RealGunner
Gil
jibers
Firenze
RED
34 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child. - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child.

Post by Lex Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:43 pm

Gil wrote:Ronaldo appeals to the gay community, pop culture and the female contingent.

Messi doesn't
I must've hit my head and imagined all those Pepsi adverts and the vs Kobe Bryant airline advert, as well as numerous global Adidas commercials

Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child. - Page 3 Empty Re: Gareth Bale- The BPL's poster child.

Post by CBarca Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:46 pm

Literally everyone knows who ronaldo is... trust me..

I don't know if you live somewhere where everyone loves and watches football or something, but...

rofl

If I went around my entire school and asked how many of them knew who Ronaldo was, I can guarantee I would get under 50% and probably closer to 33% being able to answer who he is.

I'm being honest too. I live here. Not everyone knows who Ronaldo is Laughing
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:56 pm

CBarca wrote:

I don't know if you live somewhere where everyone loves and watches football or something, but...

rofl

If I went around my entire school and asked how many of them knew who Ronaldo was, I can guarantee I would get under 50% and probably closer to 33% being able to answer who he is.

None would know the real one either Sad 
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:40 pm

If i went around my city and asked people more would know Ronaldo then Messi....but then again my city has a high population of portuguese :coffee:

city of 120,000 people and about 30% portuguese....we literally have an area called little portugal, streets are name Lisbon and such. I'm in Canada for the record
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:00 pm

jibers wrote:
RED wrote:
jibers wrote:LOL. Face indeed. The prem has no 'star' power. Bar Ronaldo and Messi football has no stars atm. Bale is being force fed to everyone, but let's be honest here. The EPL is in decline.

No it's not. If you're judging it in terms of the CL, then maybe....but I call it a bad year. For instance we were one bad call away from atleast reaching the semi's....maybe even the final. And Chelsea did win the EL.

As for the league itself, I think it's more of a level playing than it's ever been, and with the new TV income small clubs will get, it will be even more competitive.

So competitive that City needed a Sheikh to compete with United and Chelsea. So competitive that we ran away with the league last season. EL is a mickey mouse cup. EPL is behind BUndesliga and La LIga and is slightly ahead of Serie A, but not for long. The star power is waning.

The problem is not the star power. EPL still buys the best talent than the other leagues. The problem is that the other leagues have better youth structures. So they get allot done with "not big name super stars" imo since they are constantly developing players. Also the managers of the EPL aren't getting the best out of there players. They end up getting them to play the EPL way. I mean how the hell did City not get out of the groups by now with all those players? yes they are money hungry players there, but they are also very talented and obviously want a UCL trophy.Just not long ago Bilbao ran circles all over United....with not even half the star power.

I kind of see the EPL vs other leagues as a good comparison to boxing. I love boxing, and one example I use is people love watching fighters that just bang and go all out like a Gatti or Donaire. Yet people will find a super technical boxer like Rigadeux boring or Mayweather. I see the EPL as a Gatti/Donaire type. Fast paced, fun to watch, something is always happening with a great environment and people yelling and going nuts over all the action. Then you have the slow paced, SUPER technical boxers like Mayweather/Rigadeux which you could say are the other big leagues. They focus on technique and craft to get the results. People find them boring

What happened when you put Rigadeux vs Donaire or Mayweather vs Gatti? Easy wins for the Mayweather/Rigo.....at the end of the day if your foundation is technique over running action then the technical guys is always going to have that edge to win while the other fighter will come out with just a punchers chance. Just an anology I see as a parrallel with European leagues.

parden my english, spanish if my first langue btw Smile
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by windkick Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:01 pm

CBarca wrote:

rofl

If people don't know Ronaldo (Cristiano), they will assume your are talking about Ronaldo (R9). Between the both of them...people know of A RONALDO in footy lol

Dinho was/is pretty damn famous and known
windkick
windkick
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Donuts Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:41 pm

In Mexico secondary school, Ronaldinho was used in a math word problem :wub: :wub: 
Giggity takes so much pride in CR7 being known by girls I find it rather hilarious as if it's him getting laid.
you act like the popular guys nerdy best friend who brags about his buddy getting all the girls.. no one cares in the end.
Donuts
Donuts
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC Basel

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:58 pm

I miss the early and mid 2000's .

We only got 2 big stars in football now , how boring
LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Donuts wrote:In Mexico secondary school, Ronaldinho was used in a math word problem :wub: :wub: 
Giggity takes so much pride in CR7 being known by girls I find it rather hilarious as if it's him getting laid.
you act like the popular guys nerdy best friend who brags about his buddy getting all the girls.. no one cares in the end.

look, first of all im not talking about who is the better player

2nd of all ive asked tons of people who they know in football, 80% of people DON'T FOLLOW the game.. jeez

Honestly all im saying is that when i asked the female population about football i hear cr. where this pride shit is coming from.. no idea..

and donuts ffs you don't know me lol. far from a "nerdy best friend".. and I don't act like a suck up lol

anyways this thread is about bale ffs. pls lets stay on topic
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by VendettaRed07 Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:57 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:Every girl i talked to knows who CR7 is.. (a lot of girls)
there is no confusion with "fat" ronaldo and CR
There totally is, from my experience. When people hear "Ronaldo" I think a lot of americans just instantly think "soccer player", because of what both of them contributed to the sport and their names have been thrown around so much

Even my brother a couple of years ago texted me and said "dude, Cristiano Ronaldo just retired" lol
VendettaRed07
VendettaRed07
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:43 am

CBarca wrote:

rofl

If you went to someone in Florida and asked them what was a cheese curd you would get the same response :coffee: 
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:38 am

This thread is a strong contender for dumbest thread I've ever read on GL

"most americans" "50%" "almost everyone" "common people" "everyone in the US" "33%" "75% of the people in the US" "every girl I talked to" "literally everyone"

you're all just pulling shit out of your assholes.

While were at it, I have a fun game you can all play where you try to guess randomly at an unknown outcome, its called russian roulette!! I promise you'll love it!!!

now please excuse me while I go chug bleach in an attempt to erase this thread from my memory

Edit: In my rage I forgot to mention - Bale Proud NBCSports Proud August 17th banana
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:01 am

In Australia, Ronaldo is much, much more recognisable than Messi from the POV of a non-football fan. Messi, Balotelli, Rooney and RVP are well-known, but not to the level of CR. Bale is not well-known at all and Neymar is virtually unheard of in non-footballing circles. David Beckham is still, by a long, long, long way, the most famous international footballer in Australia. Everyone knows Ronaldinho too (and obviously ADP because he plays here).
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3