The Franchise
che
Le Samourai
BarrileteCosmico
Jay29
Arquitecto
10 posters

Go down

Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager Empty Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:17 pm

Prior to his spell abroad, the 41-year-old made his name at Almeria, where he took the club to La Liga at the first time of asking in 2007, before guiding them to a ninth-placed finish in Spain's top flight a year later.

His work did not go unnoticed as Valencia named him as Ronald Koeman's successor in 2008, but despite finishing in a Champions League place in each of his four seasons, he was axed by Los Che in the summer

_________________________________________________________________________________

I know, Che ruined everyone's impression of Emery but then again was there a player or staff member in his team that the lovable pessimist actually liked?

Fact is Emery for his rookie mistakes and naive (ballsy) mistakes is a very talented manager with excellent flexibility and ability to bring fresh ideas to the table every terms.

We have only one Sevilla fan within the forum and that is actually GoonerJay of the Arsenal forums. Jay, I can assure you that Unai will be a success within Sevilla. He is only 41, now experienced and Basque.

Last edited by Arquitecto on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager Empty Re: Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager

Post by Jay29 Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:51 pm

Basque.

The most important trait, of course. Thumbs up

I can't remember much of Emery's Valencia, but I do know that consistent top four finishes on a tight budget and key players leaving is impressive work. I thought his sacking in the summer was a bit harsh, considering there was little chance anyone could take Valencia any higher at that point.

It's going to be a similar situation at Sevilla. At the moment, they're working on a tight budget and there's a good chance some of the club's best players could leave soon.

To be fair to Michel, he was restricted somewhat by the squad. Trochowski picked up a bad injury to start with and Perotti has been plagued by injuries all season (is injured for four week again). Reyes hasn't exactly been the best player to work with, either. Without those three, Sevilla lost a lot of flair and creativity and often had to rely on Navas far too much.

Saying that, Sevilla were pretty one dimensional and lacked a lot of discipline under Michel. Work rate was always great, but they often lost games because of red cards (they had 7 in 5 games, which is just shocking on several levels) or because of defensive mistakes that gifted teams a way into the game when Sevilla were dominating. At the weekend, for example, Sevilla had a good chance of getting a point at Valencia but their marking at set-pieces was atrocious.

I didn't think much of Michel's subs, either, often taking off Kondogbia or Reyes when they were playing well and always leaving Navas on, even when he wasn't effecting the game as much. There was a clear over-reliance on Navas and Negredo to lead the attack.

Hopefully, Emery can get the best out of what's there, because there's not a lot to play with, really. If he loses Negredo, he's got Papa "Baba" Diawara who's very average and Manu del Moral, who isn't much better. Trochowski won't play again this season and Perotti can't seem to stay fit, so he has to get the most out of Reyes otherwise he'll have to rely on Manu del Moral to play on the left or on Bryan Rabello, who, despite being a promising talent, is very inexperienced.

Basically, he has to get the defence tightened up, find a role that gets the best out of Rakitic, who's by far and away their most creative midfielder, and get Reyes playing well consistently (ring up Quique Flores if he has to) because he's still very talented. I think Sevilla will become a more dangerous side if they take away the over-reliance on Navas and Negredo.

I hope he gives the youngsters a chance, too, because they have some decent talents like Jose Campana, Geoffrey Kondogbia (big favourite of mine right now), Bryan Rabello and Miroslav Stevanovic.

I'm feeling pretty positive about the change and hope that he can get Sevilla up into the Europa League spots (doable considering how tight it is in Spain) and go on a cup run; semi-finals is definitely reachable since they have Zaragoza.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager Empty Re: Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:52 pm

Well knowing Sevilla's recent track record I expect him to last all of 4 months. Maybe 4 and a half.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Le Samourai Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:08 pm

I think Emerey promises to be even less of a realist Jay. He's going to try to build some intricate attacking philosophy around........Negredo.

Poor choice for me.

Still, I like the players (bar Negredo) so I would hope he makes the necessary adjustments. Use Campana and Rakitic more and better respectively and what not. I think he's going to make the defense worse than it is (I think Michel for the most part Michel has done decently in that department) - but perhaps he can get more out of the attack.

Le Samourai
Le Samourai
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:21 pm

GoonerJay29 wrote:
Basque.

