urbaNRoots
Sri
EL Patron
20 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gervinho Empty Gervinho

Post by EL Patron Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Apart from Theo and Ramsey, is this guy the most frustrating player in the squad ??
Very very poor in the final third, he does everything well then always *bleep* up in the final third. The way he bottled out of that header was a disgrace Gervinho 2276801876

EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Club Supported : Arsenal

Back to top Go down

Gervinho Empty Re: Gervinho

Post by Sri Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:43 pm

Lol.. I love the way you find single players at fault everytime! Razz

I can never do that.. But I respect your passion and love towards the club.. But you and Raptor really tickle me with bashing individual players Razz Razz

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:49 pm

He's frustrating honestly, he does all the job dribbling and defending but can't pass/shoot to save his life. And I'm really surprised because Wenger always improves players in those things.
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name

Back to top Go down

Post by Sri Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:51 pm

urbaNRoots wrote:He's frustrating honestly, he does all the job dribbling and defending but can't pass/shoot to save his life. And I'm really surprised because Wenger always improves players in those things.

He hasn't featured much since the turn of the year. May be because he has to improve some aspects of his game. I think he has forgotten how to score tbh. Same as Chamakh.

Sri
Wer ko, der ko

Club Supported : RO Blank

Back to top Go down

Post by Wilson37 Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Yeah he is the third one in the list..
I dont think this is bashing individual players.. We are focussing on some players more because they are keeping on making the same mistakes..
He is the only one in our current team who tries to take on players.. He does it with a good success rate but again tries to take another one and ends up being outmuscled or playing a poor pass or cross..
He needs to learn when to pass.. and needs to keep in mind that he is not Messi to dribble 2-3 players alone..
And really needs to improve finishing.. I remember we talking about playing him in centre as backup for RVP when we bought him.. But now ?
Wilson37
Wilson37
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:13 pm

He actually showed improvement today scratch

He showed his vision against Chelsea with his chance with RVP but this guy needs a break. He's hardly ever started consistently because of his red and AFCON and the emergence of the OX. I am confident he'll show his worth fully next year like Koscielny did. Regardless, this was a fine first season for him, he'll do better.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:13 pm

I've been on this guy's case since October/November time. He's a very good dribbler and his movement his good, but his inability to produce anything, be it a pass, cross or shot, makes him such a frustrating player.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, because it's his first year in England and if he improves he'll be a really good player, but I'd pick Podolski over him any day of the week.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:20 pm

srigooner wrote:
urbaNRoots wrote:He's frustrating honestly, he does all the job dribbling and defending but can't pass/shoot to save his life. And I'm really surprised because Wenger always improves players in those things.

He hasn't featured much since the turn of the year. May be because he has to improve some aspects of his game. I think he has forgotten how to score tbh. Same as Chamakh.

lol i like him but he has been doing this all season, he can beat players but his end product is very poor. This is annoying because with Robin not firing as he was before we need the goals
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by REWB Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:24 pm

not a player that can take us the next level, if he doesnt improve next season (which i knew he wont because he has always had a poor final ball) he should be sold. you have to be ruthless if you want to win things, this is the football life now
REWB
REWB
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:47 pm

Yeah, ruthless but not ridiculous. He has next year to show his worth and I think he can. He just needs a summer to nail his form down and carry it into next year. He could be unbelievable for us if he did. If not, yeah sell him.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by waitressinthesky Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:05 pm

I HATE the African Cup of Nations. Sad

Rough watching Gerv play... would prefer Benayoun and/or the Ox to get more playing time. Even Chamakh played better, I'd say, overall.

waitressinthesky
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Chamakh always looks bored on the pitch and dives. Same today. Gervinho had some bright moments and I hope he plays against Norwich.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by Raptorgunner Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:23 pm

srigooner wrote:Lol.. I love the way you find single players at fault everytime! Razz

I can never do that.. But I respect your passion and love towards the club.. But you and Raptor really tickle me with bashing individual players Razz Razz
Embarassed Embarassed
Raptorgunner
Raptorgunner
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:24 pm

MJGunner wrote:Chamakh always looks bored on the pitch and dives. Same today. Gervinho had some bright moments and I hope he plays against Norwich.

No offence but Chamack is gutless
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:34 pm

tbf almost ALL of our players screw up in the final third.

Gervinho was a good buy imo, but we need a coach who can teach finishing or something (henry???) we dont have much composure in that area and it's plainly obvious.
lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by waitressinthesky Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:38 pm

...or we could just have Henry PLAY for us.

Chamakh definitely isn't a good finisher.

waitressinthesky
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by EL Patron Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Yes but Gervinho is a professional , does he really need Wenger to teach him how to finish ??. Surely he must be thinking might end product is a bit shit, i must work on that.
EL Patron
EL Patron
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by MJ Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:40 pm

gunnerlistick wrote:
MJGunner wrote:Chamakh always looks bored on the pitch and dives. Same today. Gervinho had some bright moments and I hope he plays against Norwich.

