The Franchise
Jack Daniels
arnoldinho
The Sanchez
billy_gr
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

How highly do you rate Pique? - Page 2 Empty Re: How highly do you rate Pique?

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:06 pm

In my opinion i thought Pique lacked a bit of that natural defensive skills. Which is why i think Sir Alex allowed him to go. ( thats just speculation on my part noting to be taken seriously)

My view of his lack of natural defensive skills could be down to the fact that other facets of his game are so tidy and well rounded. He isn't particularly slow, nor is he poor in the air, he is a masterful passer as well, yet there is always this niggling feeling that he is vulnerable. It just seems to me that his defensive side of his game isn't as far ahead of his other secondary skills.

I'm on the mind that it wasn't his defensive skills only that made him a success at barca but his ability with the ball and his compatibility with Puyol. Last season i thought he was exposed not only due to his lack of concentration of overall interest but tactically as well. Pep's change to a 3 back system bereft him of the leisure to stay centrally and not have to defend/cover at the byline. His size and physics make him a poor match against the type of players he got paired off against in the counter attack in la liga most notably against Sevilla where Navas took full adavantage of the 3 back system.

Like most centre backs, he is very uncomfortable defending the byline and due to Barca's excessive pressuring tactics there is usually lots of space in behind him, however due to his lack lustre style and nonchalance approach he positioned himself poorly or too slowly. Which ever was the case i thought Pep system was only compounding his poor form. What seems a bit concerning also is that i think he has added a bit more weight and is losing a bit of speed.

His greatest attribute i believe is his when he comes into a game with the right mentality and drive his focus is incredible to witness. Which he is in most big matches, he is rarely seen making an error on defense nor with the ball. It could be described as a perfect performance in truth.

I think he is a fantastic player in truth but i fear he isn't such a great defender not just because i think he lacks the skill ( defensively ) but because he doesn't uphold himself to the same standard of defending/performance throughout a season as he does in big games.

Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by The Franchise Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:12 pm

I think Sir Alex didnt want to let him go, he said so himself. Pique just came to him, almost pleading, as he wasnt getting gametime and Barca were offering him a chance.

I think in terms of his ability, Sir Alex probably didnt like his lack of physicality he showed at a young age. He was big and robust, but couldnt show it at his age in the tougher physical PL.

Excellent post otherwise though.

The Franchise
The Franchise
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rossoneri Ninja Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:13 am

You make an interesting point about his lack of physicality and might i add defensive presence to that list as well. At that time Fergie had Vidic and Rio at his disposal two defenders which defined the typical BPL defender at the time. Pique although talented is a stark contrast with regards to Rio and Vidic at that time.

Rossoneri Ninja
Rossoneri Ninja
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : AC Milan

Back to top Go down

Post by jibers Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:35 pm

Good layer. Never thought he was world class. Even in 10/11 Masxherano was Barcelonas best cb. He just lacks concentration. Being good on the ball is great but I never rated him as the best cb at any period. Again good defender, not solid enough for me.
jibers
jibers
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2