38 posters

Page 28 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Go down

God Thread, Pt. III - Page 28 Empty Re: God Thread, Pt. III

Post by bazinga Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 pm

Adit wrote:
bazinga wrote:
juveman17 wrote:

If God created the world then how would all of these different processes come about? At random?

Who created God?

Man Laughing

Seriously!

They keep talking about "before the Big Bang," but they still don't have any answer to "before God."

I'm done here.

bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:48 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:
juveman17 wrote:The Church also funds schools, hospitals, and shelters that help the poor and keep people alive.

So does the government, and I don't worship them, even though they do a better job at all three of those things. And that still doesn't mean the government knows how the universe was created.

Not to mention the Catholic church reviles birth control methods, and then disowns and says a big "*bleep* you" to kids born out of wedlock or into very poor families. They're all for protecting the unborn baby, but they don't give a rat's fart once the fetus is out of the womb.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:18 pm

VivaStPauli wrote:
juveman17 wrote:The Church also funds schools, hospitals, and shelters that help the poor and keep people alive.

So does the government, and I don't worship them, even though they do a better job at all three of those things. And that still doesn't mean the government knows how the universe was created.

Wow.....there is a difference between a Church founded by a Holy Book and a messiah than a government. Nobody follows Carholicism because of the churches donations. That statement was just :facepalm:
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

https://www.youtube.com/user/juveman176

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 pm

bazinga wrote:
Adit wrote:
bazinga wrote:

Who created God?

Man Laughing

Seriously!

They keep talking about "before the Big Bang," but they still don't have any answer to "before God."

I'm done here.

Once again, you clearly lack understanding of any of the bible. The bible and most other religious books say that nothing came before god. He is an outer worldly being. Whether you believe this or not is a different story but that is what the bible says.
You keep in picking out individual stuff but you just fail to realize that the Church is based off of FAITH NOT FACT! You need to seriously understand this.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Juveman17 Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:25 pm

bazinga wrote:
VivaStPauli wrote:

Not to mention the Catholic church reviles birth control methods, and then disowns and says a big "*bleep* you" to kids born out of wedlock or into very poor families. They're all for protecting the unborn baby, but they don't give a rat's fart once the fetus is out of the womb.

Since when does the Catholic Church disown very poor children? That statement is flawed. Although I do think there is a serious need for change regarding issues with wedlock and birth control.
Juveman17
Juveman17
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:45 pm

Oh it doesn't, it just creates a culture where parents have to do that themselves to save face in front of their congregation.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:43 pm

Imagine that! Terrorists, "'fit no single demographic profile' and most were 'religious novices'".

http://www.straight.com/news/367571/islamophobia-often-byproduct-media-reports-homegrown-terrorism
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:51 am

Yes, because the West is the only place affected by Islamic extremism Rolling Eyes

I'm an Indian. I know exactly what Islamic extremism has done to my country, and the countries that surround it.

The terrorists that bombed the Taj talked about the eleventy billion virgins that they would get in heaven. They talked about how they were doing the right thing for Islam. The INDIAN MUJAHIDEEN is an Islamic terror group that is homegrown.

So you can kindly take your poorly sourced propaganda and spread it elsewhere.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:15 pm

bazinga wrote:Yes, because the West is the only place affected by Islamic extremism Rolling Eyes

I'm an Indian. I know exactly what Islamic extremism has done to my country, and the countries that surround it.

The terrorists that bombed the Taj talked about the eleventy billion virgins that they would get in heaven. They talked about how they were doing the right thing for Islam. The INDIAN MUJAHIDEEN is an Islamic terror group that is homegrown.

So you can kindly take your poorly sourced propaganda and spread it elsewhere.

Uh... Are we reading the same article?

Honestly, this is the part where I make you take a CAPTCHA test to prove you're human and not a spam bot designed to vomit the same posts over and over again.

We just proved (using an MI5 study as a source) that terrorism, contrary to popular belief, is not something specific to Islam. heck, it's not specific to any demographic.

Had you actually read the article, you would have come across gems like:

"Rather than intense monastic religious devotees, they [terrorists] tend to be non-faithful individuals who are drawn to radical peer groups for political or personal, but not religious reasons," Saunders wrote.

Or

"In Britain, London's Metropolitan Police successfully purged the Finsbury Park mosque of al Qaeda–linked sympathizers and activists by working closely with Salafist groups prevalent in the community," he wrote in The Myth of the Muslim Tide. "Scotland Yard found that the Salafists (who seek a theocratic Muslim state through political means) had both the most detailed knowledge of fellow immigrants who were susceptible to terrorist radicalization and also the strongest determination to keep violent and jihadist tendencies out of their mosque."

Terrorism isn't specific to Islam, even if the media only reports it when it comes from 'Islamic' groups. Furthermore, it's the Muslims who are the most determined to keep violent extremists out of their mosques.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:07 pm

And again, that article is specific to the United *bleep* Kingdom. Have you actually read it?

Plus the source is nonsense.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:53 pm

bazinga wrote:And again, that article is specific to the United *bleep* Kingdom. Have you actually read it?

And your experience is specific to India. So?

Prove it. It's a reputable website citing a verified study. What's the problem?
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by bazinga Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:35 am

ACMRox wrote:
bazinga wrote:And again, that article is specific to the United *bleep* Kingdom. Have you actually read it?

And your experience is specific to India. So?

Prove it. It's a reputable website citing a verified study. What's the problem?

My experience is relevant to the whole of South Asia, including Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

And why don't you prove that that website is actually reputed. You sourced it, burden of proof is on you.

Talking to you is like talking to a wall.
bazinga
bazinga
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:36 pm

bazinga wrote:

My experience is relevant to the whole of South Asia, including Pakistan, Afghanistan and Bangladesh.

You're going in circles here. If the opinion of one unknown person is applicable to the whole of South Asia, then a study done by the MI5 is definitely applicable to the whole of the West.

And why don't you prove that that website is actually reputed. You sourced it, burden of proof is on you.

Read the link mate. He cites a book written by a well known expert in this field (which you're free to read) that is reflecting on a public study done by MI5. What's the issue?

Talking to you is like talking to a wall.

Then by all means, stop. but if you want to attack someone's opinion and insult their intelligence, then at least have something to back yourself up.
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:13 am

juveman17 wrote:
bazinga wrote:
Adit wrote:

Man Laughing

Seriously!

I'm done here.

Once again, you clearly lack understanding of any of the bible. The bible and most other religious books say that nothing came before god. He is an outer worldly being. Whether you believe this or not is a different story but that is what the bible says.
You keep in picking out individual stuff but you just fail to realize that the Church is based off of FAITH NOT FACT! You need to seriously understand this.

Preach it brother! Couldn't have put it better myself...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Chelsea Fuerte Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:24 am

Juveman17 wrote:

And therein lies the problem...

El Chelsea Fuerte
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by CBarca Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:13 am

Holy crap. It's back.
CBarca
CBarca
NEVER a Mod

Club Supported : Athletic Bilbao

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:16 pm

So since there's a bit of discussion brewing about this topic in two separate threads I thought I'd bump this.

Specifically want to get the discussion about something that was discussed in my philosophy class in 2011. I don't remember exactly how it was phrased but I remember it generating pretty interesting opinions.

For this discussion to be plausible, it's important to note that magic doesn't exist. Laughing That is a fact! (I mean this is straight forward, if you believe in magic, maybe you shouldn't be posting your opinion on this subject.)

The debate we had in class ended with the fact God deity is such a higher being than mere mortals that humans don't have the capacity to understand or to question His logic. So for the sake of discussion don't give me that answer, don't say we are incapable of understanding the otherworldy logic.

So here we go, God gave humans a brain, a mind of their own, a consciousness to be able to think for themselves. Do you not think that He would want humans to use that brain of theirs to ask for logic, to ask for concrete facts, to ask for proof, to question His own existence if the evidence didn't support it? Do you not think that He would be offended that people are so blindly following His faith, even though He has given them a mind of their own to ask for proof? Surely He didn't expect people to blindly follow Him if He gave them the power to logic so He must have left eventual concrete proof for humans. (Again remember magic doesn't exist so please don't say prophets - mere humans who claimed they talked to God - just for the sake of argument if nothing else.)

But if you insist with the prophets, why were the last prophets over thousands of years ago? Has God given up on humanity if He doesn't care enough to send us His prophets in the modern times for reassurance.

McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:27 pm

Don't call me James wrote:
For this discussion to be plausible, it's important to note that magic doesn't exist. Laughing  That is a fact! (I mean this is straight forward, if you believe in magic, maybe you shouldn't be posting your opinion on this subject.)

Disagree, if magic doesn't exist then explain this.

