SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Gervinho - Page 2 Empty Re: Gervinho

Post by Lex Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:32 pm

This thread makes me sick. Sell him? Not a first team player? People should be banned for comments like that

First year in a new league and people want his head on a platter because he doesn't score 25 goals Rolling Eyes Despite being one of the more exciting buys we've made in recent times :facepalm:
Lex
Lex
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Valencia

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:58 pm

Too critical ya are Gooners.

After Arteta, Mertesacker, Santos, Jenkinson, the Ox, and Benayoun he's been my favorite Summer Signing Very Happy
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by SamuelJayC Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:00 pm

Remember Hleb and Koscielny in first year. Remember Henry and Pires in first year.
SamuelJayC
SamuelJayC
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

https://twitter.com/samuelJayC

Back to top Go down

Post by OLpower Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Gervinho outshined Hazard in the eyes of many last season in the french championship. I don't know what happenned with him this season at Arsenal but he has definitely the level to be a lethal weapon for your club.
OLpower
OLpower
Banned (Permanent)

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:29 am

Give him time just like Chamack Razz jokes, i like Gervais but he is too hit and miss in the final third. That's my beef with him, i wouldn't sell him because he is still a decent bench option when you got injuries.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by II Capitano Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:59 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:It's strange to think a player with 15 goals and 15 assists for Lille last season could have such a poor end product after moving clubs. Even if the ACON dented his confidence, that doesn't really excuse the poor performances before the tournament.

Hazard to Chelsea is still very much a possibility, since they're are literally going to be rebuilding their whole attack. In any case, Hazard to Arsenal is never going to happen, purely on the basis that signing him would exhaust our entire transfer budget and would prevent us from making significant investments in other areas of the pitch.

They have Sturridge, Malouda, Mata, Kalou and now Marin, as contenders for the spots on the wing. I can see Malouda and Kalou leaving, as they haven't proved anything this season, however, the Frenchman could potentially stay after we he had offered in their title-winning campaign. The reason I say they won't be in for Hazard is because there is genuine interest in Hulk, which is more likelier to come to fruition (though, I don't know his release clause). I do agree with you regarding bidding for Hazard, but he is one hell of a player that offers more than your wingers. He has played over 100 consecutive games, which is something different, wow.

GoonerJay29 wrote:I'm also pretty happy with Walcott and Chamberlain as our right wing options, but that's probably just me.

In hindisight, it was probably just as well that we signed Gervinho instead of Hazard, as signing Hazard would have almost certainly prevented us from signing the four or five other players that were needed to bolster the squad.

You pretty much are of the minority. I think he has had a good season, but he has been, once again, far too inconsistent, probably on the level of Bale in terms of consistency, in and out, if you like. Walcott can improve so much if he learned how to have a go at full backs, I feel that his confidence isn't up to scratch, and more importantly, he lacks a good footballing brain to take this side forward. I do give him the benefit of the doubt, because he's still fairly young and he's bound to improve.

I agree. It was a much better decision in investing in squad players than one big signing, certainly when you look at the way things have panned out this season.

GoonerJay29 wrote:Wenger is persistent because he truly believes in the quality of his players. His persistence with some players has really paid off in some cases. Just from the current squad: Song, Rosicky, Walcott and, to a certain extent, van Persie are all players have benefited from Wenger's continued faith.

With any luck, Gervinho will follow suit. Having his position come under threat by Podolski and maybe even Benayoun might help him up his game.

That's why I seem to like him. I like managers who stick with players who received a lot of unwarranted stick sometimes. For instance, Fletcher was deemed as mediocre and "had no future at Manchester United", but dominated the midfield from 2008-2010, where he was a beast. Also, EVans was heavily criticised last season, and look where he is now: he's been monstrous this season.

Like I said though, Gervinho is more than likely to improve, but for now he simply isn't a first team player. I tend to disregard Lex and whoever, and like to read your posts, as he is so biased it's unbearable really. Everything you have said is accurate. Good post, mate.
II Capitano
II Capitano
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:28 am

They have Sturridge, Malouda, Mata, Kalou and now Marin, as contenders for the spots on the wing. I can see Malouda and Kalou leaving, as they haven't proved anything this season, however, the Frenchman could potentially stay after we he had offered in their title-winning campaign. The reason I say they won't be in for Hazard is because there is genuine interest in Hulk, which is more likelier to come to fruition (though, I don't know his release clause). I do agree with you regarding bidding for Hazard, but he is one hell of a player that offers more than your wingers. He has played over 100 consecutive games, which is something different, wow.

Porto always drive a hard bargain when it comes to selling their prized assets. They managed to get 45mil euros for Falcao, so it wouldn't surprise if they asked for a similar price for Hulk, who's been just as good for Porto as Falcao was.

There's no denying that whoever ends up with Hazard in the end will have a world class player on their hands and if anyone gets him for under £30mil will have gotten a very good deal. So much quality and consistency already at a young age.

