rwo power
jibers
Adit
sportsczy
REWB
35 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What's wrong with diving? - Page 2 Empty Re: What's wrong with diving?

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Diving is a Art imo, and should be allowed if your team is desperate to win the game. Proud

Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:05 pm

Everyone changing their mind about diving now that Cazorla has done it.

Its just wrong, why is it even a question?
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Now I understand why this forum thinks Negrito is a racist term.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Pedram Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Because sportsmanship is a basic rule in football, you can only beat your opponent by playing football. the player who dives attempts to beat the opponent in a unfair and unsporting manner.
Pedram
Pedram
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellabong Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:35 pm

Tactical fouls are unfair and unsporting and yet the players comitting them are praised for their sacrifice for the team and intelligence.
Bellabong
Bellabong
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by Belgera Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:44 pm

Is it also wrong to dive to avoid a serious tackle that might cause an injury?

And if so, how do you (when watching from tv) know whether it was a dive to avoid an injury or to receive a fk or pk? In some cases it might be very difficult to know the intention. Perhaps in most.

Also, is it wrong to dive, if you do it because other teams also have players taking that route? So you kind of dive to balance it out?

Belgera
Prospect
Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:52 pm

This thread Laughing Hook, line and sinker Laughing

Nice one, REWB Thumbs up
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:56 pm

No surprise this thread is from an Arsenal fan after the Cazorla dive over the weekend. Hypocrisy at its finest!
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:04 pm

Please don't generalise. He is the only arsenal fan who thinks this way. Every other arsenal fan was against diving, and is still against diving. Nor any of us were happy with the fact Cazorla dived

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Blue Barrett Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:06 pm

^I'm referring to him and him alone.
Blue Barrett
Blue Barrett
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:07 pm

I still think REWB is just trolling
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:11 pm

Phritz wrote:Tactical fouls are unfair and unsporting and yet the players comitting them are praised for their sacrifice for the team and intelligence.

A foul is a foul. And the ref will see that and sanction the player justly so.

Now on the other hand simulating a hit or trying to fool the referee to give you an unfair advantage is completely different.

FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Phritz wrote:Tactical fouls are unfair and unsporting and yet the players comitting them are praised for their sacrifice for the team and intelligence.

Bring +1 back please.

You lot need to be a little less moralizers and realize that there's varying degrees of what "diving" consists of, and not every case is as black and white as many are making it seem.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:20 pm

Tactical fouls, at least, are always punished and a direct tradeoff, even though it's a bit sneaky, I agree with Phritz in the sense, that one shouldn't be glorified for it.

But a successful dive doesn't even get punished, it's hugely more deceptive and unfair, IMHO.

But, in all honesty, you know why I think diving is worse? Because it's the coward's way out. Many players who go down easy might even learn a thing or two from trying to stay on their feet.
And it's not "manly", stupid as it sounds. It's a huge point to me personally. They're professional athletes, grown men, who earn millions - they should have more dignity, and bigger balls, than to go down.

Women, ironically, have this right, in women's football I see far less diving, and they get right back up even after getting horrible axed. Because they're not pussies. In the metaphorical sense.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Ok the op is either a kid or he's trolling because no one says crap like that.

Avoiding an injury how is diving avoiding and injury. When a player dives he looks for some kind of contact and then flops. Avoiding an injury has nothing to do with diving that is an excuse used by fan boys to defend their players. Dives are horrible and you can definitely tell when Somone dives on purpose. Look at barca vs Betis when that useless *bleep* Sanchez flopped in the penalty area. He was looking for the ref while flopping. That was an obvious dive with absolutely no excuses!
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by Be/\/ceCALI Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

jibers wrote:
OP is aware that he has one of the biggest divers in football, so in order for OP not to criticise his team, OP has to pretend that diving is okay. OP was probably one of the people that called out people, but now that OP's team has multiple offenders, it is seen as alright. Good luck with your honest goals of 2013 OP.

OP pls

Cazorla one of the biggest divers in football? Laughing

says the dude with a.young on his team
Be/\/ceCALI
Be/\/ceCALI
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:32 pm

RealGunner wrote:Please don't generalise. He is the only arsenal fan who thinks this way. Every other arsenal fan was against diving, and is still against diving. Nor any of us were happy with the fact Cazorla dived
RG :bow:. Diving is a cancer in this sport.
jibers wrote:No surprise you are suddenly morally ambiguous after the Carazola dive. If that is the reason then that is sad. Football has been stabbed in the back and is dying a very slow and painfulc death...
Be/\/ceCALI wrote:
jibers wrote:
OP is aware that he has one of the biggest divers in football, so in order for OP not to criticise his team, OP has to pretend that diving is okay. OP was probably one of the people that called out people, but now that OP's team has multiple offenders, it is seen as alright. Good luck with your honest goals of 2013 OP.

OP pls

Cazorla one of the biggest divers in football? Laughing

says the dude with a.young on his team
Perfect response Thumbs up

Cazorla is NOT one of the biggest divers in football. I would love for you to point out every dive he has done since coming to Arsenal for me, because I promise you it's nowhere near as much as a player like Young or Nani or Ronaldo or Bale or one of the many players who people seem to accept the cheating of just because they always do it and people write it off as 'boys will be boys' has done. Arsenal players do not dive often at all because Wenger hates it - he apologized to the press for it after the game unlike a certain SAF does when quizzed about such issues (often deflecting criticism). And as for Santi, he actually stayed on his feet after a clear foul against Spurs a few weeks ago to set up a goal, and he was not awarded free kicks for the rest of the West Brom game despite being clearly fouled a few times, so to typecast him as a diver or to suggest that referees favour Arsenal (not that you necessarily did) is absurd. On that note, I found a great quote from a poster in the Arsenal section on the issue:
furiouswindbottom wrote:I don't know if you guys get 'Fanzone' where you live, but I got really annoyed with them tonight. They (Leroy Rosenior, Don Hutchinson and Gary O'Rielly) were going mental claiming Santi should be banned for 3 games.