The most important trait, of course. Thumbs up

I can't remember much of Emery's Valencia, but I do know that consistent top four finishes on a tight budget and key players leaving is impressive work. I thought his sacking in the summer was a bit harsh, considering there was little chance anyone could take Valencia any higher at that point.

It's going to be a similar situation at Sevilla. At the moment, they're working on a tight budget and there's a good chance some of the club's best players could leave soon.

To be fair to Michel, he was restricted somewhat by the squad. Trochowski picked up a bad injury to start with and Perotti has been plagued by injuries all season (is injured for four week again). Reyes hasn't exactly been the best player to work with, either. Without those three, Sevilla lost a lot of flair and creativity and often had to rely on Navas far too much.

Saying that, Sevilla were pretty one dimensional and lacked a lot of discipline under Michel. Work rate was always great, but they often lost games because of red cards (they had 7 in 5 games, which is just shocking on several levels) or because of defensive mistakes that gifted teams a way into the game when Sevilla were dominating. At the weekend, for example, Sevilla had a good chance of getting a point at Valencia but their marking at set-pieces was atrocious.

I didn't think much of Michel's subs, either, often taking off Kondogbia or Reyes when they were playing well and always leaving Navas on, even when he wasn't effecting the game as much. There was a clear over-reliance on Navas and Negredo to lead the attack.

Hopefully, Emery can get the best out of what's there, because there's not a lot to play with, really. If he loses Negredo, he's got Papa "Baba" Diawara who's very average and Manu del Moral, who isn't much better. Trochowski won't play again this season and Perotti can't seem to stay fit, so he has to get the most out of Reyes otherwise he'll have to rely on Manu del Moral to play on the left or on Bryan Rabello, who, despite being a promising talent, is very inexperienced.

Basically, he has to get the defence tightened up, find a role that gets the best out of Rakitic, who's by far and away their most creative midfielder, and get Reyes playing well consistently (ring up Quique Flores if he has to) because he's still very talented. I think Sevilla will become a more dangerous side if they take away the over-reliance on Navas and Negredo.

I hope he gives the youngsters a chance, too, because they have some decent talents like Jose Campana, Geoffrey Kondogbia (big favourite of mine right now), Bryan Rabello and Miroslav Stevanovic.

I'm feeling pretty positive about the change and hope that he can get Sevilla up into the Europa League spots (doable considering how tight it is in Spain) and go on a cup run; semi-finals is definitely reachable since they have Zaragoza.

Fantastic post. Unsurprisingly you have your knowledge of the team, its needs and mistakes down completely.

Emery's Cons:

-He is susceptible to pressure. If you think AvB is animated on the sideline, then Emery would make him look like Vicente Del Bosque. It doesn't mean he can't think under pressure but too often he is reactionary towards the other team's tactics. It either a sign of his youth or that Basque managers are almost trained to react on again to the oppositions tactics to an extent. Yet given his lack of training the latter I put a mix to both.

-He doesn't have one systematic plan to which he sticks to even when one works. His reactivity at times costs him given the team can almost be disillusioned to his consistent scrapping of plans. Frankly, he is quite a lot like Marcelo Bielsa without the experience and composure. Some rookie mistakes will frustrate you.

-He has shown not to focus all too hard on defence as most of them are susceptible to counters and out of position. This CAN be forgiven though because he hasn't had a single team with a half-decent defence. Not even Valencia.

-Like any Basque manager he trains his team all to hard. While that is ideal but the team sometimes is a bit more fatigued then they should be.

His Pros:

-Very talented. Loves to bring fresh ideas even if it means scrapping the "if it ain't broke" plan as he is meticulous in studying the oppositions tactics in thwarting them along with creative solutions on how to attack them. Pep Guardiola once said you never can predict what Emery has planned for you. He is very very unpredictable in his tactics.

-Very adept in preparing for big games as evidenced by how much trouble his team gave Barcelona. Historically his team accrues most of its points vs Big teams in the top ten as where he fails is vs the worst teams in largely overestimating them.

-Mentally prepares his team well. He is known to be eccentric but a strong leader and develops youth very well in integrating his own philosophies. Completely turned around Almeria's youth system which is one of the best within the country because of him. Same for Valencia who produces fantastic talent now. Worked with many of their youth and you'll be happy to know he was responsible for bring Isco in working very closely in developing his talent.

-Thinks Long term. A little too long term yet his teams despite some shortcomings have shown to build upon their ideas along with eliminating mistakes from previous games.

-Keep in mind that he isn't one too achieve excellent results right from the dot as his rather unorthodox ideas take time to develop as you won't see them being brought to fruition right away let alone this season.

-Overachieves with his squad. Took a pathetic Lorca to division two and Almeria to La Liga followed by finishing an amazing 8th with the squad. Also amazing given how poor Almeria were at that time. Valencia? Seeing that squad need I say more? Consecutive third place finishes with a rather average squad says it all.

-Very entertaining on the sidelines.

You'll have to be patient with him as some of his tactics are strange right off the bat but once settled are quite entertaining to watch. Makes very entertaining teams.

He might remind you of Wenger post 98' in some ways.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:49 pm

I think Emerey promises to be even less of a realist Jay. He's going to try to build some intricate attacking philosophy around........Negredo.

Poor choice for me.

Still, I like the players (bar Negredo) so I would hope he makes the necessary adjustments. Use Campana and Rakitic more and better respectively and what not. I think he's going to make the defense worse than it is (I think Michel for the most part Michel has done decently in that department) - but perhaps he can get more out of the attack.

I honestly don't know much about Emery's preferences, so I'm only really going by his track record to determine whether he's a good appointment or not at this stage. I'll keep my fingers crossed that he plays to Negredo's strengths.

Michel did have the team working hard but defensively there were far too many mistakes. Only one win away in the league and 17 goals conceded is pretty bad, not to mention the 5 red cards (8 overall). The fact the attack has been lacking all season just compounds the issue.

Overall, his defensive strategy wasn't bad, but a lot of mistakes occurred because the centre backs were either too high up or too square and marking from set-pieces wan't good enough. The side's inability to keep the ball for extended periods didn't help, either, which I think was mostly due to Rakitic's role. He was either played deep but too far away from the front three (in which case, the front three had to drop deeper) or played higher up with poor ball distributors like Medel and Maduro behind him.

It's possible Sevilla may improve defensively if they can improve they possession play.

-He doesn't have one systematic plan to which he sticks to even when one works. His reactivity at times costs him given the team can almost be disillusioned to his consistent scrapping of plans. Frankly, he is quite a lot like Marcelo Bielsa without the experience and composure. Some rookie mistakes will frustrate you.

I actually remember something about this. Sky Sport's commentators used to constantly criticise him for tinkering with the side.

It's not like he would have a lot to tinker with at Sevilla, in any case.

-He has shown not to focus all too hard on defence as most of them are susceptible to counters and out of position. This CAN be forgiven though because he hasn't had a single team with a half-decent defence. Not even Valencia.

He won't have one at Sevilla, either. Fazio, Spahic and Navarro are pretty solid but the centre backs (Spahic, Fazio and Botia) can be clumsy and Spahic can be a bit of a headcase. Concerning, but as I said above, I think the defence would benefit from better possession and attacking play.

You'll have to be patient with him as some of his tactics are strange right off the bat but once settled are quite entertaining to watch. Makes very entertaining teams.

He might remind you of Wenger post 98' in some ways.

That might be a problem since Sevilla are under a lot of pressure right now and he's only contracted until June 2014. With Del Nido's recent track record with managers, he might not be given the time needed to be a success.

Thanks for the information on him. Very useful to know what his strengths and weaknesses are so I have a rough idea of what to expect.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:05 am

ha, i knew there would be a reaction to this, had to check the forum Very Happy

Arquitecto wrote:

that doesn't mean anything, last year levante conceded only 6 more goals than valencia, and their defence is literally made of 30+ year old valencia rejects

-Very talented. Loves to bring fresh ideas even if it means scrapping the "if it ain't broke" plan as he is meticulous in studying the oppositions tactics in thwarting them along with creative solutions on how to attack them. Pep Guardiola once said you never can predict what Emery has planned for you. He is very very unpredictable in his tactics.

yea, you never know what names emery draws out of his hat to play, that's about the extent of his unpredictability... you have no idea how *bleep* frustrating it was to see piatti improve significantly when he had a run of two games, only to be benched the next game for feg... emery has this idea in his head that squad rotation is good no matter what, the results you get from that is that there is absolutely no cohesion in the team

i mean the guy had a record of playing like 5 months without the same consecutive starting xi

