Red Alert
Lord Hades
Lex
Kick
Onyx
BarrileteCosmico
12 posters

Go down

Owen: 'To say Coloccini intended to hurt Suarez is laughable' Empty Owen: 'To say Coloccini intended to hurt Suarez is laughable'

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:59 am

Stoke City striker Michael Owen believes that the referee was wrong to show Fabricio Coloccini a red card during Newcastle's 1-1 draw with Liverpool at Anfield on Sunday. The Magpies were the first on the scoresheet when Yohan Cabaye netted on 43 minutes, but the away side were pegged back thanks to a brilliant equaliser from Luis Suarez mid-way through the second-half.

A controversial red card for Coloccini on 84 minutes, however, transformed the finely balanced tie into a backs-to-the-wall job for Alan Pardew's men, and former Tyneside favourite Owen was quick to voice his opinions on the decision.

"Not having that at all. [Coloccini] didn't touch him and to say there was intent is laughable," the 32-year-old wrote on Twitter.

"Let me tell you, he kicks a moving ball a thousand times a day and doesn't miss it once. If he wanted to connect with a standing leg then he wouldn't have missed.

"He pulls out at the last minute and doesn't touch him. Not having that's a red at all."

The action in question:

BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Owen: 'To say Coloccini intended to hurt Suarez is laughable' Empty Re: Owen: 'To say Coloccini intended to hurt Suarez is laughable'

Post by Onyx Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:07 am

Coloccini could have injured Suarez there.

The intention is there.

He probably pulled out because the ball went. If the ball was still there he probably would have made contact.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Owen: 'To say Coloccini intended to hurt Suarez is laughable' Empty Re: Owen: 'To say Coloccini intended to hurt Suarez is laughable'

Post by Kick Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:08 am

that is a red card all day long.

Owen must be enjoying what ever he is smoking on that Stoke Bench.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:03 am

Poor Owen, no longer relevant in the world of football, so he has to chime in from the back of the crowd now and again to remind us that he's still around
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:43 am

Kick wrote:that is a red card all day long.

Don't see how. I found the straight red to be a huge overreaction, although perhaps from the ref's point of view I can see how he would make that mistake.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:45 am

it's late, high and studs up.

He does pull out a little but he certainly could have pulled out completely. For me, the intent is there, it is dangerous. Red.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:51 am

BarrileteCosmico wrote:
Kick wrote:that is a red card all day long.

Don't see how. I found the straight red to be a huge overreaction, although perhaps from the ref's point of view I can see how he would make that mistake.

Don't think you'd say that if Pepe tried this on Messi

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Hades Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:00 am

Coloccini is doing the right thing, trying to kick racism out of football, eh? Cool
Lord Hades
Lord Hades
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:22 am

Lord Hades wrote:Coloccini is doing the right thing, trying to kick racism out of football, eh? Cool

Ignorant *bleep*.
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:44 am

I just hope this thread doesn't turn into a bash Suarez thread. We already have many of those.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by tonger Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:01 am

might as well make this into a poll, this is a straight red for me
tonger
tonger
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:14 am

I think it was a bit harsh on Coloccini. But it's a 50/50 decision that could go either red or yellow. The point of views from which the ref and linesman saw it was hard to judge.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by mr-r34 Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:20 am

The linesmen made the final call, so the ref was just working on advice.

"Let me tell you, he kicks a moving ball a thousand times a day and doesn't miss it once. If he wanted to connect with a standing leg then he wouldn't have missed.

He defends at training 1000 times yet Suarez raped him for the goal, that logic.
mr-r34
mr-r34
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:48 pm

It's a blatant red but i don't think Colo intended to hurt him if you look carefully he even pulls his leg away at the last moment.

I'm quite annoyed at him tbh there's no need for that and now we will miss him for 3 games hopefully Taylor can carry on yesterdays form as he was outstanding.

Williamson No

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

The linesman was right there to see it, and he made the call. I felt it could've gone either way, meaning a red is understandable although not the necessary result. He pulled out, but he never should've been in a tackle like that to begin with, let alone that late.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:18 am

He'll probably get let go considering Suarez is involved...
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:22 pm

That was a straight red. What's Owen smoking? rofl
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down