Alsteinenburg
Busby Babe
nj
96 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

The TV Series Thread - Page 11 Empty Re: The TV Series Thread

Post by RED Mon May 14, 2012 5:43 pm

Dexter is unbelievably good. My word, that 2nd season is up there with anything The Wire and The Sopranos has to offer.

Had me going "oh sh**" after every episode.

RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by goonbrain Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 pm

RED 80s. wrote:Dexter is unbelievably good. My word, that 2nd season is up there with anything The Wire and The Sopranos has to offer.

Me too...i loved it when Doakes and Dexter decided to take their relationship to the next level Very Happy
goonbrain
goonbrain
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Mon May 14, 2012 6:06 pm

Le Samourai wrote:Rome is the best Historical Drama I've ever seen, probably the best tv series I've ever seen.

2nd Season was rushed through because of impending cancellation though.

Deadwood :vagi:
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Mon May 14, 2012 9:52 pm

goonbrain wrote:
RED 80s. wrote:Dexter is unbelievably good. My word, that 2nd season is up there with anything The Wire and The Sopranos has to offer.

Me too...i loved it when Doakes and Dexter decided to take their relationship to the next level Very Happy

Haha. Truly epic. Fantastic writing, pacing and suspense.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Mon May 14, 2012 10:17 pm

If you loved the 1st and 2nd seasons of Dexter, wait til the 4th. : o For me it's like this: 4, 1, 2, 6, 3, 5.

Trinity >

Last edited by dmize on Tue May 15, 2012 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Mon May 14, 2012 11:36 pm

McLewis wrote:
Le Samourai wrote:Rome is the best Historical Drama I've ever seen, probably the best tv series I've ever seen.

2nd Season was rushed through because of impending cancellation though.

Deadwood :vagi:

This
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Tue May 15, 2012 6:06 am

Agree with Trinity > All. Although the 2nd season was fairly intense as well. Season 6 was slightly disappointing but that's because I expected too much from Adama ( so say we all ! )

Watched the Sopranos all over again.

In my opinion, it's quite easily one of the most overrated shows out there. And the final season was an absolute mess. Moving on to the Wire and Oz this summer. Hopefully better things await.

Any thoughts on Boardwalk Empire ? I'm saving that for next year. Also going to start Hell on Wheels to somehow satisfy my Deadwood lust. Definitely not expecting much though
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Tue May 15, 2012 6:08 am

Luca wrote:Started watching Blue Mountain State after I caught it on tv the other day.
Really funny show, leaves something to be desired but very comical.

It's like American Pie/Van Wilder type comedy in a tv series, mixed with American football

BMS is great for laughs. Actually stumbled upon it by accident and just watched it for the fine tail on display. Very funny show. And very hot chics

Also, there's a new HBO show called "Girls" which shows a lot of promise so far. Especially recommended for those of us 20+ . If you like awkward comedy like eastbound, mr. d, it's always sunny, then you'd wanna check this out
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Vibe Tue May 15, 2012 6:41 am

Been watching Falling Skies..Meh.

Although it did get a bit better recently,I'm up to S1E8.
Vibe
Vibe
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by FCBarça Tue May 15, 2012 6:46 am

Really gutted about NBC canceling Awake...Yet another excellent series bites the proverbial dust for being too smart for network television...Would love it if it gets a shot with HBO or SHO
FCBarça
FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue May 15, 2012 7:03 am

The Lizard King wrote:Agree with Trinity > All. Although the 2nd season was fairly intense as well. Season 6 was slightly disappointing but that's because I expected too much from Adama ( so say we all ! )

Watched the Sopranos all over again.

In my opinion, it's quite easily one of the most overrated shows out there. And the final season was an absolute mess. Moving on to the Wire and Oz this summer. Hopefully better things await.

Any thoughts on Boardwalk Empire ? I'm saving that for next year. Also going to start Hell on Wheels to somehow satisfy my Deadwood lust. Definitely not expecting much though

Sopranos did overstay its welcome, way too long and could be outdated but still it was milestone for HBO and set up crime/drama show.

Boardwalk Empire is good, great cast, typical HBO standard. However,HBO overdid a bit just like other shows recently, more frontal nudity, more twisted, more violence and well, more *bleep* up. I know it's their things but some are borderline exploitation. Like incest is the new thing now, every mature content suddenly needs incest. Still it's great show and well worth a watch.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue May 15, 2012 7:08 am

FCBarça wrote:Really gutted about NBC canceling Awake...Yet another excellent series bites the proverbial dust for being too smart for network television...Would love it if it gets a shot with HBO or SHO

Awake got same treatment as Rubicon & Terrier, all excellent but too out of place for their own good.

