Lex
Hapless_Hans
Wilson37
urbaNRoots
Jay29
VendettaRed07
12 posters

Go down

Oxlade... The striker? Empty Oxlade... The striker?

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:21 pm

Now I know there are many on here with perhaps with deeper, more technical knowledge that can explain to me why this idea is either a plausible or ridiculous one.

I've been thinking this over, and all the discussions many of us have had about what skillet we are looking for in a player that would fit into our system as a striker and to me, from my perspective atleast Ox ticks off pretty much all the categories.

He's got a brilliant first touch, pace, speed, vision, can spot out and make the right pass in the final third. Not to mention he has strength, power in his shot, and to me mostly everything else I feel like we want in a striker. perhaps his height is a concern, but is that really all that important in our system?

Anyhow jus a thought. After all the talk of dropping £37m+ converting Draxler into a striker, why not give the player we already have on our roster a chance ?
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Oxlade... The striker? Empty Re: Oxlade... The striker?

Post by Jay29 Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:56 pm

He's got the skills for the position, but the problem is that playing a lone striker requires you to have your back to goal and in that position it becomes much harder to utilise those skills. He wouldn't be able to run at players in that position, unlike when he plays in midfield, where he can use his pace and skill to penetrate space from deep; his second goal today was a textbook example of that.

Also, to make the most of his creativity he's need to be facing the play and running at defences, not holding off two centre backs and trying to flick balls round the corner for runners.

It's for similar reasons why Ronaldo doesn't play up front. Even though he's such a great finisher and has fantastic movement, he doesn't like having his back to goal.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:11 pm

ahh l see .. Thanks, that makes sense.

But Walcott had success playing as a striker.. is there anything walcott does that Ox doesn't? or atleast not as well?

And is draxler shown more capability of holding up the ball and playing with his back to goal than ox? What about him would transition to a striker better than ox?
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:20 pm

I still think his best position is LW or LAM like Cazorla. He has what is needed there, short passing, speed, technically strong, vision, a very strong shot, impressive off the ball movement, can score and assist a lot of goals and top of that is a good defender.

But I agree with your final point, splashing £37m for a very young player, who might or might not be able to play as a striker is a high risk to take. We could instead sign a natural striker and play Ox on the left wing more often. However, Wenger clearly doesn't think that way, he sees him as a centre midfielder even though Wilshere and Ramsey will occupy those two spots in the future.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:45 pm

i dont think striker(CF) is possible for him.. it demands much more qualities..
but i think we should use him permanently as the false winger..
and he can do a better job than Cazorla.. he has the pace and dribbling to take on the fb and also can cut in and shoot.. as a CM we may not be able to use his dribbling and shooting skills frequently..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Hapless_Hans Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Draxler hasn't played as a real striker either, all that turning Draxler into a striker stuff is just speculation, probably born on some Arsenal forum as an imaginary byproduct to justify why it would make sense to buy him.
Hapless_Hans
Hapless_Hans
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:13 pm

Someone PLEASE find me that video/GIF of him turning Evra inside out Sad
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm

No. Oxlade just showed if we had quality striker what this team can do. Theo and Oxlade are more effective on the wings.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:02 pm

if we played with two forwards up front like an LF and RF setup he could do it. Check out some of his Southampton footage...

Don't think he can do the lone striker thing though
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:53 am

OX is a natural gifted player with ability to play anywhere.

I would however try him as a false 9.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:03 am

Decent shout, but right now we need Chamberlain in the midfield!

SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:29 am

Hapless_Hans wrote:Draxler hasn't played as a real striker either, all that turning Draxler into a striker stuff is just speculation, probably born on some Arsenal forum as an imaginary byproduct to justify why it would make sense to buy him.

This is something that I have been curious about as well. Where did this guff start? And if Wenger has done so twice in the last 17 years of being at the club, what makes people (read: Media) convinced that he's trying to do the same with Draxler. (This is ofcourse, assuming that we are actually in for him, had bid(s) rejected, and will be getting him in the summer).

To me, it sounds like some one, some where, got bored of trying to talk up 'Theo-will-be-the-next-converted-striker' line. The fact that Theo played only RW when fit and did his ACL in the one match he did play up front this season left a gaping void in the race for the next converted winger.

Enter Julian Draxler speculations. Fit the bill, so let's publish a story on it in some obscure blog and wait for gullible mainstream media sources to pick it up and make merry.

I wouldn't be surprised if a genuine question asked about Ox's ability in that role in this thread would be picked up into 'Ox The Next Winger Converted By Arsene Into WC Striker' headlines if/when Draxler related rumours quiet down. (And I know they will, since we had clandestinely completed deals for M'Vila and Jovetic at this time the previous years).

Rolling Eyes 

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:25 am

The idea of Draxler as striker came naturally because of his identical game with RVP.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:00 pm

Barça buy central players and convert them to wingers, arsenal buy wingers and conver them to strikers.  Razz 
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down