How well would Liverpool have done in CL this season?

+4
Onyx
Arquitecto
RedOranje
El Gunner
8 posters

Go down

How well would Liverpool have done in CL this season? Empty How well would Liverpool have done in CL this season?

Post by El Gunner Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:55 pm

Simple question.

I just don't want this to turn into a thread discussing how Liverpool would not have been where they are now if they played in the Champions League this season. Because then it could get ugly and stir up some unwanted/already existing heat between Liverpool fans and others.
Of course though that thought should be in your mind when answering this question. That the more games would have affected their squad in terms of fatigue and maybe injuries as well, and it would also have affected their performances and maybe results as well in all competitions. But this thread is solely reserved for how they would've faired in the CL.

Start!
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

How well would Liverpool have done in CL this season? Empty Re: How well would Liverpool have done in CL this season?

Post by RedOranje Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:03 pm

Well, assuming that when you say "in the CL" you mean at the group stages or beyond, I think it's fair to say that Liverpool would probably have finished in the bottom 2 of their group and gone out before the knock-out rounds. LFC as a team lack experience in the CL (individual players certainly don't, but together as a squad and the coaching staff they do) due to the club's recent absence from the competition. That recent absence also means that LFC would (and will next season) almost certainly be in pot 3 or 4 for the draw, making it fairly likely that they'd end up in a "group of death" or at least have very strong opponents. Add to that the size and relative youth of the squad, as well as the fact that Liverpool spent the early portions of the season finding their feet (when the group stage was going on, we were still struggling to find what really works for us) and I expect that the club would have struggled to get out of their group.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

How well would Liverpool have done in CL this season? Empty Re: How well would Liverpool have done in CL this season?

Post by Arquitecto Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:11 pm

A question that is very difficult to quantify.

Yet given the beginning of the season we have more tactical holes than *insert something with holes*, we would have been thoroughly dismantled unless receiving one of THOSE groups to which Atletico seem to frequently get.

Other side of the debate is that Liverpool's semantic adhere's very closely to what is needed within the Champions League yet the lack of conviction earlier on in our system along with Rodger's tinkering would not provide the tactical platform to succeed beyond even the group within the CL. Similar to Real Sociedad who struggled to find their identity with a new manager, they like Liverpool found their consistent footing nigh middle-to-end of the season; vastly distorting perceptions of what could have been earlier in the season.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 pm

I guess this thread was made due to Liverpool's good form right now, as opposed to where they were earlier in the season.

Current Liverpool I think would do similar to how Atletico are doing. If they managed to get to the knockout stages and didn't face the big 3, they would have every chance of getting to the semi finals at least.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:41 pm

Yohan Modric wrote:I guess this thread was made due to Liverpool's good form right now, as opposed to where they were earlier in the season.

Current Liverpool I think would do similar to how Atletico are doing. If they managed to get to the knockout stages and didn't face the big 3, they would have every chance of getting to the semi finals at least.
Not necessarily. Well tbf their strong form this year in the league is what inspired me to think about it, but not in a knee-jerk type way which your making it out to be.
It's just a genuine hypothetical question.

And from the replies I've gotten so far, I can see the point being made in that Liverpool weren't that good in the first half of the season as they are now and the inexperience in CL factor as well that Red mentioned, hence I can understand if it is said that they wouldn't have made it out of the group stages.
It wasn't my intention to add more hypothesis to this, but let's say they did make it out of the group stage and into the knock-out stages. How then would they have done?
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:47 pm

Well El Gunner that would solely depend on the draw we would've got.

I think we would have beaten teams like Olympiakos, Zenit, Galatasaray, Milan, United, Leverkusen, Schalke over 2 legs.

But that's as far as it would've gone this season. The inexperience against top teams would've cost us. Bayern, Barca, Madrid, Atleti, Dortmund and to a lesser extent Chelsea and PSG probably would've been too much for us this season.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:09 pm

As far as I know, Liverpool are unbeaten in CL in the last few years.

:coffee: 
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:11 pm

Since most lfc twats have me in ignore list.

I will go ahead and say if Lfc keep the current form and improve defense, who knows, might go as far as semis next season.

But, they have little depth and inconsistent defence to compete in all fronts.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:18 pm

Highburied wrote:Since most lfc twats have me in ignore list.

I will go ahead and say if Lfc keep the current form and improve defense, who knows, might go as far as semis next season.

But, they have little depth and inconsistent defence to compete in all fronts.

So they can see Rolling Eyes
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:34 pm

I think the Champions League has its own rules and requires its own experience. Clubs and teams that are new to it (and Pool's current team is kind of new to it) usually have one or two seasons where they 'underperform' in comparison to how good you'd rate them generally.

Dortmund, City come to mind. Leverkusen is an extreme case of this.
Atletico is the exception proving the rule.

Also a part in this might play that often teams that are new to the CL are also new to its money and its squad depth requirements.
I think next season Liverpool will be able to fulfill their potential in EITHER the league or the CL, not in both.
The smart thing is to focus on the league, to ensure another CL campaign where you can have strenthened/matured.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by nadinkrah Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:12 pm

Giving their lack of depth/experience, they would be very fortunate to make it out of the group stage. Don't forget the other competitions like FA Cup.
nadinkrah
nadinkrah
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down