+5
Arquitecto
Lex
RealGunner
TalkingReckless
BarrileteCosmico
9 posters

Go down

Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister Empty Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:02 pm

(Reuters) - Some of Italy's top politicians on Saturday rallied behind the country's first black minister, a target of racist slurs since her appointment in April, after a spectator threw bananas at her while she was making a speech.

Integration Minister Cecile Kyenge, who is originally from Democratic Republic of Congo, was appearing at a political rally in Cervia in central Italy on Friday, when someone in the audience threw bananas towards the stage, narrowly missing it.

Kyenge has faced almost daily racial slurs and threats since joining the government. Earlier this month a senator from the anti-immigration Northern League party likened her to an orangutan and only apologized after a storm of criticism.

Last month, a local Northern League councilor said Kyenge should be raped so she understands how victims of crimes committed by immigrants feel. The councilor has received a suspended jail sentence and a temporary ban from public office.

Shortly before Friday's incident, members of the far-right Forza Nuova group left mannequins covered in fake blood near the site of the Democratic Party rally in protest against Kyenge's proposal to make anyone born on Italian soil a citizen.

"Immigration kills," was written on leaflets accompanying the dummies - a slogan Forza Nuova has previously used when referring to murders committed by immigrants in Italy.

However, on Saturday the group denied that one of its members had thrown the bananas. Italian police are trying to identify the culprit.

Kyenge responded to the gesture on Twitter, calling it "sad" and a waste of food.

"The courage and optimism to change things has to come above all from the bottom up to reach the institutions," she added.

Several politicians, including her peers in Prime Minister Enrico Letta's government, responded with messages of support and condemnation on Saturday.

Environment Minister Andrea Orlando said on Twitter he felt "utmost indignation for this lowly act", while Education Minister Maria Chiara Carrozza praised Kyenge for her courage and determination in such a hostile climate.

Veneto region governor Luca Zaia from the Northern League, who is due to participate in an immigration debate with Kyenge in August, also spoke out against the incident on Saturday.

"Throwing bananas, personal insults ... acts like these play no part in the civilized and democratic discussion needed between the minister and those who don't share her opinion," the ANSA news agency quoted him as saying.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister Empty Re: Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister

Post by TalkingReckless Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:09 pm

The VP of Italian Senate called her an orangutan not too long ago

"Italian senator says black minister has 'features of orangutan"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jul/14/italian-senator-roberto-calderoli-cecile-kyenge
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister Empty Re: Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister

Post by RealGunner Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Embarrassing
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 pm

I'm waiting for those that defend this kind of thing in football arguing that they're isolated incidents, when it's quite clearly systematic: a large portion of Italy's population is downright racist.

The fact that politicians who make statements such as the orangutan one or the rape ones hold public office is shocking.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:09 pm

Last month, a local Northern League councilor said Kyenge should be raped so she understands how victims of crimes committed by immigrants feel

Bananas thrown at Italy's first black minister 37040810
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:58 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:I'm waiting for those that defend this kind of thing in football arguing that they're isolated incidents, when it's quite clearly systematic: a large portion of Italy's population is downright racist.

The fact that politicians who make statements such as the orangutan one or the rape ones hold public office is shocking.

You'll just do anything to bring the point of Italian racism won't you?

Even when you ignore the fact that Forza Nuova is a party based on the principles of Mussollini & his fascist regime, despite being critically panned by the whole of Italia.

Just the same stereotype us Basques used to receive when ETA bombed Espana, while we were called terrorists Laughing while it was ignored how much all of us HATED the ETA.

Brilliant.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:31 am

Arquitescu wrote:
BarrileteCosmico wrote:I'm waiting for those that defend this kind of thing in football arguing that they're isolated incidents, when it's quite clearly systematic: a large portion of Italy's population is downright racist.

Even when you ignore the fact that Forza Nuova is a party based on the principles of Mussollini & his fascist regime, despite being critically panned by the whole of Italia.

Just the same stereotype us Basques used to receive when ETA bombed Espana, while we were called terrorists :lol:while it was ignored how much all of us HATED the ETA.

Brilliant.

Isnt BarrileteCosmico of italian descent? I think he mentioned that he was a citizen and had close ties to the country as well
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Yuri Yukuv wrote:
Arquitescu wrote:

Just the same stereotype us Basques used to receive when ETA bombed Espana, while we were called terrorists :lol:while it was ignored how much all of us HATED the ETA.

Brilliant.

Isnt BarrileteCosmico of italian descent? I think he mentioned that he was a citizen and had close ties to the country as well

He is of Italian descent & possibly holds a citizenship of the country yet doesn't hold allegiance to it since any Argentine of Italian descent does not.

