DeletedUser#1
Doc
Onyx
Gil
MJ
31 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

John Henry: "Arsenal DID Activate Suarez's Buyout Clause, We Refused Anyway." - Page 3 Empty Re: John Henry: "Arsenal DID Activate Suarez's Buyout Clause, We Refused Anyway."

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:24 am

chinomaster182 wrote:
Red Alert wrote:No, Liverpool genuinely didn't want to sell Torres at the time.

I cannot for the life of me believe this, it goes against Comollis and John Henrys MO, in fact Comollis sole job at Saint Ettiene was measuring a players peak and selling when they went past it. Of course though they will forever swear to the fans they didn't want to sell.

Believe it son.

Luis Suarez was bought to play with Fernando Torres.

We never wanted to sell Fernando, Chelsea triggered a 50m release cause in his contract.

Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

John Henry: "Arsenal DID Activate Suarez's Buyout Clause, We Refused Anyway." - Page 3 Empty Re: John Henry: "Arsenal DID Activate Suarez's Buyout Clause, We Refused Anyway."

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:26 am

BeautifulGame wrote:Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes
Follow
Suarez's clause was tested by various lawyers & the PFA. John Henry has either been misquoted or not got his own wording right.

/thread
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:53 am

mr-r34 wrote:Just for the lols

Petition to release Suarez

https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/liverpool-football-club-release-luis-suarez-to-arsenal-football-club

Notable signers

Olivier Giroud LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM about 5 hours ago    Liked 21
Because I am shit and need someone else to score the goals.

Yaya Sanogo LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM about 1 hour ago    Liked 3
And I'm even worse than Giroud.

rofl

#freesuarez
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:31 am

I'll try to respond to as many people as possible, but since I have yet to figure out how to use the multi-quote function (after... two years? three years on the forum? kinda embarrassing), it's going to be somewhat haphazard.

@chino: That's precisely the reason why Arsenal's bid was a mistake - the precise amount of it means that they had knowledge of the 40m release clause, that's clear evidence that almost any judge would accept. it could be tricky to prove in a court depending on the specific judge trying the case, but it's strong enough evidence that Henry and his legal advisors could be certain Suarez wouldn't test it.

@HMR - I readily admitted in the post that this is me piecing together a storyline from the actions of the parties. Without being able to review the specific wording of the clause, I don't think we can get much more specific, but this makes sense given what I know surrounding sports contracts.

@sports and BC and possibly a few other people - you're right, this may hurt LFC's reputation with players - I agreed with that in the post. At the same time, it's a statement of intent. I think Henry was really upset by the Torres situation and the power which players hold over the team to essentially void their own contracts when they see a better option. Any player that would refuse to sign with LFC because of these comments is not a player FSG wants to sign - they want players committed to LFC for the long term, not players interested in using it as a stepping stone. It's part of building a culture in the club which is broader than short term success, and it's an approach which has been a key component of FSG's success with the Red Sox.

@BC - as I explained above, they did abide by the terms of the contract from a legal perspective. If the contract has been breached by the other party, it is no longer in effect by the terms of the contract. Refusing to abide by terms which are no longer legally binding is not a breach and does not open you up to a lawsuit.

Also @BC - I addressed the concept of Arsenal suing for damages in my post above. It's a very, very vague legal concept which is difficult to quantify and even more difficult to prove in court. Attempting to do so would put Arsenal into a lengthy and costly legal battle, which they would have absolutely no guarantee of getting a cent out of. Additionally, it would cost them a substantial amount of goodwill with a corporate entity with whom they do a substantial amount of business, although how important that is to them after FSG already harmed the relationship is anyone's estimate. Further, the PFA has almost no basis to sue unless it's on behalf of Suarez himself. Even if they did, they essentially screwed themselves in any potential lawsuit with their comments over the summer, so that nips that in the bud.

Finally, @everyone - I can confidently say that John Henry did not misspeak or make a misstep here. He is an incredibly shrewd businessman who knows how to get what he wants out of a market, and you can be certain he has done his research a) on what legal action this would open him to and b) on how these statements would be taken by the European football community. I say this as someone who is a very vocal critic of John Henry. There are many things I dislike about him, but he is certainly not stupid.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:38 am

Given StevieG8's experience with law and scrupulous detail posted, it would be foolish to refute his concrete data unless provided an equally convincing statement.

This must be used as the reference point for this particular case. Absolutely fantastic job Stevie, you've had us learn much on this case and the procedures in general.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:05 am

@ stevie. It's not about "getting the players that LFC would want". All WC or WC-potential players want an out clause. It's just good business for them if things don't work out or they get a better offer. Heck, even CR7 had that with Madrid which is why FLo Perez was scared to death that he'd ask to leave. If this is a statement of intent... then LFC is basically making it improbable that any top player signs there. That puts a very definite ceiling on how high LFC can go.

Where LFC wants to be is this... allowing players to leave when they ask because they have the ability to replace him.

How do you think PSG attracted Ibra, Silva, Cavani, etc.? other teams would have offered the money. The key was that they are free to leave if truly unhappy. They won't sell until the last second if the player is adamant in that window.... but they would sell. Silva wanted to go to Barcelona this past summer, but he was convinced to stay.

Bayern act like LFC because thay are a one man show in Bundi and they used to have mostly german stars. They also don't allow for buyout clauses... so you know what you're getting into. Still... this is the first time they have so many international players. Interesting to see what happens if a key player asks to leave. I think they let him go because they can very easily replace him. Why shoot yourself in the foot?

