Great Leader Sprucenuce
RealGunner
Lex
REWB
Gil
47 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Lewis Holtby To Spurs Done Deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Lewis Holtby To Spurs Done Deal

Post by CBarca Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:07 pm

Art Morte wrote:
Arquitecto wrote:
Art Morte wrote:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. They did finish 4th last season with that striker pair, you know.

Mole is addressing the problem that this pair will be out of their depth within the Champions League and I agree as quite frankly, they aren't good enough for Tottenham's aspirations.

Can't help but arguing that there are clubs with worse strikers than Defoe and Adebayor reaching the last-16 this season, too. While already reaching the group stages financially and image-wise be a brilliant achievement. If I were AVB I wouldn't worry about my striker department too much. After all Defoe has scored 10 goals in the Premiership this season and Ade scored 17 last season, it's not like they can't find the back of the net.

I respect you Arte but you're being too light on Ade and Defoe here. I agree that Spurs need a top striker badly. Defoe, despite his 10 premiership goals is streaky and misses too many easy chances when he's off form (which is half the time really). Ade has great link up play, hold up play, and is overall a great forward, but his finishing is not top quality, and he's good enough to help Spurs to a 4th place, but not to take Spurs to that extra level.

Spurs are lacking a clinical striker. Unless Defoe is in red hot form like he was earlier this season, we don't put our chances away well enough. That's ignoring age as well. Defoe is 30, Ade will be 29 in less than 2 months, hardly the striking pair you want up front in terms of age and ability to finish off chances. I don't think they will cut it if we are to play in the CL and be serious top 4 contenders year in year out.

We need someone young, someone good. We need Daimiao.

Anyway, this is a great deal for Tottenham. Typical Levy stuff this one- Holtby for free is a bargain and I can't wait to see the young man in a Spurs shirt. People might worry that he wasn't gotten in January, but I think we can manage without him until then, and I like the forward thinking Tottenham are showing already strengthening for next year.

I agree that with a top striker Spurs are a real trouble for the EPL next year. Title contenders? I'm not sure, we're a ways away yet, but with AVB as coach and Levy continuing to make great transfers, the sky is the limit. What remains to be seen is if Levy is willing to break the bank for players like Willian and Moutinho. I'm not sure he is unless we sell Bale. I hope he is however, because those types of transfers are the ones that will make Tottenham EPL challengers if successful.

CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Back to top Go down

Lewis Holtby To Spurs Done Deal - Page 2 Empty Re: Lewis Holtby To Spurs Done Deal

Post by DeletedUser#1 Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:16 pm

An absolute nothing transfer.

Remember the outrage when Marin signed for Chelsea ?

he is one of the worst winger in our league now, won't look out of place in league 2.

Another over-rated, average Bundesliga player who'd look out of his depth in England.

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:23 pm

Marin was crap in Germany too the only people who thought was good were clueless people who based their opinion on Youtube videos.

Don't be ignorant, Holtby is a class player who has proved himself at CL level.

There's no reason at all while he won't excel in the league.

Besides the majority of players who come from Germany to PL excel.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 pm

Gil wrote:Oscar > Gotze > Holtby > Wilshere > Cleverley > Ramsey

Get mad.

Gotze shites on all of them :coffee:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by BAYERN_MUNICH Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 pm

Good transfer, though i think he should have gone to Arsenal.

And comparing Marin to Holtby hahah :facepalm:

Marin was a benchplayer at Bremen in times they needed more offensive power. He was a flop before he came to Chelsea.
Holtby has class, already proved it at Mainz, U21 and with Schalke
BAYERN_MUNICH
BAYERN_MUNICH
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:58 pm

Yeah, comparing Holtby to Marin isn't that clever, although Sepi usually knows his stuff (at least when he hasn't got emotional interest in the way anyway).

I liked Marin and I still do, but it was always going to be a bad career move for him to go to Chelsea. Just as it was only a sign of Chelsea's sporadical transfer policy when they signed him early on in the window, "oh look, we can get this potentially exciting player for a low price, let's go for it". And then they just moved on to sign more efficient wingers in the same window, rendering Marin pretty much useless.

But Holtby to Tottenham seems great to me which ever way you look at it. As a LFC fan I hate to seem them assembling a fine squad, but other than that I do admire their way of doing business.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRedStag Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:09 pm

Good business by Spurs. Mad

Most teams would have him. What about Clint and Sigg thou? hmm
TheRedStag
TheRedStag
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:11 pm

Isn't he an Everton fan? I know his father is a diehard one if nothing else. I wonder if Everton even tried to sign him hmm

Oh well. We've got Cazorla, Wilshere, Rosicky, Diaby, and Arteta in CM who are all around the same level or better. We don't need an AM at the moment nearly as much as we need a defensive one. He's still good though, so I'd rather anyone else had signed him than Spurs.
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Good transfer. Another young midfielder which will give Spurs furthermore depth.
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Art Morte Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 pm

Eman wrote:Isn't he an Everton fan? I know his father is a diehard one if nothing else. I wonder if Everton even tried to sign him hmm

This talk is seldom relevant. I mean, let's say you've always been using Apple. Would you not work for Samsung if they offered you a fine position?
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:29 am

I don't see there being much of a problem for Dempsey due to his ability to play in so many different positions. You can throw him in as a starter, fine. Throw him in off the bench, fine. Dude is just a class professional and will be fine in any role. He knew this coming into Tottenham as it was the cost to get Champions League football. I still think he would of been a better fit at Liverpool as they obviously need the toughness, but for his own career, I think he made the best decision.

