Art Morte
Red Alert
iftikhar
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

The Throstle and The SAS Empty The Throstle and The SAS

Post by iftikhar Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:28 am

West Bromwich Albion Football Club also known as West Brom, The Baggies, The Throstles, Albion or WBA, is an English professional football club based in the West Midlands. They are currently 15th with 22 points. Their form in January (all competition) is WLLDL. They are 344 with 0 GD at home. They are a queer bunch. They won against United (away) & Newcastle (home) and drew with Everton (home & away), Arsenal (home), Chelsea (away) & Spurs (away). Yet they dropped points against struggling and ‘not so special’ teams like Swansea, Fulham, Villa or Norwich.

Our unenviable record (3-0-3 with 8/8 in goals) against them in recent times:

2013/14: Liverpool (home) 4-1 (EPL)
2012/13: Liverpool (home) 0-2 (EPL)
2012/13: Liverpool (away) 2-1 (League Cup)
2012/13: Liverpool (away) 0-3 (EPL)
2011/12: Liverpool (home) 0-1 (EPL)
2011/12: Liverpool (away) 2-0 (EPL)

Unless we sign someone by deadline day, it’s going to be the same starting XI as against Everton. Personally, I would prefer Kelly (RWB) instead of Cissoko.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

The Throstle and The SAS Empty Re: The Throstle and The SAS

Post by Red Alert Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:47 am

They are a queer bunch.
Oh ifti, rofl

They're in a huge mess. We really should be winning this.

Anelka might miss out.

Since their unlucky 2-2 draw at Stamford Bridge, West Brom have only won one of their twelve league matches, and lie second bottom in the Premier League table for this period.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:06 am

Also, let's be clear.

Every single from now to the last match day are "must wins". (Sorry stevieg8, it's cliché and all, but we must be winning now.)

We can only, mathematically, drop "1" game to be guaranteed top 4. We are responsible for our fate right now. If we want top 4, we need to be stepping up.

___

Chelsea play City at the Etihad. If City go onto to win it, and we beat WBA, we go 1 point behind them. They also play Everton (Newcastle is irrelevant now that Cabaye is gone imo.) Arsenal's fixtures in February are also very hard, and can easily drop points this month. So we can really realistically finish top 3, which is guaranteed CL. I think our CL coefficient points is still quite good too (taking into consideration where we've been in the last 5 years), so we'll be in tier 3, not tier 4 in Europe.  Let's not forget they'll be distracted by European games. Our push for getting into Europe's elite starts now. And we NEED to be finishing in a top 4 for the future of this club. Or we'll sit in mediocrity for another 2 years until our "next push". Thumbs up
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:22 am

It will surely be the same XI as against Everton, injuries dictate that we haven't got almost any choice, either.

The queer-bunch-Baggies are indeed in a mess and we should take advantage of that. Their strikers aren't scoring. The 20-year-old Berahino is their leading scorer with 4 goals. Their defenders have scored more goals (5) than the rest of their strikers combined (4).

Their midfield isn't too bad, though. Mulumbu.
(Brunt, Yacob and Morrison do a pretty decent job collectively, too).

Also their preferred back four is always playing together and are usually well-organized while Foster's a good 'keeper.

We will probably have less possession than our opposition in this game, too, they'll have more men in midfield, but if we work hard defensively and are able to counter effectively and make quick, decisive choices in attack, I could see this be similar to the Everton game with us creating plenty of chances. Our work-rate will be the key, imo, our attacking players must replicate what they did against Everton.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:04 am

When do we ever have more possession on the road anymore? lol

No doubt we'll play the counter-attacking style. :S

Anyway, here's the pre-match facts:

-West Brom have won just three of their last 15 premier league games at the Hawthorns. (D6 L6)

-Liverpool have only failed to score in one of their last 13 PL away games, and have netted 33 in that run.

-However, the Reds have just kept just one clean sheet in their last 10 trips on the road and conceded 20 times in those matches. (Average of conceding 2 goals a game.)

-After losing the first nine PL meetings with Liverpool, West Brom have won four of the last six (two defeats).

-Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge have played a combined 33 PL games this season and scored 36 goals.

-Daniel Sturridge has found the net in 12 of his last 15 PL appearances for Liverpool this season.

-Liverpool have scored 37 first half goals this season, 10 more than West Brom have in total (27) in the PL 13-14 so far.

-Liverpool have scored in each of their last 13 PL games, averaging 3.1 goals per game over this period (40 goals in total).

-Luis Suarez has matched his league goal total from last season in just 18 appearances (compared to 33 in 12/13).

-Liverpool have made fewer substitutes than any other PL side this season with 53.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 pm

BR: Joe Allen will be back to play West Brom on Sunday. He’s looked good in training so that’s important.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:09 pm

Why wouldn't we play on the counter if Pepe Mel resists with high line possession style with Lugano-Olsson partnership Very Happy . The key is to outsmart opposition as we did vs Everloan Very Happy

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:21 pm

Red Alert wrote:Also, let's be clear.

Every single from now to the last match day are "must wins". (Sorry stevieg8, it's cliché and all, but we must be winning now.)

We can only, mathematically, drop "1" game to be guaranteed top 4. We are responsible for our fate right now. If we want top 4, we need to be stepping up.