-Very adept in preparing for big games as evidenced by how much trouble his team gave Barcelona. Historically his team accrues most of its points vs Big teams in the top ten as where he fails is vs the worst teams in largely overestimating them.

no... no no no no no

sure we did give a lot of problems to barcelona, because for some reason guardiola couldn't figure out how to beat the alba-mathieu combo on the left and banega had the best games of his life against barcelona... for what it's worth, we gave them a lot of problems under pellegrino too, only beaten by a freak adriano goal

as for emery's record... lost the last 5 games against sevilla, beat pathetico 2 or 3 times in the 4 years he was here, took less than 8 points off madrid, and worst of all *bleep* up every single cup run we had

-Mentally prepares his team well. He is known to be eccentric but a strong leader and develops youth very well in integrating his own philosophies. Completely turned around Almeria's youth system which is one of the best within the country because of him. Same for Valencia who produces fantastic talent now. Worked with many of their youth and you'll be happy to know he was responsible for bring Isco in working very closely in developing his talent.

nope, none of that

even barring the disaster that was the second half of his last season here, the team regularly looked completely lost, only winning thanks to the individual brilliance of the forwards... once they left it all went to shit, luckily for emery so did the competition

he had nothing to do with our youth system and in fact was the reason isco left since he didn't give him any minutes... the extent of his appearances was a cup game against some segunda b side... as for developing other youth players, i'd love to hear their names because i sure as shit haven't seen any

only one he can take any sort of credit for was moving alba to lb, but that was out of necessity at that time since we had no healthy leftbacks for like two months... valverde is doing the same with guardado atm anyway, it's not some kind of a magic trick

-Overachieves with his squad. Took a pathetic Lorca to division two and Almeria to La Liga followed by finishing an amazing 8th with the squad. Also amazing given how poor Almeria were at that time. Valencia? Seeing that squad need I say more? Consecutive third place finishes with a rather average squad says it all.

laugh at the valencia squad all you want, but the fact is that it was still better than any of the competitors... the consecutive third place finishes happened because everyone else went to shit

in 11/12 we got 61 points which was enough for 3rd place... 08/09 61 points would get you 7th, next year 6th and the year after that 5th... emery owes his "record" to all other teams being awful, not his fantastic coaching abilities
che
che
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Benfica

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:12 am

The return of Che :bow:
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:19 am

nah, not really, i'm in final year of university so kinda busy, just stopping by lol
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 am

We'll take anything at this point Laughing
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:08 am

Che :bow:

Good posts in this thread, my personal view of Emery is that i don't like him. Feel a bit bad for Michel but i don't think Emery is going to do any better than him. If he does then that will be a pleasant surprise but i don't know.

Good luck to him anyways
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:19 am

that doesn't mean anything, last year levante conceded only 6 more goals than valencia, and their defence is literally made of 30+ year old valencia rejects

Levante play and continue to play a very conservative and safe approach to the game with their deep line, narrow and compact midfield which essentially covers their defensive organization well as opposed to Emery's attacking Valencia.

yea, you never know what names emery draws out of his hat to play, that's about the extent of his unpredictability... you have no idea how *bleep* frustrating it was to see piatti improve significantly when he had a run of two games, only to be benched the next game for feg... emery has this idea in his head that squad rotation is good no matter what, the results you get from that is that there is absolutely no cohesion in the team

i mean the guy had a record of playing like 5 months without the same consecutive starting xi

I agree he rotated the squad all too much yet given his extent of injuries along with inconsistencies of players, it was difficult to see a cohesive and starting XI which would bring a tangible result of consistency. I do agree he took far too long though.

no... no no no no no

sure we did give a lot of problems to barcelona, because for some reason guardiola couldn't figure out how to beat the alba-mathieu combo on the left and banega had the best games of his life against barcelona... for what it's worth, we gave them a lot of problems under pellegrino too, only beaten by a freak adriano goal

as for emery's record... lost the last 5 games against sevilla, beat pathetico 2 or 3 times in the 4 years he was here, took less than 8 points off madrid, and worst of all *bleep* up every single cup run we had

Its quite harsh on Emery to blame Guardiola's tactical failures in not thwarting Barcelona. All round Valencia tended to play a very disciplined and well organized game vs Barcelona throughout the 90. Pellegrino's game vs Barca was inspired by Emery's anyway as throughout the first 6-10 games he used very similar tactics.

