BarcaLearning
El Chelsea Fuerte
DeletedUser#1
ExtremistEnigma
Ruben Pardo
34 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What are Man City's plans for next season - Page 3 Empty Re: What are Man City's plans for next season

Post by izzy Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:25 pm

Doc wrote:Well, City doesn't know what the quarter final stage looks like in the CL when comparing the two. PSG just so happens to know what it looks (when comparing the two). It isn't an achievement that is of any note to folks but when comparing the two, it's an indication that PSG have been doing something better than City.

Maybe I'm giving PSG a lil too much respect but I just don't see how City and PSG are close.

Luck of the draw Doc.

izzy
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

What are Man City's plans for next season - Page 3 Empty Re: What are Man City's plans for next season

Post by S Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 pm

Doc wrote:
S wrote:PSG maybe be better than City but not by much.You cant say they arent comparable at all.You're basically giving too much respect to PSG in that case,a team that is yet to achieve something significant on the European stage.

Well, City doesn't know what the quarter final stage looks like in the CL when comparing the two. PSG just so happens to know what it looks (when comparing the two). It isn't an achievement that is of any note to folks but when comparing the two, it's an indication that PSG have been doing something better than City.

Maybe I'm giving PSG a lil too much respect but I just don't see how City and PSG are close.

So Juve are better than the entire PL because they made last 8 last year where none of the PL teams did ?

I'm sure you're old enough to not indulge in these kind of arguments Doc.City had Bayern Munich in their group and finished 2nd only on GD whereas PSG had to Olympiakos and Benfica to contend with.

City faced Barca in the round of 16.PSG faced Leverkusen.Simple enough difference.

I just don't see how City and PSG are close.

I dont see how they're far apart.Both teams have quality squads and are pretty comparable in my view.

Some of the comments i read regarding PSG these days makes you think they're sure to win CL this year.But when/if they bow out in the next round you'll see a sea of knee-jerk(with the usual 'they're shit,they're overrated') as is common among the GL audience.

Last edited by S on Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:31 pm

Giggity Laughing

Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Doc Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:54 pm

PSG would most likely get knock out in the QF again but compared to City's squad (which is all I am doing), I am of the opinion that they are better in both terms of squad ability and management. As for the my remark on their UCL "achievements", it was meant to be a performance comparison in the same competition they (PSG and City) compete in together. I'll agree that PSG has been hella lucky when it comes to the draws though.
Doc
Doc
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by S Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:07 pm

My claim is that the difference is exaggerated especially when the other team has only been in the competition since two years ,its not like PSG are a traditional CL powerhouse are they.

Two years for me is not enough for a performance comparison of both teams.Both are rich and ambitious and will continue to strengthen the squad,they're not going to decrease in quality ofcourse.
For all we know City could make semis next year and PSG could get eliminated in the last 16,you cant be certain.

If the trend continued like say previous years,then we can agree but for me there isnt really a large difference between the two.We are being a little premature here in my opinion.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Gil Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:16 pm

PSG literally haven't beaten a good team in the CL yet they've been crowned by some nutjobs despite doing anything of note in Europe for some bizarre reason. Some of you are beyond delusional.

The only players that would get into City's team are Ibra, Silva & Sirigu that's it. Aguero, Silva, Kompany, Nasri, Silva, Toure etc these players would easily walk into their team.

I'd argue even Juventus are even stronger than PSG despite last years embarrassing exit in the group stages they've still beaten (comprehensively infact) a tough team (Chelsea) which is far more impressive than anything PSG have done in the CL so far.

Beating fodder like Valencia, Benfica, Olympiakos, Anderlecht, Leverkusen, Zagreb, Kiev & Porto over a two year time span isn't particularly impressive neither is battering the dross they face in France on a weekly basis.

Lille, Lyon, Marseille are nowhere near as good as they were a couple of years ago and Monaco were only just in Ligue 2 last season. I'm discounting pretty much everything they do in that League.

The first good team they faced (Barcelona) they went out. Despite facing a team playing a 20% fit Messi which lost 7-0 on aggregate to Bayern & 2-0 away from home to an average Milan team in the previous round.
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Valkyrja Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:05 pm

Matuidi would easily get into City's team.

