Madvillain
Arquitecto
The Sanchez
FCBarça
FennecFox7
BarcaKizz
10 posters

Go down

Puyol's Kindness Unites Catalans and Basques Empty Puyol's Kindness Unites Catalans and Basques

Post by BarcaKizz Sun May 27, 2012 4:18 am

Following Friday’s 0-3 win in the Copa del Rey final, Catalan paper Mundo Deportivo picked up a touching story about one 8 year old Bilbao fan’s encounter with Carles Puyol and the flag that united the two of them. The following is a translation of the article, the original can be found here.

It was a Basque flag that was being waved by Carles Puyol in the zone where the fans of Athletic sportingly applauded Barça while the blaugrana squad walked with the Copa del Rey trophy around the pitch of the Vicente Calderón stadium.

The captain, respectful of all rivals, but especially thoughtful when it comes to Basque clubs, knotted the flag around his waist and displayed it next to the Catalan Senyera during the entire celebration. But the Basque flag Puyol carried was not just any flag: it belonged to Ibai, an 8 year old boy who realized as the minutes passed what he was on the verge of losing. It was with this flag with that he had cheered on Athletic in San Mamés alongside his father, the flag with which they traveled to Manchester to experience a great night at Old Trafford, the flag which had wiped their tears in Bucharest and in Madrid, but also the flag which he has exhibited with pride during his trips to other matches and which he wanted to continue displaying at the future finals of his beloved team. For a boy who has witnessed the sensational season of the red and whites, overcoming the disappointment of the first few games, he does not have the same doubts that assail the adults: for him this season is not unrepeatable, they will reach more finals and Athletic will win.

Will Carles Puyol keep the Basque flag?

Ibai was excited to see Puyol on the pitch with his flag, but when he missed his flag he became disconsolate and began to cry. And his father, because for someone from Bilbao nothing is impossible, understood that this was a challenge that would have to be dealt with. The two went to the area where, after 1 in the morning, the players from both teams headed to their respective buses. Among a swarm of people behind the fences and police horses, he tried to get himself heard until Athletic’s bus driver understood his message. The message was then passed to the driver of Barça’s bus. And between the two they explained to Puyol what had happened. Ibai and his father, with the permission of both clubs to pass through the police barrier, had already reached the captain of Barça, but the most important thing was still missing. Had he saved the flag? Had he lost it in the locker room festivities or given it away to another Athletic fan at random?

And when Puyol got off of the buss with the flag in his hand, Ibai’s face lit up for the first time since Pedro’s early goal in the final. Puyi gave him a kiss, a hug, and posed with him for photographs, he was so affectionate that the child was moved. He could not say a word, just trembled, but his gaze gave heartfelt thanks. And one day in the not so distant future, when he celebrates a title with Athletic, he will remember Puyol as a friend, never as a rival.

Read more: http://www.totalbarca.com/2012/news/puyols-kindness-unites-catalans-and-basques/#ixzz1w2K5F6cq
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Barcelona

Back to top Go down

Puyol's Kindness Unites Catalans and Basques Empty Re: Puyol's Kindness Unites Catalans and Basques

Post by FennecFox7 Sun May 27, 2012 4:22 am

GOAT Story, GOAT person :bow:
FennecFox7
FennecFox7
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Real Madrid

Back to top Go down

Puyol's Kindness Unites Catalans and Basques Empty Re: Puyol's Kindness Unites Catalans and Basques

Post by FCBarça Sun May 27, 2012 8:09 am

Puyol, legend...I expected no other outcome to that story

Last edited by BarcaKizz on Sun May 27, 2012 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Pic too large)
FCBarça
FCBarça
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by The Sanchez Sun May 27, 2012 11:24 am

Amazing player though it took time to read and understand the article...
The Sanchez
The Sanchez
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am

I'm surprised this wonderful gesture of kindness hasn't been commented on further.

The loss of Bilbao on both finals was a big hit on the morale for us Basque's since losing is very very badly taken within our culture.

We didn't take the loss Atletico to well as losing to a team of the Madrid comunidad made it even worse.

The loss to Barca was crushing under the bad form of Athletic Club and of course, the scoreline as Basque's alike were near inconsolable. What did provide solace was that our fellow brother Catalans won and as usual, showed even more grace and kindness to our loss than usual as this gesture goes back traditionally almost.

The Catalan effort to provide solace to the Basque loss was a great one whether expected or not from them. Us Euskadi are very bad losers but our whole media even noted how well everyone took to a positive note after the CDR as I would attribute a lot of the Catalan friendship in one of the reasons for this.

As for Puyol, I'm not surprised the least bit as he along with Xavi, Pep, and Pique (Don't know about Valdes and the rest of the Catala) have always shown their respect and friendship to Basque as this is much appreciated.

Puyi missing out in Europe is a big blow as the absence of his leadership in the backline will be felt.

Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Sociedad

Back to top Go down

Post by Madvillain Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:49 pm

Puyi. The beast with a heart of gold. :bow:
Madvillain
Madvillain
Starlet
Starlet

http://thvnderbvrst.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:20 pm

Why so few Athletic Bilbao supporters wear a Ikurriña at matches Arquitecto?

