Would you be indifferent to the benching of a club legend and captain after a small patch of poor form?

+11
Great Leader Sprucenuce
_LMG_10_
vivabarca38
RealGunner
Pedram
Lord Hades
Rebaño Sagrado
The Franchise
the xcx
izzy
Le Samourai
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Would you be indifferent to the benching of a club legend and captain after a small patch of poor form? - Page 2 Empty Re: Would you be indifferent to the benching of a club legend and captain after a small patch of poor form?

Post by Onyx Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:04 am

Definitely. It's about having the best players. If the legend isn't good enough he should be benched and a better player should replace him.

Just because he's a legend/captain, doesn't mean he's special and deserves to start when he's past it/isn't performing.

Onyx
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Back to top Go down

Would you be indifferent to the benching of a club legend and captain after a small patch of poor form? - Page 2 Empty Re: Would you be indifferent to the benching of a club legend and captain after a small patch of poor form?

Post by Great Leader Sprucenuce Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:08 am

Schweini wrote:a player joins Liverpool and Mole stops rating them :coffee:

Allen actually intercepts more balls compared to Tiote, and his key passes are very comparable to Cabaye. He is a hybrid of both :bow:

Mate i rate him, but he is'nt that type of player.

He intercepts, gives very safe passes backwards or sideways.

Also Tiote does'nt intercept much and congrats at his key passes being comparable to Cabaye when he was deployed deeper than Tiote for most of last season he was practically a DM last season lol.

Anyway it was always a losing battle for Kluivert unfortunately, within weeks of him joining Sir Bobby was sacked and Souness was brought in. ( worst decision i have ever seen btw)

As i said it was obvious to anyone our best front 2 at that time was Kluivert and Bellamy but it was always going to be Kluivert or Shearer and he was never going to win that battle.

We should have started to use Kluivert and Bellamy and slowly moved Shearer aside but we did'nt and the rest is history and unfortunately for Kluivert he never got the success he deserved for us.

It's hard to move club legends aside because of the emotional attachment to them but i think if you have better options than the better move for the club should be made.

Great Leader Sprucenuce
Great Leader Sprucenuce
Forum Legend
Forum Legend

Club Supported : PSG

Back to top Go down

Post by LeBéninois Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:34 am

Drogba , Totti, Lampard , Raoul, ..... unless the coach doens't know how to manage the situation , if a player , even a legend , is not good enough he should be benched for the sake of the club and there is no problem

LeBéninois
LeBéninois
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:41 am

It depends on what we're referring to as "poor form" in my mind. For instance, when Carragher was giving up goals consistently because he didn't have the pace and was forcing the line back on his own, yeah, you bench him. His service to the club was great, but he's past his prime and hurting the team more than helping when out there; especially with other options, he can sit. Contrarily, if someone like Gerrard was going through a rough patch while he's still playing well for extended periods, no, I wouldn't want to see any other player's name on the team sheet. I'd be willing to bet that 2 years from now I'll feel differently about that.

The point is that while legend status and service to the club may buy you some extra time, no one person is greater than the team, and when it becomes clear that they're more liability than not, it's time to move on.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kick Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:54 am

Depends if we have a better replacement. if Terry had a run of Poor form I would not even consider benching him. He, Like Puyol is so much more than a CB to us.

Lampard or Cole might be benched if they had poor form. Cech would not as we have no replacement.
Kick
Kick
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Chelsea

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2