mr-r34
sportsczy
Art Morte
HOXTYGEN
iftikhar
Red Alert
13 posters

Go down

Do we have what it takes? Empty Do we have what it takes?

Post by Red Alert Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:51 am

The team top of the PL at Christmas has won the title in each of the last four seasons. Destiny.

However...

The last team to top the PL table at Christmas and not win the title were Liverpool in 2008-09. Warning.

hmm

THIS THREAD IS FULL OF OPTIMISM ONLY, NO "PESSISMISTS" / RED ALERT ALLOWED AFTER THIS POINT

Although, I may pop in if we do get a number 10 in the winter transfer window hmm
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Do we have what it takes? Empty Re: Do we have what it takes?

Post by iftikhar Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:39 am

2008-09 SIGH. Not only we gifted the trophy to MU, that was the start of our slide.

Don't know where we will end up come May. There are simply too many ifs. But I can tell you this, after 4-5 years, teams are not too eager to meet us.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by HOXTYGEN Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:51 am

Currently, our squad is too thin to compete especially in this run of fixtures and injury to anybody else now means we are in deep shit. We might want to give some fringe players like aspas to feature and probably others too so we can preserve some players with the exception of Suarez which I doubt has any form of replacement. If we can scale through the next two fixtures good for us. Second half of the season should be fun.
HOXTYGEN
HOXTYGEN
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:34 pm

I think I read that on the previous three times we've been on top at Christmas we have not won the title, dating back to the '90-'91 season.

I don't think we'll win the title, but a top-4 place, please, let's make that happen!
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by sportsczy Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:01 pm

there is no dominant team in epl this year. Only one that could develop into one is City imo... but short of that, i don't see why Liverpool couldn't win.

That said, depth is bad in several areas. So it will take some luck.
sportsczy
sportsczy
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:05 pm

It's like everyone just ignored the second part.

DW Red, league is ours in the bag.

But seriously no, not even top 4 is guaranteed. We could be 5th or 6th by next year.  :whistle: 
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by HOXTYGEN Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:58 pm

And we could be 3rd, 2nd or 1st too.....its all about hoping for the best but at the same time expecting the worst...
HOXTYGEN
HOXTYGEN
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by iftikhar Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:27 pm

I would really want Kelly, Alberto, Moses and Aspas get some minutes with Hull, Olham, Stoke and Villa. Not only our regulars need some break, those players must get some minutes if they are to be useful.

I hope we have already identified our targets (along with options) and close deals early in the winter window. We were really chasing shadows in the summer window.
iftikhar
iftikhar
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:46 pm

If we can take atleast a point from our next two fixtures, then we can win the league. If we can't, we won't. (if you get what I mean)
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by HOXTYGEN Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:27 pm

I don't see our next two matches as title decider, they just complete the first half of the season. Anything can happen at the second half and besides that's when its hard to play relegation threatened teams.
HOXTYGEN
HOXTYGEN
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:34 pm

iftikhar wrote:I would really want Kelly, Alberto, Moses and Aspas get some minutes with Hull, Olham, Stoke and Villa. Not only our regulars need some break, those players must get some minutes if they are to be useful.

I hope we have already identified our targets (along with options) and close deals early in the winter window. We were really chasing shadows in the summer window.

What? That's utterly untrue. We identified our targets (Aspas, Papadopoulus, Toure, Mkhitaryan) early and moved for them quickly... two were sorted and two ended up not working out, but they weren't missed out on because we didn't know what/who we wanted. Other issues arose despite our quick movement and targeting.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:12 pm

Tbh this reminds me of Juve 2010/11

Before the season started we were all hoping for a CL spot at most, and would have happily snatched it up were we given the choice

But half way through the season, we realised that we could actually go on and win the whole thing. Then the thought of 'only' finishing top 3 sounded disappointing. But in reality, it would have still been a success.

So, Liverpool have a chance of winning the title. Although probably not as the favourites. But pool fans shouldn't be too disappointed with a CL return.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by BeautifulGame Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:22 am

We do have one big advantage over other rivals.Once the City and Chelsea away games are over we have an incredibly easy run in imoSo to be in this position (at worst 2 points of top 4 if we lose our next 2) after our incredibly hard first half of the season is in itself amazing.

We only play United Stoke and Southampton away of the top 11 team teams in the second half of the season.Compare that with City who will have to play away to Arsenal Liverpool United Spurs Newcastle Everton in the second half of the season.

If we can maintain the Anfield fortress form (P10 W9 L1) and keeping picking up points like this until Sturridge returns we have real chance imo.(Btw anyone know when he is scheduled to return?)

But our objective this season is Champions league football and i would be overjoyed with that.Hope we dont put ourselves under unnecessary pressure.

Edit:

We also need a decent january window which is crucial not just for title challenge but also to maintain our top 4 momentum .
BeautifulGame
BeautifulGame
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Dec 25, 2013 5:45 am

What a beautiful video :bow: :bow:

Fit for this thread, got goosebumps all over
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:51 am

HOXTYGEN wrote:I don't see our next two matches as title decider, they just complete the first half of the season. Anything can happen at the second half and besides that's when its hard to play relegation threatened teams.
What I meant to say is that the next two games are arguably our toughest games of the season. If we can atleast draw one of these games, it will be a statement of our intent and the things we're capable of.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:08 pm

seriously who cares about winning the league and all,
All I care is that top 4 and then some stability to sustain so that we continue playing in CL and one day we will fight for League
Who gives a frrrack about anything, just win the league and i dont care if we play in third league for a decade or so

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Do we have what it takes? BcrD-AfCUAEwSOG

6 points off leaders and this is how the 2nd half of the season spans out!!!

Not bad ehhh!!  drinking 
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:55 pm

The question is are we really good at home, or is it because we vsed all the shit teams at how that's making us look good, i guess we'll soon see  hmm 
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Fahim89 Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:13 pm

Well point but then again we have proven to be sticking to our plans very solidly at home! So i guess we might just turn up more at home then away!
Fahim89
Fahim89
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Helmer Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:06 pm

looking at that list it seems, Liverpool and Chelsea seem to be have favourable fixtures in 2nd half of the season.
Apart from that, if City dont improve their away form, they can be in deep shit, by that i mean their title contention will be in question

Helmer
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down