Arquitecto
Suarez99
rwo power
Vlad the Impaler
Onyx
79 posters

Page 15 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 32  Next

Go down

Champions League 2013/2014 discussion - Page 15 Empty Re: Champions League 2013/2014 discussion

Post by Ciprian Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:31 pm

FFS, Chiriches will not play tonight! Our defense is seriously weakened without him.

Ciprian
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Champions League 2013/2014 discussion - Page 15 Empty Re: Champions League 2013/2014 discussion

Post by S Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:39 pm

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2013/08/27/4215326/arsenal-should-not-be-a-pot-1-team-uefa-must-overhaul?ICID=HP_HN_1

Arsenal should not be a Pot 1 team - Uefa must overhaul ludicrous Champions League draw

Not once in the past five seasons have Arsenal been among the top six teams in the Champions League in coefficient terms. And yet they are currently ranked sixth.
Great article imo.Do you guys agree ? :coffee:
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:57 pm

I agree

reminds me of when BuLi first overtook Serie A

You looked at CL performances and in every department Serie A was doing better. Hell the best that the BuLi had done in recent times was the Bayern final... and who knocked them out? Inter Laughing

Whole thing needs overhauled.

Arsenal are mystically in pot 1, and they end up getting piss easy groups in which to pad their co-eff points some more. And the circle continues.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:02 pm

Arsenal are in pot 1 because they are consistently in Quarter finals.

Only last season were they really not, and lost on away goals to the champs.

Haters gonna hate.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:02 pm

let the haters hate..

we make it past group stages most times.. we deserve it
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:04 pm

secondly, that article is coming from lol.com..

a site that does not even hide it hates for Arsenal, from comments to site bloggers just proper t0sh, I have zero sympathy for anyone who reads that crap
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:04 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:Arsenal are in pot 1 because they are consistently in Quarter finals.

Only last season were they really not, and lost on away goals to the champs.

Haters gonna hate.
They have not been in the quarters for three straight seasons.

Also i get the impression you dint read the whole article where he raises some good points.

Like this one :

To cut three or four seasons from the coefficient totals would be one place to start. The Champions League ranking, based on each qualified team's performances over the past five terms, simply does not accurately reflect the strongest clubs on the continent. It offers too easy a ride for those clubs who have banked 'coefficient credit' over a long number of seasons but whose progress has recently slowed.

Conversely, it fails to acknowledge in any significant way the teams who have recently come to the fore in European competition and who have surpassed, in a contemporary sense, those clubs whose positions in the higher pots are safeguarded due to past performances.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:07 pm

No point reading the article mate.,.

the dude should have a problem with UEFA not Arsenal..

Tomwin Lannister wrote:

Arsenal are mystically in pot 1, and they end up getting piss easy groups in which to pad their co-eff points some more. And the circle continues.
BLA BLAH BLAH

last season, when Arsenal got grouped, i remember people saying we won't make it, same with 2 seasons back when we had BvB.., surprisingly the tone is changing this season?.. wow somebody must be doing a good job.
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:09 pm

i read the article, found some sense in comments

The writer of this article is clearly deluded and living in a world of fantasy...consider these few logical points
1.The competition faced by Manchester United and Arsenal in their domestic league[Tottenham,Liverpool(once a UEFA great),Swansea,Everton and even Newcastle) is wayyyy superior to that faced by their counterparts in the German league and French league..Thus for a team to qualify for the champions league in the EPL it really takes verve and character and to continuously do so for 3 to 4 seasons is really a plus..No disrespect to the other leagues but that is the truth,

2.Despite their faltering performances sometimes it is undisputed that United and Arsenal have been consistent in term of their performance over the past five years compared to the likes of PSG,Dortmund and Malaga..Consider Arsenal beating the eventual winners Bayern and Manchester united losing out to Real Madrid from bad officiating..A story which would have been much different had they progressed through.Juventus would have been deserving of a top spot but considering the scandal that plagued the team in recent times it affected their chances of earning a top spot although they would eventually make it to the top due to their nice input over the past seasons.
Dortmund would eventually get to enjoy much privileges should they be consistent for the next two years which i believe would be fair to them..in that way we can say they have earned their place and not out of a one off stunt they pull in a particular season.