I actually agree with 3 game bans for diving, but funnily enough....I don't remember them ranting so much about Ashley Young, Suarez, Rooney, Welbeck, Torres or Bale.

Arsenal players don't dive. You know why? Wenger hates it.

I was too drunk to call them and my internet connection was rubbish during the show, but after Rosenior said ''Wenger should have a word''...I really wanted to go mental and say...''Yeah, he will. Like he did with Theo after his one and only dive. Like he did with Eduardo, whom UEFA changed the rules for and banned for two games. Never happened before or since. Santi won't dive again. But Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and Young will. And they won't stop. Because guys like you are too afraid to have a go at Man U players. More importantly, you won't have a go at Ferguson. He is obviously aware of these dives and his silence means he encourages it.''

It's Ferguson who needs the ban!

Maybe I'll try and 'talk to them' this week.
Perhaps this was written too much in an anti-Utd way in the spur of the moment, but the point still stands that people love to get on the Wenger/Arsenal-hate bandwagon at the drop of a hat. Nobody seems to mention Rosenberg's awful dive to try to win a penalty in Arsenal's box :coffee:
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by B-Mac Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:53 pm

REWB wrote:Tell me what's wrong with it? how does it negatively effect the 'beautiful' game? what harm does it cause if the player is smart enough to trick the referee? explain.

Are you Santi in disguise? hmm
B-Mac
B-Mac
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by julias Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:18 pm

What's wrong with punching an opponent in the face as long as you go down pretending to have been hit as well? As long as you can con the referee it's all good in the hood.....
julias
julias
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by andiii Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 pm

what's wrong with decapitating the entire rival team with samurai swords when the refs back is turned
andiii
andiii
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by white_star Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:27 am

julias wrote:What's wrong with punching an opponent in the face as long as you go down pretending to have been hit as well? As long as you can con the referee it's all good in the hood.....

What ? Have you ever played or are you another one of those kids that don't know what sport your supporting?
white_star
white_star
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Shakhtar Donetsk

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:29 am

white_star, what about throwing coins at players as long as the TV cameras don't catch it on film? Surely that's somewhat acceptable?
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:18 am

It's against the rules. Might as well ask why grabbing the ball and throwing it into the net is a foul as well.

However, despite diving and play acting being despicable, what is NOT is falling over if you have been fouled. Let's take Eden Hazard against Sunderland for example. Early on in the game, he got into the box, it was an obvious goalscoring opportunity- and Larsson goes across the back of him and tugs on his arm enough to get him off balance. This action causes Hazard to not be able to shoot, and he tries to round the goalkeeper instead and is tackled fairly.

It is COMPLETELY within your right as a player to fall in that situation. You have been fouled, if you can stay up and score, do so- that is to your advantage. But if you have been fouled and you lose any advantage you may have had, you are within your rights to fall. Let the ref see that you have been fouled, it's hard sometimes for refs to discern what has been a foul and what hasn't if it's not very flagrant- and you make it less flagrant by staying on your feet.

IMO that is fine. RVP is completely right to say what he had said earlier. I agree with BC wholedheartedly.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by barca 2011 Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:45 am

The op would troll against diving if arsenal was a more successful team ATM.
barca 2011
barca 2011
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by chinomaster182 Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:48 am

I think the point of this thread wasn't to ask if diving was wrong or inmoral as an action, the answer is a resounding yes, diving is against the core design of the modern game.

The more interesting question that i believe the OP was trying to ask is: If i am a profesional player playing at the highest level (exactly like Santi Cazorla) of the game in this day and age, why WOULDN'T i dive?

Maybe it should take a harder route that most here aren't equipped to discuss such as, if i'm a Pro like Cazorla, is it IRRESPONSIBLE not to dive?

The leading first world culture in our 21st century is organized on the economist point of view that people respond to incentives, our social contract was designed not on the thought of virtue and how people should act, but more on how people will act if you give them costs that outweigh the gains of a undesirable action, you rob a store, you go to jail. Most people stay put once they realize that.

Football as it exists today, has its cards stacked in favor of diving. Like everything else in life, there is costs and gains to both diving and not diving, if you take some time to get into the shoes of a modern pro, you will see that the gains of diving far outweigh the costs of the action, thus there is diving everywhere in the world every single weekend, even in a country like Britain where it is much maligned by the public.

Of course all of this goes against romantic notions many fans have, it forces us to reconsider many difficult assumptions that might be painful to be tackled head on, such as: do a handful of old men control the sport or do the fans do?

I believe romanticism is at the core of being human and has a place in all of our hearts. However i also believe our laws have indirectly pushed football in a strong direction towards reality and there is no why its going back, the natural conclusion would be for us to push it all the way and incentive staying on your feet in a realistic manner.
chinomaster182
chinomaster182
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Juventus

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:01 am

In that respect, you could be even more general - is a player obliged to cheat (dive, handball, lie to the ref etc) to make sure his team wins and thus ends up as high in the table as possible, thus maximizing profit?

Well, personally, I'd prefer the thought of fair play, I have to admit. This is not just due to some romantic notion, but also due to the fact that increased cheating would lessen the sporting aspect of a match. If a match is decided by who is the better play-actor or liar, then football could as well turn into a fake show like WWE, and somehow this wouldn't appeal to me at all. Maybe there are others who would prefer it that way, but then I'd probably give up on the highest level of men's football and rather watch the women play as that way of cheating is still comparatively rare there.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next