Spoiler:
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:41 pm

Don't call me James wrote:So since there's a bit of discussion brewing about this topic in two separate threads I thought I'd bump this.

Specifically want to get the discussion about something that was discussed in my philosophy class in 2011. I don't remember exactly how it was phrased but I remember it generating pretty interesting opinions.

For this discussion to be plausible, it's important to note that magic doesn't exist. Laughing That is a fact! (I mean this is straight forward, if you believe in magic, maybe you shouldn't be posting your opinion on this subject.)

The debate we had in class ended with the fact God deity is such a higher being than mere mortals that humans don't have the capacity to understand or to question His logic. So for the sake of discussion don't give me that answer, don't say we are incapable of understanding the otherworldy logic.

So here we go, God gave humans a brain, a mind of their own, a consciousness to be able to think for themselves. Do you not think that He would want humans to use that brain of theirs to ask for logic, to ask for concrete facts, to ask for proof, to question His own existence if the evidence didn't support it? Do you not think that He would be offended that people are so blindly following His faith, even though He has given them a mind of their own to ask for proof? Surely He didn't expect people to blindly follow Him if He gave them the power to logic so He must have left eventual concrete proof for humans. (Again remember magic doesn't exist so please don't say prophets - mere humans who claimed they talked to God - just for the sake of argument if nothing else.)

But if you insist with the prophets, why were the last prophets over thousands of years ago? Has God given up on humanity if He doesn't care enough to send us His prophets in the modern times for reassurance.

Seems like this is more of an attacking question towards the theists.
Believe me, a theist reads that question and his defense mechanisms start racing.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:53 pm

It does question the existence of God so it naturally seeks the answers from theists to prove it. Only if something is proven can you then proceed to disprove it which is why it seems offensively geared towards theists and not atheists.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by VivaStPauli Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:15 pm

Frankly, since all versions of genesis basically consist of "God/Allah/Insert-Deity-Here made the world with magic", the premise of "there is no magic, fact" already denies all religions credibility.

Not that I disagree, but it is a poor basis for open discussion.
VivaStPauli
VivaStPauli
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : FC St. Pauli

Back to top Go down

Post by Robespierre Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:46 am

Basically if we consider the most popular religions in the world we have the Christians who believe in God, the Muslims in Allah , the Buddhist in Buddha, the Liverpool fans in Robbie Fowler .
The we have so many others , basically we have 30'000 religions in the world, 30'000 superfluous.

Talking about the 2 most popular , Christianity and Islamism must always cope two concepts apparently irrenconcilable, the free will and a Creator who is " eternal present " .
It's probably the most difficult to think to realize for me .

Of course I have nothing against who believes , my only problem is towards the fundamentalists ( presents on every religion ,and I talk about a country where the Christian lobbies have always influenced everything ... ) besides I believe who believes / hope / deceives himself? in God is a man enough lucky , because it helps to live better in some things. Well, the death is not a problem for who died but for who stays here on earth..
But the religion can't be an imposition , it must be a thing you must feel . Otherwise it's not a religion. Another reason why children shouldn't be baptized imo. But just adults, if they want it.
tbh when you have the childish greenness you believe because you can't think , reflecting, asking questions, you live with axioms , and the religion is based on axioms. When you get in touch with pragmatism , the castle risks to collapse. ,
So , considering God is a world closed for me ( Many say to have had the calling from God, but I never had it. I 'm available to wait though. ) I 've tried to make me an idea about his preachers. My idea about Jesus ? Well , as I think there were many Achaean sailors around the end of the II Century BC , but I don't believe Odysseus was a real character, similarly I think there were many Palestinians preachers who attempted to reform their community and egetting rid of the Roman invaders, and for this reason they have been put to death.
Robespierre
Robespierre
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Inter Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:16 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Frankly, since all versions of genesis basically consist of "God/Allah/Insert-Deity-Here made the world with magic", the premise of "there is no magic, fact" already denies all religions credibility.
I mean it's not like science has a better explanation... Scientific models state that for a random set of events to generate the first molecules it would have taken far longer than the 750m years it actually took. Scientists explain this away as saying "Well it was probably alien", which seems like  a good way of evading the question because at some point it should have either been spontaneously created in a random event or created by a higher being.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:19 am

Origin stories are always interesting nonetheless. Our capacity for creativity and how we view the world is showcased in them.

What I've always found interesting is this attempt by theists to co-opt science into religion. When all we knew was that there was this planet, God created it. Then we discovered the moon and magically God created that too, then we discovered the other planets and conveniently God created them too and finally we discovered the universe itself, and what do you know? God created the universe.

