Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports

4 posters

Go down

Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports Empty Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:36 pm

Came out in an article in Sports Illustrated, also on the cover of the upcoming issue

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-nba-player/#ixzz2Rrh8O559

cba copy-pasting cause its a long article - historical moment though, for sure

Here's the cover:

Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports BJB1uPrCMAAx9HM

Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports Empty Re: Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports

Post by dmize Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:32 pm

Indeed, props to him for having that courage.

Seen nothing but support so far for him too, which is very cool. I don't think it'd be the same in the NFL. From Kobe, Nash, Van Exel, Baron Davis, Kenneth Faried, Michael Strahan, tons of others.

edit: 15min after I type that I found out an NFL player(Mike Wallace) made a negative, and frankly ignorant, comment. :facepalm:

Last edited by dmize on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/#!/dmizee

Back to top Go down

Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports Empty Re: Jason Collins comes out as first openly gay player in major U.S Sports

Post by McAgger Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:06 pm

Great amount of courage to do this. Kudos to him. Might encourage other athletes who are afraid to come out as well.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:57 pm

Chris Broussard and Mark Jackson SMH

Broussards' take(he said this on ESPN too):
"“If you’re openly living in unrepentant sin, whatever it may be, not just homosexuality, (but) adultery, fornication, premarital sex between heterosexuals … I believe that’s walking in open rebellion to God and to Jesus Christ,” Broussard said. “I would not characterize that person as a Christian, because I don’t think the Bible would characterize them as a Christian.”"

Mark Jackson:
"Jackson: “As a Christian man I have beliefs of what’s right and what’s wrong, that being said, I know Jason Collins, I know his family and I'll be praying for them"

Ah yes, nothing like the book of fairy tales to tell you what's right or wrong. I wonder, as African-Americans, what's their stance on Exodus 21:20 which basically says if a slaveowner beats a slave and he doesn't die within a couple days, the owner won't be punished because that's his property. Or do they just pick and choose which sections to follow?

Embarrassing for the NBA.
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:45 pm

Picking and choosing which sections to follow is basically Christianity 101, I mean have you READ whats in the Old Testament?! Laughing

In any case, Broussard said that?!? Shocked Thats straight up nutty

On the bright side, with the exception of the usual group of RWNJs etc, reaction that I've seen so far has been overwhelmingly positive

My main man Kobe got out in front of the whole story very early, which is great considering the pull he has in the league
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by dmize Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:37 am

Swanhends wrote:Picking and choosing which sections to follow is basically Christianity 101, I mean have you READ whats in the Old Testament?! Laughing

On the bright side, with the exception of the usual group of RWNJs etc, reaction that I've seen so far has been overwhelmingly positive

My main man Kobe got out in front of the whole story very early, which is great considering the pull he has in the league

No I haven't lol. But true, that's their MO.

Here's a good read with a lot of different positive reactions:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/magazine/news/20130429/jason-collins-reveals-gay-nba-reaction/?sct=hp_t2_a2&eref=sihp
dmize
dmize
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:36 am

Huge respect for his show of courage in coming out like this. Its a bit sad that it's still such big news, but at least it's a step toward proper equality. Maybe Robbie Rogers will reconsider his decision to retire now... lord knows Chicago could use him at the moment.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed May 01, 2013 1:30 am

Speak of the devil RedO, he's training with Galaxy.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Wed May 01, 2013 1:50 am

Messiah "Aggerswagger" wrote:Speak of the devil RedO, he's training with Galaxy.
I saw. It's all a bit disappointing, actually. He basically scoffed at the news that Chicago gained his MLS rights from Columbus and then announced his retirement saying he didn't believe his teammates would accept him once he came out... and now he's visiting with the Galaxy rather than, say, the Fire. Even though multiple players and the manager made statements following his announcement that the door was open to him if he wished to reconsider his choice or keep in touch with the game. Bit of a smack in the face to the Fire, honestly.

But this isn't the thread for that.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down