No offence but Chamack is gutless

lol why would I be offended? It's kinda true.
MJ
MJ
Fan Favorite
Fan Favorite

Back to top Go down

Post by waitressinthesky Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:47 pm

I really don't think we NEED a midfielder the same way we need decent striking/wing options. Today's game proved this. Rosicky, Benayoun and even Ramsey fared alright along with Song. (Not to mention we have the amazing injured duo of Wilshere and Arteta, and our delicate little Diaby.)

Didn't really miss Walcott today (though I'm not someone evil who is GLAD he's injured).

waitressinthesky
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by DuringTheWar Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:52 pm

My impression of gervinho this season is summed up by a moment in the game away to everton, where the ball was running out of play for an everton goal kick, despite easily being within his reach, he just decided to give up and let it go out, and then proceeded to strut away like he couldnt care less about it. The guy has almost no end product, partly because he has shown no drive on the pitch, as summed up in that incident. His shots and final passes lack conviction, as if he is scared or too embarrased to put his all into it
DuringTheWar
DuringTheWar
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by waitressinthesky Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:57 pm

I think we'd need to let more players go than JUST those two. Anyway, I wouldn't mind keeping Benayoun around. Played hard today, wish he hadn't missed that first attempt, especially when it was all of his hard work on that interception...

(Yeah, yeah, I know he wouldn't just be content to be a squad player for us.)

waitressinthesky
Prospect
Prospect

Back to top Go down

Post by II Capitano Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:01 pm

This is the perfect opportunity for Arsenal (and us) to sign Hazard. Essentially, Chelsea have made the way clear for one of us anyway, haven confirmed the signing of Marin, and also potentially the signing of Hulk. Of course there is the possibility of Real Madrid, but for some reason, despite Hazard being an arrogant footballer, I can't see him moving to Spain. If he were to move to Arsenal, that would show Wenger's ambitions, it would make Arsenal's front line formidable, absolutely electric on paper: Podolski, van Persie (granted the Dutchman stays) and Hazard is a real mouthful.

As for Gervinho, he isn't first team quality, merely a squad player, at best. For me, what stands out in Wenger is his sheer persistence with some of these players, I have never seen a manager like him, who is willing to give some of these young players chance after chance, despite failing to find consistency. To be fair to Gervinho, he does most things right, I mean, he can dribble, sometimes he looks like a world class player, and defend, but it's his ability to play the killer ball and finishing off chances (which he finished off last season with Lille) that frustrates. He'll become better next season. The ACN (missing a penalty in the final) has done nothing but hinder his progress, and I thought this was his best game since coming back.
II Capitano
II Capitano
Starlet
Starlet

Club Supported : Marseille

Back to top Go down

Post by lenear1030 Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:22 pm

gunnerlistick wrote:Yes but Gervinho is a professional , does he really need Wenger to teach him how to finish ??. Surely he must be thinking might end product is a bit shit, i must work on that.

Well if that is indeed the case, how's that been working out for him?

lenear1030
lenear1030
First Team
First Team

Back to top Go down

Post by Jay29 Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 pm

It's strange to think a player with 15 goals and 15 assists for Lille last season could have such a poor end product after moving clubs. Even if the ACON dented his confidence, that doesn't really excuse the poor performances before the tournament.

This is the perfect opportunity for Arsenal (and us) to sign Hazard. Essentially, Chelsea have made the way clear for one of us anyway, haven confirmed the signing of Marin, and also potentially the signing of Hulk. Of course there is the possibility of Real Madrid, but for some reason, despite Hazard being an arrogant footballer, I can't see him moving to Spain. If he were to move to Arsenal, that would show Wenger's ambitions, it would make Arsenal's front line formidable, absolutely electric on paper: Podolski, van Persie (granted the Dutchman stays) and Hazard is a real mouthful.

Hazard to Chelsea is still very much a possibility, since they're are literally going to be rebuilding their whole attack. In any case, Hazard to Arsenal is never going to happen, purely on the basis that signing him would exhaust our entire transfer budget and would prevent us from making significant investments in other areas of the pitch.

I'm also pretty happy with Walcott and Chamberlain as our right wing options, but that's probably just me.

In hindisight, it was probably just as well that we signed Gervinho instead of Hazard, as signing Hazard would have almost certainly prevented us from signing the four or five other players that were needed to bolster the squad.

As for Gervinho, he isn't first team quality, merely a squad player, at best. For me, what stands out in Wenger is his sheer persistence with some of these players, I have never seen a manager like him, who is willing to give some of these young players chance after chance, despite failing to find consistency.

Wenger is persistent because he truly believes in the quality of his players. His persistence with some players has really paid off in some cases. Just from the current squad: Song, Rosicky, Walcott and, to a certain extent, van Persie are all players have benefited from Wenger's continued faith.

With any luck, Gervinho will follow suit. Having his position come under threat by Podolski and maybe even Benayoun might help him up his game.

Jay29
World Class Contributor
World Class Contributor

Club Supported : Sevilla

Back to top Go down

Post by urbaNRoots Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Someone asked to sell him already :facepalm:

Atleast wait till he ends his first year :facepalm:
urbaNRoots
urbaNRoots
First of his name