Ganso
Le Samourai
Freeza
68 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Movie House - Page 23 Empty Re: The Movie House

Post by Freeza Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:13 am

I actually find both Inglorious Basterds and Reservoir Dogs to be better than pulp fiction, which is imo one of the most overrated films of all time.
Also agree about Jamie Foxx not being right for the role, but don't know who else was going to play it, not many high profile black actors atm in that age, is there?

Golden Globe nominees out:
http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominations/golden-globes

Freeza
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:34 am

Freeza wrote:I actually find both Inglorious Basterds and Reservoir Dogs to be better than pulp fiction, which is imo one of the most overrated films of all time.
Also agree about Jamie Foxx not being right for the role, but don't know who else was going to play it, not many high profile black actors atm in that age, is there?

Golden Globe nominees out:
http://www.imdb.com/oscars/nominations/golden-globes

Well I think this movie would've been perfect for a lesser known Black actor....my pick would've been Anthony Mackie ( Papa Doc from 8-Mile,was also in the Hurt Locker and will be in Gangster Squad)...he looks menacing, but also has a nuanced look of angst about him that would've translated better. Django's character could've been much more than just flashy one-liners...which is all I've seen with Jamie Foxx's interpretation of him.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:46 am

Just so you guys know, Django Unchained was written with the intention of Will Smith being cast in Jaime Foxx's role. Learned that in the little preview movie quizzes when I went to see The Hobbit today Afro

On that topic, there were some absolute morons sitting behind me. I guess such things can be expected when you catch the advanced showing of a huge fantasy movie, but these guys acted like they knew everything about movies. They (loudly) discussed their criticisms of The Dark Knight Rises when a preview for Man of Steel was shown, discussing how one cannot truly appreciate such art without seeing it at least three times, as well as how 'Act 2' was a really strong part of the film despite many peoples' criticisms - to which I thought to myself: films do not have acts Rolling Eyes

They made so many stupid comments during The Hobbit too about how they felt the story flowed in comparison to other fantasy films, how Peter Jackson's character building skills compared to that of other great directors like Christopher Nolan (they really loved Batman), the score's usage and variety, etc. The problem wasn't that they were being analytical to such a degree, but that they wouldn't stfu. Many people in the area got annoyed. Anyway, on to more important matters concerning The Hobbit:

Spoiler:

Last edited by Eman on Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:31 am

Eman wrote:Just so you guys know, Django Unchained was written with the intention of Will Smith being cast in Jaime Foxx's role.

Would've been an even worse casting than Foxx honestly. I just keep thinking back to his role in Wild Wild West....it would've been very similar to that. Just not serious enough.
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RedOranje Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:37 pm

Wild Wild West was a brilliant film and the height of Will Smith's acting career (alongside Independence Day). I will hear NO criticism for that masterpiece.

@ Eman: Films DO have acts according to most professional critics and screenwriters, they're just not as rigidly defined in the actual film. If you look at the scripts for the movie a lot of times they will be labeled with Acts to help everyone involved.
RedOranje
RedOranje
Admin
Admin

Club Supported : Liverpool

Back to top Go down

Post by McLewis Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:17 pm

RedOranje wrote:Wild Wild West was a brilliant film and the height of Will Smith's acting career (alongside Independence Day). I will hear NO criticism for that masterpiece.

Found myself oddly fascinated with Kenneth Branagh's beard hmm

As for the movie itself, I was in love with it from the very first minute. Women we're top notch at least....Garcelle Beauvais, Salma Hayak, Bai Ling, Fredrique van der Val, Muzetta Vander....as good a reason for me to watch it as any Laughing
McLewis
McLewis
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Eman Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:44 pm

RedOranje wrote:@ Eman: Films DO have acts according to most professional critics and screenwriters, they're just not as rigidly defined in the actual film. If you look at the scripts for the movie a lot of times they will be labeled with Acts to help everyone involved.
Yeah I guess so, but that's just a way for writers/directors/producers/etc to organize the story and make sense of things. The idea of an act is that it represents a break in action to transition to the next part of the story, which practically does not occur during a movie. The script may not even be followed to a tee anyway. For any fan to casually refer to a part of a movie as 'Act 2' to kick off a conversation without referring to what even happens in Act 2 is very pretentious, especially since they would have had to have done thorough research to even figure that out.

Anyway, they were talking so loud that it was like they wanted people to be impressed with their knowledgeable opinions. My brother studied film production for a few years before his current degree and casually referred to them as 'art f*gs' (not the term I would have used, but I enjoyed it Laughing)
Eman
Eman
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:53 am

Watched Warrior and The Fighter in the last two days. Fairly similar movies in the fact that both their themes are dealing with family issues and fighting.

I usually live myself into movies. I come to think that it's the best way for me to understand them. And I'm sure that's what most of us do, or what we should do.

Anyways. It's always good to watch films like these. You know that inspirational story that tells you no matter how hard life can be and what it throws in your way, family's always there and an important factor in your life.

I kinda liked Warrior more. It had more passion in it. And two stellar performances from Tom Hardy and Nick Nolte. Two brother who enter this huge MMA tournament. They need the prize money for different understandable reasons. They have had troublesome relationships in their family and their father is juz there hoping they reconcile with each other. While The Fighter, is based on a true story of a brother (Christian Bale), who is a crack addict, and a mother, who juz doesn't want to accept the truth of their reality, who both stands in the way of Mickey Ward (Mark Wahlberg) reaching better heights in boxing than his brother did. Although all the brother and mother ever wanted was the best for their family.

Two good movies, imo. And must watches if you haven't watched them already.
My Ratings:
Warrior - 8.1/10
The Fighter - 8.0/10
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:57 am

By the way, Christian Bale was juz incredible in The Fighter. And before watching Warrior, I didn't know how Tom Hardy got so bulked up for TDKR. Well now I know. He was huge in Warrior, lol.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:48 pm

I saw Looper.
I was blown away. I heard some of the hype I never read into it nor did I have any expectations. I knew what the movie was somewhat about but man it's now one of my favorites to watch again
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:46 pm

^^^yeah Looper did the same to me. Smile

Juz finished watching End of Watch! And man what can I say...
Great movie. Two great performances from Gyllenhaal and Peña! I also liked the way that it is juz something different. You know this guy filming the everyday life of the ordinary cop, and then it develops into this whole great movie. Not the first movie that's done like this, of course. But still I highly recommend it. It's absolutely great. Right up there on my list of my favourite movies of 2012.

My Rating: 8.2/10
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:22 am

Aha I am loading up End of Watch now.
I've heard good things about it. Going to watch it with a open mind.
Will edit once I'm done.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Forza Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:38 am

Inglourious Basterds is a favourite film for many people, but for me it's not really a classic or even close to Tarantino's best. It's like this insane mash of cliched stories blended together to produce a predictably gory and violent conclusion. It's obviously not meant to be taken seriously, but at the same time it's not really comedic either. For most of the film, you just sit there and wonder how long it's going to be before the next Nazi head is blown off. I think there are some good performances and memorable lines, but it's nowhere near as fascinating as Pulp Fiction. It's almost like a B-grade shoot-em-up. It could've been done with some old guy from the Expendables instead of Brad Pitt and it would still have the same effect.

I know this is not going to be a popular view, but I just don't care for this film.
Forza
Forza
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Fulham

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:58 am

Just finished End of Watch.

So I didn't know what to expect. I was a bit thrown off with how the film is shot throughout it's entirety but I quickly got over it.Gyllenhaal and Peña nailed it. The perfect no homo bromance two best buds have. I was a bit sceptical at first because it seemed like it wasn't going anywhere but when it picks up man does it get interesting.

I give it a 8/10 for me.

Spoiler:
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:31 am

Watched UpsideDown....Very original. Had no idea what to expect as I hadn't seen the trailer or heard about it before a friend recommended it. But I really liked the concept of upside down world each with its own gravity. If only the storyline was a bit better. 7/10 on a good day.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Club Supported : Reggina

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:04 am

DENZEL :bow: :bow: Just finished "Flight" :bow: Denzel is a god among mere mortals. There is just no other way to put it. Great movie, I enjoyed it from start to finish. His acting once again was just out of this world. 9.5/10 for me.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by DeletedUser#1 Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:11 pm

The list of movies I've watched this past week.

the Haunting in Conncticut
Love and other Drugs
Pet Sematary (1989)

I liked all of them, but my god, Pet Sematary was scary as hell :bow:

DeletedUser#1
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Atletico Madrid

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:27 pm

ColoJunior wrote:Just finished End of Watch.

So I didn't know what to expect. I was a bit thrown off with how the film is shot throughout it's entirety but I quickly got over it.Gyllenhaal and Peña nailed it. The perfect no homo bromance two best buds have. I was a bit sceptical at first because it seemed like it wasn't going anywhere but when it picks up man does it get interesting.