3.Peter's analysis ignores the fact that "Rome was not built in a day"..I mean where were Dortmund and PSG prior to last two seasons?? PSG in particular is able to pull off a good performance after heavy investments [unlike Dortmund who really deserve plaudits for working with a low budget but achieving a lot in terms of team chemistry and brilliance] and he mentions that they deserve a top spot than United who have made no key signing since the departures of Ronaldo,Tevez and Paul Scholes respectively[A huge loss for any team with those players] and yet United reached another final in 2011 without these notable players..Where were PSG,Dortmund and Juventus then?....
You think Goodwill is only earned in a space of 2 years? You must be seriously deluded!!
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:12 pm

aleumdance wrote:No point reading the article mate.,.

the dude should have a problem with UEFA not Arsenal..

Tomwin Lannister wrote:

BLA BLAH BLAH

last season, when Arsenal got grouped, i remember people saying we won't make it, same with 2 seasons back when we had BvB.., surprisingly the tone is changing this season?.. wow somebody must be doing a good job.

Don't do that. It seriously annoys me.

When you take somebody elses opinion, pass it off as my own and use it against me.

I never doubted Arsenal getting through. Because their groups are normally easy, courtest of being in pot 1.

Like I said, the entire system needs an overhaul.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:15 pm

the system is OK

if you ahve been doing well in ur group consistently?

why not be in pot one?

BvB were not even playing UCL 5 years ago, same with Citeh and PSG..

uefa has said, you need 5 years to maintain consistently pot one, when this rule was brought up everyone was cool with it.. now some teams are using it to their advantage its an issue..

surprisingly its lol.com
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by vivabarca38 Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:17 pm

Mole,Arsenal haven't reached the QF for three seasons.
vivabarca38
vivabarca38
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:21 pm

Staunton is talking about how top clubs are protected by their co-efficient ranking earned from their performances of 4-5 years ago,like  Arsenal for example who do consistently make the knockouts but havent done much beside that.Now he says that isnt enough to be ranked as a Pot 1 team and i say he has a point.

If you look at it from another side,we can have more unpredictable and exciting groups with an Arsenal or a United in Pot 2.It will also in turn increase competition among themselves as well as well as other teams in the group rather than having no significant competition in your group by drawing the likes of Olympiakos and Gulati etc every freaking year.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:24 pm

and I will keep saying it..

when UEFA made this rule, WHY DID NO BLOODY JOUNRNALIST COMPLAIN?

MATE, the media hates Arsenal, especially that trash lol.com, and they will stop at nothing..

we don't win any title but yet they give us the attention and loathe us, if arsenal had made the semi's past 2 seasons, that crackpipe will still write that article...

as a Gunner I am used to $hit from so called claimed sport writers, love the hate..

but why did they not complain when the 5 year rule was brought?, did it not look obvious some teams will milk it?

it just hate mate
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:24 pm

It's exactly the other way around. If Arsenal and Man Utd are in pot 2 while Juventus and Dortmund are in pot 1, there won't be a group of death anymore - only two strong sides and two weak sides will be in every group and group stages will become even more boring than they already are.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:26 pm

to make matters even look stupid

typical comment getting high ratings from that article

Any how consitent you are if you finish 4th in your domestic league you do not deserve to be in pot 1, for god sake we all know that arsenal is a laughing stock even in england, they have no history in europe and they still end up in pot 1.
lol.com breeds idiots, so many of them,
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:26 pm

How can you measure how strong a team is in Europe over a two year period, though?

Let's say they were determined after two seasons. In 11/12, Dortmund didn't even qualify from their group. In 12/13, they went all the way to the finals. So how would you rank them? You could argue that they're one the best sides in Europe because they got the final last season, but this year they could be eliminated in the last sixteen or quarter-finals. Would they still be one of the best sides in Europe in that case?

I acknowledge that our performances in the Champions League may not merit a spot in pot one, but moving us down and brining up a team that performed very well the previous tournament wouldn't break that cycle of "top pot = easy group = more coefficients = top pot". It'd just change who benefits from it and ultimately, I don't think there's a way to fairly determine who should and should not benefit from it.

The best solution, for me, is to have a free draw. Retain country protection for the group stages and make it so everybody has an equal chance of drawing everybody. That's probably the fairest you could make the draw.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Ciprian Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Who's "Gulati"?
Ciprian
Ciprian
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Celtic

Back to top Go down

Post by Tomwin Lannister Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:28 pm

That would be fair, but potentially destructive.

Having a strong knock out is more important than strong groups for me

Juve
Barca
Bayern
United.

In a group, that's disgusting. 2 big teams would be out before they even get into the R16 where some random eastern european teams would get through.
Tomwin Lannister
Tomwin Lannister
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:29 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:How can you measure how strong a team is in Europe over a two year period, though?

Let's say they were determined after two seasons. In 11/12, Dortmund didn't even qualify from their group. In 12/13, they went all the way to the finals. So how would you rank them? You could argue that they're one the best sides in Europe because they got the final last season, but this year they could be eliminated in the last sixteen or quarter-finals. Would they still be one of the best sides in Europe in that case?

I acknowledge that our performances in the Champions League may not merit a spot in pot one, but moving us down and brining up a team that performed very well the previous tournament wouldn't break that cycle of "top pot = easy group = more coefficients = top pot". It'd just change who benefits from it and ultimately, I don't think there's a way to fairly determine who should and should not benefit from it.

The best solution, for me, is to have a free draw. Retain country protection for the group stages and make it so everybody has an equal chance of drawing everybody. That's probably the fairest you could make the draw.
mate, never try and reason with a lol.com writer, they are programmed to find new ways to attack Arsenal...

left that site in 2010, never looked back
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by S Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 pm

What exactly constitutes a 'free draw' ? I dont get it.
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by aleumdance Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:36 pm

S wrote:What exactly constitutes a 'free draw' ? I dont get it.
a lottery style of picking teams..
aleumdance
aleumdance
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by 7amood11 Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:51 pm

To be honest I'm all with the pot system. If Arsenal are in Pot 1, it's because they'be been consistently doing well in Europe over the past 5 seasons, and they deserve it.
7amood11
7amood11
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:53 pm

Basically, it would be the same as a domestic cup draw. The chances of drawing a strong team or a weak team would be exactly the same for everybody involved and who you get in the end is entirely dependant on the luck of the draw.

While this sort of system may not result in the best distribution of sides and, by extension, not the best tournament, it would ensure fairness.

It may be a better to just scrap the group stages altogether and have a knock-out style tournament from the start.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:54 pm

So what? Dortmund prevailed even though they were in Pot4. And you can bet Schalke weren't too angry to get Arsenal from Pot1 as it proved a pretty do-able task. You can see things both ways, you know? With weak Pot 1 teams, the Pot 2-4 teams can rejoice for getting something more manageable than the usual suspects.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:06 pm

Arsenal team to play Fenerbahce:

Szczesny

Jenkinson - Sagna - Mertesacker - Monreal

Ramsey - Wilshere

Walcott - Cazorla - Podolski

Giroud

Subs: Fabianski, Koscielny, Gibbs, Frimpong, Rosicky, Miyaichi, Sanogo

Fenerbahce team:

Volkan

Gökhan Gönül - Egemen - Bruno Alves - Caner

Selçuk Şahin - Meireles

Kuyt - Cristian - Sow

Emenike

Subs: Hasan Ali Kaldirim, Bekir Irtegun, Webo, Mert Gunok, Alper Potuk, Mehmet Topuz, Salih Ucan

Last edited by GoonerJay29 on Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 32 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 23 ... 32  Next