Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot?

3 posters

Go down

Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot? Empty Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot?

Post by Kick Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:21 pm

So, Matic and Luiz played in the pivot and were one of the main reasons we thrashed Arsenal. It's clear that Cahill-Terry is a better partnership in defence and With Ramires out, and in poor form, Matic needs a partner for the pivot. Lampard is too old to play every week, Mikel is too slow and basically a beta-test version of Matic and MVG is injured. Luiz, on the other hand, is not getting game time at CB, is technically sound, physical and has that special something.

WAGNH wrote:Saturday's match against Arsenal was a devastating reminder of just how effective the Matic-David Luiz partnership can be. Both are highly mobile, physical players with the technique keep the ball and the vision to spark the attack. Matic also possesses the tactical discipline to cover for his sometimes-wayward companion.

WAGNH wrote:Giving David Luiz license to roam in midfield, with a dedicated defensive player backing him up, is producing extraordinary results against top sides, and I can't imagine he'd slow down much against the bottom feeders. Putting him in a position to play like a Yaya Toure or an Arturo Vidal allows him to shine without being overly worried about his more erratic tendencies, and whenever Chelsea have done so they've had amazing results.

With Terry and Cahill overtaking the Brazilian in the centre back hierarchy and the midfield still a little weak despite Matic's addition, it feels very much like the David Luiz-Matic pairing could be the future. Assuming he doesn't get himself in disciplinary trouble as the result of having a freer role, Chelsea might finally have found the place that makes the most of his talents while masking his obvious flaw.

Rest of the Article found here.

They certainly raise some good points, he has all the traits of a good midfielder and with some practice could do well there. Also, if he shines, that is one less position we have to worry about, allowing us to focus on getting Luke Shaw and a CF during the summer.

Thoughts?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot? Empty Re: Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot?

Post by Shed Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:29 pm

I still maintain that Luiz will be sold this summer and besides, all this is irrelevant as there are only 7 games left of the season (plus Euro games) and the club will almost certainly bring in another quality CM this summer as is badly needed, effectively ending any chances he'd have of playing there regularly anyway.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot? Empty Re: Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot?

Post by Kick Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:34 pm

So what you're saying is that despite there is a tad under a quarter of the season remaining, we're going to sell him and buy a CM?

What if he continues there for the rest of the season, performs well and Jose wants to keep him there?
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 pm

Don't know if you're aware but you can't sell & buy players mid-season in any month not called
January Suspect

But yes, I do believe he will be sold because he'll never be a midfield regular (were he, he would surely have convinced José of it before the 31st game of the season...) and as he is clearly not rated at centre-half as owt but a stand-in when one of JT/Gaz is injured and will not be content with that role further with other European clubs clearly interested.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 pm

What I am saying is that there is 7 games of a 38 game season left, that is more than enough to make an impression and secure a spot for next season. Yet you think regardless of what he does between now and May, he'll be sold.

You're also yet to answer the question.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:51 pm

A.) I don't think he'll be played there regularly for those 7 games, if at all.

B.) To answer the question, it would depend on who we might be able to get in in the summer, surely.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:56 pm

That still doesn't answer the question Laughing
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:57 pm

Yes it does. You're asking should we go forward with Matic and Luiz in the pivot. I'm saying it will depend on whom we can get in in the summer.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:58 pm

I am also asking in the short term.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:01 am

Oh. Well then why didn't you say so Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot? 2276801876

Well, anything is better than Ramires. And as Frank is...meh, I can't see them harm in trying it.
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:09 am

I figured it was fairly obvious as I used the word 'Continue' which means to persist with something. Not stop it until the end of the season then persist with it.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shed Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:09 am

Well if you want to get technical :coffee:
Shed
Shed
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Katy Perry Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:52 pm

Good question but to answer properly let me contextualize it first. Should we continue with the Luiz-Matic pivot next season? I don't think so. Mourinho hardly ever rotates his players unless he isn't sure of who the best player in that position is, while the rest of the team is pretty much stucked with the occasional and obliged rest, and the two positions that has been rotated the most this season are the CM and ST, and it's no secret that we will look to strengthen these position in the summer.

Should We Continue With The Luiz-Matic Pivot for the remainder of the season? Well in the CL we can't because Matic is cup tied, however I think that we will use Luiz in midfield against PSG because that's what Mou has done in almost every big game, especially the ones against team that deploys two very good strikers (Liverpool, United, City) to avoid to leave gaps in the defense when one of the two strikers drops deep, allowing Cahill and Terry to mantain the backline while Luiz takes care of him.
Should we continue with the Matic-Luiz pivot for the last 7 PL games? Yea, most likely, given Ramires's ban.

I may be biased saying this because D. Luiz is one of my favourite players but I don't think we should sell him, of course unless Barca panics out because of Puyol's retirement and Pique and Mascherano bad season and bids 40 mil, but he's a really useful back-up for the CM and CB position and I'm pretty sure it is Mikel and Lampard who are going to leave the club at the end of the season.
Katy Perry
Katy Perry
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum