Let's Learn Our Lesson

+2
Nishankly
Art Morte
6 posters

Go down

Let's Learn Our Lesson Empty Let's Learn Our Lesson

Post by Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:02 am

It's 12:42 AM here, I have a class in 8 hours, but I kind of feel like staying up. It's a good night, I'm drinking some coffee listening to some Swedish House Mafia, but have read some worrying things on other forums today, and well...I want to add my own 2 cents.

5 games played
0 wins
2 draws
3 losses
4 goals scored
10 goals conceded

"Rodgers has been found out", "Liverpool for the drop?" , "Worst Liverpool team of all time", "That's what you get for blowing your budget on a pass it sideways midfielder", "No Plan B", "No Flexibility", etc.

I've read all those things today. Well, the table doesn't make a pretty reading...but let's look at it this way.

Summer 2009- Rafa Benitez manager during preseason
Summer 2010- Roy Hodgson manager during preseason
Summer 2011- Kenny Dalglish manager during preseason
Summer 2012- Brendan Rodgers manager during preseason

We've had zero stability in the past few years. Every other summer it's been year zero. People go on about Moyes, Fergie, Wenger, etc...but stability is vital to a club. We used to be famous for being stable...well, the recent record doesn't quite approve it. We will just keep being left behind the more we chop and change. People need to be realistic. We've finished 7th, 6th, and 8th in the past 3 years. We have no given right to greatness, we need to manage the expectations. What we need now is a plan, a vision, to gradually get us back there. Rodgers is 100% the man for me...and I don't give too rats about the stats about this being the worst start for us. Why do I have blind faith in him?! I tell you why:

- His approach to the game is what made Liverpool the best team of late 70s and 80s.
- He is a perfectionist. Rafa was a perfectionist, Mou is a perfectionist, and so is Pep. All top managers are perfectionist. and I love BR's confidence (some call it arrogance) and how he is so determined with his plan A.
- He has balls. Giving Sterling his first start vs City! Bringing Suso on vs United when we are down to 10 men, Omitting Downing from the squad. Forcing Adam to move to Stoke despite his will, Playing Coates instead of Carra in crucial game. All of those are massive positives.
- He's had some terrible luck to be fair. That fiasco on deadline day (though some would blame Carroll situation on him), Lucas injured vs City, Very uncharacteristic individual mistake by Keeper and Defense, now Agger and Kelly injured longterm.

You know, I started the season with no expectations. You remember me being depressed all summer. Not sure if it was because of me missing Europe, or just totally lost my love of football. I had lost it. I swear. I was telling rg on the chat, I was merely a troll. I had no faith in us...I didn't see any shed of positive light in the end of the tunnel. I saw no golden sky in the end of the storm. Ready for suicide and give up forever. I totally predicted this start when I saw the fixture list....but I've been taken by surprise by Brendan. I actually look forward to every game now. Even if we are losing. It's brilliant seeing young talent blooded in and players picked on merit rather than reputation. His self-confidence gives me assurance. Yes, maybe if we had Pulis as our manager we would have got a draw vs Arsenal instead of losing, and had 3 points. But it's just a short-term view. Short-termism has killed this club over the past 4 years. Short-termisim saw Rafa sacked after his first bad season. Short-termisim saw us sign Joe Cole for 4 years to earn 90k/week. and I could go on and on.

I see young lads happy with Brendan...Suso who looked all but gone, will sign a new contract. We'll spend in Jan. I don't expect much. When I look at the table in May, as long as we are in top 8, and have made progress with the style of play, and are more confident. made more comebacks to win games, have more goalscorers though out the team. those are positives.

I can't think of a single manager out there, that I'd trust this squad with more than BR, other than Rafa. but Rodgers absolutely must stay. I really feel for him so far.

I really hope we pick up wins from our next 3 games vs Norwich, Stoke, and Reading prior to the derby. Some fans are ready to stick the knife in. Trust me, the wolves are out there wanting to get a bite. I really hope we get a much deserves break.

Even discussing manager's position at this point sets us back for another few years...I hope we've learnt from our mistakes. There are plenty of positives about this season..I've gone from being a miserable pessimist, to following things very closely again. Everygame looks a surprise...watch Yesil start on wednesday and get a goal.

YNWA.....I hope that's not only a chat abbreviation and something people actually think about.

Back to top Go down

Let's Learn Our Lesson Empty Re: Let's Learn Our Lesson

Post by Art Morte Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:34 pm

It's a quality post, Sepi, one that's really telling about your love for this club - which, after all, is the greatest football club on Earth.

We are on different boats about Brendan Rodgers, but I might still find myself humbly boarding yours.

I cannot wait for our next couple of league games, they feel so enormously important in this situation that just thinking about it makes the wait feel almost unbearable.
Art Morte
Art Morte
Forum legendest

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Got me pumped up, Made my first Liverpool matchday thread this season :bow:
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:23 pm

Great read Sepi. These types of threads after miserable matchdays are very pleasing. I've been backing BR since the first day he became our manager, and that will not change no matter what. Rodgers is the man to lead this red crusade back to the epitome of Europe :bow:
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:24 am

To begin with, Liverpool isn't the greatest football club in the world. See Chelsea Football Club

I'm kidding

I confess that I watched a few games then and there of Liverpool during Benitez, Roy, Kenny and Rodgers and this is my two cents

Roy was what Big Phil for was Chelsea IMO so I'm not going to talk about him. Kenny had a good run but he was never meant for the long run and should have left before things went downhill.

And from all those managers there, Rodgers' football and approach is what I felt was the most superior. You guys made United look like a 2nd division team when you had 11 men on the field but then the Referee happened.

So far BR has been really unlucky and IMO its only going to be a matter of time before he starts to prove his class. Like Sepi said, he's got character of a confident manager who is perfect for the job. Not afraid to take chances or make changes and that wins matches

Hope you guys stick by him and get back to the top; but just below Chelsea ok?
Soul
Soul
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Corinthians

Back to top Go down

Post by donttreadonred Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:34 am

+1 to Soul for the nice point.

If I may point it out, we also made United look like a mid-table Prem League squad with only 10 men.
donttreadonred
donttreadonred
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:51 am

Just logged in to say welcome back Sep. Your posts are always a great read when you're serious and don't "troll". Hate that word. Hate why people do it. See no point to it, personnally. But anyway.

Not really sure I understand the context of this part.
I had no faith in us...I didn't see any shed of positive light in the end of the tunnel. I saw no golden sky in the end of the storm. Ready for suicide and give up forever.
confused
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Nishankly Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:32 pm

No matter where we stand,
No matter how we falter at the moment,
We believe we will rise again
We believe in the Reds
and therefore we will keep supporting them come what may.
Nishankly
Nishankly
Spicy Curry

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Alert Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:11 am

"The word 'fantastic' has been used many times, so I would have to invent another word to fully describe the Anfield spectators. It is more than fanaticism, it's a religion. To the many thousands who come here to worship, Anfield isn't a football ground, it's a sort of shrine. These people are not simply fans, they're ...more like members of one extended family."

- Bill Shankly

:bow:
Red Alert
Red Alert
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:52 pm

All Hail Shankly.....Indeed it is a religion for us :bow:
McAgger
McAgger