Meanwhile, Whitney got renewed and soon to be 2 and half men...
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FCBarça Tue May 15, 2012 7:18 am

Twoism wrote:Awake got same treatment as Rubicon & Terrier, all excellent but too out of place for their own good.

Yep, Terriers was great as well...Stranger with that cancellation since it was FX which has a reputation for more risk taking than say NBC

Whitney, is ok, and I understand why it survives...I'm all for female centric series getting a shot, too...But 2 and a half men, again?...It's just the dummying down of TV to appeal to middle America, real shame
FCBarça
FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue May 15, 2012 7:32 am

Watching all of MST3K again... fantastic show that didn't get the respect it deserved from the networks it was on.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Tue May 15, 2012 7:41 am

Twoism wrote:
FCBarça wrote:Really gutted about NBC canceling Awake...Yet another excellent series bites the proverbial dust for being too smart for network television...Would love it if it gets a shot with HBO or SHO

Awake got same treatment as Rubicon & Terrier, all excellent but too out of place for their own good.

Weak..I had Awake on my list of shows to watch this summer. I might still give it a run since quality shows are pretty rare these days. Another cancelled show I'm gna watch is Jericho. I love my post apocalyptic plots and if anyone's seen it, input would be appreciated.

I'm also gna check out Taken : The Mini Series because I always saw it on Tv when I was a kid, but was never allowed to stay that late. Keeping with sci fi, im a little interested in warehouse 13 as well but mainly because it has 4 seasons.

I'm facing a severe shortage of good shows to watch so I'm readjusting my bar and compromising on a few shows that aren't blatantly stupid. Aside from that, I also have lined up - "Fresh Meat" British college show similar to undeclared and inbetweeners , wonderfalls ( another cancelled show ), fringe , misfits, and "the universe" which is a pretty sweet astronomy documentary series.

If you guys know any criminally underrated shows, do lemme know. I tried Terriers but I'm really not into the whole "case/conflict gets solved at the end of every episode " shows. Nothing against it, but it's not for me
The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 15, 2012 7:46 am

FCBarça wrote:
Twoism wrote:Awake got same treatment as Rubicon & Terrier, all excellent but too out of place for their own good.

Yep, Terriers was great as well...Stranger with that cancellation since it was FX which has a reputation for more risk taking than say NBC

Whitney, is ok, and I understand why it survives...I'm all for female centric series getting a shot, too...But 2 and a half men, again?...It's just the dummying down of TV to appeal to middle America, real shame

Terriers was f*cking entertaining, FX couldn't promote anything to save their life. No one has heard of this show because of the idiots that work in the promotion/campaign department at FX :facepalm: Seriously though, some other network needs to pick up this show, they can make tons of money off of it with proper promoting.

Last edited by Messiah "Aggerswagger" on Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue May 15, 2012 7:51 am

The Lizard King wrote:
Twoism wrote:

Weak..I had Awake on my list of shows to watch this summer. I might still give it a run since quality shows are pretty rare these days. Another cancelled show I'm gna watch is Jericho. I love my post apocalyptic plots and if anyone's seen it, input would be appreciated.

I'm also gna check out Taken : The Mini Series because I always saw it on Tv when I was a kid, but was never allowed to stay that late. Keeping with sci fi, im a little interested in warehouse 13 as well but mainly because it has 4 seasons.

I'm facing a severe shortage of good shows to watch so I'm readjusting my bar and compromising on a few shows that aren't blatantly stupid. Aside from that, I also have lined up - "Fresh Meat" British college show similar to undeclared and inbetweeners , wonderfalls ( another cancelled show ), fringe , misfits, and "the universe" which is a pretty sweet astronomy documentary series.

If you guys know any criminally underrated shows, do lemme know. I tried Terriers but I'm really not into the whole "case/conflict gets solved at the end of every episode " shows. Nothing against it, but it's not for me

Watch Fringe, if you haven't yet. It'll BLOW your mind. The first 15-18 episodes of the first season are pretty episodic, but after that it gets more serialized and everything starts to fall right into place.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by FCBarça Tue May 15, 2012 7:52 am

The Lizard King wrote:Weak..I had Awake on my list of shows to watch this summer. I might still give it a run since quality shows are pretty rare these days. Another cancelled show I'm gna watch is Jericho. I love my post apocalyptic plots and if anyone's seen it, input would be appreciated.

There are two more episodes for Awake, or a double Finale as I understand it...I read comments from the show's creator and he said loyal viewers will be happy with the ending...I'd recommend either way because it's a terrific showcase of Isaac's talents as well as the supporting actors - I thought so anyway

I have yet to watch Season 2 of Jericho but I did enjoy Season 1

The Lizard King wrote:If you guys know any criminally underrated shows, do lemme know. I tried Terriers but I'm really not into the whole "case/conflict gets solved at the end of every episode " shows. Nothing against it, but it's not for me

Shame, I did like Terriers...Have you seen or heard much about the UK's Sherlock series?...I think it's without question, best writing in a series

First couple of seasons of United States of Tara was quite good...And if you've never seen HBO's Carnivale, it might be something to check out - I loved it and there is a cult following for it

Justified from FX, I remain pretty loyal to it despite not enjoying violence

Last edited by FCBarça on Tue May 15, 2012 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
FCBarça
FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by FCBarça Tue May 15, 2012 7:54 am

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:Watch Fringe, if you haven't yet. It'll BLOW your mind. The first 15-18 episodes of the first season are pretty episodic, but after that it gets more serialized and everything starts to fall right into place.

First couple of seasons were quite interesting but JJ has created a major problem in Hollywood, for me...Stories that really are incomplete and invariably get Lost beyond the initial yet genius premise...It feels like writers are just writing in the dark at times...I have yet to finish season 4 because it has become so convoluted that only but the very diehard have likely stuck with it
FCBarça
FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue May 15, 2012 8:11 am

The Lizard King wrote:
Twoism wrote:

Really ? I though you would enjoy it since you're fan of El Duderino smoking the two main characters interaction feels like The Dude & Walter, although their detective work is much more conventional.

One show I really like but went under radar a bit is Psychoville, from the same guys who made The League of Gentlemen. Dark, twisted humor and brilliant showcase of talent, it also has one of the best TV episodes I've watched, "David & Maureen" S01-E04.

MST3k like Red mentioned was also great, kept me entertained through 4 years in uni. My favorite episode

Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FCBarça Tue May 15, 2012 8:26 am

Psychoville, brilliant...Good shout, that was a terrific dark comedy in the UK's style...Never did get around to watching Series 2 of it, was it as good?
FCBarça
FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Twoism Tue May 15, 2012 8:32 am

Yeah, it maintains its quality, well worth checking out. I think it's scheduled for 3rd season.
Twoism
Twoism
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Lizard King Tue May 15, 2012 8:46 am

Ok the first joke in tht MST3K joke killed me. And i'm sold already. Seriously man..this is hilarious stuff. Also, it was nothing personal with terriers or the show itself ( i like the guy since i used to watch him in grounded for life ), just the fact that it didn't show scope for a constantly evolving storyline. You know, extreme case scenarios of such shows would be csi , burn notice , and by extension maybe even eureka ? Again, just a personal bias

@fcbarca - Justified isn't bad, but it gave away the same vibe as terriers. Again, not saying that it's a bad show. But I'd only watch em if I have nothing else to watch.

Now that you guys spoke so highly of Terriers I figure that I'd might as well give it another shot. Sherlock as well. And maybe even Justified. Long summer ahead. Lots of time to be spent indoors.

Psychoville may not be my cup of tea but I'll give it a shot if I'm all out. Dark, twisted shows really mess me up sometimes. Like Carnivale. Watching that show fked me up. I dunno wht it was but the entire set up of the dust bowl and poverty stricken towns and villages..tht was an intensely convincing atmosphere. Same goes for Walking Dead. Didn't mess me up, but the atmosphere was immersive as fk. Key to all this was that I wasn't following these shows, instead watching them when they were complete. And I got to watch episodes consecutively without having to watit. So i'm sure that was a factor. But with shows like Deadwood, Battletstar, Lost and Walking Dead, it turned out fking great. Wish I waited for Dexter to be done with six seasons and I'd have one intense summer awaiting me where I could turn into a potential psycho. That's television I would pay for.

American Horror Story is something I feel might have been ruined for me because I was watching it week by week, so I might give it another go. Also that maid is tight. Big plus

The Lizard King
The Lizard King
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Tue May 15, 2012 6:46 pm

Though Community did get renewed for a 4th season, NBC moved it to Friday nights....that's basically the graveyard where past great shows go to die. We won't be seeing a 5th unless the writers pick it up. It's been pretty lacklustre thus far.

I'm currently watching Game of Thrones and the Borgias mainly. Need to catch up on Mad Men though and I also began watching Once Upon A Time and Eureka, but fell behind on both as well. Want to pick up NCIS again too.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Tue May 15, 2012 8:08 pm

Mad Men's new season was poor for all of 17 mins and then after Bsiou Bsiou it has been GOAT.
Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Tue May 15, 2012 8:11 pm

someone recommend me a good British comedy...not any mainstream ones
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team