EarlyPrototype
Guiltybystander
Mr Nick09
Gil
RobbyV
33 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Guti tells it like it is... Empty Guti tells it like it is...

Post by RobbyV Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:59 pm

Barcelona's Lionel Messi delivers in big games, unlike Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo - Guti

The former Madrid star feels Barca are still on a higher level, and stated that the biggest difference between Messi and CR7 is their performances in key matches
By Stefan Coerts

Former Real Madrid midfielder Guti has stated that although he feels Cristiano Ronaldo is a great player, he reckons that the Portugal international is not of the same level as Barcelona's Lionel Messi when it comes to performing when it matters most.

Ronaldo smashed La Liga's goals record last season, netting on 40 occasions, but was unable to help the Santiago Bernabeu side to the league title or to Champions League glory.

"He is a great player and has been decisive in many games. However, what happens in the big games is that he fails to deliver the goods - something that Lionel Messi did for Barcelona. The real stars are those players who shine at the big moments," Guti said to Punto Pelota.

The Besiktas playmaker added that Barcelona remain ahead of rivals Madrid, and expressed his disappointment with the lack of homegrown players in Jose Mourinho's line-up.

He added: "Madrid have not yet reached the level of Barcelona. It will be very hard to beat them if you line up all players against each other one-by-one. My biggest sadness is that Iker Casillas is the only youth product in the team. We spent some money on new signings, rather than in youth investment."
RobbyV
RobbyV
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Flamengo

Back to top Go down

Guti tells it like it is... Empty Re: Guti tells it like it is...

Post by Gil Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Guti tells it like it is... Popcorn
Gil
Gil
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Guti tells it like it is... G6406076g67

guti is my new hero
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:04 pm

Can't read your post because there is a Zanetti picture in front of it.

SAD.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : wisla krakow

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:06 pm

Guti tells it like it is... Katy_Perry_riding

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Meh Guti doesn't know anything. Let Messi and Ronaldo swap places then we will see. I can give you a long list of big games ronaldo has played well in.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Sao Paulo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Well, now your Zanetti picture is gone, I can read the article.

Anyway, Guti is partially right. But it isn't exactly lifeshattering information.
He also has his own agenda, because when he says that Madrid still isn't better than Barcelona (they aren't), it reassures that he wasn't the reason why Madrid has sucked against Barca in recent years.

I don't think the main difference between Messi and Ronaldo is their big game performance however. Both do quite well in big matches, and regardless they are COMPLETELY different players. Anyway, most will concede that Messi is the better player, although Ronaldo has unreleased potential I feel (in truth he is the better "athlete", not the better football-player).

And he is also right about youth development. We have great players that haven't gotten the chance to play, but it looks like that will change under Mourinho. The youth program itself is good though. Again, this isn't exactly new information.

Last edited by Guiltybystander on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr Nick09 Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:18 pm

unreleashed potential? i dont see that, the guy is in his prime, his athletic abilities are at their peak and he never tried to expand his game. no?
Mr Nick09
Mr Nick09
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:25 pm

St_Nick09_of_Goal wrote:unreleashed potential? i dont see that, the guy is in his prime, his athletic abilities are at their peak and he never tried to expand his game. no?

I think he can improve, he has more leadership-potential than Messi, and his game is maturing. He was a loose cannon at first, and he has slowly learned how to control and fit into a tactical mould. I think he can improve mentality wise, which, for a player like CR, is pretty impactful for his overall game.
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by buddytaller Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:57 pm

I disagree with much of what Guti just said, Ronaldo is not a big match flop, he scored Manchester Untied's only goal in the Champions league final in 2008, he was instrumental in sending Portugal to the finals of the Euro 2004 tournament, again spearheaded Portugal to the semis of the the 2006 world cup and quite recently he scored against Barcelona in the Copa del Rey final.

FFS he scored against EVERY team in the la liga last season including Barcelona so I don't get it when people say he is a big match flop.

On youth development I also beg to differ with Guti, developing youth shouldn't be at the expense of the team's success, the fact that you play youth products is no guarantee of success. Atheletic Bilbao relies entirely on youth products from the Basque region, but they were almost relegated 2 seasons ago. The fact of the matter is that players like Negredo and Soldado will not become world class simply by playing for Madrid, one can make a case for Mata, but he left on his own for Valencia, after his contract had expired. If the products are good enough they will find their way back to the team as has happened with Arbeloa, Granero and Callejon.
buddytaller
buddytaller
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Dinamo Zagreb

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:08 pm

Not new information, said it when he was at United and will continue to say it.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Guti tells it like it is... Empty Guti: Messi shines in big games, CR7 does not

Post by Nirgal Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:11 pm

From goal.com

http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2011/06/28/2551410/barcelonas-lionel-messi-delivers-in-big-games-unlike-real

Barcelona's Lionel Messi delivers in big games, unlike Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo - Guti
The former Madrid star feels Barca are still on a higher level, and stated that the biggest difference between Messi and CR7 is their performances in key matches
By Stefan Coerts

Find the best odds and bet on La Liga.
Former Real Madrid midfielder Guti has stated that although he feels Cristiano Ronaldo is a great player, he reckons that the Portugal international is not of the same level as Barcelona's Lionel Messi when it comes to performing when it matters most.

Ronaldo smashed La Liga's goals record last season, netting on 40 occasions, but was unable to help the Santiago Bernabeu side to the league title or to Champions League glory.

"He is a great player and has been decisive in many games. However, what happens in the big games is that he fails to deliver the goods - something that Lionel Messi did for Barcelona. The real stars are those players who shine at the big moments," Guti said to Punto Pelota.

The Besiktas playmaker added that Barcelona remain ahead of rivals Madrid, and expressed his disappointment with the lack of homegrown players in Jose Mourinho's line-up.

He added: "Madrid have not yet reached the level of Barcelona. It will be very hard to beat them if you line up all players against each other one-by-one. My biggest sadness is that Iker Casillas is the only youth product in the team. We spent some money on new signings, rather than in youth investment."

Guti is a product of the Real Madrid youth academy and made over 500 appearances for the capital giants, before leaving them to move to Turkey in 2010.
Nirgal
Nirgal
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Club Supported : TSV 1860 Munich

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:12 pm

FFS this is the third crappy thread over the same nonsense that came out of Gutis mouth.
EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgal Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:16 pm

sorry, didn't know. Will delete it when i find the others.

Edit: seems i cant delete threads.

Last edited by Nirgal on Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nirgal
Nirgal
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:16 pm

The other one is "Guti says it as it is" or something like that.

Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by the xcx Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:17 pm

Oh not this again...
the xcx
the xcx
Banned (Decade)

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:18 pm

CDR final
Tottenham CL quarter final
CL Lyon round of 16
Against ac milan ( wasnt bad)
this is just with madrid also.
I guess I shouldn't post his MU games.

Seriously, with all due respect to messi, he has the best midfield in the world.1/4 of his goals are from quick 1-2s and I doubt xabi alonso or di maria would follow up with ronaldo on those, for example.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Turok_TTZ Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

The blonde fury of madrid is right on this one.

CR7 when in big games, seems to goto selfish mode rather than playing on the collective basis. due to this he tends to suck and hurts himself and the team. ability and athletic wise id place my vote in cr7, mentality goes to messi though. he sticks to team collective unlike cr7. mentality is key to big games and cr7 doesnt get it.

sure he plays decent every now and then when in selfish mode, but imagine how good he be if he never goes selfish mode. a selfless CR7 vs fussy selfish cr7 the selfless one wins everytime
Turok_TTZ
Turok_TTZ
First Team
First Team

http://trm.jcink.net

Back to top Go down

Post by daneq Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Guti has had unpopular and nonsensical opinions for ages, no surprises here. Move along.
daneq
daneq
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by EarlyPrototype Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:20 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:CDR final
CL Lyon round of 16

Champions League final against Chelsea (Uniteds only goal)
Champions League against Arsenal (2 goals)

EarlyPrototype
EarlyPrototype
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgal Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:22 pm

CL Lyon round of 16

Seriously, with all due respect to messi, he has the best midfield in the world.1/4 of his goals are from quick 1-2s and I doubt xabi alonso or di maria would follow up with ronaldo on those, for example.

Honestly think that Xabi, Di maria, Benzema, Ozil cannot do good 1-2? Are you serious?
Nirgal
Nirgal
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Guiltybystander Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Yeah, I never quite get that "Messi has better support argument", granted, Barcelona is the world's most well-oiled machine, but it isn't as if Ronaldo is playing for some second-rate club. He has only WC players behind him, supporting him.

Guti tells it like it is... Guti-FC-Zurich-Real-Madrid-Champions-League_2361131
Guiltybystander
Guiltybystander
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by FennecFox7 Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:24 pm

Nirgal wrote:
CL Lyon round of 16

Honestly think that Xabi, Di maria, Benzema, Ozil cannot do good 1-2? Are you serious?
Dude, watch some of our games for a change. Di maria is the slowest decision maker in the world, he takes FOREVER to pass. Benzema probably will understand ronaldo on a 1-2, xabi alonso is too slow.
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:25 pm

if anyone actually has watch ronaldo over the past years, you would know that he is a big game flop. in all the times he has faced the top four in the epl he has flopped bad.
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by Nirgal Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:30 pm

Giggity5313 wrote:
Nirgal wrote:
CL Lyon round of 16

Dude, watch some of our games for a change. Di maria is the slowest decision maker in the world, he takes FOREVER to pass. Benzema probably will understand ronaldo on a 1-2, xabi alonso is too slow.

I've watched di maria since he was in rosario central. He, Xabi, Benzema and ozil are perfectly able to play 1-2s. The thing is that ronaldo actually has to try them instead of always trying to outpace defenders.
Nirgal
Nirgal
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next