McAgger
RealGunner
The Franchise
Red Alert
9 posters

Go down

The Russian League Empty The Russian League

Post by Red Alert Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 am

I've always wanted to make a thread in response to the Russian League.

It's Friday night here, and I'm about to go out, but what are your opinions on the Russian League?

I'll post mine tomorrow some time.

Before I do go, I'd just like to say that I do feel as if it's underrated by a lot of posters on this forum.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

The Russian League Empty Re: The Russian League

Post by The Franchise Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:10 pm

I think people are quick to write it off and the players inside it.

For example, if we start talking about the best strikers in the world. Nobody mentions Etoo, simply for the reason he is now playing in Russia. However, just because he plays in that league doesnt mean he is somehow less of a player.

Anyway, I dont watch the league but the stronger teams we see in the CL seem pretty strong to me and always pose a tricky problem.

I think its only a matter of time before everyone has to take it at least partially serious because they continue to attract strong players to the league. Indeed, at the moment its based on money alone. However, players moved to City to start off with, for money alone. So lets wait and see.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:14 pm

It's really difficult to find Russian League games. They don't show it on any english channels, either UK or USA ( AFAIK) unless it comes on BeIn sports. The only place i did catch RPL was on Al jazeera and that was when i was waiting for a ligue 1 game.

Therefore i would like to watch it sometimes because there are some quality players over there. But it's difficult to watch it.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:26 pm

I think I will make an effort to watch Anzi vs Zenit, if only for Etoo and Hulk.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 pm

same here, tell me when it is lol
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:11 am

I was relying on you to do that for me lol
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:23 am

Sunday 9th December. Time not confirmed as of yet. Zenit at home
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:02 am

OK we are watching RG, dont forgot.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:44 am

That's fair enough RG. I can understand that.

My main point was the continuos attack from posters on the league as if it's a very weak league. It's far from that. It is a strong league and it's only going to get better.

The Russian Premier have the likes of Zenit, CSKA Moscow and Anzhi all contending for the league with Rubin and Spartak far from weak opposition. Terek sit fourth currently, but I'm yet to see them play. Like you, I find it hard to watch their games.

The Franchise wrote:I think people are quick to write it off and the players inside it.

For example, if we start talking about the best strikers in the world. Nobody mentions Etoo, simply for the reason he is now playing in Russia. However, just because he plays in that league doesnt mean he is somehow less of a player.

Anyway, I dont watch the league but the stronger teams we see in the CL seem pretty strong to me and always pose a tricky problem.

Great points as usual Dani. They will be a massive threat to teams in the CL. They're definitely not going to bend over to teams.

I think its only a matter of time before everyone has to take it at least partially serious because they continue to attract strong players to the league. Indeed, at the moment its based on money alone. However, players moved to City to start off with, for money alone. So lets wait and see.

This is an interesting point. There is no doubt they do spend big, but there's a reason for it.

They genuinely want to become a better league. They need to attract better foreign players to join them hence the large offers. When the league starts to get better recognition, I can see the high spending to stop to be totally honest.

Also, I feel as if your last sentence is targeted towards Anzhi (correct me if I'm wrong). That's definitely not the case. They have a net spend of 103.5m from the last 3 seasons. That is definitely not too bad when you compare them to the likes of City, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, hell Liverpool also. Getting in the CL next season will cover their losses. They have a young squad (bar Carlos and Eto'o) and look in good hands with Hiddink.

On Guus Hiddink, I feel he has made a very strong squad and if he does stay with them for a couple of more seasons I can see him challenging for the CL with Anzhi. That is no joke. I rate him as one of the best tactical coaches presently. He does have the resources to spend to make his own side if needed.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:24 am

Also take into consideration that the current league is very young, being founded in 2001. After Soviet Union broke in '91 the Russian Top Division had no stability. The teams that played in the Soviet league (Spartak Moskva, CSKA, Torpedo Moskva, Dynamo Moskva, Lokomotiv Moskva, and a 6th team I can't recall right now), had to create themselves their own league in Russia and finding competitive teams from lower division was next to impossible. But since the new RPL establishment in 2001 the league has been on the rise. I predict it to become a heaviweight league in the next 50 years, especially since there is money available in the country.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:08 pm

ynwa wrote:That's fair enough RG. I can understand that.

