VivaStPauli
Great Leader Sprucenuce
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mats Hummels Empty Mats Hummels

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:17 pm

What is your honest opinion of him?

Now i have posted it here because i want no trolling.

Everyone knows he made a poor pass which led to Madrid's goal but other than that i felt he was outstanding.

Nothing was going through him and his playmaking from the back pushed Madrid back and this is a consistent theme with Hummels and has been a for a long time.

He's been fantastic for 99% of this CL campaign and we saw how Dortmund struggled without him i really don't understand the feeling about him that he's overrated and a poor mans Pique.

Its a lot of crap, he's been one of the best CBs in the world for a while now and a poor pass doesn't change that.

Absolutely ridiculous that one poor pass is being taken away from another fantastic performance.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Mats Hummels Empty Re: Mats Hummels

Post by VivaStPauli Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:30 pm

He made a dumb mistake, but it was his first match in a while after his injury, people make mistakes when they lack rhythm. It's too bad it got instantly punished, but imho he played a great 2nd half, hardly misplaced any more passes, and defused a couple of situations with great composure.

I think he's still on the fast-track to world class, and I personally rate him higher than Pique because he's got better defensive composure and physicality.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:33 pm

"There were 10 great BVB players out there" he said last night Sad

I don't agree with him though he had a fantastic game apart from THAT one bad mistake, and it wasn't even a tactical mistake or poor positioning or something which would make someone doubt about his abilities, it was a misplaced pass which can happen to everyone, Thiago Silva the greatest defender right now did a similar mistake against Arsenal at the Emirates. It's not such a big deal really.

I'm hopeful he stays at Dortmund atleast till after the World Cup because I'm sure one of the big boys will snatch him if he continues playing like this.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:17 pm

Whats the point of having a great overall game and then make a mistake?thats how it normally goes with him.

To me what makes a defender great is committing the least number of mistakes.The main problem is that he seems to have these brainfarts mainly in big matches ...

I still rate him very highly though
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaladin Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:34 am

Very much agree with Mole, he has been fantastic every time I see him. My only concern is sometimes his mistakes get the better of him. Still he's one of the finest CB's in my book, he can only improve from here on out
Kaladin
Kaladin
Stormblessed

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:57 am

Much like Luiz hes a world calss defender on his day, but hes prone to making stupid errors like the one against Madrid. Of course in the RM game he was just back form injury and out of sync with the team as said earlier (and he was unlucky his only one real error for the game was punished so severly) but its not the first time we've seen him make dumb mistakes like that.

Still a great CB though and would easily get game time at any club in the world.

On a side note that quote Urban posted would be a bit concerning for a manager too, the last thing you want is stuff like that to mess with a players head
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffer Harley Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:51 am

after his two blunders in semi finals he has to show that he isn't error prone in big matches. i'm his biggest fan but he really needs to get that stuff under control.

like neuer though, he interprets his position in an offensive and more riskier way. so he s gonna have a blunder every now and then, but it'd be better if it happend against fürth rather than real madrid or italy. just a mental thing, everybody knows he can do it.
Toffer Harley
Toffer Harley
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Wolfsburg

Back to top Go down

Post by Zlatan Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Hummels has been inconsistent this season, for the previous two he's been one of the top 3-5 defenders in the world.

He made a blunder against Shakhtar too, iirc. And was also at fault for a lot of goals in the first half of the league season, when Dortmund weren't getting the results they wanted.

He's as error prone as Subotic, the mere fact that his playmaking skills are super good for a center back makes people ignore his mistakes, just like wednesday. It doesn't matter how good he is on the ball, he is a defender whose primary job is to defend, the playmaking from the back is all secondary and becomes futile if he isn't consistently great at defending.

Zlatan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Zlatan wrote:Hummels has been inconsistent this season, for the previous two he's been one of the top 3-5 defenders in the world.

He made a blunder against Shakhtar too, iirc. And was also at fault for a lot of goals in the first half of the league season, when Dortmund weren't getting the results they wanted.

He's as error prone as Subotic, the mere fact that his playmaking skills are super good for a center back makes people ignore his mistakes, just like wednesday. It doesn't matter how good he is on the ball, he is a defender whose primary job is to defend, the playmaking from the back is all secondary and becomes futile if he isn't consistently great at defending.

He is consistently great at defending though..... ironically its his distribution that gets him into trouble.

Aside from his sloppy pass which led to CRs goal can we really name any instance over the 90 mins where he looked troubled? i can't.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:10 pm

Good defender. Like Neuer, has a blunder that can cost his team at the biggest moment.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Zlatan Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Great Leader Sprucenuce wrote:
Zlatan wrote:Hummels has been inconsistent this season, for the previous two he's been one of the top 3-5 defenders in the world.

He is consistently great at defending though..... ironically its his distribution that gets him into trouble.

Aside from his sloppy pass which led to CRs goal can we really name any instance over the 90 mins where he looked troubled? i can't.

Maybe I should have read the OP more clearly, but my post was based on his overall play and not just the madrid game.

Zlatan
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:18 pm

Fantastic defender, problem is that hes very good with the ball, to the point where he becomes overconfident with it, and things happen like what happenned Wednesday. Once in a while he also has concentration problems but the last time I saw something really bad from him which came from unconcentration was last season against Marseille. Overall though hes an amazing defender, Top 3 in the world when on his game in my opinion.
juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:23 pm

He is good, but perhaps because he got overrated to the point where he is now underrated.

Hie mistake he made, if other guys made it....they would get totally killed and the rest of what they do, basically ignored. Most know I ain't one to stick up for Ramos...but someone like him gets totally killed from lesser errors and his attempts to make up for it, pretty irrelevant, damage is done. Only difference was his team went on to dominate.

Nothing really impressive by shackling Higuain for the rest of the game to be honest, it was easy work considering how the game played out. At no point was he troubled.

What do I think of him? A pretty good defender, but I really don't see something overly special, mistake aside.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:30 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Hie mistake he made, if other guys made it....they would get totally killed and the rest of what they do, basically ignored. Most know I ain't one to stick up for Ramos...but someone like him gets totally killed from lesser errors and his attempts to make up for it, pretty irrelevant, damage is done. Only difference was his team went on to dominate.
No one rates the likes of Ramos and CBs who commit these mistakes above him.Im pretty sure that most football fans think he is top 5 but what i think people are trying to say is that the fact he keeps committing these mistakes (specially on big games) is what is keeping him from being rated even higher
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:09 pm

Sure, I agree with that. Just trying to say an error like that, for me, I can't just brush it under a rug and say the rest of the game he was very good....don't cut t for me. And it's not the first error I ever seen from this guy.

The times I see Hummels, either he doesn't have much to do (not his fault) or he makes an error...not always, and perhaps I'm unlucky, but it's he norm I see.

And I think context is important. Dortmund go in to draw 1-1 at home, his error is seen as a much bigger deal.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by futbol Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:56 am

He is a Pique clone IMO. Very good footballer, okayish defender. Would be best suited to play alongside an aggressive, athletic and fast warrior type of defender à la Thiago Silva so he can sweep up behind him.

I think he'll cut out the mistakes in 2 or 3 years with more experience. 24 is still young for a defender. He just burst onto the scene 2 years ago. Barca should replace Pique with him. He is Pique without the Shakira baggage.

futbol
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Effzeh Kölle

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffer Harley Wed May 01, 2013 2:51 am

outstanding performance yesterday
Toffer Harley
Toffer Harley
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Wed May 01, 2013 11:55 am

Reminds me of a prime Ferdinand or so.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sat May 11, 2013 6:11 am

He will get killed once he move to a big club. The mistakes he makes are usually (huge) blunders and is not getting criticized just because BVB are every ones love child.
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffer Harley Sat May 11, 2013 5:11 pm

oddly enough his blunders are mentioned all the time. actually they are rather overemphasized as 95% of this forum only seem to remember them or don't watch hummels on a constant basis.

the result are opinions like the one above..
Toffer Harley
Toffer Harley
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat May 11, 2013 8:12 pm

And those blunders seem pretty rare to me, given that I watch most of his matches. I actually think his defensive composure is awesome. Those occasional brainfarts aren't that atypical of a player his age.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Adit Sat May 25, 2013 8:36 pm

Wow what a surprise!!! another Hummels unforced huge blunder in a big game. Only for Chokbben to shoot it at GK's face Laughing
Adit
Adit
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

http://www.realmadridfootballblog.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Milantildeath Sat May 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Hummels is a good center back, certainly solid. I think Subotic is the more solid of the two Dortmund center backs. You don't hear much about him because no one is running at him. Subotic is great in the air, solid on the tackle, and his positioning is always great.
Milantildeath
Milantildeath
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Ganso Sat May 25, 2013 8:44 pm

this is what i have been saying,the guy makes a mistake that leads to a goal so many times in big games.Hes lucky that was Robben and not Muller
Ganso
Ganso
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Sun May 26, 2013 10:02 pm

Players like this are so difficult to assess. On the one hand his distribution is exquisite and for that reason alone you can't help but appreciate his game, but from the little I've watched you get the feeling he's an auxiliary partner when Dortmund isn't on the ball. I wouldn't go so far as to call him a liability, but perhaps sometimes that's what he becomes.

In short - would take him in my team - but less for his defense than other redeeming factors.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next