I give it a 8/10 for me.

Spoiler:

I really, really did not like this movie. Was all excited - trailer looked good, got good reviews, and ended up super disappointed.

To start with, I agree - Gyllenhal and Pena were good, they got the bromance down perfectly. But I noticed the devices used throughout the movie to draw me into their relationship and make me care, and I don't like it when I'm pulled outside a movie like that.
Spoiler:

The worst part with me was the way it was shot though... They tried to do the found film/camcorder thing, but then gradually switched off of it - scenes which clearly only have one or two people present, and we're watching Gyllenhall hold a camcorder from a clearly set camera. Why include that in the movie if you're not staying consistent? By the end, it felt like they put cameras in the shot just to remind us "by the way, earlier we were trying to do the found footage thing, even though we're not anymore." My friends and I couldn't stop joking about it, and the humor detracted from every serious part of the movie. *Intense scene* "Wait, he's still holding a camera!!! Laughing"

Also, the villains were totally caricatures. They didn't even LOOK hispanic, they looked like white people trying to dress up as hispanics and put on thick accents to go with it. Either they were being overtly racist, or the whole movie was a meta-commentary on race relations in LA. Either way, it's pretty dumb.

4/10 for me, and that's only because of the hilarity that ensued while watching it.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Lyon

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:11 pm

I'm hispanic (colombian). And the hispanics in the movie are your stereotypical mexicans imo.

They nailed it down.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by El Gunner Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:29 pm

Blue Barrett wrote:
El_Gunner wrote:Well I have never seen Scarface and The Godfather before...
You're missing some of the GOATest movies. Watch 'em as soon as you can.
So I watched Scarface a few hours ago.

I don't know man... I mean, it was an okay movie but not anything close to GoodFellas imo.

I mean GoodFellas had more intensity and more excitement to it. Scarface juz doesn't come anywhere close to the greatness of GoodFellas in my honest opinion.
El Gunner
El Gunner
An Oakland City Warrior

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:32 pm

ColoJunior wrote:I'm hispanic (colombian). And the hispanics in the movie are your stereotypical mexicans imo.

They nailed it down.

I'm not hispanic, but I'm from a city that's about 70%, and they got the skin tone, looks and accent all VERY wrong. Not quite sure what you think was accurate...
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by RED Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:42 am

I agree with those praising Looper. That's a great movie. Very original.
RED
RED
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Manchester United

Back to top Go down

Post by FalcaoPunch Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:55 am

stevieg8 wrote:
ColoJunior wrote:I'm hispanic (colombian). And the hispanics in the movie are your stereotypical mexicans imo.

They nailed it down.

I'm not hispanic, but I'm from a city that's about 70%, and they got the skin tone, looks and accent all VERY wrong. Not quite sure what you think was accurate...

Mexicans. Of maybe a couple generations. Lighter complexion. one of the guys had the number 13 tattoed on his head. Maybe MS - 13?

Lighter complexion would make sense because some salvadorans are very light skinned. The woman? Same answer. The accents are thick and the language/dialect is what you would expect from a sterotypical central american gangster.
FalcaoPunch
FalcaoPunch
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by TalkingReckless Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:46 am

2013 will be the year of Cumberbatch, Star Trek (Main Villain), Hobbit(Smuag & Necromancer (aka Sauron) and new Sherlock bounce.

He will finally get the fame he should be getting US
TalkingReckless
TalkingReckless
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by McAgger Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:53 am

stevieg8 wrote:

They nailed it down.

AZ is 99% hispanic, trust me they got it spot on.
McAgger
McAgger
Ballon d'Or Contender
Ballon d'Or Contender

Back to top Go down

Post by stevieg8 Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:33 pm

ColoJunior wrote:
stevieg8 wrote:

They nailed it down.

Mexicans. Of maybe a couple generations. Lighter complexion. one of the guys had the number 13 tattoed on his head. Maybe MS - 13?

Lighter complexion would make sense because some salvadorans are very light skinned. The woman? Same answer. The accents are thick and the language/dialect is what you would expect from a sterotypical central american gangster.

I'm not saying the light skin alone would've done it, obviously they could be. It was all-around everything about the characters. And I think stereotypes have a place in movies, they can be used very well, so don't get me wrong - I'm not offended by it. I just couldn't take the characters seriously. I felt like I was watching a cartoon villain.
stevieg8
stevieg8
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next