As for Gil's thread, since you do think Italia is a backwards disgusting country, you mind proving how it is,Gil?
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Brilliant.
It's not really stereotyping though. I've met some Italians who are 100% against immigration and talk about immigrants as if they were second class citizens (and many more who don't feel this way at all, of course). It's also not only about Forza Nuova, there are politicians in the Lega Nord who have also made strong anti-black statements (and those that have spoken against this, I'll grant you). I bring the subject up because I feel that some users are quick to compartmentalize it to isolated incidents and I think it's a subject worth more attention.

Arq wrote:He is of Italian descent & possibly holds a citizenship of the country yet doesn't hold allegiance to it since any Argentine of Italian descent does not.
Who is stereotyping now? hmm

Correct, I am a citizen and travel there a few times per year.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Yuri Yukuv Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:23 pm

Arquitescu wrote:
He is of Italian descent & possibly holds a citizenship of the country yet doesn't hold allegiance to it since any Argentine of Italian descent does not.

As for Gil's thread, since you do think Italia is a backwards disgusting country, you mind proving how it is,Gil?

Could you please explain what makes you say that Argentines of Italian descent do not hold any allegiance to italy? (I am assuming you mean this in terms of endearment and sympathy, because everyone should hold allegiance to the country that they are a citizen and resident of)

Most Argentines from Italian descent that I have met seemed to be pretty proud of their heritage, only case of diaspora I have seen which is proud of its heritage but does not have much sympathy for their country is the Cubans I cant imagine this case being the same.
Yuri Yukuv
Yuri Yukuv
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Alfred wrote:It's not really stereotyping though. I've met some Italians who are 100% against immigration and talk about immigrants as if they were second class citizens (and many more who don't feel this way at all, of course). It's also not only about Forza Nuova, there are politicians in the Lega Nord who have also made strong anti-black statements (and those that have spoken against this, I'll grant you). I bring the subject up because I feel that some users are quick to compartmentalize it to isolated incidents and I think it's a subject worth more attention.

Yet the point that stands is that this incident was caused by the Forza Nuova, who would be the "Laziale d'Italia" (Lazio of Politicians) and are generally a substantial target of hate from North & South of Italia. I mean their leaders don't even have any credentials outside their political spiel and aren't even looked as a proper political party.

Yes, statements have been made by Lega Nord yet most of them are those old Italiani who were descent of the Patrone Fascists from WWII and generally butt of most jokes.

The Italian problem is that they stereotype based on some humour cultures too much on races. Yet discrimination and racism is the extreme, to which isn't the case. I grew up in Brescia and saw Black-Italiani treated as our own, as were the (very) minor Asian & Brown populations.

South is even better since an accepted amalgamation of races to which has even contributed to the gene pool. Whether in politics or work stations or public, you will mostly see banal stereotyping yet that was mostly from the very old generation and is non-existent within the new, aside from the hooligans who are known to be an annoyance with their neo-fascist beliefs. But they are simply undergoing an identity crisis.

Racism EXISTS in Italia, yet not in the general populace but more isolated groups and fading generations who carried that annoying stereotype mentality.

Alfred wrote:Who is stereotyping now? hmm

I do remember in Argentina expecting much allegiance from Italo-Argentines onto their old country of descent yet was surprised as to their indifferent attitude. They acknowledged and were learned of their old culture, yet I saw little to no allegiance to Italia from Argentines.

That comment wasn't meant to be declarative enough to the general, but from most of what I've seen.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Yet, Lega Nord, which is pretty much an openly racist party, does get a lot of votes. And they're not just laughed at, as you put it. They actually get elected, time and time again. I know Gil is overdoing it when he's painting Italy as a racist backwater, but there is an endemic problem with racism there.

Most European countries have huge problems with wide spread racism, but in the mediterranean countries, the "answer" often seems to be denial. At least in the North, where people are just as ignorant, societies seem to adress the problem.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Arq when my father was 8 years old in the 50s he was made to stand up in front of his class in primary school. The professor went on to enumerate how due to his chestnut hair, fair skin, facial structure, green eyes, good height and other such traits he was the most representative specimen of the aryan race in his class. It was a very high compliment and my father took it as such until he was old enough to understand. But I'm sure this teacher, and others like him, were fairly common at his time and many passed on these values to their kids and grandchildren. I agree that its probably more common in the older people, but look at the political class in italy, they are almost all of that age.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:50 am

I've only been to Italy once and that trip taught me that most Italians are assholes, (horrid stereotyping I know, but I honestly felt that way during the trip) therefore this is not that much of a surprise to me.
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:01 am

TheRedStag wrote:I've only been to Italy once and that trip taught me that most Italians are assholes, (horrid stereotyping I know, but I honestly felt that way during the trip) therefore this is not that much of a surprise to me.

Where in Italy? Italy is too general of a term. There is a difference between saying the town drunks in Caserta or the teachers at the University of Pisa hmm
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down