Regarding Suarez... he wanted to leave for a while. Why not make a run at Cavani or Falcao? they may have cost 10 mil more than suarez' sale price... but their wages are far less now (10 mil each). They're every bit as good as Suarez and willing to take on a project. You don't lose quality on the pitch AND hurt your ability to sign players.

i just think LFC needs to be very careful here. John Henry can't change the football culture... he needs to find a way to succeed within it. This kind of boasting about cheating a player out of a commitment is not the way to go. should have kept quiet.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:09 am

This kind of boasting about cheating a player out of a commitment is not the way to go. should have kept quiet.

We would have a completely different scenario if (say) Arsenal bid (say) GBP 50 million instead of GBP 40 million + 1. The problem lays there. The interested party didn't show REAL intent in pursuing a players by bidding his (or close to) perceived value.

In the numerous transfers you have followed, how many deals has been agreed with such a comical offer. Even for mediocre players we see (see rumors) transfer values stretched by millions. Ask yourself, did you think the interested party had any real intention of pursuing Suarez when you heard about the 40 million +1 offer!!!
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:55 am

if a release clause has been agreed for an amount... even a gentleman's agreement.... there's no reason for a club to pay more. That's what a release clause means.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:06 am

I just wanted to share this because it's adorable Very Happy
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:17 am

Sports, please, on behalf of Luis Suarez just

you sound like an Arsenal fan.

Tony Barrett @TonyBarretTimes
Follow
Suarez's clause was tested by various lawyers & the PFA. John Henry has either been misquoted or not got his own wording right.

There was NO release clause. (There is now, but we're talking about the summer.)
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:21 am

OK , once in a few years about to finish (not yet) above Arsenal and acting like every LFC fan has won lottery.

FFS, I see no difference between you and Spurs fans, DESPERATE bunch.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:23 am

Go back to tweeting #freesuarez ffs
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:27 am

Red Alert wrote:Go back to tweeting #freesuarez ffs

Go back to Suarez flirting with every club in Champions League ffs.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:33 am

You have won the war with Suarez, now GTFO and move on.

But dont act like he is tied with Liverpool forever because it might fireback no later than this summer.

You just dont know how to act among elites. Smile

Welcome to Business Class, enjoy your trip to Europe.

Tip: We understand you are coming from 'behind', but please be respectful to fellow travelers.

Cheers with a glass of Champaign (you may drink it as well).

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:36 am

“When I arrived here I said it was my dream to play for Liverpool and play Champions League here. I know I can achieve my dreams here.”

I love his flirting too.  :wub: 

His dreams also include winning silverware, maybe that's why he refused to go to Arsenal in the summer? Sad
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:39 am

Highburied wrote:Welcome to Business Class, enjoy your trip to Europe.

And that right there is the reason your trophy cabinet at the Emirates is empty ffs. Go back to selling your top players and players that actually have the mentality to actually SUCCEDE, keep in mind you're selling them to YOUR OWN RIVALS to the title, and then wonder to yourself why half your team lacks bottle/mentality in the close in and why you settle for the "top 4".

If we were a "business class" team, we'd have sold Luis in the summer. We're not Arsenal. We'll win the PL before Arsenal do.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:06 pm

Red Alert wrote:
Highburied wrote:Welcome to Business Class, enjoy your trip to Europe.

And that right there is the reason your trophy cabinet at the Emirates is empty ffs. Go back to selling your top players and players that actually have the mentality to actually SUCCEDE, keep in mind you're selling them to YOUR OWN RIVALS to the title, and then wonder to yourself why half your team lacks bottle/mentality in the close in and why you settle for the "top 4".

If we were a "business class" team, we'd have sold Luis in the summer. We're not Arsenal. We'll win the PL before Arsenal do.

You must be watching Benjamin Button .

This Liverpool team is not good enough to win the title. Not anytime soon.

Despite spending hundreds of millions over the years, you havent the fondation to be conpared with Arsenal.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:09 pm

Red Alert wrote:
“When I arrived here I said it was my dream to play for Liverpool and play Champions League here. I know I can achieve my dreams here.”

His dreams also include winning silverware, maybe that's why he refused to go to Arsenal in the summer? Sad

It took him a few seasons to fullfill his dream just to play in CL.

You have no depth to play in several competitions.
Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:15 pm

Enough, HB.

Back on topic, please or don't post in this thread.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:23 pm

@Sports, I think Henry certainly knew what he was doing when he did not allow Suarez to let go to Arsenal and the reasons are already explained by Stivie, as in why it was a shrewed game to play. Also, I do not think LFC's reputation is at stake in such a way because finally in the new contract Suarez still has a buy out clause, so that still means something legally and the clear intent by the owner otherwise he wouldnt have agreed a release clasue at all. So basically Henry just took advantage of few factors which were in his favour in the last summer.
Finally the picture is still colourful and nice in front of the media. The way Suarez has handled himself on the pitch, his form, goal scoring record (whatever the reasons may be like WC or anything). So I dont think it will stop us from getting WC player (in case we have CL footy), although only time will answer this question.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:09 pm

@HEIL MEIN REDS

The Buy out clause in Suarez new contract only kicks off if we fail to finish in Top 4 this season.
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:45 pm

Red Alert wrote:

So much.
John Henry: "Arsenal DID Activate Suarez's Buyout Clause, We Refused Anyway." - Page 3 Suarez
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:19 pm

Bloody arsenal fans they talk like they've won a trophy is the last 8 years FFS.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:39 am

Liverpool have won a mind numbing, boner inducing, heart racing ONE more trophy than us in the last 8 years

And since it's been established that we haven't won a trophy in that time, guess what Liverpool's total trophy count in the last 8 years has been......
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:41 am

1?
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:13 am

That's bullshit Lex, since you won your last trophy (FA Cup), we've won:

CL
UEFA Super Cup
FA Cup
FA Community Shield
League Cup

That's every trophy possibly except the league you pos, get your info straight.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next