While I like Sigi, he's young and outside of small spurts of brilliance, I haven't seen much out of him that would make me rate him above Dempsey, Bale, or Holtby. I just don't see Sigi as a regular starter in a championship EPL side. He just doesn't have the gas tank, and when he hits the wall his quality of play really falls off. This could just be because he's young, but when I was young I didn't lack for energy. I would personally like to send Sigi on loan, I wish back to Swansea (or Wigan) or to a competitive Serie A side, until he gets a little seasoning more seasoning under his belt.

Either way, each players fate will be determined by this half of the season.

Right now I would put the teams top players in terms of form as Bale, Dembele, and Dempsey. However, Dempsey found his form prior to the groin injury, so the next few fixtures will be crucial to his progress. If we can continue to get good performances out of those three, get serviceable performances out of Defoe/Ade, and shore up our right side link up...I predict scary things for Spurs.

I'm excited to see what they will do in the Europa league and the FA Cup.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 am

I think Dempsey was a short term option for Spurs. Sigurdsson can be Holtby's backup/rotate with other midfielders etc.

-----Bale---Holtby---Lennon

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:25 am

Marin was good in pre-season, and after that he hardly gets any play time. unfair to call him crap tbh
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by juventus101 Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:26 am

Bale is probably gonna leave in the summer it seems. So Dempsey gets that spot.

Dempsey-Holtby-Lennon

juventus101
juventus101
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:28 am

There's no way in hell that Dempsey will be Bale's replacement.

Spurs want Willian and they probably have more names in mind but it won't be Dempsey.

Dempsey was a last minute back up after they failed to sign Moutinho he doesn't really have any long term importance to Spurs tbh.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by S Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:30 am

[yohan botric]
Lloris

Walker-Vertonghen-CB-BAE

Sandro

Dembele---Holtby

Dempsey/Lennon-Damaio-Willian

hmm
[/yohan botric]
S
S
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by nh01 Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:39 am

Could Holtby play as if a DLP? Or is he much better in an advanced role?
nh01
nh01
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Borussia Mönchengladbach

Back to top Go down

Post by Swanhends Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:45 am

Is Damiao the guy for Spurs? I thought AVB liked more mobile/agile strikers?
Swanhends
Swanhends
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:48 am

He can yes but i'd say he's better as a AM.

Besides do you really need a DLP with Sandro and Dembele?

I know neither are DLP but all 3 would be in deep positions and that would seem a bit imbalanced to me.

Also Swanhends, Surag is just basing that off quotes from AVB where he said that they are interested in Damiao and Willian.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:21 am

Art Morte wrote:
Eman wrote:Isn't he an Everton fan? I know his father is a diehard one if nothing else. I wonder if Everton even tried to sign him hmm

This talk is seldom relevant. I mean, let's say you've always been using Apple. Would you not work for Samsung if they offered you a fine position?
Yeahh, I just mean he's joining Spurs on a free and Everton never have money so I would have thought they would have tried (not considering wages).
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am

I agree Spurs should buy some kind of striker, Damiao seems like the continous name talked about, but I dont know if they will.

Perhaps AVB is taking a page out of his mentors book, but he said Defoe is Falcao level Laughing
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:27 am

Swanhends wrote:Is Damiao the guy for Spurs? I thought AVB liked more mobile/agile strikers?

Well, I dont know.

AVB seems adaptable, was at Porto, did change at Chelsea and has changed even more at Spurs. One thing he has kept though, is a 9 who doesnt over involve himself out the box. All his teams he seemingly prefers that.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:41 pm

The Franchise wrote:AVB seems adaptable, was at Porto, did change at Chelsea and has changed even more at Spurs. One thing he has kept though, is a 9 who doesnt over involve himself out the box. All his teams he seemingly prefers that.

True story. His 9 at Chelsea was so uninvolved outside fo the box he was almost invisable Laughing
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by BAYERN_MUNICH Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:49 pm

Holtby said in an interview that there is also the possibility of a winter transfer
BAYERN_MUNICH
BAYERN_MUNICH
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:01 pm

The Franchise wrote:
Perhaps AVB is taking a page out of his mentors book, but he said Defoe is Falcao level Laughing

Classic Bobby that Laughing

I also agree he's adaptable at Spurs for example they play with 2 wingers, a destroyer and a b2b who pushes the play, 2 strikers or 1 striker with a attacking midfielder who crashes the box.

Quite frankly i never saw that coming after what i saw at Porto.
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by fatman123 Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:13 pm

^he doesnt really have a choice though, he had to change to some degree, at Chelsea and Spuds he doesnt have nearly the quality up front that he ahd at Porto with Hulk and Falcao
fatman123
fatman123
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum