djoe26
Raptorgunner
REWB
SamuelJayC
16 posters

Go down

Montpellier v Arsenal Preview Empty Montpellier v Arsenal Preview

Post by SamuelJayC Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:54 pm

Montpellier v Arsenal, Tuesday 18th September, 7.45pm, Champions League group stage, Stade de la Mosson, Sky Sports 2

Montpellier v Arsenal Preview A3AOihWCIAAUD2a
Montpellier's home, Stade de la Mosson, looked in fine condition on Monday afternoon

Arsenal look to continue good early season form

After two goalless draws against Sunderland and Stoke, Arsenal finally got their season up and underway against Liverpool and Southampton, scoring eight in the process. "We look like a real team that wants to play together," Arsene Wenger told the media after the 6-1 demolition of Southampton on Saturday. "This year we have started better." That much is obvious. Eight points from four games, considering the summer losses of Robin van Persie and Alex Song represents a respectable return for the gunners.

Though, the next two weeks will tell us a lot more about Arsenal, as the boss confirmed on the weekend. After Tuesday's visit to Montpellier, Wenger and co travel to Manchester City before a home game with Chelsea. A league cup tie against Coventry at the Emirates divides the clashes against the English and European champions. "I'm confident because the spirit and attitude is spot on," Wenger affirmed.

French champions struggling

After holding off the challenge of money-bags PSG last season to lift their first ever Ligue 1 title, Montpellier have begun the defence of their crown in woeful fashion. One win in their opening five league fixtures and three defeats mean a crisis at the Stade de la Mosson. Friday evening's 3-1 defeat at newly-promoted Reims has left Rene Girard's men 16th in France, eleven points off leaders Marseille. Girard rested Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa, his key defender and captain for that defeat, but the core of the team played.

"Our defence hasn't exactly been the Berlin Wall of late," Girard told the press on Monday, "but this match will force every individual in the team to raise their level."

Match stats

* This is the 15th consecutive season Arsenal will play in the Champions League, only Manchester Utd (17) and Real Madrid (16) can boast longer current streaks.

* Arsenal have made it past the group stages in the last nine seasons but have been knocked out at the last 16 stage in the last two campaigns.

* Montpellier's only encounter with an English club was in the 1991 Cup Winners Cup quarter-finals v Man Utd (3-1 agg. defeat).

* Giroud spent two seasons at Montpellier scoring 33 goals in 73 Ligue 1 appearances.

* Arsene Wenger faced René Girard twice in Ligue 1 during his time as a defender with RC Strasbourg.

* Montpellier are one of three teams to make their debut in the Champions League this season, along with Malaga and Nordsjælland.

* Arsenal have never lost an away game in France, winning five and drawing four.

* Arsenal’s last three away games in France have all ended 1-0 to the Gunners.

* Arsenal have only kept one clean sheet in their last 20 Champions League away games, that was in France against Marseille last season.

* Montpellier haven’t won any of their last four home games in European competition, (two draws, two defeats).

Team news

Arsenal

Wojciech Szczesny (ankle), Lukasz Fabianski (back), Bacary Sagna (leg), Jack Wilshere (ankle) and Tomas Rosicky (tendon) are all unavailable, whilst Emmanuel Frimpong (match fitness) is not yet ready to return.

Abou Diaby (muscle) returns to the squad, but Andrey Arshavin and Marouane Chamakh are not included.

Arsene Wenger begins a 3-match touchline suspension.

Montpellier

John Utaka (thigh) is out, but Jamel Saïhi (chest infection) is fit again. Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa will return to the side after being rested on the weekend.

Montpellier v Arsenal Preview AbDnUoGakF

Arsenal subs: Shea, Koscielny, Santos, Coquelin, Ramsey, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott

Montpellier subs: Pionnier, Congre, Jeunechamp, Stambouli, Aït-Fana, Mounier, Marveaux

Manager quotes

Arsene Wenger

"I have made some changes, but I want to maintain a degree of continuity for this match. I think that Montpellier have kept the same group of players – they have just been unlucky in certain matches and perhaps they were waiting for the Champions League. It is possible that they could cut loose against us, but that is the type of match you get used to in the Champions League. I'm frustrated not to be on the bench because that is where I am happiest, but we have discussed the different scenarios and will see what happens tomorrow. Arsenal have never lost to a French team in France and we will try to maintain that run tomorrow."

Rene Girard

"We have to be aware of the difficulties we have had, but it's not by crying but by working that we'll get out of trouble. Many of the players haven't been in this competition before. It's a way for the club and the players to grow. It's very intense and amazing to be among the 32 best teams in the continent in this tournament. We created a surprise by winning the title and perhaps we can cause another surprise by winning the Champions League. Many people are wondering how many goals we're going to concede, but events on the pitch will tell."

Last edited by Samuelj29060 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:03 am; edited 7 times in total
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Montpellier v Arsenal Preview Empty Re: Montpellier v Arsenal Preview

Post by REWB Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 pm

im more confident after seeing that stadium. beautiful for football.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:13 pm

No Wenger. Montpellier v Arsenal Preview 2276801876

I hate UEFA.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by djoe26 Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:01 am

Great preview as always Sam!

I dont know how good Montpellier are but they won french league last year so this is going to be tough match. But thier form this season could be a plus for us.

Wenger will make some changes and i hope he does start Giroud this match.
djoe26
djoe26
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:19 am

Montpellier's stadium reminds me of Highbury Heart
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:31 am

Great job Sam

they average 49.2 % possession per game so far this season
10 teams average more in Ligue 1

so their best chance this game would be on counters
Hope we make our possession count take a lead
Bocaly aint secure technically
have to target him and regain the ball

hope Theo and Giroud start

and play same front 4 as saints vs city then
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:36 am

Wenger's continued to lament his punishment for communicating via his mobile phone with the bench against Udinese. "Honestly, nobody knows really, even at Uefa, what is allowed and not allowed," Wenger said. "Let's not forget that I was suspended last year for having done what they told me I can do.

"When I went back there and said: 'Why do you want to punish me?' They said: 'Because you communicated with your bench.' I said: 'But you allowed me to do it.' They said: 'We made a mistake. But we punish you anyway'."

WTF Really
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Lex Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 am

Yep, sounds like Uefa alright. Couldn't organize an orgy at the Playboy mansion
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:34 am

Great preview Sam.

I know it wont be easy but we should win it. Gervinho knows how to beat french teams and Groud will have a big hand in it.

My prediction 2-1 or 1-0 win for us. I am sad that I will miss the game, I have my driving test and I cant miss that. Sad
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 am

"Vito is very close [to the Arsenal No. 1 jersey], and he gets another opportunity now," Wenger told Sky Sports News. "He has belief and he has the mental strength to deal with that."
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:42 am

This is totally unacceptable.. UEFA Montpellier v Arsenal Preview 2276801876
I believe we have a more important match against Man City this weekend.. so i would like players like Arteta and Cazorla who started all matches to have a rest.. and we give chance to the players who have not played this season.. should be a very different team from last match..
Koscielny should start for sure..
Ramsey, Diaby, Walcott, Giroud and Santos all should start today... and we must play City with our best and fresh squad..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:52 am

Wenger did say that seven or eight from Saturday would play, so I'm expecting about three or four changes (not including the forced change in goal).

I think we'll see this:

Mannone

Jenkinson --- Koscielny --- Vermaelen --- Gibbs

Arteta --- Diaby

Walcott --- Cazorla --- Podolski

Giroud

I'm not sure about Diaby starting the game. I think he should be rested so he is absolutely 100% against City on Sunday.

Despite Montpellier's poor form of late, I expect this will be a hard match. Their defence is tough to be beat and although they're missing a decent striker, they still have players like Cabella, Belhanda and Utaka who can hurt us.

It would be brilliant if Giroud could grab his first goal tonight, just to get that monkey off his back.

I predict a hard-fought 1-0 or 2-1.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by Highburied Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:01 am

We have good depth in the squad but all depends on selection.

Id keep the momentum even though we have a hard game in the weekend.

Id start a really strong lineup with intention to kill the game off in the first half in order to rest some key players in 2nd half.

Id go with this lineup:

Mannone

Jenkinson Koscielny Vermaelen Gibbs

Coquelin Arteta

Gervinho Cazorla Podolski

Giroud

Diaby might start but I would save him for this weekend.

Highburied
Highburied
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:58 am

Our team confirmed via GeoffArsenal

Mannone
Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs
Arteta Coquelin
Giroud

Hoping for a cleen sheet and Giroud goal.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Thanks for compliments guys! Very Happy

---

Arsenal opened last season's Champions League group stages with a 1-1 away to Borussia Dortmund.

Arsenal team v Dortmund this time last year: Szczesny; Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs; Arteta Song; Walcott Benayoun Gervinho; Van Persie.

It's possible that only 2 players who began last season's Champions league group stage (1-1 v dortmund) will start tonight - Kos/Per, Arteta.

:coffee:
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:39 pm

Great job Sam, as always!

Very excited for tonight. A lot of storylines to track. Vito Buffone fighting for a starting place, Giroud to potentially net first against the club he carried to the title, our defense to be tested for the first time in Europe (and with Koscielny in if he starts) and of course Arsene watching from a distance :facepalm:
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sina Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:28 pm

This season Arsenal have been drawn in Group B. For those of you looking for omens, the last time Arsenal were in B (2005/06) the Gunners finished top with their best ever group stage record (W5 D1 L0 F10 A2 Pts 16). Indeed that year Arsenal went on to reach the final for the first time. B is also the most common group for Arsenal - this is their sixth appearance in Group B.
Very Happy Montpellier v Arsenal Preview TrolldolskiMontpellier v Arsenal Preview Mike110
Sina
Sina
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:09 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Our team confirmed via GeoffArsenal

Mannone
Jenkinson Mertesacker Vermaelen Gibbs
Arteta Coquelin
Giroud

Hoping for a cleen sheet and Giroud goal.

wtf still no kos?
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Rev Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Don't think Koscielny's needed atm. I love him as a player but let's not try fixing what ain't broken. MertexVerma looked brilliant this season.

The only way I see him start is at RB but Jenkinson's looked more comfortable with each passing game, so the dice are in Wenger's hands. cheers

Ps: Great Preview. Thumbs up
Rev
Rev
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RealGunner Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:57 pm

Great work sam :bow:

Mertesacker will probably play to counter herrera. Also wenger is just making sure that this back 4 is as solid as it seems and not a fluke. Don't blame him. Eventhough it's really harsh on koscielny

It will be a difficult game. Montpellier is a hard working team eventhough they are in poor form. They rested half their team for us so we can't really take their form for granted. CL is different

But we can exploit their lack of experience in the league. No wenger will be a shame but im sure he told Bould everything that has to be told

Giroud to score. Cazorla to shine. Arteta to do the amazing job he usually does.

RealGunner
RealGunner
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Koscielny should play vs City anyway.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Amar Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:14 pm

We should be able to win this one, cause quite frankly we're a shitload stronger, but I really hope this isn't one of our off-days, I've got money riding on this.
Amar
Amar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by boss Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:44 pm

Nice preview Sam Wink woww dat match stats : ASN never lost an away gm in FR sound veryyyy sexy lol ,btw I'm a bit sceptic about Giroud in a way coz u know guys ! however :Giroud on Montpellier : yeah , not that easy ! it's emotional to play vs ex team mates ever but u know guys ...well,i was a part of em n i had 2 great seasons as u know ..i know (Montp) players pretty well i guess ! They WERE ! great last season...BUT @Arsenal fans....just the fact i know em > i know how "even"to beat em....stay cool guys Laughing Hope he's not kidding LOL..neither our players coz it's really a big game n hard test 4 ASN imo !cruCial !

boss
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:34 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:Koscielny should play vs City anyway.
Thumbs up
For that he needs to play a match before that.. thats today.. Met-Verm partnership has been very good.. But still i think Kos-Verm is the best..
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down