It's almost like the more we discover of the vast space around us, the more ownership is attributed to God.

Extremely convenient for a deity that created such a primitive species as ours when there are literally thousands of worlds they could've chosen instead.

Maybe I'm off base with these musings, but just observations.

McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by rwo power Sat Sep 26, 2015 2:50 am

Don't call me James wrote:So here we go, God gave humans a brain, a mind of their own, a consciousness to be able to think for themselves. Do you not think that He would want humans to use that brain of theirs to ask for logic, to ask for concrete facts, to ask for proof, to question His own existence if the evidence didn't support it? Do you not think that He would be offended that people are so blindly following His faith, even though He has given them a mind of their own to ask for proof? Surely He didn't expect people to blindly follow Him if He gave them the power to logic so He must have left eventual concrete proof for humans. (Again remember magic doesn't exist so please don't say prophets - mere humans who claimed they talked to God - just for the sake of argument if nothing else.)
Actually the Bible itself says that God didn't want humans to know 'everything' as he explicitely forbade them to eat the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge, so it sounds as if he prefered them to stay unknowing believers if they wanted to remain on his good side, that is, paradise.
rwo power
rwo power
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Club Supported : Asante Kotoko

Back to top Go down

Post by Cruijf Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:09 am

VivaStPauli wrote:Frankly, since all versions of genesis basically consist of "God/Allah/Insert-Deity-Here made the world with magic", the premise of "there is no magic, fact" already denies all religions credibility.

Not that I disagree, but it is a poor basis for open discussion.

Strangely, I find myself agreeing with Viva for the third time today. Shocking.

As for the question, I'll do my best to outline the Islamic response, but I can't speak on a general basis for all theists.

The short answer is essentially that we don't and can't know, but there's more to it than that, and since it seems that doesn't satisfy you, I'll elaborate a bit.

There are two big Islamic principles that apply to this discussion.

The first is that every nation/culture has had the message of monotheism conveyed to them in some way.

"And We certainly sent into every nation a messenger, [saying], "Worship the One God and avoid false deities." (Quran 16:36)

This is not meant to say that every human to ever exist received the message of God, but it is to say that on the whole, every culture's perception of God comes from the teachings of Islam having been sent to them and being corrupted and changed over time. This is why we all have perceptions of the afterlife, why almost every culture has a story of a great flood, etc.

The second principal is that God will never punish someone who did not receive His message. The proof for this is two-fold: the word used to indicate disbelief in the Quran is almost always kufr which comes from kafara which means to hide or reject something. 'Disbelief' as mentioned in the Quran thus only applies to those who heard the message, understood it, ad still turned away from it.

The second proof is the following verse:

"...and never would We punish [a person or people] until We sent a messenger [to them]." (17:15).

Fairly straightforward stuff, so far - almost everyone to walk this earth has received the message of monotheism, and only those who have will be held accountable.

As for this whole gap between prophets thing, you have to understand the message (and logical merits of the arguments presented) of a religion outlast any messenger. 1400 years after the Prophet Muhammad Peace Be Upon Him, there is still a ridiculous amount of information available to us about his life, practices, and message. And the fact that we're having this conversation is indicative that the message has been delivered. The whole foundation of Abrahamic theology is that God has given us information on how he wants us to live, and its up to us whether we decide to believe it is from Him and follow it, or whether we decide to reject it. For the most part though, not just Islamic teachings but actual historic evidence shows that people have gotten the message. That's why all religions are so similar.

The more interesting question though is what I think you're on the cusp of throughout your post, which is, "why does God allow us to disbelieve?" And that one we really can't know, other than that willful obedience is better in the eyes of God than obedience that is forced. After all, if you accept the whole thing for a second you realize every living non-human being, whether they're animals or angels, must obey God. Everything in existence would obey a God. Humans are the exception in that they have a choice.

But again, that one we really can't say, because as your class concluded, finite physical beings such as us can never really comprehend the logic of an infinite metaphysical being.

For the record though, the Quran addresses this question:

And (remember) when your Lord said to the angels: "Verily, I am going to place (mankind) generations after generations on earth." They said: "Will You place therein those who will make mischief therein and shed blood, - while we glorify You with praises and thanks and sanctify You." He (Allah) said: "I know that which you do not know."
Cruijf
Cruijf
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 29 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29  Next