___

Chelsea play City at the Etihad. If City go onto to win it, and we beat WBA, we go 1 point behind them. They also play Everton (Newcastle is irrelevant now that Cabaye is gone imo.) Arsenal's fixtures in February are also very hard, and can easily drop points this month. So we can really realistically finish top 3, which is guaranteed CL. I think our CL coefficient points is still quite good too (taking into consideration where we've been in the last 5 years), so we'll be in tier 3, not tier 4 in Europe.  Let's not forget they'll be distracted by European games. Our push for getting into Europe's elite starts now. And we NEED to be finishing in a top 4 for the future of this club. Or we'll sit in mediocrity for another 2 years until our "next push". Thumbs up

Mathematically, we were level with all 20 other teams at the start if the season and couldn't drop a single point if we wanted to avoid relegation. Technically, every game all year has been must-win. If we went undefeated I think we'd have a solid shot at top 4. hmm
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:57 pm

Natalie Portman wrote:Why wouldn't we play on the counter if Pepe Mel resists with high line possession style with Lugano-Olsson partnership Very Happy. The key is to outsmart opposition as we did vs Everloan Very Happy
exactly I will never agree with anyone that there is successful and guaranteed style of play or strategy which will give result against every opponent,

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 am

Joe Allen's should be fit for this one. I'd consider resting Henderson, to be honest. He's played a lot of games this year, and he hasn't been rested at all.

stevieg8 wrote:

___

Mathematically, we were level with all 20 other teams at the start if the season and couldn't drop a single point if we wanted to avoid relegation. Technically, every game all year has been must-win. If we went undefeated I think we'd have a solid shot at top 4. hmm

Mathematically, we were level with 19 other teams. Wink

And technically, we can go undefeated and still fight for relegation. (38 draws. Razz)

Honestly though, there's 15 games to go. We can "only" let 1 slip as of right now until people under us drop points.

Every game should be treated as if it's a cup final. But then again, we always end up drawing finals and end up winning on penalties, so maybe we shouldn't follow that approach.  Very Happy 
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:52 am

Win here soften's the deadline day blow even further and puts it in the back of peoples minds.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:59 am

Have you forgotten? We already missed CL by not signing anyone, Sepi's sources said so.

Red Alert wrote:Joe Allen's should be fit for this one. I'd consider resting Henderson, to be honest. He's played a lot of games this year, and he hasn't been rested at all.

stevieg8 wrote:

___

Mathematically, we were level with 19 other teams. Wink

And technically, we can go undefeated and still fight for relegation. (38 draws. Razz)

Honestly though, there's 15 games to go. We can "only" let 1 slip as of right now until people under us drop points.

Every game should be treated as if it's a cup final. But then again, we always end up drawing finals and end up winning on penalties, so maybe we shouldn't follow that approach.  Very Happy 

Laughing well said.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:11 am

stevieg8 wrote:Have you forgotten?  We already missed CL by not signing anyone, Sepi's sources said so.

Moses will guide us forth ffs.  cheers 
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:48 am

We've got the quality in the squad as it is to finish in top-4.
Have we got the depth, that's the problem. If our key players stay fit, no problem. But we currently have fit:

3 CMs
2 CBs
3 Full-backs (none of them first-choice)

While the quality of our bench options, well, I think this pre-match fact by Red Alert says it all:
-Liverpool have made fewer substitutes than any other PL side this season with 53.

Anyway, the window's closed, nothing we can do about that any more. Let's go get the three points from Albion tomorrow with what we've got and show to ourselves and others that we've still got what it takes to make CL!
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:18 pm

I don't dispute any of that, Art. I would've loved to have gotten some cover in.

But our games aren't played in the Ukraine, and I'm fairly certain I haven't seen Ian Ayre's name on the team sheet (even on the bench!) a single time this season.

Games are played on the pitch, and at the moment we're still in fourth. Let's complain when we actually fall apart, no?
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:38 pm

CHARLIE ADAM FFS :bow:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:43 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
Games are played on the pitch, and at the moment we're still in fourth.  Let's complain when we actually fall apart, no?
scratch
I think everyone has a right to complain about the window/the bench. Now I am just hoping that we dont face injuries which will wekaen our side attacking wise. Also, another hope is that whatevr we could save this window, it presents a chance to get some WC talent in.

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:57 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
Games are played on the pitch, and at the moment we're still in fourth.  Let's complain when we actually fall apart, no?

We slowly have fallen apart.

We went from 1st to 4th in the space of a few weeks.  Suspect 

Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:31 pm

Red Alert wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:

:facepalm: and as has repeatedly been pointed out, in those "few weeks" we lost two and drew one. Not exactly a crisis.

Anyway, to the other person who responded to me (HMR? I'm already on the message page so can't look anymore), I'm not saying we shouldn't complain about the window. I agree that we could've used some cover. I'm saying threads like Sepi's which assume we've already missed top 4 are annoying.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:54 pm

stevieg8 wrote:
Red Alert wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:

:facepalm: and as has repeatedly been pointed out, in those "few weeks" we lost two and drew one.  Not exactly a crisis.

Anyway, to the other person who responded to me (HMR?  I'm already on the message page so can't look anymore), I'm not saying we shouldn't complain about the window.  I agree that we could've used some cover.  I'm saying threads like Sepi's which assume we've already missed top 4 are annoying.
agreed, its possible what you said. Sometimes I just find them funny Laughing

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:52 am

stevieg8 wrote:
Red Alert wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:

:facepalm: and as has repeatedly been pointed out, in those "few weeks" we lost two and drew one.  Not exactly a crisis.

I never stated it was a crisis though, did I?

Losing 2, and drawing 1 isn't exactly great, is it?

Especially if you take into our account this "poor run of form" is down to injuries in a thin squad, and bad tactics...
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:58 am

What poor run of form?

In 2014 we have won 5 and drawn 1.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:59 am

Thank you McAgger you beat me to it.

Red Alert, I apologize. You didn't use the word "crisis". You said we were "falling apart". I should've been more accurate in reflecting your word choice. :coffee:
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:14 am

I said slowly falling apart. :coffee:

My eyes have always been on the league title.  :whistle: 
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:18 am

Smile mine too. I would bawl my eyes out if I got to see Gerrard lift that trophy...
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: