ExtremistEnigma
DeletedUser#1
Art Morte
Red Alert
Arquitecto
18 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Liverpool v. Southampton: 15.00 Saturday 21st September 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: Liverpool v. Southampton: 15.00 Saturday 21st September 2013

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:26 pm

I hope our scouts are already busy looking for a Central midfielder in January.

I really am pissed at this. We are the only team yet to score in second half of games. We looked spent and out of ideas out there, and we don't even have European footy to tire the squad. It's only September, why do we look burnt out ?

In all other 4 games, we had a spell of domination that we moved the ball quickly and used quick transitions keeping the ball.
Today? there was absolutely zero positive. NADA

Really hope we don't become the team to get Sunderland out of crisis next week.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Liverpool v. Southampton: 15.00 Saturday 21st September 2013 - Page 4 Empty Re: Liverpool v. Southampton: 15.00 Saturday 21st September 2013

Post by stevieg8 Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:29 pm

*sigh* I think I might take a few days off of GL. Maybe until after the United game, or possibly next weekend if we lose that one. We got 10 points from 5 games despite having a pretty atrocious injury list, we beat Man U, we brought it some very impressive names to shore up major deficiencies in our squad, and yet still one loss is enough to turn this place into a mortuary. Everyone's writing off our season for no reason. Bad games, even bad runs of games happen and they happen to top teams. And even if this run has been as bad as everyone is claiming, WE STILL GOT 10 points.

Too much negativity for me, it's just depressing. It's too early in the year to hear this crap.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Sep 21, 2013 11:42 pm

stevieg8 wrote:*sigh* I think I might take a few days off of GL.  Maybe until after the United game, or possibly next weekend if we lose that one.  We got 10 points from 5 games despite having a pretty atrocious injury list, we beat Man U, we brought it some very impressive names to shore up major deficiencies in our squad, and yet still one loss is enough to turn this place into a mortuary.  Everyone's writing off our season for no reason.  Bad games, even bad runs of games happen and they happen to top teams.  And even if this run has been as bad as everyone is claiming, WE STILL GOT 10 points.

Too much negativity for me, it's just depressing.  It's too early in the year to hear this crap.
And there has been a worrying patterns in all the games. I'm all for trolling the General section when we're doing well, but here let's be serious.

Gerrard-Lucas is a massively concerning issue. Since Stoke game, we have barely createdclear cut chances for our forwards. Our play is laboured in 2nd half of all games.

Positivity? After the last 4 years, I'll be skeptical. I don't wanna build it up to get crushed again. Our fluid passing game from back end of last season seem to have disappeared. As BR mentioned we need to go on a good run again, because this team's mentality is still fragile and a few more results like this and we are back in square one.

The decision not to pursue Eriksen is turning out to be more and more baffling with every passing day. We look otherly void of ideas and graft without Coutinho. Our passing appears rather aimless and we play a lot more percentage balls than we did in our great spell in the end of last season.

For me, Rodgers is being too clever for his own sake with some of his changes and selections. He needs to go back to basics. O, and we need to try different combinations in CM, and not all of them have to include Gerrard.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:23 am

stevieg8 wrote:*sigh* I think I might take a few days off of GL.  Maybe until after the United game, or possibly next weekend if we lose that one.  We got 10 points from 5 games despite having a pretty atrocious injury list, we beat Man U, we brought it some very impressive names to shore up major deficiencies in our squad, and yet still one loss is enough to turn this place into a mortuary.  Everyone's writing off our season for no reason.  Bad games, even bad runs of games happen and they happen to top teams.  And even if this run has been as bad as everyone is claiming, WE STILL GOT 10 points.

Too much negativity for me, it's just depressing.  It's too early in the year to hear this crap.
Did you really expect any different?
Some have been almost excited for this coming, others have (against warnings) built up absolutely ridiculous expectations for the players, manager, and season... it was only a matter of time until this happened. I'm just glad it's out of the way now... hopefully people can go back to being reasonable and less knee-jerk.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:46 am

I was at least hoping for the continuation of our great play from the tail end of last season. Sad
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:00 am

It was ALWAYS going to be a shit game from us.

Our team lacks creativity. Especially when Johnson, Suarez and Coutinho are out. And Aspas is playing in the centre.

The loss is on Rodgers for me. Why would you play FOUR CBS as the back 4. FOUR. He was asking for us to be shit. The whole team was disjointed both in attack, and in defence. The midfield had no support, and they couldn't pass the ball forward because there was no movement in the final third. Our best chance came from a penalty that wasn't given. But I'm not going to be clutching at straws and say we deserved it, we were shit.

Henderson was moved to the centre too late, he's not a creative player. He wasn't going to unlock Soton up and Moses needs to learn how to pass.

I'm glad to lose to be honest. Atleast people can now see we aren't guaranteed a top 4 spot and we have problems in the squad. And that there are 5 teams better than us.

With that said, Mignolet :bow:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:01 am

With that said, it's one loss. Our first loss in 13 games or so.

We need to bounce back next week, and win. Similarly to what Arsenal had done. They were in a "crisis" after one loss.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by ExtremistEnigma Sun Sep 22, 2013 7:31 am

I would've agreed totally on any other day but I just don't know how I can be optimistic today. We just scraped past wins in our previous games and this time, we hardly could threaten the opposition. The worst part is we lost at home. Getting 9 points from our 4 games is definitely brilliant but then you go and lose the next game at home. This certainly affects the morale of the players.

The injury list is not as bad as you're it making out to be, Arsenal and United have regularly worse and more injury problems than us. If we want to get into the top 4, we need to make the most of our games even with the injury problems we have.
ExtremistEnigma
ExtremistEnigma
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:03 am

I don't think our reaction here has been too critical or heavily negative.

We played bad, we haven't been as convincing so far this season as one might expect and there are some problems on the pitch in terms of personel and team chemistry. I mean, if we don't talk about that at all, we would be turning a blind eye to these issues. We're talking about our observations and isn't that the whole idea of coming to a forum like this? Where there have been positives, they've gotten noticed, too, like people praising Mignolet and acknowledging Henderson's importance in our midfield, for instance.

And yes, we've got 10 points from five games which isn't too shabby. However, personally I think there is some cause for concern whether our current performance level will keep getting us points at a good pace. On the other hand our best player's suspension is now over. Let's see which way we go from here.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Rodgers was definitely partially to blame for this. Everybody in their right mind knew that 4 CBs wouldn't work. Specially since one of them Agger (was playing injured). And before you come in telling he had no fullbacks available, I'd like to point out that Wisdom and Kelly were both on the bench, while Kelly might not have been match ready, Wisdom was definitely 100%. And Rodgers also had the opportunity to play 3 at the back.

We can definitely learn from this. And we must definitely look at this as 3 points lost.

EDIT Months Later

Liverpool v. Southampton: 15.00 Saturday 21st September 2013 - Page 4 Liverpool-south-hampton

Liverpool v. Southampton: 15.00 Saturday 21st September 2013 - Page 4 9868911135_f058f4d289_o

Last edited by McAgger on Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:56 am; edited 2 times in total
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:26 pm

Quite possibly the worst result under Brendan Rodger's regime. I cannot recall a single moment where our team looked impressive yesterday.

When you deploy a 4-2-3-1, a formation that relies on fullbacks to create width, yet deploy the most 'centreback-y' centrebacks responsible for such a task, you are bound to fail and especially when width is already a problem in our play.

Where was Martin Kelly? Andre Wisdom? Enrique? Yes, possibly not fit or just inexperienced yet deploying CBs who do not have a semblance of movement of a natural fullback will result in your backline being easy pickings for the wide opposition. Pocchetino noticed that immediately and ordered SOTON to exploit Sakho's weaknesses out wide. No transition of overlap or efficiency from deep as we were sitting ducks.

Why not deploy a 3 man? Why make some changes for the sake of making changes, yet not making sense on the reasons behind them?

Does not help when our dual pivot of Gerrard-Lucas has been below par, despite Gerrard being excellent this season. Lucas on the other hand has been rather disappointing. Looks off pace, isn't positioned where he needs to be & wilts when pressed. Surprisingly he has improved in his adaptation to tight spaces within the ball and in attack yet is nowhere near the play pre-ACL.

Aspas, until he does not adapt to the EPL will be unable to support Sturridge in a central role, despite it being natural for him. Such players who need time to adapt are slotted out wide, while naturally CENTRAL players like Jordan Henderson, are immediately slotted central.

I've praised Henderson in his wide-right and advanced central role alike, especially given his improved navigation and response to pressure, yet I cannot stress enough on how Henderson is meant to be played deep. He thrives from making runs from the deep end, thrives on open spaces to keep our midfield ticking and does not provide the needed guile and genius to make the difference in the end. Can we finally have Steven Gerrard back in a position to which does not have him covering for Lucas' positional lapses?

Sturridge had his worst game of the season, yet I do not blame him. Considering Rodgers is hell bent on having our talisman play every minute of the season whether carrying knocks or unfitness or fatigue, I cannot blame him. Yet he looks 2 steps short of his normal dexterity, has run out of ideas (fatigue does that) and is too selfish for even his own standards when a better opportunity is presented.

Sterling was by no means good. I cannot understand on how he wasn't played as an inside forward, considering he has no left-foot. It meant he continually drifted out wide into nonsensical positions, took one touches despite having opportunities to pass and all around displayed his very raw intelligence. Tactically a headache.

Unless we stop being pathetic renditions of ourselves in the 2nd half and do not address our deep midfield dilemmas, we will continue to rely on a goal to sit on while teams pressure us.

Our display near the end of hoofing it withot reason, was a testament to how early we run out of ideas. Doesn't help that Anfield has lost ALL of its magic and fans leave 5 minutes before the game ends. Embarrassing.