My main point was the continuos attack from posters on the league as if it's a very weak league. It's far from that. It is a strong league and it's only going to get better.

The Russian Premier have the likes of Zenit, CSKA Moscow and Anzhi all contending for the league with Rubin and Spartak far from weak opposition. Terek sit fourth currently, but I'm yet to see them play. Like you, I find it hard to watch their games.

The Franchise wrote:I think people are quick to write it off and the players inside it.

Great points as usual Dani. They will be a massive threat to teams in the CL. They're definitely not going to bend over to teams.

This is an interesting point. There is no doubt they do spend big, but there's a reason for it.

They genuinely want to become a better league. They need to attract better foreign players to join them hence the large offers. When the league starts to get better recognition, I can see the high spending to stop to be totally honest.

Also, I feel as if your last sentence is targeted towards Anzhi (correct me if I'm wrong). That's definitely not the case. They have a net spend of 103.5m from the last 3 seasons. That is definitely not too bad when you compare them to the likes of City, Chelsea, Madrid, Barca, hell Liverpool also. Getting in the CL next season will cover their losses. They have a young squad (bar Carlos and Eto'o) and look in good hands with Hiddink.

On Guus Hiddink, I feel he has made a very strong squad and if he does stay with them for a couple of more seasons I can see him challenging for the CL with Anzhi. That is no joke. I rate him as one of the best tactical coaches presently. He does have the resources to spend to make his own side if needed.

I wasnt thinking of Anzhi alone really. I was more thinking on a general term.

The players the league have, its similar to when City started. They went and got a level of player, way above what you would think.

I dont really rate Hiddink, so ill leave that out there.
The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Abramovich Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:54 pm

I hope Honda and Alan leave the Russian league soon.
Abramovich
Abramovich
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Napoli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:29 pm

Alert Razz
Zenit vs Anzhi
Tomorrow(Monday)
4PM
on ESPN
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:08 am

Sina you life saver lol

forgot about this
RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:55 am

Sina :bow:

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:17 pm

Sina :bow:

Edit: Why are they playing in an empty stadium?
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyx Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:46 pm

It's not just the Russian league that's underrated, it's every league that isn't one of the top 3 leagues.

For a player I'm sure winning one of the top 3 league means more than winning a league that isn't top 3.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 pm

Zenit-Anzhi 1-1

fair result though anzhi were clearly the better team in the first half an hour.Danny got sent off for showing his frustration at the referee.Bystrov came on in the second half and bolstered the Zenit attack. My dream of seeing Criscito and Danny link up hasn't happened yet. Sad

The one who benefitted from the match was actually CSKA.

cska 43
anzhi 41
zenit 38

Also Spartak picked up a win against Rubin in the earlier match. I could watch only the final 20 minutes of it, and it was all gung-ho.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lupi Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:38 am

eco smile Money makes the world go around , Money is what makes Brazilians go to Russia and suffer the cold weather
Lupi
Lupi
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed May 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Zenit v Anzhi on right now :bow: :bow: Very important match for CL spots. Zenit are still in the title race. Anzhi must win or they will be mathematically out of CL contention
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed May 08, 2013 6:51 pm

Eto'o scores the WINNER. Anzhi win :bow: Zenit's chances of the title look slim. They are 3 points behind CSKA who has a match in hand. 2 games remaining. They can seal the title tomorrow.

Anzhi go within 4 points of Zenit for the last CL spot.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Thu May 09, 2013 1:12 am

Wait I take all of that back. It was the Russian Cup. Can't believe I sat there for 2 hours and watched the Russian Cup Sad
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down