As for big games I'm speaking within the top 10 as it was rated the third best record vs the top teams after Real Madrid and Barcelona.

nope, none of that

even barring the disaster that was the second half of his last season here, the team regularly looked completely lost, only winning thanks to the individual brilliance of the forwards... once they left it all went to shit, luckily for emery so did the competition

he had nothing to do with our youth system and in fact was the reason isco left since he didn't give him any minutes... the extent of his appearances was a cup game against some segunda b side... as for developing other youth players, i'd love to hear their names because i sure as shit haven't seen any

only one he can take any sort of credit for was moving alba to lb, but that was out of necessity at that time since we had no healthy leftbacks for like two months... valverde is doing the same with guardado atm anyway, it's not some kind of a magic trick

Can't agree with the first paragraph as it just oozes of prejudice and lack of acknowledgement of various triumphs.

Isco was brought in and hand picked by Emery. The reason behind his small appearances was due to Isco's relatively poor discipline on the pitch in the sense that he hadn't developed the needed tactical ability and as a whole, was too raw to be playing against La Liga sides. His development and breakthrough came as a surprise given the predicted time for him regarding his level. Emery's plans of Isco were eventually thwarted when he left as Llorente himself chose to sell Isco along with 2 other youth products himself. Isco didn't choose to leave.

As for the youth system, like Rafa Benitez at Liverpool he spent much time in importing youth and revitalizing the cantera in hopes for future output within 2-4 years in which I guarantee you results will be shown given the Valenciano youth team results.

laugh at the valencia squad all you want, but the fact is that it was still better than any of the competitors... the consecutive third place finishes happened because everyone else went to shit

in 11/12 we got 61 points which was enough for 3rd place... 08/09 61 points would get you 7th, next year 6th and the year after that 5th... emery owes his "record" to all other teams being awful, not his fantastic coaching abilities

I still wonder to this day how you think that La Liga is such an awful league given that is has the strongest squads within Europe along with its results. That's an argument for another day though.

Plus since we're glad to have you back...

Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager 317

Remember this guy? The guy who you detest so much? You know, the highest scoring Spaniard within the Liga who has 11 goals in 17 games? Miss him? Laughing

Oh yea..;. and here...
Unai Emery named Sevilla's New Manager Unai-Emery01
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by che Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:53 am

Arquitecto wrote:
Levante play and continue to play a very conservative and safe approach to the game with their deep line, narrow and compact midfield which essentially covers their defensive organization well as opposed to Emery's attacking Valencia.

true, but half of their defence is still made up of david navarro and fking juanfran

Its quite harsh on Emery to blame Guardiola's tactical failures in not thwarting Barcelona. All round Valencia tended to play a very disciplined and well organized game vs Barcelona throughout the 90. Pellegrino's game vs Barca was inspired by Emery's anyway as throughout the first 6-10 games he used very similar tactics.

we were a lot tighter defensively under pelle (well in the first few games anyway lol), our defence under emery was mostly frantic and heart-attack inducing, if our keepers were any worse than guaita-alves a big portion of these games would have ended in absolute blowouts

As for big games I'm speaking within the top 10 as it was rated the third best record vs the top teams after Real Madrid and Barcelona.

let's be honest here, this is la liga... big games = barca, madrid, pathetico, sevilla and recently malaga

Isco was brought in and hand picked by Emery. The reason behind his small appearances was due to Isco's relatively poor discipline on the pitch in the sense that he hadn't developed the needed tactical ability and as a whole, was too raw to be playing against La Liga sides. His development and breakthrough came as a surprise given the predicted time for him regarding his level. Emery's plans of Isco were eventually thwarted when he left as Llorente himself chose to sell Isco along with 2 other youth products himself. Isco didn't choose to leave.

dude... i'd expect this from the likes of halamadrid...

a) pretty sure isco was in the system before we hired emery, even if not, emery had absolutely nothing to do with his development... the guy was tearing up every single international youth level, it was obvious he's the best talent in our academy... you'd have to be a fking baboon to not give him a shot in the first team

which, incidentally, emery didn't...