The ratio of catalan independentist flags vs. Ikurriñas maybe was 20 to 1.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Gomez83 Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:59 am

Carlos Puyol supporting rivals fans - 1
Cr7 - 0
Laughing just kidding... Smile Great gesture from our captain, has a big heart.
Gomez83
Gomez83
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:05 pm

free_cat wrote:Why so few Athletic Bilbao supporters wear a Ikurriña at matches Arquitecto?

tbh I would prefer it too if the barca fans would take less independentist flags to games. Not because I am pro spain or anti catalan, but because I despise politics in sports and prefer if the 2 things would never mix with each other..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by BarrileteCosmico Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:57 pm

Barca and catalan nationalism are impossible to separate.
BarrileteCosmico
BarrileteCosmico
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:47 pm

I know thats why I didnt say anything about the official catalan flag, which I think is perfectly fine, just the independent ones..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:50 am

harhar11 wrote:
free_cat wrote:Why so few Athletic Bilbao supporters wear a Ikurriña at matches Arquitecto?

tbh I would prefer it too if the barca fans would take less independentist flags to games. Not because I am pro spain or anti catalan, but because I despise politics in sports and prefer if the 2 things would never mix with each other..

Then you won't be following the Euros, will you? Otherwise you are being incoherent.

Uff, your post is wrong in so many ways....

First, politics and sports are completely linked. There are teams of the comunists (Livorno), teams of the catholics/irish (celtic), teams of the catholics/british (Glasgow), teams of the poor (Rayo Vallecano, Betis...), teams of spanish nationalists (Madrid), and us: the team of the catalans and the less advantadged.

Barça has been supporting Catalanist political positions almost since its foundation. I'd better we disappear than we stop being loyal to our roots.

If you disagree, I would sugest you change clubs.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by BarcaKizz Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:12 am

harhar11 wrote:I know thats why I didnt say anything about the official catalan flag, which I think is perfectly fine, just the independent ones..

Politics is linked with sport. Get used to it.

And what Free said... unless you understand what Barca represents, you're not really supporting them.
BarcaKizz
BarcaKizz
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:47 am

free_cat wrote:

Then you won't be following the Euros, will you? Otherwise you are being incoherent.

Uff, your post is wrong in so many ways....

First, politics and sports are completely linked. There are teams of the comunists (Livorno), teams of the catholics/irish (celtic), teams of the catholics/british (Glasgow), teams of the poor (Rayo Vallecano, Betis...), teams of spanish nationalists (Madrid), and us: the team of the catalans and the less advantadged.

Barça has been supporting Catalanist political positions almost since its foundation. I'd better we disappear than we stop being loyal to our roots.

If you disagree, I would sugest you change clubs.

I guess we have different view on this because of the way we were raised.

I will be following the EURO, but I dont see what that will have to do with anything seeing as I will support sweden and once sweden goes out I will support the teams that have barca players. If it wasnt for xavi, iniesta, pedro etc I wouldn't give a crap about Spain..

I have never said that politics never mix with football I just said that I dont like it.

--

And Kizz, I only though that barca represent the catalan culture and wants to preserve it but I didnt know the club represented indepent although I do know that some individual in the past and now have wanted it like, Oleguer, Pique, Pep, Sandro and Laporta..

Just to make something clear to both of you. I have absolutely no problem with them having the catalan flag(Senyera) nor do I have a problem if they want to get independency,nor should I, and neither did I say that you should forget your roots, that would be hypocritical of me and stupid to say, but I just dont like it when they try to mix the game with politics one way or the other(the other way being anti-independent) or bring flags with politcal agenda to the games.

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by free_cat Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:33 pm

Well, I think you should change your point of view from " I don't like it" to " I don't agree, but I respect it".

Anything that happens in Catalunya these days, happens with a estelada on the background. We are in a non stopable process of independence (in my opinion) and political agenda shows everywhere, now more than ever.

For example, in the Cup final, barça fans chanted "in-inde-independència!", something I've never witnessed before (I was there):

Also, not to mention the tremendous whistling to spanish hymn:

And other chants against Esperanza Aguirre (Madrid's Comunity president who had said that if the hymn was whistled, the match should be suspended).

So... you'll have to get used to it, cause I don't see this decreasing until either Catalunya becomes independent, or we disappear as a nation.
free_cat
free_cat
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by harhar11 Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:47 pm

"I dont like it" doesnt mean that "I dont respect it", though. All I said was that they should try to keep the two things apart. Because lets be honest, if you bring politics/religion to football than it can get out of hands and football should just be for entertainment..

harhar11
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Arquitecto Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:19 pm

I just saw this question.

I have an explanation, notice the Athletic club supporters carry these green and red scarves which essentially represent the colors of the Ikurrina. Yes they usually carry the Ikurrina, but the scarves and banner colors represent them.

I also think this might have been curious to you since the sheer disparity between the Catalan independentist flags and the Ikurrina made it seem as if the Ikurrina was scarce.

Although I must admit there usually is a bigger amount of Ikurrina sightings within the Athletic club fans.
Arquitecto
Arquitecto
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Real Sociedad

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down