You pretty much are of the minority. I think he has had a good season, but he has been, once again, far too inconsistent, probably on the level of Bale in terms of consistency, in and out, if you like. Walcott can improve so much if he learned how to have a go at full backs, I feel that his confidence isn't up to scratch, and more importantly, he lacks a good footballing brain to take this side forward. I do give him the benefit of the doubt, because he's still fairly young and he's bound to improve.

Those are fair and true criticisms of him. As an individual, Walcott performs best in certain conditions and isn't likely to win or change games by himself. However, I tend to value him more for his ability to link up with Sagna, Rosicky and van Persie and a lot of our best attacks come as a result of those four combining, not to mention I think he's the only other player in this current squad that can score a goal (even then, he seems to struggle to consistently hit the back of the net).

By contrast, I think Gervinho is capable of creating something out of nothing, but as said before, he cannot consistently produce that end product.

I agree. It was a much better decision in investing in squad players than one big signing, certainly when you look at the way things have panned out this season.

I cannot even begin to imagine how our season would have gone without those signings. Santos and Mertesacker filled in well for our injured defenders and Arteta and Benayoun have added a lot of stability and composure to our game with their experience and discipline.

That's why I seem to like him. I like managers who stick with players who received a lot of unwarranted stick sometimes. For instance, Fletcher was deemed as mediocre and "had no future at Manchester United", but dominated the midfield from 2008-2010, where he was a beast. Also, EVans was heavily criticised last season, and look where he is now: he's been monstrous this season.

Admittedly, I was one of those people who didn't think much of Fletcher and Evans, but ultimately I was proven wrong. I've been proven wrong about a few Arsenal players this season, too (Rosicky, especially). Shows what I know.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by 6unner Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:50 am

GoonerJay29 wrote:

Wenger is persistent because he truly believes in the quality of his players. His persistence with some players has really paid off in some cases. Just from the current squad: Song, Rosicky, Walcott and, to a certain extent, van Persie are all players have benefited from Wenger's continued faith.

With any luck, Gervinho will follow suit. Having his position come under threat by Podolski and maybe even Benayoun might help him up his game.

Slightly different faith in RVP and Rosicky though. The faith in them did not have to do with consistency. It was that they would eventually be able to stay healthy.

6unner
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:18 am

6unner wrote:
GoonerJay29 wrote:

Wenger is persistent because he truly believes in the quality of his players. His persistence with some players has really paid off in some cases. Just from the current squad: Song, Rosicky, Walcott and, to a certain extent, van Persie are all players have benefited from Wenger's continued faith.

Slightly different faith in RVP and Rosicky though. The faith in them did not have to do with consistency. It was that they would eventually be able to stay healthy.

Regardless, it's the same idea for Gervinho. It's his first season and it's not even over yet. Watch him win us the next two games and everyone hop on him.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Tue May 01, 2012 4:39 pm

I think he has done well for his first year in EPL after missing many games. Gervinho will get better, he has no problem taking on players just his end product are letting him down.

Next year we will see much better Gervinho, no way we should even think about selling him.
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by KMD Tue May 01, 2012 11:21 pm

fans became impatient, because we want trophies and Wenger shows too much trust in mediocre players. That's why some are frustrated with gerv, ramsey and such.

I think both ramsey and gerv will perform, just not this season, and too bad there is no one else to put in their positions.
KMD
KMD
Starlet
Starlet

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Wed May 02, 2012 12:58 am

Rosicky is 100% better than Ramsey at were Ramsey is being played, and that is why Ramsey has been on the pine, and next season Podolski will be on the left, so both of them are looking like squad players at best next season.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Wed May 02, 2012 4:54 am

Why would Podolski playing on the left force Rambo AND Rozza to the bench? Nah, Rozza should play a fairly prominent role since his form is outstanding but his playing time will be affected by Wilshere and Arteta returning and maybe another midfield signing but Podolski won't directly affect him.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Artilleristen Wed May 02, 2012 4:58 am

MJGunner wrote:Why would Podolski playing on the left force Rambo AND Rozza to the bench? Nah, Rozza should play a fairly prominent role since his form is outstanding but his playing time will be affected by Wilshere and Arteta returning and maybe another midfield signing but Podolski won't directly affect him.
I meant Gervinho to the bench, since that is were he plays, that is my bad.
Artilleristen
Artilleristen
Hot Prospect
Hot Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by Motogp69 Mon May 14, 2012 3:01 pm

Raptorgunner wrote:I think he has done well for his first year in EPL after missing many games. Gervinho will get better, he has no problem taking on players just his end product are letting him down.

Next year we will see much better Gervinho, no way we should even think about selling him.

Pesronally, Gervinho is amazing in terms of talent, but he has the type of problem you can't fix: he has no vision.

He could be a world class footballer should he sort this out, but I think this WBA match was a perfect example of why it's so frustrating watching him on the pitch.

He just creates opporunity after opportunity, but he doesn't see them, or doesn't have an awareness of where he should aniticipate them.

Instead he looks great running down the pitch, taking on all defenders, but then once he gets into the attacking third he does something stupid and gives the other squad a goal kick.

Rinse, wash, and repeat 15 times.
Motogp69
Motogp69
First Team
First Team

Club Supported : Roma

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2