b) isco did choose to leave, we offered him a contract after the u-20 world cup (or was it euro? idk) where he was the best player, he rejected it, malaga triggered his release clause and that was that

scenario that happened: valencia have a fantastically talented player in their youth system, said talent gets no game time except for one copa game where he's brilliant, gets pissed with the team, rejects contract extension, leaves

scenario that should have happened: valencia have a fantastically talented player in their youth system, said talent plays in crap copa and relegation fodder games, is kept happy, signs contract extension... you don't develop tactical ability in tercera, and in any case isco was a set starter for malaga from pretty much november after they signed him, i can't imagine he developed this awareness in a 3-month preseason

i agree that llorente takes some of the blame for not taking care of the contract situation but emery treated isco like the redheaded stepchild of the club

As for the youth system, like Rafa Benitez at Liverpool he spent much time in importing youth and revitalizing the cantera in hopes for future output within 2-4 years in which I guarantee you results will be shown given the Valenciano youth team results.

i have no idea where you're getting this from but emery had absolutely nothing to do with any of our youth teams

I still wonder to this day how you think that La Liga is such an awful league given that is has the strongest squads within Europe along with its results. That's an argument for another day though.

barcelona, madrid and falcao don't represent the quality of the entire league

Remember this guy? The guy who you detest so much? You know, the highest scoring Spaniard within the Liga who has 11 goals in 17 games? Miss him? Laughing

i never detested aduriz lol, he's just an average player having the best season of his life... ruben castro has scored as many goals, as has soldado for that matter

and since you ask, i don't miss him since his replacement has chipped in with a few important goals, including the winner against bilbao :coffee:
che
che
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Che is back too! cheers :bow:
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I bet you Valencia fans feel rather silly now.They were complaining because they only got 3rd and the season he is sacked it is debatable whether they will finish in the top 5.Lucky for them 5th could be enough for the CL this season.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 pm

Arquitecto I don't know how you can say Valencia had a average squad,under Emery they clearly had the 3rd best squad in La Liga.They were inconsistent but at their best could give any team in the world a game,they normally played well against Barca.True he had to lose a key player or 2 every year but even in his last season he still had a good team with good options on the bench like Aduirz,Pablo Hernandez,Piatti,Canales etc

Even the Valencia squad now is pretty good,they gave Bayern Munich two good games and nearly beat them with 10 men.

Anyway Emery is a good manager,tactically very good and he will make enforce discipline into Sevillas players.Emery got critizised at Valencia for not been good enough in cup competitions and for been a negative manager against the smaller teams in the league when he should have been more attacking.In the CL he was unlucky I think,against Shalke in 2011 Valencia dominated the first leg but missed easy chance and again last season they were better than Bayer but again they missed tons of sitters against some shit team at home(I forget who) and ended up drawing the match.At Bayer they dominated most of the match but Bayer ended up winning somehow.That was what cost them.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Che is back cheers
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:16 pm

I have to side with Arq's argument on here. Emery is very underrated by many on here. I'm sure in the long run Sevilla will break into top 4 again with him, if, of course, he's given the time to get his ideas in place.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:24 pm

Unai's results so far with Sevilla in order:

1-1
3-0
4-0

Doing the math that is 8 goals in 3 games with 2 clean sheets and one scored within the 3.

Jay?
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:45 pm

That 1-1 against Getafe would have been 1-0 if not for Corlunga's fluke/Palop's stupidity.

Other than that, it's been a promising start. The quality of attacking football has already improved as they're now playing with a lot more flair and pace. Rakitic is playing closer to Navas, Reyes and Negredo now and Reyes has been playing really well.

Defensively, they haven't been tested much but it's looked a little harried at times, especially last night against Granada when a lot of players were pushing forward.

Last night's game was excellent, all in all. Fantastic atmosphere in the stadium all game long and some quality play.

The next few games will be a tough test for them. Atletico Madrid in the Copa del Rey on Thursday is going to be a very hard match and I hope Sevilla can grab an away goal. After that it's home to Rayo, away to Real Madrid, home to Depor, away to Barcelona then the second leg of the Copa. Form is probably going to be very up and down.

The quicker this window shuts, the better. I saw some rumours that Fazio may be going to Zenit and there's still question marks over Rakitic. They really need to hold onto those players if they want a realistic shot at a Europa League spot.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:53 pm

Last night's game was amazing. Not seen Sevilla this good since ages
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by worms Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:19 pm

I told you guys he is a top manager.
worms
worms
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down