Sirigu
Zabaleta Kompany Silva Clichy
Yaya Verratti Matuidi
Silva Ibra Aguero
Valkyrja
Valkyrja
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:13 am

How have City improved? Their attack has definitely gotten better but simultaneously, their defense has regressed. How is that an improvement? They were always going to be title contenders given the money they've spent this season, so its not a big deal. They could get out of the CL group stages this season because they didn't have much competition there, as compared to previous couple of seasons when they encountered deadly group opposition. So no, they haven't really improved.

Mancini had a defensively frail Yaya, 72 year old Gareth Barry, Jack "second coming of Hargreaves" Rodwell and extremely poor man's Sergio Busquets, Javi Garcia as his midfield options last season. Laughing

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Tomwin Lannister wrote:If I had to pick, I would pick Chelseas squad over Citys

All they really lack is a top striker.

Agreed.... i wouldn't have done when the season started but signing Eto'o, Willian, Matic etc etc and the improvement of the likes of Azpilicueta improving like they have i'd have them over City.

City's squad is overrated anyway i have that before..... their defense and midfield outside 5 players is very very average especially for a team that wishes to win things with regularity.

They have spent a lot of money but not wisely, to me that's what separates them with PSG.

We can hate on PSG all we like but it can't be denied they have built their squad very wisely.
dem sneaky change of opinions.. from "will walk the league" to "an overrated squad." Laughing
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:51 am

Couple of comments:

The sack Pellegrini comments are insane considering City are still mathematically able to be top of the league. Not City's fault the EPL has the schedule planning skills of a four year old and they have three games in hand.

Before denouncing that City are a 'terribly run club' people might want to give the current board of directors more than a year or two to leave a mark. Laporta's first three years were nothing to brag about, and then look at what happened.

City's branding is world class. They're innovative in social media and are building an empire across different leagues in different continents.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:08 am

BC, City are not Mathematically top, they are potentially top. They have to win three games to get top, much easier said than done.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:15 am

Kick wrote:BC, City are not Mathematically top, they are potentially top. They have to win three games to get top, much easier said than done.

Next 3 games are Hull, Fulham and Yanited. Hull could be a bit tricky away from home, but other than that it seems straight forward for City. hmm

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:19 am

Moyes at OT won't roll over for City, and if they drop a single point in any of those games, they're not top. Not that easy.

They have also lost their last two games so Morale won't be high plus Aguero could be out for a few weeks.

I am not saying it isn't doable, I am just saying it's not a foregone conclusion that they'll be top at the end of it.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:26 am

Kick wrote:Moyes at OT won't roll over for City

What are Man City's plans for next season - Page 3 BaA-n2qCYAEI1DA

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:39 am

sportsczy wrote:You can't compete in Europe with a 2-man mid.  Many of the top teams have opted to flood the midfield and take control there...  you'll just get overwhelmed.

If City are serious about CL, they need to transition into a 3-man mid concept... and they would need another CM.  I also feel that they have no depth to begin with.

Yaya being a truly poor defender makes it even more critical...

QFT
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:43 am

Kick wrote:BC, City are not Mathematically top, they are potentially top. They have to win three games to get top, much easier said than done.
BarrileteCosmico wrote:The sack Pellegrini comments are insane considering City are still mathematically able to be topof the league.
Isn't that what I said?

Also Sports they were not playing with a 2 person midfield. They played against Barca with Toure, Fernandinho, Silva, & Nasri.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:48 am

Silva and Nasri are inverted wingers and neither of them don't help out defensively/crowd the central of the pitch.

Leads to a lot of pressure on Yaya (who is limited when it comes to defending) and Fernandinho (who's actually a box-to-box player) when City aren't in possession.

Not too mention the only defenders that are decent is Kompany and Zabeleta.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:55 am

next season:

-----------------------Valdes
Zabaleta------Kompany----------Mangala------???
---------------Paulinho-------Toure
--Silva---------------------------------------Navas
---------------Aguero-------Jovetic

and they should be okay.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:09 am

Silva is as much inverted winger as Messi is inverted goalkeeper.