I expect improvement in Old Trafford, even if United will be bolstered to return after their humiliation vs City. Some segments need to be addressed.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:13 am

'Tactical shambles exposes Brendan Rodgers’ lack of balance' Tony Barrett (The Times)

There can never be a good way for an unbeaten start to the season to come to an end and for leadership of the Barclays Premier League to be given up as a result. Yet it is hard to imagine that there is a worse way than the manner in which a tactically shambolic Liverpool surrendered both in a defeat by Southampton that felt possible, if not inevitable, from the moment that Brendan Rodgers’s team sheet arrived in the visiting team’s dressing room.
“It raised a couple of eyebrows,” Adam Lallana, whose corner set up Dejan Lovren’s decisive headed goal, said.

Diplomacy in victory is admirable but on this occasion it was not required as events had already determined that Rodgers’s team selection would be remembered for all the wrong reasons. After such a promising start to the campaign, this was a setback all of their own making.

The sight of four centre backs lining up across Liverpool’s defence was the greatest reason for the sense of pleasant surprise that spread through the Southampton squad before kick-off. With Kolo Touré and Mamadou Sakho, who had insisted after moving from Paris Saint-Germain to Anfield that he could not play at left back, stationed in the full-back positions, Southampton felt that their chances of preventing Liverpool from playing the ball out from the back had been given a great boost.

“They are a team like us who like to play out from the back and we just played a high-pressing game and felt we won the ball back in areas where we could affect the game,” the impressive Lallana said. “We wanted them to play it long.”
The approach worked a treat, just as it had done six months earlier when Southampton inflicted Liverpool’s previous defeat.

That Liverpool ended the game with only five players still in the same positions in which they started tells its own story, as does the total remodelling of their back four during the course of the 90 minutes.
Rodgers claimed that injuries left him with few options and with Glen Johnson and Aly Cissokho both injured and José Enrique and Martin Kelly considered short of the kind of fitness required to start, there was at least mitigation for the Liverpool manager.

There was also a feeling, though, that he had sacrificed the team shape unnecessarily and undermined his own game plan in the process. Had Rodgers wanted to play an orthodox back four, he could have done so as Andre Wisdom and Jonathan Flanagan, youngsters with Premier League experience, were both overlooked despite being available. Jordan Henderson can also operate at right back, while Raheem Sterling has recent experience in that position.

None of these options are ideal but they did exist, as did the possibility of starting Enrique, who did not seem restricted by the risk of injury after going on as a substitute.

With Iago Aspas still proving too much of a like-for-like replacement for Fabio Borini, who is on loan at Sunderland, it was not only in defence where Liverpool had problems. On Saturday, the squad’s lack of balance was made glaringly apparent. The decision to concentrate most of their resources on bolstering their defence during the transfer window, when Rodgers had spent most of the summer engaged an unsuccessful quest to recruit a No 10, was made to look particularly questionable.

Tellingly, Rodgers said that the decision was a club one. “I think from the club’s perspective we felt like we needed another centre back, and then there was another younger one who became available,” he said. “And that was something that the club wanted to do and protect that position for a number of years. We were on the lookout for a No 10 but were unable to get one. But that’s something we can’t worry so much about now. We just need to work over the next few months.”

None of which tactical intrigue should detract from Southampton’s first win at Anfield in a decade after a performance that highlighted their own growing maturity and ability to execute the strategies put in place by Mauricio Pochettino. The visiting team might not have started the game particularly well, but by the time that it ended they were in total control with Victor Wanyama, Luke Shaw, Lovrens and Lallana all particularly impressive.

“It’s credit to the staff, the players and everyone who works at the club,” Lallana said. “We worked hard on our game plan all week and we executed it brilliantly. The last ten or 15 minutes get a bit edgy when you’re winning. You tend to drop off a little bit deeper and people get tired. But I don’t remember them having a serious chance.”

How quickly Liverpool will recover from such an unexpected setback will determine whether they can remain competitive at the top end of the Premier League. But if there is one certainty, it is that Rodgers will not select four centre backs again in a hurry.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 am

Couldn't find a number 10? Eriksen was screaming out for a move ffs.

He's a better player than Willian too, and we were prepared to offer 3 times the price of Eriksen to bring him in so it wasn't for financial reasons why we didn't get him...
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by vegfootball Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:35 pm

was not sure Brendan Rodgers was right man last season carry on build the winning mentality what  Dalglish had start, it show big time  Rodgers was way over his head last  season & it coast us 4th place, also he made a right mess of  summer transfer window  last year

his tactics would have work down to a T if he read the  squad right last year again big mess there,

this  season summer transfer window, a bit better but what hell who sell/loan 4 central midfielder's ( Shelvey, Spearing,Suso ,Coady)
& hope a past it Gerrard, Allen who yet show he good enough & has injurys,Lucas who need a rest now & then, & i wont count Henderson as Rodgers think he not good as  central midfielder

would carry us all way till jan, just mad & show yet again  Rodgers way over his head been at this club
vegfootball
vegfootball
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4