what those three concepts are, that would ruin the magic when you read the series.

feel free to open it up if you understand - but it's ok to not "understand" something right away in MBotF - the narratives are ver POV so if the character the current arc is focusing on doesn't understand how something works then you wont either. One of my favorite moments in the books was reading through the "life" story of a character and then making the sudden realization of OH SH**, I'm reading the backstory of X. This guy is a downright badass.

Very simple explanation of Warrens & Ascendants:

I'm on my 3rd read-through (Memories of Ice) and I absolutely love this quote:

We humans do not understand compassion. In each moment of our lives, we betray it. Aye, we know of its worth, yet in knowing we then attach to it a value, we guard the giving of it, believing it must be earned. T'lan Imass. Compassion is priceless in the truest sense of the word. It must be given freely. In abundance.

Last edited by Phritz on Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 2 Empty Re: Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone?

Post by Kaladin Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for clearing that up Phritz Thumbs up

I just finished Gardens of the Moon, and holy cow what a first book :bow:

Spoiler:

Very excited to start Deadhouse Gates
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:31 am

Spoilers ahead

Spoiler:

Also, Dante if you're reading this, when are you gonna start reading the series hmm
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:01 am

El Shaarawy wrote:Spoilers ahead

Spoiler:

Oh man, if you loved Gardens of the Moon you'll love the rest of the series - it's one thing that Erikson is spot on in his foreword. Trust me, Deadhouse Gates wont disappoint you.

As for explaining what's in your spoiler... That would be a spoiler in itself Razz It's the beauty of the series - everything does end up getting explained and not in a hold your hand this and this happened to cause this way; You read through the story arcs and end up figuring it out for yourself without being explicitly told.

If Dante has not been convinced yet I'll just leave an illustration of chapter 1 of Gardens of the Moon here:

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 2 9kmm9y

The series does truly do the Epic in the Epic Fantasy genre justice.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 pm

Spoiler:

Also, Dante if you're reading this, when are you gonna start reading the series hmm

ups , sorry didn't see this earlier ES. Yeah , i cannot for the life of me decide if i should start the books first days of February , in a month from now or so , or if i should wait for good and read it after The Winds of Winder come out. It's a bit weird way to go about it i know , one hand i want to read this monster badly and occupy hours of my time , the other i know i will have a better time for this in the future , in the long wait for the last ASOIAF book.

To be totally honest here. I don't think i can wait Laughing , so there's a good possibility once i am over with The Broken Empire series by Mark Lawrence , i will probably pick the books up . Asked in the bookstore and the first ones are dirt cheap , so i'll be getting them easily whenever i need the next ones. Best series books i buy and i am pretty convinced this will be a series i will be reading again and again , i've always been intrigued by the challenge and the deep story they offer.

It's just that fkn weird idea in my head , telling me there will be a better time for these books , otherwise i would be reading these books by now Laughing
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dante Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:06 am

Phritz wrote:

Spoiler:

Oh man, if you loved Gardens of the Moon you'll love the rest of the series - it's one thing that Erikson is spot on in his foreword. Trust me, Deadhouse Gates wont disappoint you.

As for explaining what's in your spoiler... That would be a spoiler in itself Razz It's the beauty of the series - everything does end up getting explained and not in a hold your hand this and this happened to cause this way; You read through the story arcs and end up figuring it out for yourself without being explicitly told.

If Dante has not been convinced yet I'll just leave an illustration of chapter 1 of Gardens of the Moon here:

Malazan Book of The Fallen, anyone? - Page 2 9kmm9y

The series does truly do the Epic in the Epic Fantasy genre justice.

No i am pretty convinced by now Laughing

It's just what i said earlier , i would like to wait for a more 'appropriate' time to read these particular books , a time i know i could do with such a huge and quality reading , on the other hand i really don't think i am capable of waiting that long.

who wants to wait that long ffs . Maybe by then i couldn't read them , for x reasons , who knows really hmm . Ok , decision taken. By next month i will be reading the first book , i have to finish The Broken Empire first. Of which i totally approve , guys . That dude isn't even an anti-hero , he's straight away villain ffs , it's like reading a badass cocky sarcastic Joffrey who can actually swing a sword , taking the road Laughing And with quite the story to tell.
Dante
Dante
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:15 am

Spoiler:

Still think the same thing? xD
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:00 am

SES if you're looking for discussion; info etc. which tiptoes around spoilers I've seen a lot of people recommend http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen.

It's basically detailed summaries of each chapter and well written reactions by a first time reader and a series veteran (who doesn't spoil but provides his take on Amanda's reaction and his reaction from rereading the series)
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Thanks Phritz! Very Happy

I'm at 70% with the book and i must say, things are certainly getting livelier  Wink
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Deadhouse Gates is a rollercoaster of emotion, especially towards the end. The sense of discovery that accompanies every book and this rollercoaster is what makes this series my favourite. Eriksson is a fink master at writing convergences holy sht. I get to a point and I just can't put the fink thing down.

That you haven't even come across Tehol and Bugg yet O.o

Kruppe and Pust are genious Laughing
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:55 pm

Kruppe is by far my most favorite character :bow:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:59 am

Speechless

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Jan 26, 2015 2:58 pm

Just started MoI, God, i forgot how much i missed Quick Ben, WJ and Paran.

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:58 pm

:bow:
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 pm

El Shaarawy wrote:Speechless

Spoiler:

Molenation

That shift from "Gardens of the Moon is more enticing" to speechless xD

And yes, chronologically MoI takes place at the same time as Deadhouse Gates on Genabackis.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:48 pm

Finished Memories of Ice

Spoiler:
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Firenze Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:08 pm

Molenation

can't believe it's been 4 years since I read that book, seems like a few months ago, don't remember all the little details tbh, could answer a few of your ponderings but it's better if you read on and find out, some of them you'll be waiting ages to find out though Laughing
Firenze
Firenze
the Bloody-Nine

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:04 am

Just bought the whole series. Gonna start reading slowly once I'm done with ADWD.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:22 am

btw it cost me $3.75 per book Proud

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:00 am

Its a tough read in the beginning McAgger, there's literally no exposition to help you understand some of the mythology and higher powers. You have to pick up hints here and there, basically you have to work to like it, but it definitely pays off imo
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:16 pm

Gah I don't like the sound of that. I need to get hooked right away to really get into a series. I'm still going to give it a shot. I do love fantasy genre so the fact that it should pay off later on is a good enough reason I guess.

Do you mean the whole first book is dry? Or just getting used to the authors style, kind of like Tolkien with LOTR?
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:43 am

Well Erikson has a very dense style which can take some getting used to if you're not used to it. While there is, as Erikson puts it, no "exposition that serves no other function than telling the reader about back story, history, or whatever. If my exposition doesn't have multiple functions – and I do mean multiple – then I'm not satisfied." part of the magic of the series is discovering how the Malazan world works through the different perspectives of characters.

You wont know what the f is going on but you will get hooked and find out. The best part is that you will eventually find out the answers to everything.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:48 pm

After watching episode 1 of Season 5 Game of Thrones I got reminded of

GoT S5E1/Deadhouse Gates:
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:53 pm

I can see the similarities Molenation
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Tue May 05, 2015 4:06 pm

Just finished Karsa's arc in HoC

There needs to be a whole movie made up until his he starts traversing the Pan'Potsun
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Sat May 16, 2015 3:48 am

Karsa is a f****** legend.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next