If you actually take a look at City's positional map instead of the displayed lineup sheet before kick-off you would realize that they played a very narrow formation akin to a 3-5-2 yesterday with Fernandinho tucked centrally infront of the centerbacks, Zabaleta and Kolarov pushed high and Silva, Nasri, Milner playing very narrow (all 3 more central than Iniesta). Which is why they managed to reduce Barca to 54 % possession 11 vs. 11.

I never understand why people believe poverty analysis like "they need 3 instead of 2 midfielders" is the solution. Have you actually paid attention to Bayern's formation last season?

Gomez upfront.
Müller behind Gomez.
Ribery and Robben on the wings.

Although I'm 100 % sure in sport's head Ribery is a false central wingmaking inverted defensive gladiator sweeping behind his centerbacks before leading the line so that doesn't actually make it a 2 man midfield.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:15 am

serie a is just as weak as ligue 1 and i don't see anything to change that fact milan done,inter done, napoli decent and juve decent.

again more overrating of epl ain't no way nasri,silva,yaya,navas and aguero(closest) walks into psg team Laughing
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:16 am

Red Alert wrote:Silva and Nasri are inverted wingers and neither of them don't help out defensively/crowd the central of the pitch.

Leads to a lot of pressure on Yaya (who is limited when it comes to defending) and Fernandinho (who's actually a box-to-box player) when City aren't in possession.
Please watch the game again. At times possession was 50/50. Against Barca. That can't happen if their midfield is getting dominated. S
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nasir6371 Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:49 am

Red Alert wrote:
sportsczy wrote:You can't compete in Europe with a 2-man mid.  Many of the top teams have opted to flood the midfield and take control there...  you'll just get overwhelmed.

If City are serious about CL, they need to transition into a 3-man mid concept... and they would need another CM.  I also feel that they have no depth to begin with.

Yaya being a truly poor defender makes it even more critical...

QFT

Pretty much This. Well said sport. Not sure what Pelle was expecting with Yaya-fernandinho vs Xavi/Iniesta/Busi

We defended pretty good in the second leg except for that moment of Sunday League Bullshet from Lescott. I would have been find with a miss placed back pass than that abortion of a first touch
Lescott :facepalm: :

Bring in a Holding Midfielder. Play 433 in Europe and 442 against all the teams outside the top 6 in the PL.
nasir6371
nasir6371
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Manchester City

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:13 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:Before denouncing that City are a 'terribly run club' people might want to give the current board of directors more than a year or two to leave a mark. Laporta's first three years were nothing to brag about, and then look at what happened.

*Since the takeover.

City's branding is world class. They're innovative in social media and are building an empire across different leagues in different continents.

Thats irrelevant because i'm mainly criticizing the sporting side of things.

And i acknowledge that they have a new management now who have done better than their predecessors but i was responding to people making claims that PSG are 'wise' with their spending while City are not which was true under the old management.City blew a lot of money on overrated/overpriced players.

And with FFP on the horizon now ,they cant be taking too many risks so obviously they have to be a little careful with their spending compared to previous seasons.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by S Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:21 am

chad4401 wrote:serie a is just as weak as ligue 1 and i don't see anything to change that fact milan done,inter done, napoli decent and juve decent.

I can understand Benzema fanboys are limited thinkers but its ok Laughing
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by chad4401 Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:25 am

how is EL treating you surag? its juve level so im expecting you to win it  Smile 
chad4401
chad4401
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:17 pm

[quote="S"]
Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:We can hate on PSG all we like but it can't be denied they have built their squad very wisely.

Comparing them to City doesnt mean anything though.They're a poorly run club,simply put.

Maybe comparing them to Chelsea would be much more apt.[/quote
P
Sorry which club did u mean poorly run here? Speaking of this, is Man C well run off the pitch? I just wouldnt know apart from on appearance they seem so. Compared with Mou they dont fire the manager non stop at least Razz
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaLearning Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:27 pm

Didnt read every post but I hope the sack Pelle didnt come from me. I just suggesting Pelle doesnt seem to 100% cut it that makes u feel confident.... hes still better a lot of manager of cos... anyway, will see if he can win the league.

Surprised a bit at some ppl not rating Man C and even saying they have just 5 world class players or something? Surely they are and should be considered an elite team this season on paper, apart from the CB spot. Everywhere else they have world class players.
BarcaLearning
BarcaLearning
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next